ADVERTISEMENT

John Egbunu

HardeeWildcatFan

Gator Great
Oct 19, 2004
Was reading he qualifies to come back next year because of the injury last year.

I don’t think he has much stock in the draft and I think he’s going to come back to build his stock.

Would like the thoughts and opinions on what you guys think.

I would love to see him comeback because I believe he was the missing piece of the puzzle this season.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
He would have to petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility since he sat out the year after he transferred from USF. I don't know if he has his degree, but it really comes down to what he wants to do. Should he risk hurting his knees again for another year of college in hopes of increasing his draft status, or maybe go to Europe, make a million of two and try to prove himself as a pro over there? I would love to have him back, no doubt.

Unless he would be a 2nd round NBA pick I think he should return. Europe will be there regardless unless he is just hell bent on getting paid something just in case he keeps getting injured.

You to Europe...get paid. He probably already has a degree.

If he gets hurt while getting paid, he already has that play and a degree to fall back on.

Sure I'd love to have him back but I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

BTW, Hudson is projected as a second round pick too. I think he will also be gone.

On the original point, if he goes to Europe, and I think that he will, we are not really losing Egbunu. We have not had him since February of 2017

Reactions: rdgtr
BTW, Hudson is projected as a second round pick too. I think he will also be gone.

On the original point, if he goes to Europe, and I think that he will, we are not really losing Egbunu. We have not had him since February of 2017

Yep I would be really surprised if Hudson didn't leave. He improved a lot this season coming here.

If both Hudson & Egbunu leave, that will leave Florida with 12 players on their roster. Perhaps a graduate transfer would then be a possibility. Florida could use another point guard (back-up) in addition to incoming freshman PG Nembhard.

I don't think Florida has another reliable, ball-handler as both K.Allen & Okauru are more of a slashing 2-guard rather than a point that can run the team's plays. In the Texas Tech loss, FLorida did not look that great when Chiozza sat with 4-fouls and Allen made numerous turnovers against TT's defense.

However, if both Hudson & Egbunu choose to return, the Gators will have 14 players and will be one over the limited number of scholarship . That could make things interesting.

If both Hudson & Egbunu leave, that will leave Florida with 12 players on their roster. Perhaps a graduate transfer would then be a possibility. Florida could use another point guard (back-up) in addition to incoming freshman PG Nembhard.

I don't think Florida has another reliable, ball-handler as both K.Allen & Okauru are more of a slashing 2-guard rather than a point that can run the team's plays. In the Texas Tech loss, FLorida did not look that great when Chiozza sat with 4-fouls and Allen made numerous turnovers against TT's defense.

However, if both Hudson & Egbunu choose to return, the Gators will have 14 players and will be one over the limited number of scholarship . That could make things interesting.
http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-basketball/graduate-transfer-target-fgcus-zach-johnson/

Reactions: instaGATOR
SG/SF Jalen Hudson 6-6 192 Sr (will check his draft status then decide)

C/PF Kevarrius Hayes 6-9 225 Sr

SG/PG KeVaughn Allen 6-2 193 Sr

SG (WO) Mak Krause 6-2 170 Sr

SF/PF Keith Stone 6-8 245 Jr

C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245 Jr

SG/SF Deaundrae Ballard 6-5 195 So

PF Dontay Bassett 6-9 240 So

PG/SG Mike Okauru 6-3 180 So

PG (WO) Andrew Fava 5-10 165 So

SF/PF Chase Johnson 6-9 205 rsFr (4 Gms, injured out for season)

PF/C Isaiah Stokes 6-8 255 rsFr (rehabbing HS ACL)

~ rsSr C Egbunu is probably gone, but I won't stop counting Hudson until he leaves school or formally declares that he is turning Pro.
3-27-18 EDIT: Seems to be official now: After sitting out his senior season while recovering from a torn ACL, Florida senior center John Egbunu has decided not to pursue a medical exemption for a sixth year and will turn pro. -- Egbunu met with Florida coach Mike White on Monday to inform him of his decision and then posted a goodbye to Gator fans on Monday night on Instagram.
Good luck to Big John, from iG....
==============

#15 SF/PF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 220 Fr ****

#14 SG/PG Noah Locke 6-2 175 Fr ****

#3 PG/SG Andrew Nembhard 6-4 185 Fr *****

That's a full house13 Ships with 2 WO's = 15. (now 12+2 = 14)
IF Hudson leaves early and Eg doesn't get a waiver, then there will be 2 ships open.

3 PG - 5 SG - 3 SF - 2 PF - 1 C -- With 11 that can play 2 positions.
Including 8 that can play either guard.

Last edited:
Yep-errr, the Big Egg is moving on, so luck to him in his future.

That's a full house 13 Ships with 2 WO's = 15. >>>> (now 12+2 = 14) <<<<
IF Hudson leaves early and Eg doesn't get a waiver, then there will be 2 ships open.

One ship is now 'officially' open, while we're all still waiting on Hudson's decision.

Yep-errr, the Big Egg is moving on, so luck to him in his future.

That's a full house 13 Ships with 2 WO's = 15. >>>> (now 12+2 = 14) <<<<

One ship is now 'officially' open, while we're all still waiting on Hudson's decision.
I think if Hudson stays, we're maxed out at 13. - Okaru, C. Johnson, Stokes, Hudson, Allen, Gak, Hayes, Bassett, Ballard, Stone, K. Johnson, Nembhard, Locke

Best of luck to both Egbunu and Hudson. Thank you for your services, and we will miss you both. On a related note, sadgator respectfully suggests that you both add the following book to your spring reading lists...

41obkY6z57L._AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg

I think if Hudson stays, we're maxed out at 13. - Okaru, C. Johnson, Stokes, Hudson, Allen, Gak, Hayes, Bassett, Ballard, Stone, K. Johnson, Nembhard, Locke

Sorry ocala, I had Chase in my roster, I meant to ask who K. Johnson was? :confused:
=============

Hudson declared for the draft and added "but at this time I will not be signing with an agent." Hudson has until June 11 to withdraw from the draft and return to school for his senior season if he does not sign with an agent. (l'll just be keeping my fingers crossed until 7-11...

Option #1 -- He's not a 1st round pick, only a 'possible' 2nd round pick. o_O
Option #2 -- Get a lifetime UF degree and another shot at the Dance, then the NBA draft. :cool:

~ I hope he watched what happened to SF Devin Robinson 6-8 200 Jr when he took an E-D.
D-Rob averaged 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds a game in the 2016–17 season and then decided to forgo his senior year to launch his professional career and enter the NBA draft early.

D-Rob went undrafted in the 2017 NBA draft, but joined the Washington Wizards for the 2017 NBA Summer League. Based on this performance, Robinson was signed to a FA two-way contract by the Wizards on July 14, 2017. He became the team's 2nd 2-way contract that year, meaning he also splits time between the Wizards and a G League that best suits Washington's area. On November 2, 2017, Robinson was assigned to the Delaware 87ers of the NBA G League, where he will spend most of his time this season. :oops:

Sorry ocala, I had Chase in my roster, I meant to ask who K. Johnson was? :confused:
=============

Hudson declared for the draft and added "but at this time I will not be signing with an agent." Hudson has until June 11 to withdraw from the draft and return to school for his senior season if he does not sign with an agent. (l'll just be keeping my fingers crossed until 7-11...

Option #1 -- He's not a 1st round pick, only a 'possible' 2nd round pick. o_O
Option #2 -- Get a lifetime UF degree and another shot at the Dance, then the NBA draft. :cool:

~ I hope he watched what happened to SF Devin Robinson 6-8 200 Jr when he took an E-D.
D-Rob averaged 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds a game in the 2016–17 season and then decided to forgo his senior year to launch his professional career and enter the NBA draft early.

D-Rob went undrafted in the 2017 NBA draft, but joined the Washington Wizards for the 2017 NBA Summer League. Based on this performance, Robinson was signed to a FA two-way contract by the Wizards on July 14, 2017. He became the team's 2nd 2-way contract that year, meaning he also splits time between the Wizards and a G League that best suits Washington's area. On November 2, 2017, Robinson was assigned to the Delaware 87ers of the NBA G League, where he will spend most of his time this season. :oops:
Keyontae Johnson, signed with Locke & Nembhard. You have his video a few posts earlier.

Scrambled brains for breakfast.... :confused: Numbering them this time around... :cool:

1. SG/SF Jalen Hudson 6-6 192 Sr (7-11 to decide on E-D)

2. C/PF Kevarrius Hayes 6-9 225 Sr

3. SG/PG KeVaughn Allen 6-2 193 Sr

~~ SG (WO) Mak Krause 6-2 170 Sr

4. SF/PF Keith Stone 6-8 245 Jr

5. C Gorjok Gak 6-11 245 Jr

6. SG/SF Deaundrae Ballard 6-5 195 So

7. PF Dontay Bassett 6-9 240 So

8. PG/SG Mike Okauru 6-3 180 So

~~ PG (WO) Andrew Fava 5-10 165 So

9. SF/PF Chase Johnson 6-9 205 rsFr (4 Gms, injured out for season)

10. PF/C Isaiah Stokes 6-8 255 rsFr (rehabbing HS ACL in 17-18)

~ C John Egbunu rsSr -- is officially gone (he kinda had to go)

11. #15 SF/PF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 220 Fr ****

12. #14 SG/PG Noah Locke 6-2 175 Fr ****

13. #3 PG/SG Andrew Nembhard 6-4 185 Fr *****

No room for a Grad-xfer if Hudson stays, (sure hope he does).
Or one open if Hudson leaves early for the NBA draft.

Hard to believe that there's a Grad-xfer out there to get, that's better than Hudson. o_O

For the 1st time in a while, a full roster (13 + 2 = 15) to work with,,,,
IF they can all stay healthy, or get healthy, through the off season. :cool:

Last edited:
“On his off days, Robinson also is responsible for the maintenance of the Pop-A-Shot arcade game at the downtown Newark Chuck E Cheese’s....”

They never learn.

It's not like Robinson necessarily would have improved his stock that much playing another year. I think Hudson is in the same boat. The NBA knows who they are. Pat Young played four years and went undrafted, even after being SEC defensive player of the year and going to the Final 4. Scottie Wilbekin was the SEC player of the year and didn't get drafted after 4 years.

If you look at that link, the two-way contract players get $75k for the six-month G League season, and $200k if they spend 45 days on an NBA roster, so that's not terrible for playing hoops for six months, and I'm sure keeps Robinson out of the fast food industry. G League players also typically get bonuses from $25,000 to $100,000 for an invite to an NBA camp. If he signs a contract, even for a year, it's basically like hitting the lottery, and if he ever signs multi-year, then his children's children aren't going to have to worry about money. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NBA one day. He is an elite athlete, even by NBA standards. He's exactly the kind of long, athletic player who can shoot, rebound and especially defend the perimeter, that is in favor in the spread NBA game.

I would say he's a better bet to play in the NBA than Hudson.

It's not like Robinson necessarily would have improved his stock that much playing another year. I think Hudson is in the same boat. The NBA knows who they are. Pat Young played four years and went undrafted, even after being SEC defensive player of the year and going to the Final 4. Scottie Wilbekin was the SEC player of the year and didn't get drafted after 4 years.

If you look at that link, the two-way contract players get $75k for the six-month G League season, and $200k if they spend 45 days on an NBA roster, so that's not terrible for playing hoops for six months, and I'm sure keeps Robinson out of the fast food industry. G League players also typically get bonuses from $25,000 to $100,000 for an invite to an NBA camp. If he signs a contract, even for a year, it's basically like hitting the lottery, and if he ever signs multi-year, then his children's children aren't going to have to worry about money. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NBA one day. He is an elite athlete, even by NBA standards. He's exactly the kind of long, athletic player who can shoot, rebound and especially defend the perimeter, that is in favor in the spread NBA game.

Good point.

If they are going to be drafted in the 2nd round it definitely makes since to go. Young probably is a late 2nd round pick if he came out earlier. Even though it was good for us he probably made the wrong decision there. The non drafted guys there are arguments both ways for the foreign league stuff I guess. Whether Egbunu ever really makes some top money will come down to recovering from his injuries probably whether he goes the undrafted NBA route or goes overseas first.

Anyone know what happened to that skinny guy that came out early that never panned out good here? He made a mistake coming out then imo.

Edit: I see Walker is still in the D league and it has him listed around 200 lbs. Maybe a misprint but he still looks pretty skinny. He probably should have took a few months off and loaded up on some Bama deer antler velvet.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
If they are going to be drafted in the 2nd round it definitely makes since to go. Young probably is a late 2nd round pick if he came out earlier. Even though it was good for us he probably made the wrong decision there. The non drafted guys there are arguments both ways for the foreign league stuff I guess. Whether Egbunu ever really makes some top money will come down to recovering from his injuries probably whether he goes the undrafted NBA route or goes overseas first.

Anyone know what happened to that skinny guy that came out early that never panned out good here? He made a mistake coming out then imo.

Edit: I see Walker is still in the D league and it has him listed around 200 lbs. Maybe a misprint but he still looks pretty skinny. He probably should have took a few months off and loaded up on some Bama deer antler velvet.

It’s funny that Young probably would have been best served by coming out after 1 year. He would have been drafted on physical talent alone, even though he was a much better player by year 4.

Reactions: Gator Fever
After going undrafted in the 2014 NBA draft, Young joined the New Orleans Pelicans for the 2014 NBA Summer League. On July 24, 2014, he signed with the Pelicans. On November 30, 2014, he was waived by the Pelicans before appearing in a game for them.

On December 3, 2014, Young signed with Galatasaray Liv Hospital of Turkey for the rest of the 2014–15 season. In 24 Turkish League games, he averaged 10.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per game.

On June 27, 2015, Young joined the Phoenix Suns for the 2015 NBA Summer League.[10] On July 17, 2015, he signed a two-year contract with the Greek club Olympiacos. On November 12, 2015, he suffered a torn ACL in a game against Anadolu Efes, and was shut down for the rest of the season.

On July 10, 2017, Young signed with Italian club Olimpia Milano. He was released on February 26, 2018, without ever appearing in a single game for the club due to injuries.

===========

1'st rounder, then go (Horford-Noah-Brewer). If they already have a UF degree and they leave early for just a 'chance' at the NBA, then that's one thing. But to leave early for just a FA shot at the NBA, and without a degree is foolish imo, but that's me.

Last edited:
I've read that most European League basketball players make between $65-100,000 USD per year. Not bad. The Top 30 players make between 1 & 3 million and I read where Nick Calethas made $2.1 million as the 11th best paid player. For guys who love the game and just don't have the skills for the NBA or are trying to improve their game so an NBA team gives them a shot, Europe is a way to make a decent living and keep playing against pros.

Well I don't think anyone drafted Egbunu. Not sure who has signed him yet as a free agent or if a European team has signed him. Robinson is still in the D league I think.

Anyone know how many years its been since we have actually had a player taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft? I know a couple have made it and played decent recently but I think they weren't drafted.

Well I don't think anyone drafted Egbunu. Not sure who has signed him yet as a free agent or if a European team has signed him. Robinson is still in the D league I think.

Anyone know how many years its been since we have actually had a player taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft? I know a couple have made it and played decent recently but I think they weren't drafted.

The last Gator selected in the NBA draft was Erik Murphy on 2013 (2nd round, Chicago)

Reactions: Gator Fever
It sounds like Egbunu was told after getting a physical for the NBA recently that the surgery he needs for his knee would prevent him from playing professional basketball. If true I guess he is done as far as basketball goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT