ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

I'm not going to sugar coat it - this sucks and gives me the first hesitation with Napier as coach if the class finishes at the level it's at.

I've liked everything Nap has done so far and I think the blueprint is there - but you have to execute as well.

At this recruiting level we're in that 3rd tier which isn't going to make it for any UF coach imo. We needed Cormani and another 1-2 top guys to have an elite class so there's work to do. I'll wait until Feb signing as we do need a few more recruiting data points but it's concerning if Cormani sticks with UM.

I'm not going to sugar coat it - this sucks and gives me the first hesitation with Napier as coach if the class finishes at the level it's at.

I've liked everything Nap has done so far and I think the blueprint is there - but you have to execute as well.

At this recruiting level we're in that 3rd tier which isn't going to make it for any UF coach imo. We needed Cormani and another 1-2 top guys to have an elite class so there's work to do. I'll wait until Feb signing as we do need a few more recruiting data points but it's concerning if Cormani sticks with UM.

Unless the NIL straight from high school slows down it's about the best he can do I would say. I bet Mullen would have been in the 20s this season with the same NIL scenario. It does suck watching so many of FLs top rated players going elsewhere though. I think Napier probably will hit on a lot more gems than Mullen did.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Oh yeah - 100% agreed. Nap just needs to figure how how to work the NIL stuff but he better do it quick. The bump class is a real indicator of long term success.

I think right now our selling point is showing them the NIL deals you can get once you are playing through the collective and other ways. A&M and to a lesser extent other schools are outright buying unproven high school players. We will have to see if they back off some next season with many not panning out possibly. I see A&M is getting the very top players again just fewer this year after their big haul this past class and we know OSU, Bama, TX and Georgia will always have boosters willing to buy some players. Hopefully we at least buy some real good positional players of need in the portal this year - like a DT and a good WR that can stretch a defense with his speed.

I think right now our selling point is showing them the NIL deals you can get once you are playing through the collective and other ways. A&M and to a lesser extent other schools are outright buying unproven high school players. We will have to see if they back off some next season with many not panning out possibly. I see A&M is getting the very top players again just fewer this year after their big haul this past class and we know OSU, Bama, TX and Georgia will always have boosters willing to buy some players. Hopefully we at least buy some real good positional players of need in the portal this year - like a DT and a good WR that can stretch a defense with his speed.
That's the angle we've got to push to get there. Sign a top 7-8 class without cheating lol, then pick up 4-5 difference makers that don't like what they were sold elsewhere. Spring transfers and this bump class will tell the story for |Napier imo.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Recruiting is going good but it’s not going to be a great class. It will be a good class with lots of blue chip players and the roster will be upgraded. We have a good NIL but not a great NIL. We are kind of in that 2nd tier of schools at the moment. Unfortunately like 4-5 SEC schools are in that 1st tier which is our direct competition.

2024 safety Jaylen Heyward - UF in Top 6

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/jaylen-heyward-265483

Rockledge (Fla.) High 2024 safety Jaylen Heyward named Florida among his top six schools on Friday, cutting his list of 12 programs in half with over a year to go until he is required to make his college decision if he does not do so sooner.

Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan and Alabama can also be found in Heyward's top six.

Heyward is the high school teammate of Gators' 2023 offensive tackle Bryce Lovett.

Napier continues to focus on instate talent !

Florida Football: Highest bidder wins​

We highlighted earlier this week that Florida football was about to have a top-five class and didn’t need the money from Miami Hurricanes mega booster John Ruiz to do it.

We might have jumped the gun a little bit on that one.

Much like missing out on Jaden Rashada, if you believe the rumblings the Gators missed out on McClain, not because of anything Napier and crew did wrong. They missed out because Ruiz simply bid more money.

We have said this multiple times, college athletes deserve the right to get paid and if Miami put up a number that McClain couldn’t refuse then the frustration shouldn’t lie with McClain.

We have also said that there is danger in putting a team together who are only at your school because of money (see Texas A&M and Miami).

Players for the Gators are getting paid, don’t get it twisted. Anthony Richardson has a deal with Fanatics. Justin Shorter just signed a deal with Outback Steakhouse. The entire offensive line has a deal with Sonny’s BBQ.

But Florida hasn’t been willing to write the blank check needed to secure the top-tier recruits as others have. That doesn’t mean Florida will end the 2023 recruiting cycle with a weak class. Even with the whiff on McClain, Florida football is still sitting in 9th and is still in the running for several others.

And if Billy Napier can keep building team culture and tighten up his defensive schemes, Florida is going to be just fine with the guys he’s getting going forward.

Can we trade Cormani McClain for John Walker ?

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/10/28/florida-football-whiff-cormani-mcclain/

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick

Florida Football: Highest bidder wins​

We highlighted earlier this week that Florida football was about to have a top-five class and didn’t need the money from Miami Hurricanes mega booster John Ruiz to do it.

We might have jumped the gun a little bit on that one.

Much like missing out on Jaden Rashada, if you believe the rumblings the Gators missed out on McClain, not because of anything Napier and crew did wrong. They missed out because Ruiz simply bid more money.

We have said this multiple times, college athletes deserve the right to get paid and if Miami put up a number that McClain couldn’t refuse then the frustration shouldn’t lie with McClain.

We have also said that there is danger in putting a team together who are only at your school because of money (see Texas A&M and Miami).

Players for the Gators are getting paid, don’t get it twisted. Anthony Richardson has a deal with Fanatics. Justin Shorter just signed a deal with Outback Steakhouse. The entire offensive line has a deal with Sonny’s BBQ.

But Florida hasn’t been willing to write the blank check needed to secure the top-tier recruits as others have. That doesn’t mean Florida will end the 2023 recruiting cycle with a weak class. Even with the whiff on McClain, Florida football is still sitting in 9th and is still in the running for several others.

And if Billy Napier can keep building team culture and tighten up his defensive schemes, Florida is going to be just fine with the guys he’s getting going forward.

Can we trade Cormani McClain for John Walker ?

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/10/28/florida-football-whiff-cormani-mcclain/

The truth is A&M will start being a test case in 2023 for buying unproven high school players. You can't judge that at all until they are at least 2nd year players so Miami it won't be until 2024 we see how it is starting out. Texas next season is another test case with this.

The truth is A&M will start being a test case in 2023 for buying unproven high school players. You can't judge that at all until they are at least 2nd year players so Miami it won't be until 2024 we see how it is starting out. Texas next season is another test case with this.
A&M may already be imploding if the rumors are true.

Reactions: Gator Fever

Billy Napier is having guys commit that want to be Gators​

A good read

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/08/01/napier-commit-want-florida/

You may have read the headline “Billy Napier is having guys commit that want to be Gators” and thought to yourself “What kind of clickbait garbage is this? Of course guys committing to Florida want to be Gators.”

Well yes, but actually no.

Florida found itself more often than before as one of the hats on the table of top recruits, but weren’t getting its hat chosen.

Recruit after recruit would talk about how they really loved the relationship Napier had formed with them, but if we read between the lines those recruits went elsewhere because they were offered more NIL money than what Florida offered.

Now that Florida is on roll with recruiting, it’s clear Napier is signing guys that are coming to Gainesville for reasons beyond Florida being the highest bidder.

Can't blame players jumping for NIL $$$- I would do the same !

Reactions: gatordad3
Agree, OSU, Bama, UGa and Texas will always have boosters willing to buy players, but if they are forced to spend three times as much money to get half as many players, I can live with that.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Scoop: Five-star cornerback Desmond Ricks locks in Gators official visit​

Desmond Ricks, who recently reclassified and is now the No. 2-ranked cornerback, has scheduled his official visit to the University of Florida. That multi-day visit in Gainesville is scheduled for Dec. 2, his mother told Gators Online on Sunday afternoon.

The IMG Academy star was a five-star prospect and the No. 1-ranked cornerback in the 2024 class, and now, he is the second-ranked cornerback behind McClain and remains a five-star prospect despite moving up a class. He is also the No. 23 prospect overall in the 2023 On300.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...desmond-ricks-locks-in-gators-official-visit/

Scoop: Five-star cornerback Desmond Ricks locks in Gators official visit​

Desmond Ricks, who recently reclassified and is now the No. 2-ranked cornerback, has scheduled his official visit to the University of Florida. That multi-day visit in Gainesville is scheduled for Dec. 2, his mother told Gators Online on Sunday afternoon.

The IMG Academy star was a five-star prospect and the No. 1-ranked cornerback in the 2024 class, and now, he is the second-ranked cornerback behind McClain and remains a five-star prospect despite moving up a class. He is also the No. 23 prospect overall in the 2023 On300.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...desmond-ricks-locks-in-gators-official-visit/
Ruiz will get him too

Reactions: NotBillysBurner
Wonder why Ruiz waits until after the UF official visit to bring out his bucks ?

Do we quote realworld NIL $$$ & tell them how the system works & then all Ruiz has to do is go 30% higher to make a sale ?

Wonder if Ruiz has a source on Billy's staff to tell him our top dollar amount beforehand ?

Little difference between NIL & an old fashion bribe; money is money !

Wonder why Ruiz waits until after the UF official visit to bring out his bucks ?

Do we quote realworld NIL $$$ & tell them how the system works & then all Ruiz has to do is go 30% higher to make a sale ?

Wonder if Ruiz has a source on Billy's staff to tell him our top dollar amount beforehand ?

Little difference between NIL & an old fashion bribe; money is money !
Ruiz might have the same thinking that Scared Money Dont Make Money cause he is shelling it out.

Decision Day: 4-star DT Kayden McDonald to reveal decision on Halloween​

IMO, down to 3 teams - Ohio State, Clemson, & Florida.

EDIT
Probably down to two teams - tOSU & Clemson.

McDonald, a master of recruitspeak, speaks positively about whatever campus he is visiting; but after Ryan Day made a recent in school visit Kayden seemed to respond to that strongly.

The recruiting finish line is in sight for Kayden McDonald, as the Suwanee (Ga.) North Gwinnett senior is revealing his decision later today. An announcement is expected to take place at roughly 6:00 p.m. EST.

A priority Gators target at defensive tackle, the 6-foot-2, 325-pound McDonald will be choosing from Florida, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma. Dabo Swinney and the Tigers, according to On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, are trending with odds of 56.4 percent, while the Buckeyes check in at No. 2 with a percentage of 34 percent. Each finalist has received at least two visits from McDonald.

As for the Gators, they have received four visits in 2022 alone, including an official over the summer. The blue-chip defender was also in attendance for UF’s homecoming game vs. Missouri earlier this month.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...den-mcdonald-to-reveal-decision-on-halloween/

Last edited:
Don't think we get him. Hall from Westside High is headed to Georgia. Kirby rolling in on the helicopter seemed to seal the deal.

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Don't think we get him. Hall from Westside High is headed to Georgia. Kirby rolling in on the helicopter seemed to seal the deal.
Country,

Agree; IMO Ohio State will get the call.

A good player; also played RB in goal line & short yardage - 6 TDs.
LOL - a load to try to stop !

John Walker may join us; if so we are good.

So far I have not seen a commitment announcement for Kayden McDonald.

I am too poor to join any of the premium sites which may have posted this info.

EDIT
Don't see him as a Gator; tOSU or Clemson my guess.

Perhaps he is deep into negotations with Ruiz of Miami !

A good player; where ever he ends up.

Last edited:
So far I have not seen a commitment announcement for Kayden McDonald.

I am too poor to join any of the premium sites which may have posted this info.

EDIT
Don't see him as a Gator; tOSU or Clemson my guess.

Perhaps he is deep into negotations with Ruiz of Miami !

A good player; where ever he ends up.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Tebow,

Thanks for the info !

Knew he wasn't going to be a Gator.

Clemson had all the Crystal Ball predictions, but after reading his thoughts on what it meant to him to have Ryan Day fly down to vist him at his school, I felt that tOSU was were he would end up.

Sadly, I was right.

Hoping DT John Walker decides to join us !

EDIT

John Walker Gator OV - Dec 9th

"...According to a report from Swamp247’s Blake Alderman, Walker has locked in an official visit with the Gators for Dec. 9. Florida’s regular season will be over by then, but it’s still a chance for Walker to get an official visit in before the early signing period officially kicks off. That means that a flip from UCF to UF is still very much in play."
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/31/florida-football-recruiting-john-walker-official-visit/

IF Walker takes the OV; flip possible; but nothing in recruiting is guaranteed !

We need another great DT !

Last edited:
He’s a DB at the college level.
Paco,

why wouldn't Napier give Jackson a shot at WR first; we need help there as well.

Realize that 1 highlite play doesn't tell us everything about his skills as a WR - BUT
he did create separation from McClain, make the catch, & outrun him to the endzone.

Always wondered how McClain @ 165 lbs would do at stopping a 200 lb SEC RB !

Guess Ruiz & Canes will get to find out; Gators start a home & home series with canes shortly.

Also a mild chance the two of them could match up in the gator Bowl; Gators need to get bowl eligable 1st, of course.

Last edited:
Read on another board that WR Andy Jean from Miami Northwestern may flip to Miami. Just passing along what I read.

Read on another board that WR Andy Jean from Miami Northwestern may flip to Miami. Just passing along what I read.
Ocala,

Some recruits flip away from us; some flip to us - Walker we hope !

As we all know, until they sign Letter of Intent; they are fair game.

Maybe we will be lucky & Ruiz will get tired of pissing money away on untested recruits & Cristobal as a game day coach.

Ocala,

Some recruits flip away from us; some flip to us - Walker we hope !

As we all know, until they sign Letter of Intent; they are fair game.

Maybe we will be lucky & Ruiz will get tired of pissing money away on untested recruits & Cristobal as a game day coach.
I don’t know Jeff. Right now I’m enjoying him pissing away money.

Who is on the DT board beyond James Smith, John Walker and Jordan Hall?

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/elijah-davis-285230

Andrew Spivey: Florida will still recruit defensive tackle Kayden McDonald who committed to Ohio State and they’re also after JUCO tackle Elijah Davis as they would love to add some experience up-front. The staff would fill their needs fi they land just one of those guys but they would like to add two of those guys.

Are Russaw and Smith a package deal and are we in the hunt for either or both of them.

AS:
Yes, Qua Russaw and James Smith are a package deal and Florida is in the race but trailing Alabama right now. Florida and Georgia are also really in the mix here and both guys aren’t close to making a decision.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-mailbag-november-3rd-edition-3/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT