ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15

I read an article today that if Jack Miller would have been available for the Kentucky game then AR was gonna be benched a series or 2 to try and get his head on straight.
That only makes sense. He came unglued. A couple series on the bench might have helped him. I also wish we had tried to score right before halftime instead of kneeling on it. That sent the message that we didn’t think we could get out of the half without making anymore catastrophic mistakes.

From watching the game,it seemed that the first time he ran the ball there was a KY LB waiting for him to do that and tackled him after only a small gain.After that play I don't recall anymore of him running. JMO.

From watching the game,it seemed that the first time he ran the ball there was a KY LB waiting for him to do that and tackled him after only a small gain.After that play I don't recall anymore of him running. JMO.

Just watched the film breakdown of the offense and it was pretty damn bad. A few times we just missed having a big play but most of it was stuff that just made you shake your head. As far as Richardson KY was making sure they had our right side contained to keep Richardson from rolling out much that way most times. Either with a spy or just having the defense set up to do that. When KY did get pressure up the middle Richardson was throwing off his back foot usually even though he had room not to do that. I guess on the pick 6 they said there is no way you throw that ball when you see the guy didn't start back pedaling. A lot of Richardson being too preoccupied with what the plays 1st option was and being slow to look to the outlet etc. I hope we can work the kinks out Saturday before Tennessee.

While the Vols have been one of the most overhyped teams in D1 year in and year out, the Gator defense will be stressed at Tennessee. Under Josh Heupel they snap the ball faster than any team in the country and will put up some points. With our lack of depth, fatigue in the 2nd half could be a big problem. I'm terrible at picking Gator games, but my opinion is that we have to score a lot of points to win
This game is going to go back to basics, by which I mean, we will need to run the ball so we can control the clock and keep UT's offense off the field. Our defense is so much better this year, but depth is a concern, and it still isn't good enough to win us games if the offense isn't doing it's thing.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Just watched the film breakdown of the offense and it was pretty damn bad. A few times we just missed having a big play but most of it was stuff that just made you shake your head. As far as Richardson KY was making sure they had our right side contained to keep Richardson from rolling out much that way most times. Either with a spy or just having the defense set up to do that. When KY did get pressure up the middle Richardson was throwing off his back foot usually even though he had room not to do that. I guess on the pick 6 they said there is no way you throw that ball when you see the guy didn't start back pedaling. A lot of Richardson being too preoccupied with what the plays 1st option was and being slow to look to the outlet etc. I hope we can work the kinks out Saturday before Tennessee.

All hopefully fixable things.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Nice discussion HERE (first 12 minutes or so) from AR's QB coach, Denny Thompson. (That is the one he works out with over the summer.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Nice discussion HERE (first 12 minutes or so) from AR's QB coach, Denny Thompson. (That is the one he works out with over the summer.)

I listened to that. My disagreement with it is that KY did approach it differently than Utah and had multiple LBs good enough to carry out their plan. But what he was saying might explain the poor early throws and throwing off his back foot etc.

Watch Anthony's press conference after USF,

I dont think he has confidence in his ability. He plays with NO emotion and looks like a deer in headlights.
He looked a bit nervous in his explanation of the INTs. His eyes were wandering all over the place too. Not a good sign. His posture was a bit timid as well.

Not sure why he is looking so timid. In the Utah game he was amped up at least. It's like when KY frustrated him he has acted timid ever since. Even looks timid with his helmet on out there now.

Not sure why he is looking so timid. In the Utah game he was amped up at least. It's like when KY frustrated him he has acted timid ever since. Even looks timid with his helmet on out there now.
I’ve said this a couple times, but he almost looks hurt to me. Or he’s afraid of getting hurt.

I’ve said this a couple times, but he almost looks hurt to me. Or he’s afraid of getting hurt.

Well if Napier told him to be really careful with Miller out he needs to withdraw those instructions. The ability to run is still there.

AR has never and will likely never be that good of a passer but right now he has the “yips”. He’s a good kid but he doesn’t appear to be very strong “mentally”. With that being said something has certainly changed from the Utah game to now. To me he has bad body language in that he doesn’t even look that interested.

AR has never and will likely never be that good of a passer but right now he has the “yips”. He’s a good kid but he doesn’t appear to be very strong “mentally”. With that being said something has certainly changed from the Utah game to now. To me he has bad body language in that he doesn’t even look that interested.
Being told he's the #4 QB in the country by NFL scouts, plus getting a bunch of NIL money maybe made him complacent.

Watch Anthony's press conference after USF,

I dont think he has confidence in his ability. He plays with NO emotion and looks like a deer in headlights.
Tebow,

Mullen wasn't stupid; that is why he played Emory Jones instead of Richardson.

Kentucky's solution to containing Richardson is the basic blueprint all teams will use against Richardson & the Gators - it works !

A team with serious talent - UGA - will contain Richardson & our offense totally.

Not sure Miller is the answer either. But we need to either get Richardson on track or do something else at QB.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Being told he's the #4 QB in the country by NFL scouts, plus getting a bunch of NIL money maybe made him complacent.

Biggest joke I ever heard even with how they way overrated QBs because of physical attributes. Reminds me a little of how Jones was talked up by the media so much after the Bama game because of Trask the previous year. PFF kept texting Jones was basically a lock to be a 2nd round pick. Kiper was saying he was in the area and could become a 1st round pick All this when neither QB had shown they had the mental part of the game down.

Let's do Richardson a favor - for the sake of his Heisman Trophy & his High 1st Round NFL Draft Pick - move him to Tight End - like Felipe Franks.

He’s in his own head.
That’s certainly possible. Richardson started well enough Saturday showing far better control and touch on his passes in the first quarter … until he threw his first interception at the start of the third quarter. He completed 7 of 9 passes before halftime and just 3 of 9 with two picks in the second half.

He’s hiding an injury.
That’s certainly possible, too. Though both Richardson and Napier have denied as much, it’s clear Richardson is apprehensive to run and sluggish when he does move; it also appears as if he’s not setting his feet and stepping into his throws, which is causing some of them to sail.

Florida has now gone 12 quarters — three full games — without throwing a touchdown pass this season as sophomore quarterback Anthony Richardson’s struggles continued. Richardson threw two more interceptions on Saturday night to make it four for the season. He has not found the end zone in either of the last two games with his season totals now standing at a paltry 311 yards passing on 52.5% completions with three rushing touchdowns against Utah the only scores to his name.

Despite Richardson’s mistakes and despite its own successes, the Gators defense nearly cost them the game. Florida allowed 286 yards rushing — the most given up since the LSU game last year — and allowed USF to move the ball at will in critical moments. The Bulls converted 10 of 17 attempts on third and fourth downs (6 of nine in the first half), and if it was not for three turnovers and screwed up operations on their final possession, it’s likely an upset would have been pulled off in The Swamp.
https://onlygators.com/09/18/2022/f...et-bid-as-anthony-richardson-struggles-again/

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: instaGATOR
How many times did Kentucky beat us in 32 years?
SwampMaster,

That is an excellent point !

There is no way UK will beat us this year - they have not beaten us in the past; & as we all know, UF has had a stable HC for the same period & our football program has maintained its excellence for that whole time period & Kentucky certainly hasn't gotten any better.

PLUS
Gators are #12 in Team Talent & UK is only #27 how could they possibly beat us ? At Home !

Has anyone see the AR video going around of him dunking from the free throw line? Maybe he needs to play for our basketball team cause he sure as hell isnt playing for our football team. He needs to focus on football instead of basketball and gymnastics.

Last edited:
Vs USF Rushing - AR - 7 for 29 yds, 5 Loss, 24 Net, L-16, 3.4 ypc.

Pull out the one 16 yard run and it's 6 for 8 yds net, 1.3 ypc....

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
Vs USF Rushing - AR - 7 for 29 yds, 5 Loss, 24 Net, L-16, 3.4 ypc.

Pull out the one 16 yard run and it's 7 for 8 yds net, 1.1 ypc....

Napier has to get something dialed up to use his running ability. Unlike Newton and some other good running QBs he doesn't seem to have a knack for knowing when to take off under pressure if the pass isn't there either.

I really hate this, because I really like AR as a person and wanted him to do well.

However, not my biggest disappointment in life, so I'm moving on.
I still wish him well, but TE might give him a better chance at the NFL, and the Gators a better chance on winning some more games this season....

T.Burton and C.Ingram made very successful moves to TE.

Last edited:
I really hate this, because I really like AR as a person and wanted him to do well.

However, not my biggest disappointment in life, so I'm moving on.
I still wish him well, but TE might give him a better chance at the NFL, and the Gators a better chance on winning some more games this season....

T.Burton and C.Ingram made very successful moves to TE.

The book hasn't been written yet but I do think another poor performance in this Tennessee game probably would show he definitely has a ceiling with the mental part of the game. It's his 3rd year and he has played in about 12 games or so. The inexperienced card won't fly anymore starting with this game

Coach Napier said AR is coming along with his development and checked into that long TD run by Johnson. Growing into his QB role. Let's hope the lights come on a little more this weekend or I think this is no different than the Driskel, Franks and Jones stuff.

You might be wishing you had Carson Beck. While he was shaky last season, this season he is 15-19-178-2-0, QBR 192.38. Looks much more confident in the game now.

You might be wishing you had Carson Beck. While he was shaky last season, this season he is 15-19-178-2-0, QBR 192.38. Looks much more confident in the game now.
scoff3.gif

“I guess I started holding myself back from running, and that’s a part of the offense that helps us move the ball. So I guess I’ve just got to pick that up and bring that back.”

Why do I picture him having that detached look he has had the past 2 games while saying that. Well I just hope he isn't BSing and we at least get the old Richardson back that makes it a point to use his legs.

• Wow
Reactions: gatordad3
I just dont think he has the IQ to be a successful QB. He may have all the size and arm strength but he cant process what he sees. Has NO confidence in his abilities. Maybe he's playing to NOT get hurt cause he has been hurt so much. Napier is gonna have to realize that at some point and give someone else a shot.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I just dont think he has the IQ to be a successful QB. He may have all the size and arm strength but he cant process what he sees. Has NO confidence in his abilities. Maybe he's playing to NOT get hurt cause he has been hurt so much. Napier is gonna have to realize that at some point and give someone else a shot.

Im not sure it's IQ...per se....but if you are a mobile QB athlete and you get the tips (which he's now basically admitted without saying so lay of Napier handcuffing him) then you become and incredibly one-dimensional, one read QB.

that's about as easy to scheme against on defense these days as is possible.

AR needs to sit or have a light come on because the game is absolutely in his head at this point.

I think it was Paco who pointed out that Napier has been calling QB zone reads for him and he refuses to take them.

that's mental. That's fear. Either of getting hurt or failing, but either way, it's on him.

Im not sure it's IQ...per se....but if you are a mobile QB athlete and you get the tips (which he's now basically admitted without saying so lay of Napier handcuffing him) then you become and incredibly one-dimensional, one read QB.

that's about as easy to scheme against on defense these days as is possible.

AR needs to sit or have a light come on because the game is absolutely in his head at this point.

I think it was Paco who pointed out that Napier has been calling QB zone reads for him and he refuses to take them.

that's mental. That's fear. Either of getting hurt or failing, but either way, it's on him.
Yep it's crazy what is going on. I see what they mean about the "it" factor. With a QB like AR it's using his legs and being able to scan things when moving to create more time. He could be a good QB if he could see the field better just a little and cut down on the turnovers.

I am hoping him and Napier aren't messing with us about him using his legs more against Tennessee.

"Scared Money Don't Make Money,,, If That Makes Sense...."

What could possibly be wrong with the Gator offense?

AR's weakness is passing.
AR's strength is being a dual threat runner. (last 2 Gms - 13 for 28 Yds, 2.2 YPC)
So the game plans have been for him to pass tentatively and too often, while running scared of injury. (WTF?)
😒

Naw, I can't imagine what's gone wrong with the Gator's offense..... 🙄
=====
So, how did they get to where they presently are?
🤓

1. A xfer-in QB got all of the attention in Spring and Fall, causing the projected backup to xfer-out. Then the other 2 QB's on the roster mostly just got ignored, instead of being pushed to develop.

2. Next, the xfer-in QB got injured, so now there's an un-prepared 2nd year backup QBpp with a 3rd year walk-on QB at #3.
While a brilliant true freshman dual threat QB has mostly been pushed aside and told to wait until next year to even get a look at a chance to perform....

Question - Why recruit him in the first place, to then ignore him to the point of a possible xfer-out???
Trask was a 2-star backup, and the UGly NC QB was a walk-on, >>> coaching???

So maybe the Gators under-rated 3-star Fr QB-dt should get a better chance and a longer look.... >> 2021 - 71.1% 41/4 TD/Int + 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, 0 LPF's.

Because a hamstrung AR with 0 TD's to 4 Ints and 3.4 ypc, is not a better choice than a tFr QB-dt playing at full speed.
JMOHO's, which I am entitled to, especially as a very long time Gator fan...
==========

SI - Brandon Carroll Today:

"Instead of allowing Richardson to embrace that role as a rusher, as he said he would early at SEC Media Days in July, Napier is inhibiting the immense value of his quarterback, the offense and the team as a whole in the past two weeks after an explosive outing to begin the year. AR said on Monday that the staff harps on him to play carefully each week. Don't "take the big hit" or try to be Superman, he's been told."

"Instead of being in designed rushing situations or instinctively bailing from the pocket to turn busted plays destined for negative yardage into a positive gain, Richardson sits in the face of pressure before making the erroneous reads out of panic or attempting to escape when it’s too late to make his magic happen. It's led to his 52.3% completion and zero-to-four touchdown-to-interception ratio in his first three starts this season."

CBN - "I think each game and each week is a little bit different relative to the concepts that are called, how the team's defending you. I think teams are very aware that this guy can beat them with his feet. I think you maybe get different structure as a result of that."

iG - "Running AR more is not the answer imo, because until and unless AR can beat them with the pass (0/4 & 52%), they are going to continue to focus on 8 in the box with a spy on AR and dare him to pass."

BTW, getting 50% Miller back is not a positive in the iG's oho....

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...n-rushing-limitations-inhibiting-success-2022

PS -- How's that D doing with 3rd and Grantham gone?

Oh I know, let's just blame every glaring deficiency, on Dan/Todd's recruiting...
Dexter - Cox - Unanmieien - Sapp - Antwaun - Boone - Marshall - R.Torrence - T'V Johnson - etc, mostly 4-5 stars.

Also - Dan got hammered for his bring-along coaches, so why are BN's bring-along's getting a pass?

And before anyone starts, discussing where they currently are is not the same as wanting them all fired. Seeing the problems clearly is the 1st step in fixing them....

It all finally comes together this week on sloppy-drop for a Gators upset win!
(I hope/wish)

2. Next, the xfer-in QB got injured, so now there's an un-prepared 2nd year backup QBpp with a 3rd year walk-on QB at #3.
While a brilliant true freshman dual threat QB has mostly been pushed aside and told to wait until next year to even get a look at a chance to perform....

So you are convinced our true freshman QB who didn't show much on tape throwing under real pressure as he almost always got away with scrambling into a better position is brilliant and ready to come in and show the SEC how its done right now? Do you really think Napier would have a walk on in front of him if that was accurate at this point?

Richardson's Inuries

"... One might wonder if these suggestions stem from Richardson's own hurts, as he admitted that he has been affected — physically and mentally in a limited fashion, he shared — by a hit to the same knee he had surgery on late last year vs. Kentucky in Week 2 and when his ankle was stepped on against USF in Week 3. He claimed both hits caused soreness that he's been able to play through.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...n-rushing-limitations-inhibiting-success-2022

Richardson's Inuries

"... One might wonder if these suggestions stem from Richardson's own hurts, as he admitted that he has been affected — physically and mentally in a limited fashion, he shared — by a hit to the same knee he had surgery on late last year vs. Kentucky in Week 2 and when his ankle was stepped on against USF in Week 3. He claimed both hits caused soreness that he's been able to play through.

Don't buy that for a second as limiting him. Heck he was slam dunking the basketball from the foul line that week prior to the game. If Napier telling him to take it easy is the reason they better drop that nonsense right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT