ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Richardson in the Florida run game - Does Miller's Injury Change How AR Plays?

We should have played a Cupcake for Napier's 1st game !

The worm turns apparently...
After years of fans whining about the cupcakes and wanting UF to play better opponents, because the cupcake games weren't worth the price of a ticket or the time to spend watching the game in the SWAMP.

Now those same fans begin by whining that UF is playing too tough of an opponent and needs to play cupcakes instead.....

TYPICAL.... 🙄

Gators Anticipate Return of WR Ricky Pearsall, CB Jason Marshall This Week​

Billy Napier updates the injury status of wide receiver Ricky Pearsall and cornerback Jason Marshall Jr.
Although wide receiver Ricky Pearsall (foot) has been labeled "day-to-day" and cornerback Jason Marshall Jr.'s (hamstring) availability was expected to be "limited" due to injuries suffered in fall camp, the projected Florida Gators starters have yet to shed no-contact jerseys and fully participate in practice since the duo took the field on day six of camp.

Head coach Billy Napier expects that to change in the final week of camp, prior to Florida's season-opening bout at home against the No. 7 Utah Utes.

“No. We feel really good about their progress. We anticipate getting them back this week," Napier said on Sunday, asked if Pearsall and Marshall's recovery timeline could extend into Week 1. "I think both are very common injuries and things that just take a little time."

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...njury-update-ricky-pearsall-jason-marshall-jr

Any starters that are dinged up a little bit, will mostly coast until the last week, when the game plan begins it's install phase, which makes complete sense to me.

Concentrate on getting the 2-3 depth settled out in the mean time...

Florida’s depth chart at QB behind Anthony Richardson consists of redshirt freshman Jalen Kitna, true freshman Max Brown and walk-on Kyle Engel, a redshirt junior.

UF coach Billy Napier revealed Sunday that Engel is challenging Kitna for the No. 2 role.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...battling-for-backup-job-with-jack-miller-out/

“Jack Miller had a thumb avulsion fracture, which is really the same surgery that Drew Brees had a couple of years ago,” Napier said on Sunday following the team’s second fall scrimmage. “So, we anticipate him missing, I’m going to say the first two games. We’re hopeful that we’ll get him back Week 3. He’ll be in a cast for a couple of weeks as things start to grow back together and we’ll start the rehab process.”

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...te-jack-miller-billy-napier-press-conference/

Does Miller's Injury Change How Richardson Plays ?
Thoughts on QB2 Development

Napier called Florida’s summer program a “gauntlet” for the quarterbacks. Kitna and Engel emerged from that trying time as the Gators’ best options with true freshman Max Brown — a former three-star prospect ranked 1,558th in the 247Sports Composite — still behind mentally given he’s a rookie.

“Both those guys are really smart, have a good understanding of what we do and have moved the team,” said Napier of Kitna and Engel. “In particular in [Saturday’s] scrimmage, [they] showed an ability to move the team.”

As far as whether Miller’s injury will change how Florida plans on using Richardson, the coach remained coy. However, Napier did concede that forcing Richardson to stay in the pocket and not utilize his athletic gifts would not be the right decision for the Gators.

“For us to win, Anthony Richardson — we’re going to play to his strengths. The guy is a phenomenal athlete. He can make plays with his feet — some of those being designed, some of those being a threat and some of those are unannounced,” he explained. “The key here is that he makes the right decision, and a lot of that is going to be determined depending on our situation at that position. But there’s no question we’re going to use Anthony’s legs. It’s got to be a part of who we are and what we do.”

https://onlygators.com/08/21/2022/f...-jack-miller-iii-out-at-least-two-game-weeks/

Last edited:
2nd Scrimmage Updates

Napier first discussed the play of his defense, which had starting linebacker Ventrell Miller back in the lineup. Safety Donovan McMillon ended the scrimmage with an interception, but Napier wasn’t pleased with the missed tackles.

Napier expressed confidence Sunday in his four running backs and top eight offensive linemen but acknowledged that Florida’s receivers and tight ends must get better.

“I think the perimeter play needs to improve. The tight ends on the edges, the receivers not only in the run game but all the perimeter concepts,” Napier said. “And then situationally, missed some opportunities in the red area. I thought we had some chances to really break it open and we didn’t do that. That’s an area two weeks in a row where we can be better.”

Napier added that the Gators’ kicker position will be evaluated more ahead of the opener and the starter is still to be determined. Walk-on Adam Mihalek and true freshman Trey Smack are competing for the job.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...esses-gators-performance-in-second-scrimmage/

With all of the coach-speak and sand-bagging BS put aside....

If QB-dt AR went down, who would you want to play in his place, in a run heavy offense?

R - 179 for 1,343 yds, 20 TD's, 1 LPF, & a 71.1% completion %..

With all of the coach-speak and sand-bagging BS put aside....

If QB-dt AR went down, who would you want to play in his place, in a run heavy offense?

R - 179 for 1,343 yds, 20 TD's, 1 LPF, & a 71.1% completion %..

If it happened the Utah game it would end up being Kitna probably listening to the coach. I hope Brown shoots right past him though once he gets the mental part down. I think Kitna may be about the level of that guy we had playing QB when we couldn't stop that FCS team under Muschamp.

If it happened the Utah game it would end up being Kitna probably listening to the coach. I hope Brown shoots right past him though once he gets the mental part down. I think Kitna may be about the level of that guy we had playing QB when we couldn't stop that FCS team under Muschamp.
FTR, Georgia Southern wasn't an FCS team that year. They were in the middle of the two-year process of converting to FBS and had 10 more scholarships than are allowed to FCS teams. What they were was a transition FBS team.

FTR, Georgia Southern wasn't an FCS team that year. They were in the middle of the two-year process of converting to FBS and had 10 more scholarships than are allowed to FCS teams. What they were was a transition FBS team.

Whatever they were it was a disgrace we lost that game.

Fever & Insta,

You have a good point in Max brown's running ability - but he can't run every play.

How well can he run the total offense; is the speed of the college game still too much for him, does he focus in on 1 receiver & throw picks; can he check off & pick up secondary receivers quick enough ?

Neither the posters in this forum nor the media with their 14 minutes of observation time per practice, have any idea.

Napier & his staff know & they have Kitna ahead of Brown hopefully for good reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah, and he had Miller III at #2, because of his vast 7 of 14 experience as the tOSU #3 QB before his xfer to uncle Nappy's house....
What I know is that Brown only played football for 2 seasons.
He was such a good shortstop/catcher that he could have gone MLB.
In his 2 seasons as a QBdt, he went 26-0 in the regular season, threw for 71%, ran for 7.9 ypc.

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have to run on every play
(straw man BS) but he would be a misdirection threat on every play where he handed off.
With 71% and 41 TD's to 4 Ints, he doesn't seem to not know where to throw the ball.
With 20 TD's to just 1 LPF on 179 carries, he's pretty solid with the ball.
And I've yet to read anything form Jeff or anyone else doing a critique on his HS Highlights, so take a look and then get-er-done....

The iG's general critique is that Billy is wasting time on anyone else but Max. He looks like a slightly smaller version of AR. He's got a freakin' cannon arm, incredibly accurate thrower, very fast and slippery runner, and a guy with his head up all the time, looking for the big play. And so far, he's not injury prone in the least. And he's got the mental toughness of a baseball catcher.

Last edited:
I believe I mention months ago that apklahoma competition is the best and that when he got into the playoffs it became pretty pedestrian.

again, not just a lot you can really take away from that. I think, right now, if available, I would take Kitna first.

JMOHO, but a poor and very vague critique with zero insights on his actual film.
You are your film, not what some twit thinks your competition level was.
70+% completions is amazing if on air, much less when you're running for your life....

TT's HS competition wasn't any better, but I watched his film.
Trask was just a backup QB, not even a HS starter, but I watched his film too.

QBpp Kitna and Miller can both play, but not in the QBdt offense that Billy has been running, and not at the SEC level unless you're at VU....

Max has the physical and mental abilities to be a freakin' star, not just a starter. He looks like AR's younger brother to me, with maybe a better arm for accuracy and almost as big of a cannon. Much the same toughness and difficulty to tackle either of them.

JMOHO, but a poor and very vague critique with zero insights on his actual film.
You are your film, not what some twit thinks your competition level was.
70+% completions is amazing if on air, much less when you're running for your life....

TT's HS competition wasn't any better, but I watched his film.
Trask was just a backup QB, not even a HS starter, but I watched his film too.

QBpp Kitna and Miller can both play, but not in the QBdt offense that Billy has been running, and not at the SEC level unless you're at VU....

Max has the physical and mental abilities to be a freakin' star, not just a starter. He looks like AR's younger brother to me, with maybe a better arm for accuracy and almost as big of a cannon. Much the same toughness and difficulty to tackle either of them.

We will find out about Brown eventually when Napier thinks he is ready. As far as film you are what your college game film says you are not your high school film. Look at all the 5 star QB busts there has been.

Injuries continue to mount

Gators OT David Conner To Undergo Thumb Surgery​

Florida Gators reserve offensive tackle David Conner suffered a right thumb injury in practice. He will have surgery on Tuesday.

"David Conner’s [injury] is a little bit more extensive. I think a lot of that is to be determined in the future," Napier said. "Nothing major there with [guard] Ethan [White], but I think with David it’s to be determined.”

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ball-david-conner-thumb-injury-fall-camp-2022

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
We will find out about Brown eventually when Napier thinks he is ready. As far as film you are what your college game film says you are not your high school film. Look at all the 5 star QB busts there has been.
Quite true. Now, could you give me your critique on the college film, or even the college game stats of:
Miller
Kitna
Engle
Anders
Brown
I'll wait,
but not while holding my breath.... 🙄

IMO, discounting a kids HS film is just straw-man BS by someone with a bias. (Know anyone like that around here?)
Every college talent evaluator, including UF's, used HS film in their evaluations. 🤓

Injuries continue to mount

Gators OT David Conner To Undergo Thumb Surgery​

Florida Gators reserve offensive tackle David Conner suffered a right thumb injury in practice. He will have surgery on Tuesday.

"David Conner’s [injury] is a little bit more extensive. I think a lot of that is to be determined in the future," Napier said. "Nothing major there with [guard] Ethan [White], but I think with David it’s to be determined.”

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ball-david-conner-thumb-injury-fall-camp-2022
Miller an Connor with about the same R-thumb surgery, so a few games missed. However, OL Connor's thumb can be in a solid case while he still plays, but no so for R-handed Miller at QB.

With the OL depth being what it is already, (8-10), there's no real rush to get Connor back in the games for now.

Notes about football team posted today on floridagators.com. Notice that Kitna & Engle are splittikng reps for the backup QB job, Brown running with the 4th string.
With Miller out, Jalen Kitna and Kyle Engel are splitting reps for the backup job. Meanwhile, true freshman Max Brown is also getting work with the fourth team. "I think we're very much a competition there for the backup spot,'' Napier said. "We obviously have some time."

Brown's early 4th string is due to his late summer arrival, not due to any lack of QB talent. The more Max get's reps, the more his dual threat abilities will show forth. No worries, as Billy says, "We obviously have some time." 😉

PS - Kitna's dad being an NFL QB gets him props.
So why doesn't Brown's dad being an NFL WR get him props?

Last edited:

Gators OL Ethan White 'Out For a Little Bit' Following Procedure​

Florida Gators offensive lineman missed two of the last three fall practices open to media.

“Ethan had a minor setback and had a small procedure," Napier said. "He’s out for a little bit. He’ll be back."

In the meantime, sophomore Josh Braun is expected to fill in for White at left guard, opposite of AP Preseason Second-Team All-American O'Cyrus Torrence who mans the right guard spot.

Utah game tough enough if everyone healthy. All these injuries make it even worse. BUT

As Vince Lombardi said - Basketball is a contact sport; Football is a collision sport; only way to select your starters & finish your installs is to scrimmage.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...hite-injury-update-out-procedure-billy-napier

Hayes: Gators' plan is simple -- and scary: In Anthony Richardson they trust​

With the schedule they face; Napier doesn't have a lot of choices if he wants to win games - so get ready for Anthony Richardson in the Florida run game.

The Gators aren’t beating Utah in the opener without Richardson’s ability to stress the defense with his legs. They’re not beating Kentucky in the SEC opener in Week 2 without Richardson’s dual-threat ability — or for that matter, most every other SEC game.

So the idea of exposing Richardson to potentially more hits in the run game comes down to a simple win-loss decision. You’re not winning games without Richardson running the ball, and if he gets hurt running the ball, you’re not winning games, anyway.

“The guy is a phenomenal athlete,” Florida coach Bill Napier says of Richardson, his sophomore dual-threat quarterback. “We’re going to play to his strengths.”

This, of course, could lead to one big weakness: There’s no one behind Richardson in the Gators’ quarterback room.

It’s simple math: The more Richardson runs, the more punishment his body absorbs from multiple angles and from all three levels of the defense — and often, at the same time.

The more punishment he takes, the closer Florida is to playing important games — the month of September is loaded — with quarterbacks who have never taken a college snap and were 3-star projects in high school or lower. Jack Miller is a 4-star, but he’s also injured and isn’t expected to be ready until late September.

Now, some good news: After getting a high school knee injury cleaned out this offseason, and a full offseason of rest on a nagging hamstring injury, Richardson says he’s in the best shape of his career. “Never felt healthier,” Richardson told me in July.

He has also never been more prepared. Napier is Florida’s quarterbacks coach and play-caller, and offensive analyst Ryan O’Hara works exclusively with the quarterbacks. Richardson also spent any time away from Gainesville with his personal quarterbacks coach Denny Thompson of 6 Points QB Training.

“I’ve been with Anthony since high school,” Thompson said, “and I feel like he’s never been in a better position to succeed.”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...e-and-scary-in-anthony-richardson-they-trust/

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
Quite true. Now, could you give me your critique on the college film, or even the college game stats of:
Miller
Kitna
Engle
Anders
Brown
I'll wait,
but not while holding my breath.... 🙄

IMO, discounting a kids HS film is just straw-man BS by someone with a bias. (Know anyone like that around here?)
Every college talent evaluator, including UF's, used HS film in their evaluations. 🤓
Tell me why he is behind the walk on QB right now? It's probably due to not learning the entire playbook yet but you actually think he is going to be inserted in the Utah game if Richardson got injured.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Tell me why he is behind the walk on QB right now? It's probably due to not learning the entire playbook yet but you actually think he is going to be inserted in the Utah game if Richardson got injured.
Fever,

Who knows ! Still 2 weeks till Utah.
Do we have a 3rd scrimmage ? More QB injuries could change everything.

If Kitna & Engle have their chances against Utah & don't get anything done on offense; Napier likely to give Brown a chance - why not ?

Insta,

FWIW, if Brown had been an Early Entry; participated in Spring Practice & gone through Napier's Summer gauntlet for QBs - it might be a different competition for QB2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

Who knows ! Still 2 weeks till Utah.
Do we have a 3rd scrimmage ? More QB injuries could change everything.

If Kitna & Engle have their chances against Utah & don't get anything done on offense; Napier likely to give Brown a chance - why not ?

Insta,

FWIW, if Brown had been an Early Entry; participated in Spring Practice & gone through Napier's Summer's gauntlet for QBs - it might be a different competition for QB2.

I am not big on Miller but if we have to use Kitna or Engel against one of these good teams it probably won't be pretty.

And yet again you utterly FAIL to give your phootball genius criique of Brown's film, instead choosing more distraction and thrown confetti... Typical of the feveredbrains, and any others here so far....

But since you are unable/incompetent of an actual player critique, just answer me this; which QB on the roster has any chance to run the offense the same way that AR does?

Rushing 1,343 yds, 7.9 ypc, 1 LPF on 179 runs, while throwing for 71.1%, 41 TD's, to 4 Ints.....
Going 26-0 in 2 regular seasons with no missed time due to injuries....
🤓

I'm obviously not,,,, but If I was the HC, I'd be working Max 24/7 with tutors and film study to get him as ready as possible to go in if AR goes down,,, or worse, is ineffective (please no).... And Max would be getting the #2 QB prep time in practice right now with as many reps as I could get in for him.

I continue to hope and pray that AR gets it done and stays healthy, but not getting Brown ready to go if needed would be close to criminal imoho....

Last edited:
If Max Brown plays this year that means we are in big trouble. The plan is to “redshirt” him.

Reactions: sadgator
If AR goes down early and they redshirt Brown, then you can write off the season at that point. (6-6 with maybe a chump bowl)

And I've still yet to see a player talent eval on Brown's film, from anyone that claims that he couldn't get the job done, just because he's a freshman....

What throws can he make, or not make?
How strong is his arm on deep throws?
How strong is he as a runner, on either planned runs or scrambles?
Does he keep his head up and looking down field for secondary receivers when he moves out of the pocket?
How fast and slippery is he when he needs to run?
Come on, somebody step up to the plate and give a real eval..
🤓

Last edited:
  • Wow
If AR goes down early and they redshirt Brown, then you can write off the season at that point. (6-6 with maybe a chump bowl)

And I've still yet to see a player talent eval on Brown's film, from anyone that claims that he couldn't get the job done, just because he's a freshman....

What throws can he make, or not make?
How strong is his arm on deep throws?
How strong is he as a runner, on either planned runs or scrambles?
Does he keep his head up and looking down field for secondary receivers when he moves out of the pocket?
How fast and slippery is he when he needs to run?
Come on, somebody step up to the plate and give a real eval..
🤓

Napier has told the media a few times Brown is not there with the mental part and it's why he is buried on the depth chart. Don't expect anything from Brown until the spring.

More confetti from one of the many with no ability to make his own player eval...

Brown did what he did while only playing 2 seasons of football.
He grew up with a father that played WR for the NFL Falcons.
So he's obviously to stupid to play for several years yet....
🙄
ZZZzzzzzz 😴

More confetti from one of the many with no ability to make his own player eval...

Brown did what he did while only playing 2 seasons of football.
He grew up with a father that played WR for the NFL Falcons.
So he's obviously to stupid to play for several years yet....
🙄
ZZZzzzzzz 😴

I watched Browns tape above and it's hard to say a lot except he can run good for a QB since he runs to buy time and gets good situations to pass because of it. As far as passing I like to see tape where there is pressure on them as they are passing like they will get in college. I would call him a big unknown at this point until I see him in a spring game etc.

Now that's the top rated in-depth eval that I expected from you.... 🙄

Anyone else wanna step out there and give it a shot?
😎

• Haha
Well I'll get lambasted for this but, it's a HUDL highlight real...so you have to take that into account.

take that away? It's like I said before. The competition is poor. Is what it is. That doesn't have to mean anything though, Will Grier played at A Day school where the competition looked awful as well.

Lots of first reads off a roll out. Not uncommon but when nobody can get to you then yeah, you're going to have time.

He did have one nice throw where they got to him immediately and he got it out while falling down but in the SEC I doubt that's a completion there.

Really good field vision when it comes to taking off and running, but again, that poor talent he's going against isn't going to be the SEC when he tries to bust one up the middle.

The stare downs though worry me. Is that him not making those second reads or the coach designing it that way because he's bad at the second reads?

Funky throwing motion too. Kind of that sidearm toss on a lot of passes. More Phillip Rivers than Mahomes, maybe somewhere in between. Makes it hard to tell how his foot work actually is because of the constant rollouts and maneuvering.

Also, it should be noted that they became very pedestrian in the post season. No more 40, 50, 60 point games and blowouts. Low scoring losses.

So my point stands. Too hard to judge a kid based off a HUDL highlight reel in a poor group of competition. The level of competition and coaching (for both the Brown's team and the opponents) is just a crap shoot.

Well I'll get lambasted for this but, it's a HUDL highlight real...so you have to take that into account.

take that away? It's like I said before. The competition is poor. Is what it is. That doesn't have to mean anything though, Will Grier played at A Day school where the competition looked awful as well.

Lots of first reads off a roll out. Not uncommon but when nobody can get to you then yeah, you're going to have time.

He did have one nice throw where they got to him immediately and he got it out while falling down but in the SEC I doubt that's a completion there.

Really good field vision when it comes to taking off and running, but again, that poor talent he's going against isn't going to be the SEC when he tries to bust one up the middle.

The stare downs though worry me. Is that him not making those second reads or the coach designing it that way because he's bad at the second reads?

Funky throwing motion too. Kind of that sidearm toss on a lot of passes. More Phillip Rivers than Mahomes, maybe somewhere in between. Makes it hard to tell how his foot work actually is because of the constant rollouts and maneuvering.

Also, it should be noted that they became very pedestrian in the post season. No more 40, 50, 60 point games and blowouts. Low scoring losses.

So my point stands. Too hard to judge a kid based off a HUDL highlight reel in a poor group of competition. The level of competition and coaching (for both the Brown's team and the opponents) is just a crap shoot.
A very measured, reasoned, and well stated point of view. Insta will hate this post.

WR Route Tree

Flat -- The flat route is a basic, quick out-breaking route. It is typically a route run by a slot receiver, running back, or tight end, simply because it breaks out and a wide-out does not have the space on his outside for the break.

Slant -- The slant can be run from anywhere, and it can be run with either the initial vertical stem, or it can be run directly off the snap. The idea is to use quickness to get a step on the coverage, and use the inside break to put the receiver’s body between the quarterback and the defender. Slants are obviously quick routes, so look for the quarterback to get the ball out of his hand as fas as he can.

Comeback -- Another out-breaking route, though this one can be used by outside receivers assuming they know how to use the sideline. This is the "back-shoulder throw" route popular in today’s passing game, with a quarterback having to show off his arm strength on the route.

Curl -- The route tree is built with opposite breaks throughout most of the diagram. In this case, the curl route is the opposite of the comeback, with the receiver breaking back toward the inside of the field. You can often see the curl and the comeback be option routes from each other, depending on how the defender plays the receiver, meaning the quarterback and receiver have to be on the same page.

Out -- You again will see a quarterback showing off his arm strength on this out-breaking route, and this is one of the routes most college scouts want to see fro prospective quarterbacks. This route is run at about 10-15 yards down the field most of the time, and again requires space on the outside for the break. This is typically the route you will see where the receiver is catching the pass on the sideline as he falls straight forward with this toes staying in bounds.

In / Dig -- Whichever name you give to this route, it is the opposite of the out route, with the receiver breaking in toward the middle of the field. This is a route-runners route (whatever that means) - where precision is important, and being able to make a crisp cut is important, providing the separation a receiver needs to get open.

Corner -- Starting to reach the deeper routes now, the corner route is a out-breaking route that is run toward - get this - the corner. The route is often used to create space underneath by pulling the safety out of the middle of the field.

Post -- The opposite of the corner route, the post breaks toward the middle of the field on an angle. Again, this is attacking the safeties on the field, often looking to split multiple defensive backs. This can be the type of route where the receiver adjusts to a ball the quarterback has laid out deep down the middle of the field.

Fly -- Go deep. This is where a speed receiver makes his money. Also a "go" route, that is exactly what this route is, run as fast as you can deep and try to get some separation from the defender. Quarterbacks can also use the back-shoulder throw here, allowing for a receiver to turn back to the ball as the defender runs past him.

I'll leave the other routes and combo routes out, to make things easier on those that want to actually attempt to evaluate Brown's passing ability. (Slugo/Drag/Bubble/etc)

Now, which of those 9 basic routes does Brown throw in that highlight film?
Any that he does not throw, or does a poor job on?
Is there anyone with even the minor/slight ability to watch, take a couple of notes, and then answer the questions and give your own QB evaluation on Brown???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT