ADVERTISEMENT

FSU @ Florida...

Max Brown seems like a good kid with some talent. But even a DT QB (6 sacks) won't make a difference with an offensive line as bad as ours. Graham Mertz improved so much over how he played at Wisconsin, there's no doubt he had an incredible year in spite of playing in front of the worst line in Gainesville in several decades.

Last edited:
Max Brown seems like a good kid with some talent. But even a DT QB (6 sacks) won't make a difference with an offensive line as bad as our. Graham Mertz improved so much over how he played at Wisconsin, there's no doubt he had an incredible year in spite of playing in front of the worst line in Gainesville in several decades.

Yea, the Gators o line is horrendous. Our d line lived in the backfield.

If the oline is so bad why not have a rb chip release like LSU did a lot in 2019? Max protect and throw to pearsal or Wilson deep. I think these coaches are so entrenched in the football offices and practice field that they never see things any other way.

If the oline is so bad why not have a rb chip release like LSU did a lot in 2019? Max protect and throw to pearsal or Wilson deep. I think these coaches are so entrenched in the football offices and practice field that they never see things any other way.
Steve Spurrier had a reputation for being able to adapt teams, players and situations game by game, even play by play. He sometimes even made up plays on the spur of the moment to take advantage of a certain situation he saw. Analytics is so much entrenched in the game today that coaches just seem to follow the computerized game plan, thinking the odds will eventually work out in their favor. Garbage, IMO. Human factors are the most critical components where buy-in commitment, perseverance, a will to succeed, adaptability, etc. ultimately determine the best teams and separate winners from losers. I don't think our coach gets that and our team is a loser (5-7) as a result.

Spurrier was genius at creating max protection to attack a defense and get ball to receivers. 2001 LSU and Mississippi state come to mind. Two and three receiver routes with 7-8 man protection.

The analytics nonsense drives me crazy. Sometime good old fashioned football common sense is right. Napier going for 2 in the Tennessee game last year way too early in the game had us chasing points the rest of the game. Lost by 5 and should’ve been down by 3.

The word 'squandered' pretty much describes this football season for me...

"Look, we haven't been able to finish. That's the bottom line. I think we're learning how to do that. We've been in position to do that. But ultimately I think, as we build a team that's made up of veterans, it's going to be important that we at some point -- you know, the old adage you fall down seven times, eventually the eighth time you get up and finally get it done. I think at some point this group, the experience they got this year will pay off." -- CBN

So it's good news ahead, by his 8th season here, he will finally be on a winning path....
I mean, just look at HIS progress curve.... 6-7 ----->>> 5-7
And with both Mertz and Miller returning for next season, what could possibly go wrong....

"Scared Money Don't Make Money"

BILLY NAPIER: "I think it's a team that has -- I think that tonight it was a handful of decisions or a handful of execution opportunities, missed plays. It's been a little bit different each week. I think a number of things contribute. But the penalties obviously, those are things that we need to address. There's no excuse for those. I think some of those were technical and some of those were decision-making. So, yeah, I think a lot of things contribute to the result."

So the 'Wack-A-Mole' football system continues unabated....

BILLY NAPIER: I think you've got to remain as objective as possible. I think ultimately -- because, look, I think we work together as a team each day, and I think we do have good morale, chemistry, camaraderie, whatever you want to say. It's one of the reasons why our team plays the way it does.... 6-7 >> 5-7...

He blames this on the youth of the team, so does that mean that they can't expect the incoming HS recruits to be any help without a couple of years of aging, or will the story change and adapt???

The iG had to take a couple of years off from closely following Gator football the last couple of years of Dig Ducky's tenure. Maybe I'll need to do the same again for my own peace of mind, and to rescue my remaining hair....

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...llowing-season-ending-loss-florida-state-2023

PS -- Thank Gawd that the 2023 football season has finally ENDED!

Last edited:
"Look, we haven't been able to finish. That's the bottom line. I think we're learning how to do that. We've been in position to do that. But ultimately I think, as we build a team that's made up of veterans, it's going to be important that we at some point -- you know, the old adage you fall down seven times, eventually the eighth time you get up and finally get it done.
He doesn't even understand the saying.

The point is it's OK to fall 7 times as long as you get up 8.

It's about perseverance, not if you fail enough you eventually get it right.

John 11:35 *smh*

"Look, we haven't been able to finish. That's the bottom line. I think we're learning how to do that. We've been in position to do that. But ultimately I think, as we build a team that's made up of veterans, it's going to be important that we at some point -- you know, the old adage you fall down seven times, eventually the eighth time you get up and finally get it done. I think at some point this group, the experience they got this year will pay off." -- CBN

So it's good news ahead, by his 8th season here, he will finally be on a winning path....
I mean, just look at HIS progress curve.... 6-7 ----->>> 5-7
And with both Mertz and Miller returning for next season, what could possibly go wrong....

"Scared Money Don't Make Money"

BILLY NAPIER: "I think it's a team that has -- I think that tonight it was a handful of decisions or a handful of execution opportunities, missed plays. It's been a little bit different each week. I think a number of things contribute. But the penalties obviously, those are things that we need to address. There's no excuse for those. I think some of those were technical and some of those were decision-making. So, yeah, I think a lot of things contribute to the result."

So the 'Wack-A-Mole' football system continues unabated....

BILLY NAPIER: I think you've got to remain as objective as possible. I think ultimately -- because, look, I think we work together as a team each day, and I think we do have good morale, chemistry, camaraderie, whatever you want to say. It's one of the reasons why our team plays the way it does.... 6-7 >> 5-7...

He blames this on the youth of the team, so does that mean that they can't expect the incoming HS recruits to be any help without a couple of years of aging, or will the story change and adapt???

The iG had to take a couple of years off from closely following Gator football the last couple of years of Dig Ducky's tenure. Maybe I'll need to do the same again for my own peace of mind, and to rescue my remaining hair....

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...llowing-season-ending-loss-florida-state-2023

PS -- Thank Gawd that the 2023 football season has finally ENDED!
Agree - I've gotten steadily more pissimistic (new word - a combination of pissed off and pessimistic!) about the direction of the program each game that was played. It's the same old same old - nothing changes. We should have finished the season 8-4, IMO, and going to a decent bowl.

Florida QB-dt Max Brown and LB Teradja Mitchell discussed UF's 24-15 loss to the Criminoles.

Max, obviously not the result you would want in your first career start. Could you take us through the emotions of the night, not only with the result, but just to get a first career start out of the way.

"Yeah, it was a crazy environment in there. I just want to give credit to my team right there. My defense and the offense, they battled the whole night. They battled. We didn't end how we wanted to, but I really want to give credit to those group of guys that really battled and competed. Yeah, man, I think it just comes down to being able to put points on the board in the red zone in our territory, man. Make it easier on our defense. They played lights out. But I think ultimately putting points on the board will make it easier for our defense for sure."

For the rest of the story, use the link:

Max was put into a NO win situation not being prepared properly by the coaching staff. It didnt matter how long Tim Tebow talked to him before the game. Stage was too big at home with a terrible offensive line playing in front of him.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Max was put into a NO win situation not being prepared properly by the coaching staff. It didnt matter how long Tim Tebow talked to him before the game. Stage was too big at home with a terrible offensive line playing in front of him.
After watching last night it makes what Mertz did this year even more impressive. Max got a full dose of crappy play calling and working behind an offensive line that is one of the worst in the country. Poor kid got sacked 5 or 6 times. Why not more qb runs? More roll him out of the pocket? And once again we call some stupid trick play that zaps all of our momentum. Billy will get one more year, but it will just be another 5 win type season.

Will probably beat Louisville only to get blown out by georgia. I'd rather stay at number five and just go to the orange bowl.

I want us to somehow play washington..... I think we can bully their d line and Benson would give us a chance. Without j trav, we have no shot against Michigan or uga

Reactions: alaskanseminole

The o line was so bad and Billy just said "stand there and try to throw it".... uhhh what.

• Angry
Reactions: instaGATOR
We stopped the shoe throwing though.

PROGRESS!!!!!!!
CBN: Look we can all do a lot better at the end of the day. But I know the kind of kids we got in there. And I just heard them in the locker room and nobody’s talking about throwing shoes or any kind of footwear really. Now when we look back on this game maybe we’ll look at it and say spit in a guys face/don’t spit on a guy… maybe we can improve the decision making there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT