ADVERTISEMENT

Body camera video shows deadly Farmington police shooting at wrong home...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

Way too many of these incidents happening the past few years. They need to charge whoever was in charge there with some type of involuntary manslaughter charge. Zero excuse with a domestic violence call that has you on heightened alert not to make sure you are at the right address before knocking on the door.

Way too many of these incidents happening the past few years. They need to charge whoever was in charge there with some type of involuntary manslaughter charge. Zero excuse with a domestic violence call that has you on heightened alert not to make sure you are at the right address before knocking on the door.
What they need is stricter scrutiny on issuing no knock warrants.

Yep its a messy issue. This was just a domestic call where they went to the wrong house but most are no knock warrants where you get this stuff. I think the courts have ruled (in FL at least) that a domestic call is the only misdemeanor that can be treated like a felony however so lets say there was no answer at the door the cops can forcefully enter unlike other calls which would make someone grab their gun also if they are half asleep and don't know for sure its the cops.

I think no knock warrants should be eliminated and the cops should focus more on picking these people up when they leave their residence so you aren't putting others there at risk.

No knocks used to only be issued when that was the only way to apprehend the subject.

I've had cops come in my yard and almost shoot my dog before. And if you were to run my license right now it comes back as law enforcement blocked. That speaks to me of lack of attention to detail. Even if everyone involved is fired, de certified, imprisoned and the family financially compensated, dead is dead.

No knocks used to only be issued when that was the only way to apprehend the subject.

I've had cops come in my yard and almost shoot my dog before. And if you were to run my license right now it comes back as law enforcement blocked. That speaks to me of lack of attention to detail. Even if everyone involved is fired, de certified, imprisoned and the family financially compensated, dead is dead.

What do you mean there in bold?

Was at a friends years ago and that almost happened with the dog and it was clear his dog was just a barker at that point.

Its crazy but there are some Federal Appeals Court rulings saying if the cop mistakenly did something like this but was in danger himself when he shot the person the county/city is immune from paying on a lawsuit basically if they don't want to. And in reality what has been happening in many of these cases in recent years is if you are white there is a decent chance there will be no big payout while if you are black you are almost a lock for them to voluntarily give you a big payout.

What do you mean there in bold?

Was at a friends years ago and that almost happened with the dog and it was clear his dog was just a barker at that point.

Its crazy but there are some Federal Appeals Court rulings saying if the cop mistakenly did something like this but was in danger himself when he shot the person the county/city is immune from paying on a lawsuit basically if they don't want to. And in reality what has been happening in many of these cases in recent years is if you are white there is a decent chance there will be no big payout while if you are black you are almost a lock for them to voluntarily give you a big payout.
I was in law enforcement. So people can't access your address thru public records, the DMV puts a block on it. Since law enforcement uses the DMV database, they can't access my address either when dispatch runs my license for warrants.

I was in law enforcement. So people can't access your address thru public records, the DMV puts a block on it. Since law enforcement uses the DMV database, they can't access my address either when dispatch runs my license for warrants.

When I did that parole/probation work years ago it still showed the info then on DAVID for the law enforcement that requested a block but it may be different now. Are you saying a cop that pulls you over has to get your info from FCIC/NCIC or something like that if you didnt have your license on you?

When I did that parole/probation work years ago it still showed the info then on DAVID for the law enforcement that requested a block but it may be different now. Are you saying a cop that pulls you over has to get your info from FCIC/NCIC or something like that if you didnt have your license on you?
I have no idea. I haven't been in law enforcement since 2006 but when I got my gold star homeland security vetted drivers license in 2020 the block was still active because the DMV employee asked if I was a LEO.

Reactions: Gator Fever

This one wasn't a no knock warrant. They were responding to a active call for service and went to the wrong address.

According to the article, the address was posted on the home, illuminated and clearly visible. If true, I don't understand how this happens.

I can tell you that these situations are confusing AF if the addresses on homes in a neighborhood are NOT clearly marked...especially during an emergency call for service.

Trailer parks seem to be the worst...incredibly difficult to figure out which residence is which. It's a recipe for disaster.

But if the article is accurate, this is negligent to the point of absurdity.

This one wasn't a no knock warrant. They were responding to a active call for service and went to the wrong address.

According to the article, the address was posted on the home, illuminated and clearly visible. If true, I don't understand how this happens.

I can tell you that these situations are confusing AF if the addresses on homes in a neighborhood are NOT clearly marked...especially during an emergency call for service.

Trailer parks seem to be the worst...incredibly difficult to figure out which residence is which. It's a recipe for disaster.

But if the article is accurate, this is negligent to the point of absurdity.
That was my point, I'm not worried about this, nothing stops this kind of stupidity, and it's rare. But this is one of the few times that a fatality occurred and this wasn't a no knock raid.

I may have took the long way round.

EDIT: I have no idea how y'all deciphered this because I left out a whole thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaFan1137
No knocks are, by nature, supposed to be extremely rare, extremely well planned and a method of last resort in an effort to limit death and destruction when no reasonable alternative can be found.

You would be stunned to learn what all is SUPPOSED to occur before a no-knock is performed...at least in my neck of the woods. I'm not going to get into it but it's exhaustive and I cannot understand how one could ever be performed on the wrong address or even at a home where the subject/material in question isn't located.

I'll go so far as to say that a mistake could NOT occur unless several people purposely falsified their due diligence and straight up lied to the judge.

In most cases, excluding extreme circumstances, no knocks are simply unnecessary. As is the case with most things, like guns for example, we don't need to ban them. We simply need to hold the officials responsible if they abuse the processes or if they execute them negligently.

It's not that hard, it's tedious. Lazy people hate tediousness and attention to detail.

Reactions: EvilWayz
It’s apparently like here in Indiana too. When I was appealing / contesting a rise in my property appraisal / tax assessment, I accessed a local government website that would let you check people’s property and their assessments. There was a local married couple a few blocks away (both cops), and when you clicked on their property it had the basic assessment info but no names and no photo of the house like it did for just about everyone else.

There was a high-profile case here in Evansville about five years ago where the police went to the wrong address on a no-knock warrant, No one was injured thankfully but the police trashed the house and the city had to pay tens of thousands of dollars for the damage to the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT