ADVERTISEMENT

KY game thread...

Don’t sleep on our backup. Plus Xavier Peters just got cleared

I do not think we are good enough yet to sleep on any team. This is a road game for the Gators against a team they lost to last year. There should be no reason for them to not go in and give 100%. That should get them the victory, imo.

Reactions: bluejohnson
Well the numbers are what the numbers are, albeit giving the consideration to our opponents so far, but our glaring weakness seems to be the lack of a strong running game to build the rest of the offense around. Perhaps it might be the other way around this year though and the pass is setting up our runs. Doubtful on that. At least our tackling improved 10,000,000% from game 1 to game 2. We can only hope that continues.

Reactions: SwampLander
We can't really boast too much about our sack record here. 10 sacks against a UM offensive line that was starting 3 new lineman. Almost as iffy as us starting 4 new linemen. Throw in the fact they had a first time ever QB who just didn't know when the play had gone too long and that he needed to get rid of it. I would say 6 or 7 of the sacks they took were on their 1st game QB trying to make something out of a play that wasn't there. UTM getting sacked 5 times, not too impressive really because that's what you should be doing against an FCS school in your home opener.

I know nothing at all about UK's offensive line, whether it's any good or bad. it hasn't gotten any media coverage so there's that. I do know in game 1 they couldn't run the ball at all. Was watching that game before ours and I think going into the 4th quarter they had like -14 rushing yards or something. The reason they won that game was because Southern Miss had that one defensive back who broke an NCAA record on pass interference penalties. The guy had 7 PI flags thrown at him at one point against 8 or 9 balls thrown his way. It was astounding why UK just didn't throw the ball at him each and every play from that point onward, but their passing game won that game not the run. Apparently they ran much better this past weekend but once again, consider the competition.

KY ran the ball decent in both games after a slow start. They have an above average SEC O line even by SEC standards.

KY ran the ball decent in both games after a slow start. They have an above average SEC O line even by SEC standards.

Our oline is good, especially for UK. Both tackles have a chance to get drafted. Our LG is gonna get drafted and our center is a 4 star. They have all played together over the past 3 years.

Our WRS and TEs are large by any standard. Our weakness is the secondary

Reactions: Gator Fever
Our oline is good, especially for UK. Both tackles have a chance to get drafted. Our LG is gonna get drafted and our center is a 4 star. They have all played together over the past 3 years.

Pressuring the QB is a developing process for UK too..... kinda hard to replace a Josh Allen

I like your team, even the backup QB is a big boy and from all accounts has some talent. Your weakness (dbs) should play to our strength.

I expect a tough game. Turnovers could play a significant role as I do not see any overwhelming disparity between the teams, especially with the Cats having Home field. Should be fun.....but my money is on the Gators here..

We can't really boast too much about our sack record here. 10 sacks against a UM offensive line that was starting 3 new lineman. Almost as iffy as us starting 4 new linemen. Throw in the fact they had a first time ever QB who just didn't know when the play had gone too long and that he needed to get rid of it. I would say 6 or 7 of the sacks they took were on their 1st game QB trying to make something out of a play that wasn't there. UTM getting sacked 5 times, not too impressive really because that's what you should be doing against an FCS school in your home opener.

I know nothing at all about UK's offensive line, whether it's any good or bad. it hasn't gotten any media coverage so there's that. I do know in game 1 they couldn't run the ball at all. Was watching that game before ours and I think going into the 4th quarter they had like -14 rushing yards or something. The reason they won that game was because Southern Miss had that one defensive back who broke an NCAA record on pass interference penalties. The guy had 7 PI flags thrown at him at one point against 8 or 9 balls thrown his way. It was astounding why UK just didn't throw the ball at him each and every play from that point onward, but their passing game won that game not the run. Apparently they ran much better this past weekend but once again, consider the competition.
Damn man, we played Southern Miss 2 years ago lol. We also ran the ball well against Toledo so I have no clue what you are talking about. Our offensive line is one of the best in the country and graded out in the top 5 in PFF rankings last week lol. Also Toledo was picked to win their conference and would prob beat Miami. It will be a tough game either way, I think the key is UK nullifying the pass rush somehow.

Ahmad Wagner or as the tv personality called him "Ahmed Flagner" will set a record for getting pass interference calls by the opposing DB's. Just throw it to him

Kentucky's strengths are both of their lines on O and D, with decent Linebackers. DB's are perceived to be on paper our weakness, but ffter the first half of the Toledo game, I think they look better then what was expected. They still make mistakes though as they have less playing time under their belt then any other unit. Running game has been strong so far with Kavosiey Smoke(Best name in Football) looking to be the highlight, even though he isn't the starting RB he has broken big run's and seems to hit the holes and cut's better then our starter Rose. QB play is big Question mark now that Wilson is out, but I don't think the gameplan will change much as the backup has some wheels, and seems to be a more accurate passer going long. Should be a close game. Either team could win

UK's strength is it's front 7 on D. It's the best DL they've had in a long time. Bohanna, Carter, Taylor, McCall and Hoskins rotate in and out with little to no drop off. They have solid LBs in Daniel, Square, Paschal and Watson, with Wright, Oats, Davis and now Peters in the mix, so, they have quality depth there. Secondary has some very nice athletes with good speed and size, just very little experience, so, still a work in progress.

UK has 3 solid RBs in Rose, Smoke and Rodriguez. None are as good as Snell was last year, but, all 3 are capable backs with a little better speed, so, they're deeper this year. The OL is very good with 3 starters back and a 4th that started 2 years ago before last years season ending injury. The 5th starter also played a lot last year as did his back up, so, this is the teams strength on that side of the ball. Bowden is a stud WR that they'll try and get the ball in his hands as many times as possible. The other WRs are a little green, but, they have good size and speed and are capable. 2 or 3 have separated themselves from the pack and the coaching staff are expecting good things from them. They're also utilizing there TEs more this year. They have 3 quality guys there. Then there's Smith. He doesn't have the electric speed of a Terry Wilson, but, actually throws a much better ball and is more accurate and he's a competitor. Tough kid. IMO, he may end up being a better fit in there offense than TW. Too soon to tell, but, a real possibility.

Kicking game, both place kicker and punter are above average.

The replacement QB is slow and will get sacked by the FL D. Kentucky’s run game is much worse and they were very dependent on Wilson’s progress. Kentucky’s D is much much worse and FL will run the ball at will. Look for a blowout in traditional fashion. 31-10 gators.
lol!!!

Ugh, this might explain a lot. Have never bothered to think so much on Kentucky till after the disaster that was the game in 2018. NEVER FORGET!!!!! I just looked at their schedule. With Tennessee not having a football coach in charge of it, KY literally plays Florida and Georgia and then 10 near automatic wins on it's schedule. All they have to do all year is prepare for Florida and Georgia, the rest is of no consequence.

Take a look at their final four games. Tennessee (EASY win), Vanderbilt (win), UT-martin (win), Louisville (win). Their cross divisional opponents this year are so lucky as they draw Miss State and Arkansas. Only way it could possibly have been easier is to have Ole Miss and Arky. None of the landmines from the West are on their radar at all. The only 2 possible games short of Florida and UGLY are Missouri and South Caroliney, but UK SHOULD beat those teams handily.

This is no wonder we get such a strong game from them every year. We are essentially their superbowl game of the year. Well that and them owning the longest losing streak to a consecutively played regular season opponent in modern history doesn't help.

This gives me a bit of new appreciation for this game, realizing just how big of a target we are on their schedule when they generally are barely a blip on ours.

Ugh, this might explain a lot. Have never bothered to think so much on Kentucky till after the disaster that was the game in 2018. NEVER FORGET!!!!! I just looked at their schedule. With Tennessee not having a football coach in charge of it, KY literally plays Florida and Georgia and then 10 near automatic wins on it's schedule. All they have to do all year is prepare for Florida and Georgia, the rest is of no consequence.

Take a look at their final four games. Tennessee (EASY win), Vanderbilt (win), UT-martin (win), Louisville (win). Their cross divisional opponents this year are so lucky as they draw Miss State and Arkansas. Only way it could possibly have been easier is to have Ole Miss and Arky. None of the landmines from the West are on their radar at all. The only 2 possible games short of Florida and UGLY are Missouri and South Caroliney, but UK SHOULD beat those teams handily.

This is no wonder we get such a strong game from them every year. We are essentially their superbowl game of the year. Well that and them owning the longest losing streak to a consecutively played regular season opponent in modern history doesn't help.

This gives me a bit of new appreciation for this game, realizing just how big of a target we are on their schedule when they generally are barely a blip on ours.

Great Post! You are exactly correct. Most of us, were there in the 80s, when UK- UF wasn't a sure thing either way. Then, we were all tortured for 30 years of blowouts and near misses. For most UK fans, Florida is the pinnacle of our division, and the 1 win any fan would trade for a family pet or car.

This is the first time in 20 years, that UK has multiple players that would start or play in the 2 deep at UF.

Slow down...Kentucky is not good enough to take anyone for granted. They aren't Bama or Clemson. Arky, Miss St, Mizzou or SC could all beat them and nobody would be surprised. Tenn beat them last year and Vandy played them tough.

Slow down...Kentucky is not good enough to take anyone for granted. They aren't Bama or Clemson. Arky, Miss St, Mizzou or SC could all beat them and nobody would be surprised. Tenn beat them last year and Vandy played them tough.
Arky just got embarrassed by Ole Miss, I don't see them beating ANYONE in the SEC this year if they couldn't land that game. Vandy lost Shurmur from last year who was instrumental in moving that team. They are a shell of what they were in 2018 with literally nothing coming back save for the 1 RB and he didn't give them any chance against Georgia or Purdue this year.

Sorry but I don't see UT upsetting KY 2 years in a row and UT is worse this year than last because Pruitt has had more time to have his hands on it and mess that team up. They are going backwards and after the way the first 2 games have gone, that team has almost no fan support anymore. The people who DO show up for their games just boo them.

SC is an enigma, we will find out of this new QB Hjilinskia is actually better than Bortley or whoever they had before that just sucked horsebeans. Bama is going to grind them into dust this weekend but everyone keeps trying to say this is Muschamp's most complete team yet. I'll believe that when I see it, till then KY is the better team here.

In all honesty I didn't give MSS-state enough credit, they are probably even if just a bit better than KY. Depends where the game is played I think and the state of the two teams entering into that game.

Tons o’ truth here

Didn't yall see our Missouri game last year? While we do have some nice little streaks against Missouri and Carolina we're not good enough to overlook the rest/anyone in the East.

We can't really boast too much about our sack record here. 10 sacks against a UM offensive line that was starting 3 new lineman. Almost as iffy as us starting 4 new linemen. Throw in the fact they had a first time ever QB

UF 24 - 20 scUM (-4)
Gator's got 10 sacks vs 3 new OL starters for the scUM.
Mia got 1 sack vs 4 new OL starters for the Gators.
Hello.... :rolleyes:

Next game:
N.C. 28 - 25 scUM (-3)
The Tar Heels defense got ZERO sacks.

PS
The Gators (after 2 Gms) lead the Nation with 15 total sacks.... o_O
~ So far the Gator OL has only given up 2 sacks for 10 yds. :cool:

Arky just got embarrassed by Ole Miss, I don't see them beating ANYONE in the SEC this year if they couldn't land that game. Vandy lost Shurmur from last year who was instrumental in moving that team. They are a shell of what they were in 2018 with literally nothing coming back save for the 1 RB and he didn't give them any chance against Georgia or Purdue this year.

Sorry but I don't see UT upsetting KY 2 years in a row and UT is worse this year than last because Pruitt has had more time to have his hands on it and mess that team up. They are going backwards and after the way the first 2 games have gone, that team has almost no fan support anymore. The people who DO show up for their games just boo them.

SC is an enigma, we will find out of this new QB Hjilinskia is actually better than Bortley or whoever they had before that just sucked horsebeans. Bama is going to grind them into dust this weekend but everyone keeps trying to say this is Muschamp's most complete team yet. I'll believe that when I see it, till then KY is the better team here.

In all honesty I didn't give MSS-state enough credit, they are probably even if just a bit better than KY. Depends where the game is played I think and the state of the two teams entering into that game.
I'm not suggesting they won't win, but my point is they are not a team with enough elite talent to just show up and win. In the SEC Bama, Georgia and LSU all have enough elite talent they can survive bad games against inferior talented opponents...Kentucky cant. Have a bad game against State, Mizzou or SC and they most likely lose. TN blows and Arky and Vandy should be wins, but they still need to play well.

Reactions: WayneinSarasota
I'm not suggesting they won't win, but my point is they are not a team with enough elite talent to just show up and win. In the SEC Bama, Georgia and LSU all have enough elite talent they can survive bad games against inferior talented opponents...Kentucky cant. Have a bad game against State, Mizzou or SC and they most likely lose. TN blows and Arky and Vandy should be wins, but they still need to play well.

All true - UK has to bring it every game. Our talent pool is improving in recruiting and transfers, but our margin for error compared to the SEC Big 6 is small - and compared to UGA and Bammer, we would need them to help with mistakes

Well with everything I keep reading from their fans, the national media, every blog or article about the game on other websites like SDS or EDSBS, UF is going into saturday as 50 point underdogs. They sure are very confident that Florida is going to lose on Saturday, so they must be that damn good. I personally only got to see a snippet of their 2nd qtr and 3rd qtr against Toledo and what I saw was they could not run the ball on Toledo at all, but Toledo couldn't cover their #1 receiver for anything either. A lot has happened in 2 weeks I understand, but eh. With the game being up in KY territory, we don't seem to be getting much love at all from any direction.

Time to circle the wagons folks. I would just be so much more confident if our running game had been established by this point is all. That's my #1 worry.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Kentucky-football-Eddie-Gran-Sawyer-Smith-135455753/

-- Landon Young, who won Co-SEC offensive lineman of the week, said he doesn’t pay attention to Florida’s defensive stats. The Gators have 15 sacks through two games, including 10 sacks against Miami.

“I just gotta go out there and do what I know what to do,” Young said. “I don’t think about stats. I just look at personnel and practice what I see, go out there and do the best I can. I don’t care about how many sacks, how many tackles they got. I’m gonna do what I’m gonna do. Those stats are going to be different against me.”
------------------------

I guess he doesn't like the talk from the Louisville transfer....

My thoughts on this game are about like the Miami game. I will probably predict another OT win. This is definitely a year I wish the game was in the Swamp instead.

\Why? We have won in Lexington 19 times in a row. We have lost twice at home against them in that span.

What's making me angry right now is an article where the Florida players are saying revenge is not on their mind and they are approaching this as any other game. I dunno if that was coached into them to say that to the media or what, but so help me to smeg, they BETTER be taking this game as revenge.

If it were me in charge, the entire defense would have been doing 303 pushups every single day since that debacle to KY in 2018, just to burn that memory into the minds and into their muscles how embarrassing this loss was. An insult to the 31 teams that came before them. So help me they better be taking this game seriously as all heck.

Like I've stated elsewhere already, I expect us to hang 50 points at least and then call all the timeouts at the end of the game to make them remember that we didn't forget 2018.

And if they ARE just being told to keep silent to the media, then I am sick and tired of all this liberal politically correct bullshot as well. I want the days back when you could say something, back when Spurrier would make headlines. What's the point of winning and beating your rivals if you can't rub their noses in it for a year? So tired of this "don't offend anyone" attitude to everything this society is trying to push on us these days. Screw that. Go piss someone off every day. Make that a daily goal. It's your constitutional right and privilege to offend people. Make the damn sport entertaining again I say. It certainly isn't improving on the field with all of these wishy washy rules about not being able to hit another player in practically any way anymore. Good grief we are only a few rules away from removing tackling alltogether and making football in america FLAG football at every level of the game.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
UF 24 - 20 scUM (-4)
Gator's got 10 sacks vs 3 new OL starters for the scUM.
Mia got 1 sack vs 4 new OL starters for the Gators.
Hello.... :rolleyes:

Next game:
N.C. 28 - 25 scUM (-3)
The Tar Heels defense got ZERO sacks.

PS
The Gators (after 2 Gms) lead the Nation with 15 total sacks.... o_O
~ So far the Gator OL has only given up 2 sacks for 10 yds. :cool:
Maybe im misunderstanding you as I skim but North Carolina sacked SCUM 4 times.

UF always seems to play better against Kentucky during a day game compared to the last several night games UF barely squeaks a win.

Lots of bourbon will have been consumed by kickoff leading to a cranked crowd.

I know nothing at all about UK's offensive line, whether it's any good or bad. i

Others have responded. We rotate 8, anchored by Junior Drake Jackson, a former Rivals 4 Star listed as the No. 2 Center in his recruiting class, and left tackle Young, a Rival 5 Star/Top 10 overall three years back.

This gives me a bit of new appreciation for this game, realizing just how big of a target we are on their schedule

I’m sure you could blow me away with how high Gator ticket prices can get in good seasons, but I’m seeing prices in the 250.00/300.00 range; a rarity at UK.

and the 1 win any fan would trade for a family pet or car.

Ok. I have a cat and a dog, and a ‘69 Camaro (but it’s up on blocks).

Have a bad game against State, Mizzou or SC and they most likely lose.

We had a very anemic game at Mizzou last year and pulled out a miracle. How’d the Gators fair agin’ them Tigers last Fall?

What's the point of winning and beating your rivals if you can't rub their noses in it for a year?

Sounds like an invitation for 40 more hours of Gator-nose rubbing (or more?).

Hell, I’m just too damn politically correct!

My wife surprised me for my birthday by getting us two tickets to the game on Saturday. $350 for the 200 level at the 20-yard line. :eek: This will be my first game at CWS since 2013; definitely looking forward to it.

Huge props to our D for win at Mizzou. Holding them to 7 or 8 straight three-and-outs for the entire second is something I’ve never seen a UK defense pull off before.

That wife is a keeper ! Glad I have season tix at the 50.... that’s a pricey ducat right now. Thought about selling our parking pass.... I think our section was going for $750

Reactions: ukalum1988
My wife surprised me for my birthday by getting us two tickets to the game on Saturday. $350 for the 200 level at the 20-yard line. :eek: This will be my first game at CWS since 2013; definitely looking forward to it.

Huge props to our D for win at Mizzou. Holding them to 7 or 8 straight three-and-outs for the entire second is something I’ve never seen a UK defense pull off before.
Now if I can get some good seats at a Florida-Kentucky basketball game in Gainesville despite the cost. Last time I checked, upper level was going for almost $300 per ticket.:(

We had a very anemic game at Mizzou last year and pulled out a miracle. How’d the Gators fair agin’ them Tigers last Fall?

How did it work out for you against Tennessee?

All the skills and basically 1 game of experience in him. That's where the problem lies. Without Henderson we are going to be relying on 3 true freshman DBs.

I think Copeland can add some skill where KT will be missed. He played well against UTM and should only get better. What we have in abundance is skill players. Some of the best and most talented WR I have seen here since the Steve Spurrier years. For nearly a decade we have been awash in a wasteland where WRs consistently drop balls that hit them in the hands. Now that we have Van Jefferson, Cleveland, and Grimes we are golden. These guys are tall fast and have NFL hands as far as I'm concerned. Throw in Hammond too if you need to but finally I feel confident for the first time in years that our passes will be completions.

The RB game is what it is. If the Tight end blocking doesn't get fixed for the run game here, then it isn't going to make any difference whether we have KT in the game or not. We could have Emmitt Smith out there in his prime but if they don't fix the TE blocks and the fact that only 1 of the OL is getting any significant push according to Dan Mullen, the running game isn't going anywhere. Against UK I'm not so worried about that, but there are other teams where we will have no chance of winning if we are held 1 dimensional that easily.

This game should be close. Either team could win and I wouldn't be surprised either way. I also wouldn't be surprised if our team is pissed off at last year's result and wins by 30 either. So take that for what it is. I'm pretty sure we have the offense to win this game. Miami couldn't get much pass rush against our QB and we will only face 1 or 2 more defenses with that kind of line and LBs this year, so I actually feel good about the pass protection. Our own pass rush is just a beast right now, but of course measure the competition it's been up against. For OUR part, this game will be won or lost based on our running game or lack there of, and our linebackers stopping the run and DBs containing the pass threat.

This post, while seemingly reasonable on the surface, completely fails to account for how good our Dline is. You aren't running up the middle against UK. Better hit those edges hard.

Kentucky's Oline is one of the very best in the country. If Florida is able to really get to the new QB, it'll be a long day, but to just assume your pass rush is going to get through against this Oline is dangerous. They're better than any line you've faced and it isn't even close.

Should be fun. 30-24 Cats.

This post, while seemingly reasonable on the surface, completely fails to account for how good our Dline is. You aren't running up the middle against UK. Better hit those edges hard.

Kentucky's Oline is one of the very best in the country. If Florida is able to really get to the new QB, it'll be a long day, but to just assume your pass rush is going to get through against this Oline is dangerous. They're better than any line you've faced and it isn't even close.

Should be fun. 30-24 Cats.

You have a pretty good O line but its not one of the best in the country like Georgia and Bama I would say. Not really sure on us running against you but we haven't looked like a good running team so far.

You have a pretty good O line but its not one of the best in the country like Georgia and Bama I would say. Not really sure on us running against you but we haven't looked like a good running team so far.

From the PFF grade outs I’ve seen so far, I’m thinking the U.K. O-line is at 3rd or 4th in SEC..... but I can’t take that to the bank unless I just want a free deposit slip. We will find out a lot regarding our O-line and our running game tomorrow

UK Starters that would likely start for UF:

Lynn Bowden-WR/PR
Logan Stenberg-LG
Landon Young-LT
Darin Kinnard-RT
Drake Jackson-C
Quinton Bohanna-NG
Josh Paschal-OLB
Max Duffy-Punter

Ahmad Wagner-Flagganator

This has never happened in the last 30 years. Still tilted in UF Favor, but getting closer to 50/50

I said one of, and while I wouldn't argue UGA and Alabama are better, I don't think there are many better beyond them.

From the PFF grade outs I’ve seen so far, I’m thinking the U.K. O-line is at 3rd or 4th in SEC..... but I can’t take that to the bank unless I just want a free deposit slip. We will find out a lot regarding our O-line and our running game tomorrow
Auburn's O-line is really good too and Mizzou, LSU no slouches either. But no doubt KY has a very good offensive line.

Maybe im misunderstanding you as I skim but North Carolina sacked SCUM 4 times.
I pulled up their stats which showed zero at the site I used.
If your stats are correct, then thanks for the correction. :cool:

More pre-game trivia on the Gator defense:

Florida’s 15 sacks lead all FBS teams by 3, and its 26 TFL rank 2nd nationally, just 2 behind FBS-leading UCF (28 vs FL-A&M & FAU).

Only 4 FBS teams have more than 9 sacks, and only 6 teams have more than 20 TFLs. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT