ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

He has been excellent playing against Sun Belt level competition. But we have no idea how he will perform in the SEC. I understand the need to bring in a portal QB to compete with Miller, Brown & Rashada, but I'm skeptical until he wins the job and proves it against the big boys.
He can play. He’s much better than Miller and he would be the starter. He’s a much better passer than AR as well. Montrell Johnson and Torrance were 2 of our best players and they came from that conference as well.

I have no idea how good of a chance we would have of landing him, etc but IMO he’s been the best QB to hit the portal so far. He’s going to be pretty heavily recruited out of the portal. I’d take him over Leary to be honest

Grayson McCall is really good. No idea if he comes to UF or not but he’s going to be a highly coveted player in the portal. In 3 years as a starter he’s thrown over 70 TDs and only 7 interceptions. Also has over a 70% completion percentage.
Paco,

His athletic ability looks good against his current level of competition.

Without question, he would be a better QB1 than Miller or anybody else on our roster.

BUT

If, as was reported (not necessarily accurately), his academics aren't good enough for Auburn (Some of the Books weren't even colored ? LOL) what chance does he have for admission to UF ?

2nd party - 247 states -"...The reason behind McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) is unknown.

Hugh Freeze a risk taker; may have changed some after the NCAA Slap Down, but he needs a QB1 who can compete in the SEC.

Something about McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) puzzles me.

Paco,

His athletic ability looks good against his current level of competition.

Without question, he would be a better QB1 than Miller or anybody else on our roster.

BUT

If, as was reported (not necessarily accurately), his academics aren't good enough for Auburn (Some of the Books weren't even colored ? LOL) what chance does he have for admission to UF ?

2nd party - 247 states -"...The reason behind McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) is unknown.

Hugh Freeze a risk taker; may have changed some after the NCAA Slap Down, but he needs a QB1 who can compete in the SEC.

Something about McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) puzzles me.
His grades are good and his academics are fine. Auburn doesn’t offer his major. He needs to find a school that offers the same major.

His grades are good and his academics are fine. Auburn doesn’t offer his major. He needs to find a school that offers the same major.
Paco,

Many Thanks !

When I saw this quote -
247 states -"...The reason behind McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) is unknown."

I began to question the Academic Non-Qualify from Auburn Live.

Again, I agree with you that he would be better than any QB currently on our roster & with his experience, better than Rashada as a True Fresh.

Question - as you pointed out - is can we entice him into being a Gator ?

Paco,

Many Thanks !

When I saw this quote -
247 states -"...The reason behind McCall's cancellation (Auburn OV) is unknown."

I began to question the Academic Non-Qualify from Auburn Live.

Again, I agree with you that he would be better than any QB currently on our roster & with his experience, better than Rashada as a True Fresh.

Question - as you pointed out - is can we entice him into being a Gator ?
He’s going to be and already is being heavily coveted. I’m assume it’s going to take a pretty good NIL deal.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I guess it could be argued that he (McCall) won't be in a good position here compared to some of the SEC which will surely affect his numbers.
Fever,

Why would you say that ?

Could it be our 6-7 record & getting our Ass Beat 30-3 in the L V Bowl ?

BUT

Remember we can probably sign 30 - 35 players this year to get back to the 85 man cap.

Only question is whether or not we can find that many SEC Quality players - who want to be Gators !

AKA - does the Gator Collective have the NIL$$$ for McCall & others ?

Fever,

Why would you say that ?

Could it be our 6-7 record & getting our Ass Beat 30-3 in the L V Bowl ?

BUT

Remember we can probably sign 30 - 35 players this year to get back to the 85 man cap.

Only question is whether or not we can find that many SEC Quality players - who want to be Gators !

AKA - does the Gator Collective have the NIL$$$ for McCall & others ?

I don't buy into that number of players depth mess as much as some do as far as our season went. We do lack top SEC talent though. Most of those players leaving to the portal weren't starter material here or even real good depth. How many players actually get on the field for a team in a usual game (not counting ST)? Its less than we have right now I am sure.

Pearsall ?

Has anyone heard / read anything about him ?
Just that he's considering opting for the NFL draft. A 11/22/22 NFL draft profile rates as the #19 WR in the 2023 draft. Not sure what round that puts him in, but not an early one.

As clueless as usual.... 🙄
Man I wish you had a sense of humor about some stuff but your so butt hurt over Maxine I get it. Elksnis never saw the field and when he did he was hurt. Elksnis played through the first five weeks of Florida’s season, mostly in a special teams role. He got some work in at tight end in the win over Eastern Washington, but that was his final appearance of the season. He then was added to the injury list for the rest of the year and was seen in a sling.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I wonder what they gave him.
More than us. But we arent closing the gap in the SEC under the current circumstances. We are recruiting good but not elite. You want to win the SEC you have to recruit elite. I don’t blame Napier. He’s a very good recruiter but he’s bringing a knife to a gun fight. Stricklin is the #1 problem at UF IMO.

More than us. But we arent closing the gap in the SEC under the current circumstances. We are recruiting good but not elite. You want to win the SEC you have to recruit elite. I don’t blame Napier. He’s a very good recruiter but he’s bringing a knife to a gun fight. Stricklin is the #1 problem at UF IMO.

Is he affecting the big boosters approach to NIL with these recruits?

We are closing the recruiting season terribly. Juts look at all the guys were thought we were getting and none of them are coming to Gainesville except the solid commits we got early. Not a good sign for the future, IMO. I've said this in other posts but Florida is behind the curve in adapting to NIL and getting top tier players in the portal.

We are closing the recruiting season terribly. Juts look at all the guys were thought we were getting and none of them are coming to Gainesville except the solid commits we got early. Not a good sign for the future, IMO. I've said this in other posts but Florida is behind the curve in adapting to NIL and getting top tier players in the portal.
Bit of a bummer for sure. Too much negative mojo in the program right now. I'm sure Napier is working hard, but coming up big fat goose eggs so far. I hate this NIL crap.

We just don't have as motivated money people like some other SEC schools and its hurting us. I admit I know nothing about this Wisconsin QB but other SEC schools are laughing at this being our portal QB. I do want to look at his actual game film though before making a 100% judgment on his ability. Michigan isn't playing the high school NIL game like some schools kind of like us but they are at least willing to spend in the portal with good proven players.

If he isn't much better than Miller though then we need to just throw a freshman in there for the experience as the record will probably still be about 7-5.

We just don't have as motivated money people like some other SEC schools and its hurting us. I admit I know nothing about this Wisconsin QB but other SEC schools are laughing at this being our portal QB. I do want to look at his actual game film though before making a 100% judgment on his ability. Michigan isn't playing the high school NIL game like some schools kind of like us but they are at least willing to spend in the portal with good proven players.

If he isn't much better than Miller though then we need to just throw a freshman in there for the experience as the record will probably still be about 7-5.

I was surprised you guys took him, Rashada it is

Reactions: TEBOW TIME

Wisconsin transfer QB Graham Mertz commits to Florida​

https://247sports.com/college/flori...consin-Badgers-Gators-Billy-Napier-201020835/

Graham Mertz, the former Wisconsin quarterback who announced his intention Dec. 4 to enter the NCAA's transfer portal, will commit to the Gators, according to a tweet from The Athletic's G. Allan Taylor.

Mertz , class of 2019, was a high 4* QB (Rivals - 6.0, 247 - .9689) in HS in Overland Park, Kansas.

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, ranked Mertz as the Nation's No. 65 overall prospect in the 2019 recruiting class.

He'll arrive at Florida in January with two seasons of collegiate eligibility remaining. Mertz accrued 5,405 passing yards with 38 touchdowns and 26 interceptions across four seasons with the Badgers.

2022 stats
CMP 164 of 286 (57.3 %) 2136 YDS, 19 TDs, 10 INTs

2022 stats - Anthony Richardson
CMP 176 of 327 (53.8 %) 2549 YDS, 17TDs, 9 INTs

He started in 32 of the 34 games in which he appeared. Mertz took an unofficial visit to Gainesville during the final weekend Florida's coaching staff could visit with recruits and prospective transfers, from Dec. 9-10.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/graham-mertz-1.html

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: gatordad3

He's basically AR but can't run.

He's basically AR but can't run.
Dad,

Pretty Accurate comparison -

2022 stats - Graham Mertz

Mertz's career completion % was only 59.5.

Mertz hopefully better than Miller; seems to be more of a placeholder at QB.

By midway through his first season, Rashada may beat him out & become Gators' QB1 - if so; problem solved. If not, he will have a line in the sand to shoot for.

Last edited:
Dad,

Pretty Accurate comparison -

2022 stats - Graham Mertz

Mertz's career completion % was only 59.5.

Mertz hopefully better than Miller; seems to be more of a placeholder at QB.

By midway through his first season, Rashada may beat him out & become Gators' QB1 - if so; problem solved. If not, he will have a line in the sand to shoot for.

Watched some of his highlights which only show the good stuff and based on that I would say he is better than Miller for sure but that isn't saying much. Wisconsin fans say he lets pressure rattle him too much but that he was limited by not having too many playmakers around him and a shaky O line.

Updates of UF's QB Room

Mertz definitely not a Heisman Candidate but definitely more experienced than Miller & hopefully a better overall QB.

Plus, it looks like he will enroll at UF in January, in time for Spring Practice.

Rashada, hopefully an Early Entry in time for Spring Practice as well.

UF walk-on quarterback Jack Anders, who traveled with the Gators to Las Vegas, also announced his intention to enter the NCAA's transfer portal, while fellow walk-on Kyle Engel's future with the program is uncertain moving forward after Engel earned second-string reps during preseason camp and may have an opportunity to compete elsewhere if a scholarship offer were to present itself. Engel, who served as quarterback Jack Miller III's back-up in the 30-3 loss to Oregon State, recently graduated from UF after four years in Gainesville.

Outside of the walk-ons, the Gators have just a pair of scholarship quarterbacks on the roster in Miller and freshman Max Brown, though Florida signed highly touted signal-caller Jaden Rashada on Wednesday and recently landed a commitment from DJ Lagway, ranked a five-star prospect and the No. 4 quarterback in the 247Sports Composite.

Reactions: Gator Fever
JMO,but I think this is a dumb move on several levels.Rashada lives in Cali.and may be just getting out of bed.Who knows how he may react to this news?He'a an 18 year old and that alone makes it scary.What if he decides to not sign an LOI today?Maybe he will say he will wait until NSD in February to make his commitment.He is, ( as far as I can tell ) not obligated to sign anything today,and can still decide to go somewhere else. It's,again in my opinion a dumb unnecessary to do hours before ESD.

Updates of UF's QB Room

Mertz definitely not a Heisman Candidate but definitely more experienced than Miller & hopefully a better overall QB.

Plus, it looks like he will enroll at UF in January, in time for Spring Practice.

Rashada, hopefully an Early Entry in time for Spring Practice as well.

UF walk-on quarterback Jack Anders, who traveled with the Gators to Las Vegas, also announced his intention to enter the NCAA's transfer portal, while fellow walk-on Kyle Engel's future with the program is uncertain moving forward after Engel earned second-string reps during preseason camp and may have an opportunity to compete elsewhere if a scholarship offer were to present itself. Engel, who served as quarterback Jack Miller III's back-up in the 30-3 loss to Oregon State, recently graduated from UF after four years in Gainesville.

Outside of the walk-ons, the Gators have just a pair of scholarship quarterbacks on the roster in Miller and freshman Max Brown, though Florida signed highly touted signal-caller Jaden Rashada on Wednesday and recently landed a commitment from DJ Lagway, ranked a five-star prospect and the No. 4 quarterback in the 247Sports Composite.

Who in the heck is Jack Anders? Never knew we had a QB with that name on the roster. I guess @instaGATOR will be happy that Brown did actually move ahead of one of the QBs on the roster this season. Just kidding with Insta but Brown has his opportunity to show what he has this spring with the QB situation we are in now.

Wisconsin fans say he (mertz) lets pressure rattle him too much but that he was limited by not having too many playmakers around him and a shaky O line.
Fever,

Sounds familiar, doesn't it ?

Started to go into details about our pathetic offense, but we have rehashed it enough.

Well, Napier has something to work on.

Hopefully "Mertz will see the opportunity" and Billy & his staff will "Learn from these experiences.”

Last edited:
Fever,

Sounds familiar, doesn't it ?

Started to go into details about our pathetic offense, but we have rehashed it enough.

Well, Napier has something to work on.

Hopefully "Mertz will see the opportunity" and Billy & his staff will "Learn from these experiences.”

I think the scariest thing of all for the 2023 season would be if Miller beat out Mertz for the starting job. I think that would mean we have no non-freshman on the roster that can play QB at even the minimum level needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT