ADVERTISEMENT

Jayland Walker, a Black man killed by police in Ohio, was shot at least 60 times, bodycam footage shows: 'This is going to be a brutal video'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
https://www.insider.com/jayland-walker-black-man-shot-akron-ohio-police-60-times-2022-7

Jayland Walker, a Black man killed by police in Ohio, was shot at least 60 times, bodycam footage shows: 'This is going to be a brutal video'​

Hannah Getahun
5 hours ago

62c1252a9b16eb0018023ca7

• Jayland Walker, a Black man killed by police in Ohio, was shot 60 times, a lawyer who viewed body camera footage said.
  • Bobby DiCello described the video as "brutal" and an "unbelievable scene."
  • Police in Akron said they shot Walker because his actions caused officers to "perceive he posed a deadly threat."

After a police pursuit over a traffic violation, Jayland Walker was shot 60 times by police in Akron, Ohio, a lawyer who watched body camera footage of the incident on Friday said.

Bobby DiCello, the attorney representing Walker's family, described the video as an "unbelievable scene." He also said the shower of 90 bullets from the officer's guns, which he estimated lasted six seconds, sounded like "a whole brick of fireworks going off."

The body camera footage will be released to the public on Sunday by police.

"This is going to be a brutal video. It's going to stir up some passion. It's going to make people uneasy," he told the Akron Beacon Journal.

The Akron Police Department released a statement Tuesday saying officers tried to pull 25-year-old Walker over for a traffic violation at 12:30 a.m. on June 28. Police said Walker refused to stop and drove off in his vehicle. A chase ensued and officers reported that a gun had gone off in the vehicle. The officers did not clarify how they knew a gunshot had went off.

DiCello said that when an officer reported the gunshot into the police radio "His voice doesn't get excited" and they continue to drive for several minutes.

DiCello also said his team has not been able to gather evidence that Walker pointed his gun at officers or that gunfire escaped his car. DiCello told The New York Times all of Walker's windows were intact after the fatal shooting.

Walker eventually hopped out of the vehicle and fled on foot. Police say that "actions by the suspect caused the officers to perceive he posed a deadly threat to them."

DiCello said that the body camera footage may dispute some of these claims.

"There is no stopping and turning around," DiCello said. "There's no making his hand into the shape of a gun. There's no holding his cellphone. He has nothing in his hands."

DiCello also said an investigation into Walker's death suggests he sustained 60-80 gunshot wounds and that his body was "riddled with bullets."

Officers in Akron were placed on administrative leave following Walker's death, the NYT reported.

Over the past week, residents of Akron have been protesting on behalf of Walker. During a Thursday press conference Walker's family described Jayland as a "sweet young man" and asked for transparency from authorities over the shooting.

"We love Jayland," Lajuana Walker Dawkins, Walker's aunt, said Thursday. "He was my skinny little nephew and we miss him. We just want some answers."

The Akron Police Department and DiCello did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

And what's your point, Commie? If it's that the police were wrong, you've got no beef from pretty much everyone on this site.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
This is indeed a tragedy, and shooting somebody 60 times is overkill (pardon the pun), but this is another example of the consequences of not following police orders.

Sorry to say this but if this was a white guy it wouldn’t be getting near the media coverage.

This is indeed a tragedy, and shooting somebody 60 times is overkill (pardon the pun), but this is another example of the consequences of not following police orders.

Sorry to say this but if this was a white guy it wouldn’t be getting near the media coverage.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Why did we shoot him 60 times? We shot 90 times but only 60 found the mark. We ran out of clips. The department needs to give us more range time.

"A chase ensued and officers reported that a gun had gone off in the vehicle. The officers did not clarify how they knew a gunshot had went off."

Umm...........they have ears? When this many cops are opening fire, doesn't leave much doubt there was a perceived deadly threat. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I have no idea how this unfolded in Akron. But here's how a car chase unfolded in Bibb County, Alabama.

Bibb County Deputy Sheriff Brad Johnson and fellow Deputy Chris Poole were each met with gunfire as they engaged an armed suspect who was driving a stolen vehicle off of Alabama Highway 25 on Golfer’s Trail, in rural Bibb County around 4:00 pm Wednesday.

Deputy Johnson, age 32, was a 7-year veteran of the Bibb County Sheriff’s office. He is survived by his fiancée, two children and his parents.

The man stopped his vehicle during the chase, stepped out and fired multiple times into the Deputies vehicles before they could get out of them. We literally refer to our vehicles as a kill box in such a circumstance.

I'm more interested in why the first shot was fired. Once the shooting begins, it doesn't take long for 90 shots to be fired due to the number of officers that join the chase.

In this case it apparently took 6 seconds.

If the shooting was unjustified, there must be consequences. I'm less concerned that he was shot 60 times and more concerned with why he was shot once.

Reactions: EvilWayz
I am with OP. I think there should be Riots across the country. Riots demanding change of leadership in DC. We need a president that isn’t racist!

Reactions: Capt Ron 1
https://www.insider.com/jayland-walker-black-man-shot-akron-ohio-police-60-times-2022-7

Jayland Walker, a Black man killed by police in Ohio, was shot at least 60 times, bodycam footage shows: 'This is going to be a brutal video'​

Hannah Getahun
5 hours ago

62c1252a9b16eb0018023ca7

• Jayland Walker, a Black man killed by police in Ohio, was shot 60 times, a lawyer who viewed body camera footage said.
  • Bobby DiCello described the video as "brutal" and an "unbelievable scene."
  • Police in Akron said they shot Walker because his actions caused officers to "perceive he posed a deadly threat."

After a police pursuit over a traffic violation, Jayland Walker was shot 60 times by police in Akron, Ohio, a lawyer who watched body camera footage of the incident on Friday said.

Bobby DiCello, the attorney representing Walker's family, described the video as an "unbelievable scene." He also said the shower of 90 bullets from the officer's guns, which he estimated lasted six seconds, sounded like "a whole brick of fireworks going off."

The body camera footage will be released to the public on Sunday by police.

"This is going to be a brutal video. It's going to stir up some passion. It's going to make people uneasy," he told the Akron Beacon Journal.

The Akron Police Department released a statement Tuesday saying officers tried to pull 25-year-old Walker over for a traffic violation at 12:30 a.m. on June 28. Police said Walker refused to stop and drove off in his vehicle. A chase ensued and officers reported that a gun had gone off in the vehicle. The officers did not clarify how they knew a gunshot had went off.

DiCello said that when an officer reported the gunshot into the police radio "His voice doesn't get excited" and they continue to drive for several minutes.

DiCello also said his team has not been able to gather evidence that Walker pointed his gun at officers or that gunfire escaped his car. DiCello told The New York Times all of Walker's windows were intact after the fatal shooting.

Walker eventually hopped out of the vehicle and fled on foot. Police say that "actions by the suspect caused the officers to perceive he posed a deadly threat to them."

DiCello said that the body camera footage may dispute some of these claims.

"There is no stopping and turning around," DiCello said. "There's no making his hand into the shape of a gun. There's no holding his cellphone. He has nothing in his hands."

DiCello also said an investigation into Walker's death suggests he sustained 60-80 gunshot wounds and that his body was "riddled with bullets."

Officers in Akron were placed on administrative leave following Walker's death, the NYT reported.

Over the past week, residents of Akron have been protesting on behalf of Walker. During a Thursday press conference Walker's family described Jayland as a "sweet young man" and asked for transparency from authorities over the shooting.

"We love Jayland," Lajuana Walker Dawkins, Walker's aunt, said Thursday. "He was my skinny little nephew and we miss him. We just want some answers."

The Akron Police Department and DiCello did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

So the lawyer appears to be a lying scumbag...to the surprise of no one, actually.

Its not a tragedy... its unjustified use of lethal force and its a crime

Not following police orders justifies homocide ?
Its unconstitutional and illegal

Looking for all of the white guys shot like this for a traffic violation

Are you claiming there are lots of white guys being shot like this but simply not being reported on?

Last edited:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jayland-walker-left-gun-car-215012492.html

Jayland Walker left his gun in the car. Then Akron police shot him 60 times.
Suzette Hackney, USA TODAY
Sun, July 3, 2022 at 6:22 PM·2 min read

“I’m not exactly sure what the equipment violation was, or what the traffic violation was,” Akron Police Chief Stephen Mylett said Sunday.

Walker didn't have a weapon, according to Akron police, when he was shot. The gun, ammunition and a gold ring were left on the front seat of his car. But officers still perceived him as a threat.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jayland-walker-left-gun-car-215012492.html

Jayland Walker left his gun in the car. Then Akron police shot him 60 times.
Suzette Hackney, USA TODAY
Sun, July 3, 2022 at 6:22 PM·2 min read

“I’m not exactly sure what the equipment violation was, or what the traffic violation was,” Akron Police Chief Stephen Mylett said Sunday.

Walker didn't have a weapon, according to Akron police, when he was shot. The gun, ammunition and a gold ring were left on the front seat of his car. But officers still perceived him as a threat.

Do more research. It appears that he fired the gun in the car. He then got out of the car, wearing a ski-mask and ran. He turned and faced the officers and then he was shot.

If this is accurate, there's no way the police could know that he didn't still have the gun.

This is still developing. You may well get to hate the police for this but we aren't there yet.

One thing is certain, if he hadn't tried to elude police, hadn't fired the weapon in his car and hadn't left the vehicle on foot to run, he would almost certainly be alive today. Agree or disagree?

Reactions: ghost_of_ukalum1988
Do more research. It appears that he fired the gun in the car. He then got out of the car, wearing a ski-mask and ran. He turned and faced the officers and then he was shot.
According to one side of the story

If this is accurate, there's no way the police could know that he didn't still have the gun.

Which is the reason why shooting without knowing is a reckless act

This is still developing. You may well get to hate the police for this but we aren't there yet.

Yeah, I'm willing to wait and post what we KNOW

The trumpanzees are already busy exeonerating the cops based on a bunch things that haven't been proven to be true

One thing is certain, if he hadn't tried to elude police, hadn't fired the weapon in his car and hadn't left the vehicle on foot to run, he would almost certainly be alive today. Agree or disagree?

You know he fired a weapon?

People resist arrest ALL OF THE TIME...every day of the week

Are you saying that police are justified killing anyone who resists arrest?

That's been proven as of right now? Please provide the link.

So if the police committed an unjustified shooting they're not criminals?
So if? I'm going on what happened, not ifs. A criminal tried to murder someone.

Full stop. He's a criminal. How the other party acted is another matter. But you DO accept that attemtping to murder someone is a criminal act, right? I mean you aren't so far gone that you can't admit that to us, right?

According to one side of the story

Which is the reason why shooting without knowing is a reckless act

Yeah, I'm willing to wait and post what we KNOW

The trumpanzees are already busy exeonerating the cops based on a bunch things that haven't been proven to be true

You know he fired a weapon?

People resist arrest ALL OF THE TIME...every day of the week

Are you saying that police are justified killing anyone who resists arrest?

You are so clueless. Do you want me to actually answer your questions and educate you? If yes, that means you'd have to be willing to hear it.

Don't waste my time.

You can apparently hear a gun shot over the radio transmissions during the chase. Not sure why they would lie about that...it would be easy to prove it if he did and prove he didn't if he didn't.

So not knowing justifies shooting first and finding out later?

If they reasonably believed that he had a weapon, 100% yes.

The gun was in the car. The weapon was apparently fired in the car. That would lead back to my first sentence.

If I get a call of gun shots from your residence and I respond, it's dark and you come hauling ass out of your door carrying a hairdryer that I believed was a gun, it would be completely unfortunate but it would also be justified if I shot you.

BTW, even the family's attorney referenced that a cops said, "shots fired" over the radio while the car chase was still ongoing.

So if? I'm going on what happened, not ifs. A criminal tried to murder someone.

When did he try to kill someone?

Full stop. He's a criminal. How the other party acted is another matter. But you DO accept that attemtping to murder someone is a criminal act, right? I mean you aren't so far gone that you can't admit that to us, right?

And we'll ask again for your proof that he attempted to kill someone

You are so clueless. Do you want me to actually answer your questions and educate you? If yes, that means you'd have to be willing to hear it.

Don't waste my time.

You can apparently hear a gun shot over the radio transmissions during the chase. Not sure why they would lie about that...it would be easy to prove it if he did and prove he didn't if he didn't.

How about they would lie about that to coverup an unjustified shooting & murder?

If they reasonably believed that he had a weapon, 100% yes.

The gun was in the car. The weapon was apparently fired in the car. That would lead back to my first sentence.

According to whom? The police who may have violated the law

If I get a call of gun shots from your residence and I respond, it's dark and you come hauling ass out of your door carrying a hairdryer that I believed was a gun, it would be completely unfortunate but it would also be justified if I shot you.

There was nothing in the hands of the deceased when he was killed according to police

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT