ADVERTISEMENT

KY game thread...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
I know a lot of people haven't watched much of their games this season but I have watched quite a bit of their plays after recording the games and this team looks about as good as last season to me even with all those players they had to replace. As a group that defense can still get after the QB on passing downs and their D line and LBs look pretty good against the run. They did have to replace their entire secondary however and have had a few breakdowns there in the first 2 games.

Even with them losing that QB I think this will be another close game unless we kill them with turnovers. The backup QB has actually played some in the sunbelt conference and didn't look too bad when he played. It will be nice not having the QB constantly scrambling for 10+ yards after getting pressure on him however.

Last edited:
Really hurts to lose Terry the difference maker Wilson at QB. I think the back up throws a better long ball, but doesn't scramble like TW. Our front 7 look as strong as last year, but our back 4 are green. We are getting Phil Hoskins back after a 2 game suspension. He's a big DT with some quicks.

Our Oline has been holding up well against MAC teams, so the big test will be the gators. I feel like we have the next great UK back in Kavosiey Smoke. Reminds me of Frank Gore. He is currently second String, but I see him jumping Rose soon to be the starter.

Our 6'6 240 lb wideout, and transfer from the IOWA basketball team, is really coming on. Ahmad Wagner was a 4 star Wide out in HS, with offers to go anywhere, but he chose the IOWA basketball team instead. Most DBs just ride him like a plow and take the 15 yards penalty. His size/speed combo is rare and I hope we target him 10 plus/game. I like our WRs a lot more this year, than last. We have a legit 5 man rotation this year, where last year it was just one guy and a TE.

Our punter is the man. Can kick it 60 yards or place it like Seve from short range.

If Franks is playing Decent, yall will be tough to beat. We are relying on a new QB, so we will need to some help from the HTM.

If the HTM shows up, CATS by 7.

Last edited:
Really hurts to lose Terry the difference maker Wilson at QB. I think the back up throws a better long ball, but doesn't scramble like TW. Our front 7 look as strong as last year, but our back 4 are green. We are getting Phil Hoskins back after a 2 game suspension. He's a big DT with some quicks.

Our Oline has been holding up well against MAC teams, so the big test will be the gators. I feel like we have the next great UK back in Kavosiey Smoke. Reminds me of Frank Gore. He is currently second String, but I see him jumping Rose soon to be the starter.

Our 6'6 240 lb wideout, and transfer from the IOWA basketball team, is really coming on. Ahmad Wagner was a 4 star Wide out in HS, with offers to go anywhere, but he chose the IOWA basketball team instead. Most DBs just ride him like a plow and take the 15 yards penalty. His size/speed combo is rare and I hope we target him 10 plus/game. I like our WRs a lot more this year, than last. We have a legit 5 man rotation this year, where last year it was just one guy and a TE.

Our punter is the man. Can kick it 60 yards or place it like Seve from short range.

If Franks is playing Decent, yall will be tough to beat. We are relying on a new QB, so we will need to some help from the HTM.

If the HTM shows up, CATS by 7.

That WR does appear to be a matchup problem with all the pass interference calls DBs get trying to cover him.

Their defense is good but I think we win by 2 scores, hard to replace a QB... maybe the back up finds his legs. Turnovers are always a factor.

Henderson is a big loss for UF as he is our best DB. Not as concerned about the loss of Toney
Agree - But Elam looked good during his time in the game. That was UT-Martin, I know, but the kid seems to have all the skills.

Florida will have to play better than they did against Miami.

The QB situation was and still is unpredictable .. if UK can come out and answer early or not give up the defensive TD to UF I think we see the game coming down to one score. Toney was a concern going into this game with the young secondary.

The replacement QB is slow and will get sacked by the FL D. Kentucky’s run game is much worse and they were very dependent on Wilson’s progress. Kentucky’s D is much much worse and FL will run the ball at will. Look for a blowout in traditional fashion. 31-10 gators.

The replacement QB is slow and will get sacked by the FL D. Kentucky’s run game is much worse and they were very dependent on Wilson’s progress. Kentucky’s D is much much worse and FL will run the ball at will. Look for a blowout in traditional fashion. 31-10 gators.

He definitely isn't slow and had some big runs last season on option plays. He may look slow compared to Wilson but can move pretty good actually.

Should beat UK every year, but should is not necessarily will... :cool:

Sorry to see both Henderson and Toney go out injured. That said....

Ath Copeland **** for Ath Toney ***. (WR/RB)
Rush 1 for 15 yds.
Rec - 3 for 23 yds, with a 9 yd TD.

For Henderson ****:
Elam **** - 1 Tkl, 1 Solo, 1 Int in the endzone.
Hill **** - 4 Tkls, 1 Solo, 3 Ast
Kimbrough *** - 4 Tkls, 3 Solo, 1 Ast

Losing both hurts undoubtedly, but at least there is some quality depth to step up.

Reactions: seffnergator
We've had a lot better teams and Kentucky a lot worst teams that kept the games close. 1996 comes to mind. I suspect this will be a close game too. Florida has better players, but not significantly better. I do like that we got the 31 year streak over with. Although each game is unique, it seemed like the pressure was on Florida to keep it going.

Haven't watched Kentucky thus far. I don't know much about your QB, RB, or defense. After two weeks I don't know what to think of our team either. We played sloppy and deserved to lose to what looks like a middling Miami squad.. Looked somewhat better against an overmatched opponent last Saturday.

To me this week is going to be the first real glimpse of what we should expect. I really don't have any idea or hope of predicting the outcome. You guys broke the streak last year, you were the better team on the lines. This year I think we will know if we are truly a contender after this weekend.

Hope for the win, and both teams leave with no significant injuries.

Haven't watched Kentucky thus far. I don't know much about your QB, RB, or defense. After two weeks I don't know what to think of our team either. We played sloppy and deserved to lose to what looks like a middling Miami squad.. Looked somewhat better against an overmatched opponent last Saturday.

To me this week is going to be the first real glimpse of what we should expect. I really don't have any idea or hope of predicting the outcome. You guys broke the streak last year, you were the better team on the lines. This year I think we will know if we are truly a contender after this weekend.

Hope for the win, and both teams leave with no significant injuries.

Dilly, Dilly! on the no injuries.... Cats already down 2 QBs on the year

Reactions: nail1988
Agree - But Elam looked good during his time in the game. That was UT-Martin, I know, but the kid seems to have all the skills.
Not quite ready for the big time, but he could certainly be the next really good one...

For some reason, it is always super exciting to sadgator when you see a young DB who you know is going to develop into a solid contributor, it is most fun position to watch develop...

He definitely isn't slow and had some big runs last season on option plays. He may look slow compared to Wilson but can move pretty good actually.
Yeah, he had a 50 yard run against Nebraska and was outrunning their DB’s last year. SacramentoKat is dumb ass of the highest order! Florida could very well win, but I think it will be single digits either way.

Florida will have to play better than they did against Miami.

The QB situation was and still is unpredictable .. if UK can come out and answer early or not give up the defensive TD to UF I think we see the game coming down to one score. Toney was a concern going into this game with the young secondary.
Copeland should be a concern also.

I believe I heard Nick Saban complaining about the 3:30 slot he was given against South Carolina because of the heat. It's too bad Florida and Kentucky weren't given that 3:30 time slot on CBS(oops! Correction. Bama plays S Miss the following week at 12:30 is what Saban complained about).
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/09/alabama-southern-miss-kickoff-time
UF always seems to play better against Kentucky during a day game compared to the last several night games UF barely squeaks a win. This Saturday night won't be any different. Exactly why I hate Florida Kentucky games at night. I knew sooner or later UK would would not only outplay Florida but actually get a win as last season was confirmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: nail1988
I would like to see UK UF moved to November. It's too good a game to be played at 110 degrees in the swamp

I would like to see UK UF moved to November. It's too good a game to be played at 110 degrees in the swamp

Kingseve1,

Not just no, but HELL no.

Gators can't play in the cold; they are too sluggish, they can't run.

When Fran Curci was UK coach, we played them in Nov. We always struggled in Lexington, in the cold, usually at night.

September is good for both teams; if game at Swamp played late in day or at night & game at Lexington played in afternoon, no extremes of weather.

Not quite ready for the big time, but he could certainly be the next really good one...

For some reason, it is always super exciting to sadgator when you see a young DB who you know is going to develop into a solid contributor, it is most fun position to watch develop...

Marco Wilson - Freshman All SEC
C.J. Henderson - Freshman All SEC
Trey Dean - Freshman All SEC
=====
In place of the injured Henderson in Gm-2:
Elam 1 solo Tkl, 1 Int in endzone
Kimbrough - 4 Tkls, 3 solo
Hill - 4 Tkls, 1 solo

If those 3 get enough playing time, more Fr All SEC on the way....

Early season in review, after 2 games:

Playmakers so far:

Franks - 42 of 54, 524 yds, 77.8%, 12.5 yds/comp, L-69, 4 TD, 2 Int - QBR 176.33
Rush - 13 for 58 yds, 3.5 ypc, L-22, 1 TD

Trask - 4 of 5, 40 yds, 80%, 10 yds/comp, L-24, 1 TD, 0 Int - QBR 213.20
No Runs, Yet.

Jones - 1 of 4, 2 yds, 25% - QBR 29.2
Rush - 4 for 31 yds, 7.8 ypc, L-16, 1 TD
=====

Perine -20 for 94 yds, l4.7 ypc, L-15, 1 TD
Rec - 9 for 40 yds, 4.4 yds/rec, L-8, 1 TD

Davis - 6 for 21 yds, 3.5 ypc, L-12, 1 TD

Pierce - 8 for 30 yds, 3.4 ypc, L-11

Clement - 1 for 41 yds

Wright - 7 for 13 yds, 1.9 ypc, L-4
Rec - 1 for 4 yds
=====

Jefferson - 5 for 108 yds, 21.6 yds/rec, L-69, 1 TD

Cleveland - 4 for 65 yds, 16.2 yds/rec, L-35, 1 TD

Hammond - 8 for 115 yds, 14.4 yds/rec, L-65 yds

Swain - 1 for 10 yds

Grimes - 6 for 66 yds, 11 yds/rec, L-23,

Toney - 3 for 72 yds, 24 yds/rec, L-66, 1 TD
Rush - 4 for 9 yds, 2.2 ypc, L-6 -- Injured out for weeks...

Wells - 2 for 27 yds, 13.5 yds/rec, L-24

Copeland - 3 for 23 yds, 7.7 yds/rec, L-9, 1 TD
Rush - 1 for 15 yds -- Toney's replacement.,,
=====

Pitts - 5 for 35 yds, 7.2 yds/rec, L-18
==========

Grantham's defense currently leads all of FBS in sacks after 2 games with 15.
CB Henderson -- Injured, unlikely for Gm-3 ??

Elam is going to be good but right now he’s not even the best true freshmen DB on the team.

Reactions: gatordad3
All the skills and basically 1 game of experience in him. That's where the problem lies. Without Henderson we are going to be relying on 3 true freshman DBs.

I think Copeland can add some skill where KT will be missed. He played well against UTM and should only get better. What we have in abundance is skill players. Some of the best and most talented WR I have seen here since the Steve Spurrier years. For nearly a decade we have been awash in a wasteland where WRs consistently drop balls that hit them in the hands. Now that we have Van Jefferson, Cleveland, and Grimes we are golden. These guys are tall fast and have NFL hands as far as I'm concerned. Throw in Hammond too if you need to but finally I feel confident for the first time in years that our passes will be completions.

The RB game is what it is. If the Tight end blocking doesn't get fixed for the run game here, then it isn't going to make any difference whether we have KT in the game or not. We could have Emmitt Smith out there in his prime but if they don't fix the TE blocks and the fact that only 1 of the OL is getting any significant push according to Dan Mullen, the running game isn't going anywhere. Against UK I'm not so worried about that, but there are other teams where we will have no chance of winning if we are held 1 dimensional that easily.

This game should be close. Either team could win and I wouldn't be surprised either way. I also wouldn't be surprised if our team is pissed off at last year's result and wins by 30 either. So take that for what it is. I'm pretty sure we have the offense to win this game. Miami couldn't get much pass rush against our QB and we will only face 1 or 2 more defenses with that kind of line and LBs this year, so I actually feel good about the pass protection. Our own pass rush is just a beast right now, but of course measure the competition it's been up against. For OUR part, this game will be won or lost based on our running game or lack there of, and our linebackers stopping the run and DBs containing the pass threat.

Early season in review, after 2 games:

Playmakers so far:

Franks - 42 of 54, 524 yds, 77.8%, 12.5 yds/comp, L-69, 4 TD, 2 Int - QBR 176.33
Rush - 13 for 58 yds, 3.5 ypc, L-22, 1 TD

Trask - 4 of 5, 40 yds, 80%, 10 yds/comp, L-24, 1 TD, 0 Int - QBR 213.20
No Runs, Yet.

Jones - 1 of 4, 2 yds, 25% - QBR 29.2
Rush - 4 for 31 yds, 7.8 ypc, L-16, 1 TD
=====

Perine -20 for 94 yds, l4.7 ypc, L-15, 1 TD
Rec - 9 for 40 yds, 4.4 yds/rec, L-8, 1 TD

Davis - 6 for 21 yds, 3.5 ypc, L-12, 1 TD

Pierce - 8 for 30 yds, 3.4 ypc, L-11

Clement - 1 for 41 yds

Wright - 7 for 13 yds, 1.9 ypc, L-4
Rec - 1 for 4 yds
=====

Jefferson - 5 for 108 yds, 21.6 yds/rec, L-69, 1 TD

Cleveland - 4 for 65 yds, 16.2 yds/rec, L-35, 1 TD

Hammond - 8 for 115 yds, 14.4 yds/rec, L-65 yds

Swain - 1 for 10 yds

Grimes - 6 for 66 yds, 11 yds/rec, L-23,

Toney - 3 for 72 yds, 24 yds/rec, L-66, 1 TD
Rush - 4 for 9 yds, 2.2 ypc, L-6 -- Injured out for weeks...

Wells - 2 for 27 yds, 13.5 yds/rec, L-24

Copeland - 3 for 23 yds, 7.7 yds/rec, L-9, 1 TD
Rush - 1 for 15 yds -- Toney's replacement.,,
=====

Pitts - 5 for 35 yds, 7.2 yds/rec, L-18
==========

Grantham's defense currently leads all of FBS in sacks after 2 games with 15.
CB Henderson -- Injured, unlikely for Gm-3 ??
We can't really boast too much about our sack record here. 10 sacks against a UM offensive line that was starting 3 new lineman. Almost as iffy as us starting 4 new linemen. Throw in the fact they had a first time ever QB who just didn't know when the play had gone too long and that he needed to get rid of it. I would say 6 or 7 of the sacks they took were on their 1st game QB trying to make something out of a play that wasn't there. UTM getting sacked 5 times, not too impressive really because that's what you should be doing against an FCS school in your home opener.

I know nothing at all about UK's offensive line, whether it's any good or bad. it hasn't gotten any media coverage so there's that. I do know in game 1 they couldn't run the ball at all. Was watching that game before ours and I think going into the 4th quarter they had like -14 rushing yards or something. The reason they won that game was because Southern Miss had that one defensive back who broke an NCAA record on pass interference penalties. The guy had 7 PI flags thrown at him at one point against 8 or 9 balls thrown his way. It was astounding why UK just didn't throw the ball at him each and every play from that point onward, but their passing game won that game not the run. Apparently they ran much better this past weekend but once again, consider the competition.

Ugh what was I looking at that said their game was Southern Miss. Their first game was Toledo. That's the team they couldn't run the ball on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT