ADVERTISEMENT

It's the economy stupid

I would have voted for Haley. I probably won't vote with the two choices we have.....but I live in a state where it won't be close so its not that important. I didn't vote when it was Hillary vs Trump because I couldn't pull the trigger for either.

I have lived through double digit inflation, interest rates nearing 20%, waiting for an hour to get gas, the 2008 financial crises, etc. The current price for gas, groceries, etc. isn't much of an issue for me.....whoever is president we will get through the relatively tame inflation we have now (3.2% last I looked) and it will be nothing more than a speed bump in history.

The two things that move the needle for me are the things that, IMO, threaten our country the most for my kids and grandkids. 1) how divided we currently are and 2) the ever increasing deficit.

Nobody knows exactly when the deficit will become a really big problem.....but we are getting closer to it every day and neither of these two old guys are going to to much of anything to change that.
So much uninformed in this. I have a very good piece of advice for you. Post less...rea more(especially MY posts) so that you can talk with some knowledge of what is happening around the world.

And let me educate YOU like I did Goldmom. NOT voting is one of the DUMBEST things ANY American can do. First of all...if YOU are whining because YOR candidate did not win...and this is at LEAST two times in a row...I think it should tell you something. YOU are the dummy...not everyone else!

I would have voted for Haley. I probably won't vote with the two choices we have.....but I live in a state where it won't be close so its not that important. I didn't vote when it was Hillary vs Trump because I couldn't pull the trigger for either.

I have lived through double digit inflation, interest rates nearing 20%, waiting for an hour to get gas, the 2008 financial crises, etc. The current price for gas, groceries, etc. isn't much of an issue for me.....whoever is president we will get through the relatively tame inflation we have now (3.2% last I looked) and it will be nothing more than a speed bump in history.

The two things that move the needle for me are the things that, IMO, threaten our country the most for my kids and grandkids. 1) how divided we currently are and 2) the ever increasing deficit.

Nobody knows exactly when the deficit will become a really big problem.....but we are getting closer to it every day and neither of these two old guys are going to to much of anything to change that.
I appreciate you taking the time to respectfully answer my question. I didn’t vote in 2016 for the same reason you didn’t. I will vote this election because I do live in a state (Florida) where it could go either way. My sister and brother in law live in NC and have been conservatives their whole life and probably won’t vote because they don’t like Trump. I never liked the narrative where you had to be all in with either one. You can dislike both.

I will vote for Trump. From a personal standpoint, I do think he’s a detestable human being. I don’t think he was a bad president. Unfortunately most good presidents have been shitty people. And the few presidents who have been stand up people (Carter) turned out to be awful presidents. In modern times at least.

I am conservative but have always prided myself on an open mind. I was for gay marriage when that was considered a radical liberal idea for example.

I think no matter who wins it will divide us more. The most powerful civilizations in human history were destroyed from within.

Reactions: LordofallSocks
For Illegal Shift, You really show your ignorance, or arrogance, or lack of compassion or lack of something by saying the cost of gas, groceries, etc isn't an issue for you. Obviously you have no idea or just don't care about the millions and millions of Americans where the cost of those items IS a major issue for them. But I'm glad you let us all know that you're not destitute.

For Illegal Shift, You really show your ignorance, or arrogance, or lack of compassion or lack of something by saying the cost of gas, groceries, etc isn't an issue for you. Obviously you have no idea or just don't care about the millions and millions of Americans where the cost of those items IS a major issue for them. But I'm glad you let us all know that you're not destitute.

Notice how all the libs try to brag about their fanancial wealth? Cucky...DMF...no this one. WE KNOW what it REALLY means.

Notice how all the libs try to brag about their fanancial wealth? Cucky...DMF...no this one. WE KNOW what it REALLY means.
This is what BSC911 wrote regarding how much money board participants were getting in their stimulus checks a few years ago.

"Just checking the demographics of this board. Feel free to reply to this thread with your personal situation. Myself, I will not. I make too much money."

When I didn't respond to his assinine survey, he recognized that and told me there was nothing to be ashamed of. I guess he thought I was on food stamps.

Last edited:
I appreciate you taking the time to respectfully answer my question. I didn’t vote in 2016 for the same reason you didn’t. I will vote this election because I do live in a state (Florida) where it could go either way. My sister and brother in law live in NC and have been conservatives their whole life and probably won’t vote because they don’t like Trump. I never liked the narrative where you had to be all in with either one. You can dislike both.

I will vote for Trump. From a personal standpoint, I do think he’s a detestable human being. I don’t think he was a bad president. Unfortunately most good presidents have been shitty people. And the few presidents who have been stand up people (Carter) turned out to be awful presidents. In modern times at least.

I am conservative but have always prided myself on an open mind. I was for gay marriage when that was considered a radical liberal idea for example.

I think no matter who wins it will divide us more. The most powerful civilizations in human history were destroyed from within.
Appreciate your response as well Trey. Its pretty rare to have a reasonable conversation on this board.

Unfortunately where you and I agree the most is on your last sentence. Hard to see a path where the division doesn't continue to get worse and ultimately lead to trouble. Especially with what social media has done to the whole thing. People are so sure that their particular version of America is the right one they are seemingly willing to burn the whole thing down just to make sure the other side doesn't prevail. So in the end we all lose.
However, I will continue to hold out hope and its one reason why I won't vote for Trump. Of the options he is the most divisive in my view. A second term for him will be a lot different than the first given all that has happened since then. I don't know of any politician that we have ever had in this country is both so loved and hated at the same time. Gasoline on an already raging fire.

One part I will take issue with. I think Ronald Reagan was a good person and a good president. I think several of the presidents in our lifetime have been decent people, but we can probably debate there level of success as a president. I also think, in the short run presidents get graded mostly on the economy and that doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: treygator29
No surprise that you didn't grasp the context.

• Haha
Reactions: LordofallSocks
Appreciate your response as well Trey. Its pretty rare to have a reasonable conversation on this board.

Unfortunately where you and I agree the most is on your last sentence. Hard to see a path where the division doesn't continue to get worse and ultimately lead to trouble. Especially with what social media has done to the whole thing. People are so sure that their particular version of America is the right one they are seemingly willing to burn the whole thing down just to make sure the other side doesn't prevail. So in the end we all lose.
However, I will continue to hold out hope and its one reason why I won't vote for Trump. Of the options he is the most divisive in my view. A second term for him will be a lot different than the first given all that has happened since then. I don't know of any politician that we have ever had in this country is both so loved and hated at the same time. Gasoline on an already raging fire.

One part I will take issue with. I think Ronald Reagan was a good person and a good president. I think several of the presidents in our lifetime have been decent people, but we can probably debate there level of success as a president. I also think, in the short run presidents get graded mostly on the economy and that doesn't make much sense.
You got me on Reagan there. He’s actually my favorite president so I probably should have seen that one.

I noticed that you and @kalimgoodman get crapped on a lot on here because you don’t think like the conservative majority on here (of which yes I am apart of.)

But I still think there is a way to go about it. Kalim and I have admitted we don’t see eye to eye on everything. We also have agreed that that’s ok. And we are able to have civil conversations about it. I’ve gotten flak from my conservative brethren for sticking up for Kalim because I think he gets dragged into posts that he never intended on participating in. (Yes I know I did exactly that here but I think he will forgive me.)

My point is, one of the things that mystifies me the most is when people refuse to look at other sides of the story. And cease to have rational conversation. I can respect any point of view even if I disagree with it. As long as I can tell the person has thought about it, I’m ok with disagreeing with someone.

You got me on Reagan there. He’s actually my favorite president so I probably should have seen that one.

I noticed that you and @kalimgoodman get crapped on a lot on here because you don’t think like the conservative majority on here (of which yes I am apart of.)

But I still think there is a way to go about it. Kalim and I have admitted we don’t see eye to eye on everything. We also have agreed that that’s ok. And we are able to have civil conversations about it. I’ve gotten flak from my conservative brethren for sticking up for Kalim because I think he gets dragged into posts that he never intended on participating in. (Yes I know I did exactly that here but I think he will forgive me.)

My point is, one of the things that mystifies me the most is when people refuse to look at other sides of the story. And cease to have rational conversation. I can respect any point of view even if I disagree with it. As long as I can tell the person has thought about it, I’m ok with disagreeing with someone.
You are forgiven haha. This is a great post. Yeah I get baited or people try to bait me into a thread. My favorite are the ones in which they assume my opinions on a topic based on nothing.

We don't have to agree and I don't try to get people to agree with me. What I try to do and fail miserably at, is I try to get them to understand why someone may think differently.

Like I understand why someone would think Biden is senile. I understand why someone would think the economy is bad. I also understand why someone would think Biden isn't senile and the economy is good.

That is it why it is tough to have a conversation. Most of the people on the right from this board will never admit anything is wrong with Trump or the Republicans. They don't even admit that Trump cheated on his wife. It's all a game to some, mixed with tribalism.

You come across as legitimate and respectful, on par with my guy @grandhavendiddy.

You are forgiven haha. This is a great post. Yeah I get baited or people try to bait me into a thread. My favorite are the ones in which they assume my opinions on a topic based on nothing.

We don't have to agree and I don't try to get people to agree with me. What I try to do and fail miserably at, is I try to get them to understand why someone may think differently.

Like I understand why someone would think Biden is senile. I understand why someone would think the economy is bad. I also understand why someone would think Biden isn't senile and the economy is good.

That is it why it is tough to have a conversation. Most of the people on the right from this board will never admit anything is wrong with Trump or the Republicans. They don't even admit that Trump cheated on his wife. It's all a game to some, mixed with tribalism.

You come across as legitimate and respectful, on par with my guy @grandhavendiddy.
Appreciate the kind words @kalimgoodman.

I completely agree with the need to have open, rationale dialogue and then try to get to a better combined position.

Jsf. What caused housing prices and car prices to go up?

I also remember back when I was a teenager and inflation was in double digits and folks used to worry about if people my age could ever buy a home. Things changed.

And just FYI, I don't support Biden. Because I dislike Trump the "Trumpies" on here like to call me a lefty and a liberal democrat, etc.........its what they are programmed to do because they can't think for themselves. I would have voted for Nikki Halley or Ron DeSantis or really any reasonable republican instead of the horrible choice we are left with. But it is what it is.

While I don't agree with much of the green new deal stuff.....you and Trump have a very short term view on energy policy.....what is good for us/me right now. I have a longer term view.....what is going to best for my children. The short term view hurts us in the long run.
I dont think I have a short term view on energy. I started as a nuclear power plant operator in the Navy, and transitioned to system control for the bulk power system ( "electrical grid" ). The "renewable / green" energy sources simply do not have the capability to meet demand. This is not an issue where the technology will overcome these shortfalls, its the energy source itself ( wind / solar ). Its like trying to fill a one gallon jug with orange juice with only three oranges. It doesn t matter how good and efficient they can make the juicer, there just isnt enough there. Same with the renewables...it doesnt matter how efficient the solar panel or turbine becomes, there just isnt enough energy there to convert. There are some applications for single home installations that may make sense for certain people, but this idea that we can run the electrical grid on them is pure fantasy. Going with these renewables will only make our electrical system less reliable, more expensive and will cause extreme poverty and starvation in developing parts of the world. The worst part is that people want to do this stuff based on hysteria. There is no climate disaster coming. The reason I know this is because the people who are the most alarmist also own beach front property. Banks loan money on beachfront property. Insurance companies will insure beach front property. It is all hysteria. Total nonsense. We need to use cheap, abundant, and efficient fossil fuels.

I dont think I have a short term view on energy. I started as a nuclear power plant operator in the Navy, and transitioned to system control for the bulk power system ( "electrical grid" ). The "renewable / green" energy sources simply do not have the capability to meet demand. This is not an issue where the technology will overcome these shortfalls, its the energy source itself ( wind / solar ). Its like trying to fill a one gallon jug with orange juice with only three oranges. It doesn t matter how good and efficient they can make the juicer, there just isnt enough there. Same with the renewables...it doesnt matter how efficient the solar panel or turbine becomes, there just isnt enough energy there to convert. There are some applications for single home installations that may make sense for certain people, but this idea that we can run the electrical grid on them is pure fantasy. Going with these renewables will only make our electrical system less reliable, more expensive and will cause extreme poverty and starvation in developing parts of the world. The worst part is that people want to do this stuff based on hysteria. There is no climate disaster coming. The reason I know this is because the people who are the most alarmist also own beach front property. Banks loan money on beachfront property. Insurance companies will insure beach front property. It is all hysteria. Total nonsense. We need to use cheap, abundant, and efficient fossil fuels.
This is probably, at least in my opinion, your best post I've read.
I agree 100 w/you on all counts.
What's sad is the people pushing for these renewables to power the electrical grid know damn well they aren't reliable or strong enough to do so.
Just like the climate calamatists, it is nothing more than a way to extort money from the people that have bought their schtick, hook line and sinker.

It may not mean much to you but I just want to say ..........

full-metal.gif

It's called societal incrementalism. Give the pervs an inch, they'll take a mile.

Exactly. The time for the line in the sand was long ago. The moderate Rino class has already shown how dangerous they are to the Republic. Thankfully, many are revealing to everyone just how damaging they can be (purposefully) as they retire from congress.

There is no more room for erosion/compromise of morality. It will finish off the Republic.

Was listening to Stephen A on PBD and he laughed and basically called the “rural white woman voting on abortion” nonsense in the current environment.

I will try to find the full clip, but here is part of it.

@Illegal-shift @grandhavendiddy @kalimgoodman

Could all learn a thing or two from it.

Last edited:
Here is the clip where Stephen A addresses “the white woman” vote. First two minutes. I don’t agree with everything he says, and he admits he has alot to learn about
Politics, but the more he is learning…the more right he is moving.

The left is overplaying their hand.

@grandhavendiddy

Last edited:
Well, you took this in a different direction than what I was referring to. I agree with some of this and disagree with parts, and will address that in a separate post if you like.....but let me get back to what I really meant by short term thinking.

First let me ask you a few questions so I don't make assumptions about your positions. 1) do you believe it is in America's best interest to become energy independent as soon as possible? 2) Do you believe the US should be pumping as much domestic oil (or fracking or whatever means) as it can right now? 3) Do you believe we should be doing everything necessary to drive the price of oil down as much as possible? 4) Do you believe we should be spending a decent amount of money on development of alternative fuel sources currently?

Appreciate the kind words @kalimgoodman.

I completely agree with the need to have open, rationale dialogue and then try to get to a better combined position.
And yet you immediately get responses that disagree with this simple and logical position, SMDH.

People who are done compromising are done living with other human beings.

And yet you immediately get responses that disagree with this simple and logical position, SMDH.

Nope. The left hasn’t compromised in years. Period. Nice try though.

Funny story. The left wants to censor and imprison political opponents and the “moderates” want to compromise with those folks.

Sarcasticok dot gif.

Reactions: NavigatorII
Nope. The left hasn’t compromised in years. Period. Nice try though.

Funny story. The left wants to censor and imprison political opponents and the “moderates” want to compromise with those folks.

Sarcasticok dot gif.
Notice the freak-out at MS DNC when mgmt dared to hire Ronna McDaniel and the hired help went ballastic and mgmt caved like a whipped puppy and said how sorry they were.

Notice the freak-out at MS DNC when mgmt dared to hire Ronna McDaniel and the hired help went ballastic and mgmt caved like a whipped puppy and said how sorry they were.

Exactly. The moderates always want to move left with nothing given in return. The word compromise is a fallacy.

You don’t compromise with authoritarians.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatman76
Well, you took this in a different direction than what I was referring to. I agree with some of this and disagree with parts, and will address that in a separate post if you like.....but let me get back to what I really meant by short term thinking.

First let me ask you a few questions so I don't make assumptions about your positions. 1) do you believe it is in America's best interest to become energy independent as soon as possible? 2) Do you believe the US should be pumping as much domestic oil (or fracking or whatever means) as it can right now? 3) Do you believe we should be doing everything necessary to drive the price of oil down as much as possible? 4) Do you believe we should be spending a decent amount of money on development of alternative fuel sources currently?
1) yes to energy independence. 2) yes. Drill baby drill ( or frack ) 3) yes. We should be driving oil prices down. 4). I’m not sure what you mean by alternative fuel sources. I believe we should be cutting red tape to spur the building of new nuclear power plants. The current problem with nuclear is the start up cost. We need to get those costs down and build new nukes. I don’t think we ought to spend ANY public money on wind or solar. We also need to stop with the forcing the EVs by 2035 as well. They should let the EVs grow naturally over time. The electric distribution system is not built to charge everyone’s vehicles. Most do not grasp the major upgrades (new substations / new power lines / upgrades conductors ) that would be required to get this online. They are going to outpace the systems ability to carry this load, not necessarily in terms of power supply ( assuming we are still burning fossils ) but rather the ability to deliver the juice to charging stations and homes without burning the lines down.

Done living with the people who steal elections, refuse to follow the Constitution, use the DOJ for political gain, use their Stasi to eliminate political opponents, and RUIN the Greatest Country on the planet because of their woke, unAmerican views, and because of their stupid policies, are responsible for the world being on fire. I compromised for 50 years when they were not as crooked. I AM DONE, and understand the left IS America's #1 enemy, and need to be defeated. I just say what others believe, and are afraid to say. I AIN"T Skeeered.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellCasse
Done living with the people who steal elections, refuse to follow the Constitution, use the DOJ for political gain, use their Stasi to eliminate political opponents, and RUIN the Greatest Country on the planet because of their woke, unAmerican views, and because of their stupid policies, are responsible for the world being on fire. I compromised for 50 years when they were not as crooked. I AM DONE, and understand the left IS America's #1 enemy, and need to be defeated. I just say what others believe, and are afraid to say. I AIN"T Skeeered.

You nailed it.

You don’t cut deals (compromise) with the devil. It’s as simple as that.

You are being replaced.

What American that wants a job doesn’t have one? You people are so beyond stupid it’s hilarious. We are already employing more people that are unemployable by any measure prior to the last few years. Try running a business and hiring somebody you clown.

What American that wants a job doesn’t have one? You people are so beyond stupid it’s hilarious. We are already employing more people that are unemployable by any measure prior to the last few years. Try running a business and hiring somebody you clown.
Can you PLEASE go read post # 156 and get back with the rest of us? Secondly...have you EVER been RIGHT about ANYTING in your life? Because you have NEVER posted anything here that has been.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT