ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Richardson in the Florida run game - Does Miller's Injury Change How AR Plays?

Miller secured the backup quarterback role, Gators looking for more depth​

While Richardson is the unquestioned starter, Napier has made an effort to prepare Miller to play in 2022.

“Jack’s very capable. I would say this going all the way back to spring. He’s moved our team. Understanding the spring game, he threw a couple (of) interceptions and all that. But he’s consistently made the right decision. He’s very capable, he’s got arm talent. He’s accurate, and he’s a good athlete. So I think we made a really good decision there. Realize that he is a freshman, right? And he has four years to play."

EDIT
Looking back, I was perhaps too critical of Miller's spring game performance. Changing teams, coaching staffs, offensive systems, etc was a lot for him to grasp in a short period of time.

Hoping that we give him some meaningful game experience & that he plays well.

Looking for a third-string QB​

The Gators have four scholarship quarterbacks but redshirt freshman Jalen Kitna is currently sidelined with an injury. Kitna had to undergo a small surgery for the undisclosed injury on Monday but was showing signs of growth prior.

“I would say Kitna is the player that I probably saw the most growth in, you know from spring practice to see him take another step fundamentally. I think he’s throwing the ball much more consistently, much more accurately, better grasp,” Napier said of Kitna.

That injury is opening up an opportunity for the true freshman, Max Brown. Brown, understandably, is swimming a little right now.

“Max is a rookie player. He’s going through those growing pains that most quarterbacks go through,” Napier said. “Everybody’s a little bigger and a little faster, information, a lot to process there. And he’s a reflection of most of the rookies on our team.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...arterback-role-gators-looking-for-more-depth/
Miller and Kitna both out at this time but very much hoping Miller wont miss much. Really need him to get reps prior to Utah. Hearing a walk on getting #2 reps ahead of Max.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
WO QB is St. Thomas Aquinas 7A State Champ Runner-up.
UF 2-3-4 QB's are better than Utah's starter imo.
#26 QB-pp Cameron Rising 6-2 218 rsJr ***

No matter how long he waits to get his shot as a Gator, Max will be the 2nd best QB on the current roster, so book it from the iG...

WO QB is St. Thomas Aquinas 7A State Champ Runner-up.
UF 2-3-4 QB's are better than Utah's starter imo.
#26 QB-pp Cameron Rising 6-2 218 rsJr ***

No matter how long he waits to get his shot as a Gator, Max will be the 2nd best QB on the current roster, so book it from the iG...

You must have not watched Utah's QB much as he is the real deal. He would currently run circles around any QB we have not named Richardson.

You must have not watched Utah's QB much as he is the real deal. He would currently run circles around any QB we have not named Richardson.
Oh, well feel free to post his HS Sr stats for comparison to Brown's. Rising is a 3 star #26 QB-pp that ended up at Utah for a reason... Had he gone to a bigger/better school, he'd have hit the xfer portal after a season or 2...
He had a commit to OK (coaching change), then he danced around with TX for a time, before doing the smart thing for him and signing with UU.

Napier ran off 2 better and higher rated QB's in Jones and Del Rio-Wilson. Rising is about on a level with Miller imo.

Rising is a decent 'game manager' QB for a place like Utah....
P - 2,493 Yds, 63.3%, 20 TD's, 5 Ints, QBR 84.2 (146.7)
R - 79 for 499 Yds, 6.7 ypc, 6 TD's
Stats accumulated vs the 2021 #47 SoS
(11 SEC teams played Top 50 SoS's, with 9 higher than UU's)

UU Ranked Opponents for 2021
L - #19 BYU
L - #25 SDSt
L - NR OreSt
W - #22 Ore
W - #22 Ore 9-4 for Pac-12 C
L - #6 tOSU (schmuckeyes missing 24 players in bowl due to injury or ED's to NFL)
Utah's only weak claim to 2021 fame, was in beating a mediocre 9-4 Ore team for the LAC-12-C

And you must not have known or understood the chump defenses he was looking good against. They were nothing much, compared to SEC defenses. I'll be looking forward to your post-game explanations for how he looked vs UF's 2022 brand new untested defense....
🤓

I'll eat my crow, along with Nappy & team, if Utah pulls off the @ SWAMP win....

Miller and Kitna both out at this time but very much hoping Miller wont miss much. Really need him to get reps prior to Utah. Hearing a walk on getting #2 reps ahead of Max.

Florida quarterback Jack Miller III was not observed in attendance for Wednesday's practice session, which marked his 3rd consecutive absence. Prior to Monday, Miller had been observed at every practice participating in a non-contact jersey with his fellow quarterbacks.

Florida quarterback Jalen Kitna observed the practice session at midfield in a non-contact jersey, but Kitna was not seen participating in the routes-on-air segment. The absence of Miller combined with Kitna's status leaves the Gators with just two scholarship quarterbacks in Anthony Richardson and Max Brown. --- As a result, the unit worked with an additional signal-caller Wednesday: walk-on Jack Anders.

This was not because Anders will play, it was to smooth out the receivers on air practice work. Brown would be the #2 if Kitna/Miller couldn't play, not Anders....

Here's yet another iG 'out on a limb' prediction for ya on the UF vs UU game.

The Utes will throw for less than 200 receiving yards, and zero TD's....
AND
The Utes will rush for less than 150 yards, even though they will be forced into a very run heavy offense by the UF secondary and Edge.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Oh, well feel free to post his HS Sr stats for comparison to Brown's. Rising is a 3 star #26 QB-pp that ended up at Utah for a reason... Had he gone to a bigger/better school, he'd have hit the xfer portal after a season or 2...
He had a commit to OK (coaching change), then he danced around with TX for a time, before doing the smart thing for him and signing with UU.

Napier ran off 2 better and higher rated QB's in Jones and Del Rio-Wilson. Rising is about on a level with Miller imo.

Rising is a decent 'game manager' QB for a place like Utah....
P - 2,493 Yds, 63.3%, 20 TD's, 5 Ints, QBR 84.2 (146.7)
R - 79 for 499 Yds, 6.7 ypc, 6 TD's
Stats accumulated vs the 2021 #47 SoS
(11 SEC teams played Top 50 SoS's, with 9 higher than UU's)

UU Ranked Opponents for 2021
L - #19 BYU
L - #25 SDSt
L - NR OreSt
W - #22 Ore
L - #6 tOSU (schmuckeyes missing 24 players in bowl due to injury or ED's to NFL)
Utah's only weak claim to 2021 fame, was in beating a mediocre 9-4 Ore team for the LAC-12-C

And you must not have known or understood the chump defenses he was looking good against. They were nothing much, compared to SEC defenses. I'll be looking forward to your post-game explanations for how he looked vs UF's 2022 brand new untested defense....
🤓

I'll eat my crow, along with Nappy & team, if Utah pulls off the @ SWAMP win....

I like our chances to win and Richardson at QB but if you put any of our QBs except Richardson on Utah they wouldn't be as good as him (that goes even if our defense does tear this QB up in the Swamp). HS stats don't mean anything compared to QBs that have already showed it in multiple power 5 games on the field.

Here's yet another iG 'out on a limb' prediction for ya on the UF vs UU game.

The Utes will throw for less than 200 receiving yards, and zero TD's....
AND
The Utes will rush for less than 150 yards, even though they will be forced into a very run heavy offense by the UF secondary and Edge.

I hope you are right because if we hold them under 350 yards I don't see us losing this game unless we turn the ball over a couple of times.

Reactions: instaGATOR
HS stats don't mean anything compared to QBs that have already showed it in multiple power 5 games on the field.

Since HS stats is the only comparison possible between Rising and Brown, you'd have to use them to get any idea of comparable QB talent level. BTW, Brown has only played 2 seasons of football, (could have gone MLB draft otherwise) but he went 26-0 regular season as the QB-dt starter.

So, what has Rising showed as a P-5 starter vs the 2021 #47 SoS?

L - #19 BYU
L - #25 SDSt
L - NR OreSt
W - #22 Ore
ZERO wins vs any Top 20 Team....

In DV's deep voice -- Impressive, most impressive.... 🙄

Tebow Time,

damn,

Did not need that with my morning coffee !

Was not thrilled with Miller but we have invested a great deal of time & effort to get him up to speed.
Kitna just getting back from his knee prodedure.

I know Insta's pick for QB2 - Max Brown & all we have to do is think about Kerwin Bell & what he accomplished.

I hope I'm wrong; but right now, I don't think we have the OL & running game Kerwin had. Guess we will soon find out.

Kyle Engel and Jack Anders make up the walk-on talent in the position group.

If the walk-on route isn't the road Napier and Co. want to travel, talking wideout Trent Whittemore back to his high school roots to line up behind center. He threw for 1,026 yards and 12 touchdowns at Buchholz and has even tossed four passes at UF, completing three for 41 yards and two touchdowns.
Whittemore would surely be the worst-case scenario, but it's an intriguing possibility to ponder, given how things are going.

Florida hopes it doesn't get to the point where Richardson has to come off the field for an extended period this season.
Because if it does, the offensive unit will be forced to take it on the chin as it works through the growing pains of a young, inexperienced player operating under center.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...uarterback-depth-following-jack-miller-injury

Last edited:
Damn, no experience at the backup QB spot
Country,

Can't lose what you never had.

We never had any real, game experience at QB2.

Lucky us, we have a chump early season schedule.

Kitna back throwing the ball but obviously all of them - Richardson, Kitna, & Brown wearing double secret, no contact, jerseys.

Reports: Gators QB Jack Miller III Undergoes Thumb Surgery---The Florida Gators will need to identify a new primary backup to quarterback Anthony Richardson.

Brown, who was evaluated by Napier's UF coaching staff before signing with the program in February, is a former baseball player who only played football over his final two years of high school. Napier has expressed, however, that the team is high on his potential.

"I think Max when you turn the tape on (which is where the iG began), you can immediately see the baseball background," Napier said of Brown on Feb. 2. "The off-platform throws. Really a natural thrower (71.1%, 41 TD's, 4 Ints). A guy that is projected to be kind of a middle-round draft pick in baseball (shortstop & catcher).

"He was 6-foot-1 and a half, 200 pounds on his visit. Dad played receiver in the NFL (Falcons). Really a good-looking athlete. We think he has upside. He just started playing quarterback two years ago (26-0 Reg Season). And a good runner (1,343 Yds, 7.8 ypc). The guy can make some plays with his feet."

AR-15 >>> Brown >>> Engel
~~ Tough luck for Kitna and Miller, hope they both can return at some point during the coming season, but I'm good with getting Brown ready to go.
Should have been a priority before now imoho... 🤓

The iG called it, it seems to me. I was unhappy when Billy brought in QB-pp Miller, which ran off a better and higher ranked QB-dt in Del Rio-Wilson. Then Billy spends the start of Fall practice on Miller, after his less than impressive Spring, instead of focusing on bringing Brown up to speed. Pairing the documented lack of experience in the room with the unrivaled starter at signal caller Anthony Richardson's injury history, Florida is now left in a predicament behind QB1.

As a result, the door is open for true freshman Max Brown to take over backup duties. Despite being the newest face in the room, there's a reason that he was a late take in the class last cycle (he's now where the iG wanted him to be, but not how I wanted him to get there).

BTW, no college experience is not the same thing as having NO experience. Brown throwing for 2,750 yards, 41 TD's and just 4 Int's as a senior, he showcased his ability to make plays rolling out of the pocket and off-platform. He added elite accuracy by completing 71% of his passes. While there will be inevitable bumps in the road as someone transitioning to college from prep ball, and that shows at times with his early play in fall camp, Brown still possesses the intangibles needed to manage and control the game.

Even when Kitna does return, Brown could continue to find himself in the backup role due to the arm talent and athleticism he carries. That extra dimension of mobility gives the run-heavy Florida offense more flexibility.

Before all of the
'doom, despair, pain & agony' settles in, Florida has done well in the past with a Freshman QB, (most recent, see Chris Leak). And while AR-15 has had a couple of past little nagging injuries, at 6-4 238 it's not like he's made out of cheap porcelain...

Emory Jones wins Arizona State Starting QB Role​

He may be new to Arizona, but Jones’ experience in the SEC is proving invaluable. Despite being the only QB absent from spring practice in Tempe, Jones beat out Alabama transfer Paul Tyson and returning redshirt junior Trenton Bourguet for the starting QB role. Coaches have noted “Throughout fall camp, Jones has been noticeably head and shoulders better than the rest of ASU’s quarterbacks from an arm strength, accuracy and poise-under-pressure standpoint.”
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ults-of-qb-competition-involving-emory-jones/

Emory Jones wins Arizona State Starting QB Role​

He may be new to Arizona, but Jones’ experience in the SEC is proving invaluable. Despite being the only QB absent from spring practice in Tempe, Jones beat out Alabama transfer Paul Tyson and returning redshirt junior Trenton Bourguet for the starting QB role. Coaches have noted “Throughout fall camp, Jones has been noticeably head and shoulders better than the rest of ASU’s quarterbacks from an arm strength, accuracy and poise-under-pressure standpoint.”
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ults-of-qb-competition-involving-emory-jones/
Wait for an actual game there, coach.

Damn, no experience at the backup QB spot

We better hope Richardson doesn't get injured bad or this season could get ugly in a hurry. I think we would really struggle to beat teams like KY and Tenn with Kitna in there. The chances a true freshman would be much better are remote also.

Max Brown Now QB2 ?

More likely its Engel.

As of Tuesday, only three of Florida’s six rostered quarterbacks were participating in practice: Anthony Richardson, Max Brown and Kyle Engel. Kitna, a redshirt freshman, wore a non-contact jersey and did not participate due to a lower-leg injury.

Head coach Billy Napier is expected to provide an update on Miller after Florida’s scrimmage on Sunday.

• Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever
Max Brown Now QB2 ?

More likely its Engel.

As of Tuesday, only three of Florida’s six rostered quarterbacks were participating in practice: Anthony Richardson, Max Brown and Kyle Engel. Kitna, a redshirt freshman, wore a non-contact jersey and did not participate due to a lower-leg injury.

Head coach Billy Napier is expected to provide an update on Miller after Florida’s scrimmage on Sunday.

I guess we are having some physical practices with the QBs.

• Wow
Max Brown Now QB2 ?

More likely its Engel.

QB-pp Kyle Engel 6-1 190 rsSo is a nice WO when used for the practice squads, but he'll never beat out QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 200 for #2 behind AR.

Looking at their HS playing time, stats, and results, this is a new Corvette vs a used Camaro.... Nothing wrong with a Camaro, but it ain't never gonna be a Corvette, no matter how many times you wash, wax, and polish it...

Nothing personal at all against #3 Engel, but it is what it is imoho.

If Billy wastes any more time not getting Max ready to play, then he needs to be slapped imo.....

Gainesville Channel 20 Sports had a Napier interview where he said Kitna is #2 right now and looking good.
Now that does make me begin to worry for 2022...

Nappy the Top Notch QB Coach's 'New & Improved' 2022 QB depth chart:

1) AR-15 - if, and as long as he can stay healthy.
2) Miller - as soon and he can hold a football again.
3) Kitna - as soon as he regains mobility as his leg procedure recovers.
4) Engel - the best WO in the house.
5) Anders - the 2nd best WO in the house
6) Whittemore - HS QB that's played WR for the last 3 years.
7) Anyone else that might have played some QB in HS somewhere.
Doh, my mistake....
8) Brown redshirting - because no true Fr has ever been any good, or ever played as a Gator, so he's totally hopeless for 2022, and probably even beyond....
Max might better consider taking a xfer-out now, before wasting any more of his time here. 🙄
BTW, who's the dumbazz recruiter fool that shipped him in here to just take up money and space?

That's absolutely the best scenario, but if not, then they need Max to be ready to carry the torch in his place as best he can.
Max would not be the first Fr QB to do well as a Gator....

I think you are in dreamland with this. The odds of a true freshman QB doing well in the SEC are pretty low.

I think you are in dreamland with this. The odds of a true freshman QB doing well in the SEC are pretty low.
While you need to go do some real research on Fr QB's playing in the SEC...
Chris Leak beat 3 consecutive Top 11 ranked SEC teams 'on the road' with one being a night game in 'Death Valley' against the eventual 2003 13-1 NC LSU.

And that was with the Zookster as the HC.
W UF 19-7 @ #2 LSU 13-1 NC
W UF 33 - 28 @ #11 Ark 9-4
W UF 16 - 13 @ #7 WLOCP/UGly 11-3

While he lost to 5 teams that all had 10+ wins....
@ 11-2 #10 scUM
vs 10-3 #15 TN
vs 10-3 #13 Miss
vs 10-3 #11 FSUcks
@ 10-3 Iowa in Outback

Teams like Utah have never seen a schedule that was anything near the same universe as that. --- In fact, Utah's 2021 SoS was #47....

Chris Leak beat 3 consecutive Top 11 ranked SEC teams 'on the road' with one being a night game in 'Death Valley' against the eventual 2003 13-1 NC LSU.

@ 11-2 #10 scUM
vs 10-3 #15 TN
vs 10-3 #13 Miss
vs 10-3 #11 FSUcks
@ 10-3 Iowa in Outback

Teams like Utah have never seen a schedule that was anything near the same universe as that. --- In fact, Utah's 2021 SoS was #47....

Utah beat a team twice that was much better than anyone we beat last season and a team that beat OSU.

The chance that Brown plays like a past good true freshman QB is still remote. There is a reason you don't see too many true freshman QBs starting in the SEC and when they are its because they are usually further along than the ones who aren't. If Brown didn't pass Kitna right away I think we would be in trouble with him in there as a true freshman.

@ 11-2 #10 scUM
vs 10-3 #15 TN
vs 10-3 #13 Miss
vs 10-3 #11 FSUcks
@ 10-3 Iowa in Outback

All the rest is right but we've discussed this before. That LSU was the 3:30 CBS game. Not that it matters. Your point is valid. If the player is good, the player will win.

The whole things about Florida having much better recruiting classes than Utah tells me that Kyle Wittingham and his staff were much better at player development than Dan Mullen and his staff. It's one thing to get highly-touted players out of high school to come to your program. But it's just as important what you do with them once they get there. I would say that right now Utah is the better program, even after considering SOS differences, until Billy Napier & Company prove otherwise. Wittingham has been at Utah since 2005 and has an established way of doing things and with his "culture" already in place, while Napier is just getting started. While the Gators might beat Utah, and I would love for them to do so, there are reasons why they're ranked #7 & 8 as the season starts and Florida is in the middle of the also rans for getting votes outside of the Top 25. The Gators have to earn back respect and beating the Utes would a great start in doing that. Hope it happens.

The whole things about Florida having much better recruiting classes than Utah tells me that Kyle Wittingham and his staff were much better at player development than Dan Mullen and his staff. It's one thing to get highly-touted players out of high school to come to your program. But it's just as important what you do with them once they get there. I would say that right now Utah is the better program, even after considering SOS differences, until Billy Napier & Company prove otherwise. Wittingham has been at Utah since 2005 and has an established way of doing things and with his "culture" already in place, while Napier is just getting started. While the Gators might beat Utah, and I would love for them to do so, there are reasons why they're ranked #7 & 8 as the season starts and Florida is in the middle of the also rans for getting votes outside of the Top 25. The Gators have to earn back respect and beating the Utes would a great start in doing that. Hope it happens.
I think Dan did a decent job developing talent on offense. It was the buffoon running the other side of the ball that caused the problems.

I'm both proud and glad that I'm the only one that's driving /riding on the Gator bandwagon. 😎

If I end up eating crow, along with Nappy and the team, then so be it.
After the game, I'll see if I can make room for the rest of you on the wagon...
😁

I'm both proud and glad that I'm the only one that's driving /riding on the Gator bandwagon. 😎

😁

I am on the bandwagon but I at least look at things a little. It appears Utah's QB was the least sacked starting QB per game in all of Power 5 conference FBS last season even though he didn't run like Jones did which reduced Jones potential sack numbers quite a bit. He runs a few designed runs and is a dangerous runner but just gets rid of the ball before taking a sack usually since he can buy time if he has to.

The key to our defense is containing their run game at all costs. If they are able to get a decent run game going I have seen enough of that QB on his game tape to know he will tear us a new one in that scenario.

Fever, you're at best running behind the wagon, eating it's dust and coughing out crap at the same time.

Your level of research on 2021 Utah is very lacking, making you talk chit instead of facts.
Hint - How many games did Rising start for Utah in 2021? Their top ranked opponent was #19 BYU, and they lost to them.

And before any of you go comparing Utah's 10-4 to UF 6-7, you should take a close look at who they played vs who UF played.

😁
I already said, undefeated AFTER the WLOCP. 😉

Fever, you're at best running behind the wagon, eating it's dust and coughing out crap at the same time.

Your level of research on 2021 Utah is very lacking, making you talk chit instead of facts.
Hint - How many games did Rising start for Utah in 2021? Their top ranked opponent was #19 BYU, and they lost to them.

And before any of you go comparing Utah's 10-4 to UF 6-7, you should take a close look at who they played vs who UF played.

You are just talking craziness now. I think he started after the first couple of games and he is on tape beating most of the teams in front of him. He beat an Oregon squad twice who won in OSU's stadium I think. He won a conference championship game while we lost to UCF a group of 5 team at the end of the year with our highly recruited QB. Not to mention SC etc.

I hope the defense controls their running game as I said before or he will be set up for success most likely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT