ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think that Franks starts the 18 season?

Except for the usual trolls and rival fans, most of us want to see good QB play for a change, and most of us are not overly concerned about which of the 4 currently on ship get that done, just that at least one of them does by 'earning' the job.

Yes which is why we’re discussing who that person might be.

That’s how message boards work.

The IGNORED twit just can't help himself.... :rolleyes:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

The IGNORED twit just can't help himself.... :rolleyes:

Really, if you would just understand and embrace the purpose of a message board, we would all be better off.

Reactions: GatorNation79
The ignored twit just can't help himself....

There once was a Mad-Dog-dollie,
who's whole life has been a sad folly.
He constantly runs his foaming mouth,
he's the most dufus twit in the South,
and that's way he's ignored by golly.

From the first spring game to last season, Franks just looked lost and uncomfortable back there. I have no idea what Trask can do in real games but that first spring game he looked like he belonged. I'd like to see him given a chance in a real live game to show what he can do.
Driskel also looked good in practice but lost during the games.
It did not help that our OL was terrible at QB protection last year. Maybe being a year older and hopefully much stronger under the new regime will help tremendously with the QB play and opening of holes for our RBs.

If Trask is going to show anything here this Spring is the time to do it. I think Allen just had some minor surgery done also.
He had an appendectomy and those have very short healing/rehab times. I expect him to be part of the mix.

We will have four QBs suited up this spring. Franks, Allen, Trask and Jones. I am sure that Mullen can determine which of those will give us the best chance of winning.

All I know is with the stable of backs we have we better lean on the run game heavily. Assuming the oline isn't complete garbage we should run 60-70% of the time and keep the QB from having to win games

As to the Gator's pursuing yet another Grad-xfer QB,,, JUST SAY NO! :mad:

QB Kyle Trask 6-5 238 rsSo

QB Joe Burrow 6-3 215 rsJr

I said last year that if Zaire wasn't even good enough to be the neutered lame's QB, then he definitely wasn't good enough to be an SEC/Gator QB, and I was correct. :cool:

The same goes for any schmuckeye QB imoho... :rolleyes:

Stop setting the development of roster QB's back by taking in xfers.
Develop one of the 4 already on the roster, or stop claiming to be able to develope QB's... o_O

If the coaching staff felt comfortable with the guys they inherited, they may not being looking at a transfer. Though it would make sense to get one from Ohio State considering the offensive philosophy.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Yeah let's see what we got with the 4 QBs on the roster and make a decision about Joe Murrow or another QB trasnfer after the spring. Etling was a very good QB for LSU.
On the other hand I am encouraged that Jones is spending spring break down in South Florida under the tutelage of an independent QB coach, Quincy Avery.

Last edited:
If you're gonna get a transfer year 1 is the year to do it when there's a bunch of unproven players and none of your own recruits on the roster. No QB on the roster other than Jones fits the system and he's a freshman.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Yeah let's see what we got with the 4 QBs on the roster and make a decision about Joe Murrow or another QB trasnfer after the spring. Etling was a very good QB for LSU.

On the other hand I am encouraged that Jones is spending spring break down in South Florida under the tutelage of an independent QB coach, Quincy Avery.

Just a FYI -- Jake Allen rsFr has been working with former Gator QB and D2 NC (Marshall) Eric Kresser since he was 12 years old.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what Trask looks like in this offense. I know you can't take too much from a spring game, but I was pleasantly surprised how good he looked two years ago in the spring game.

He seemed to take a step back last year, but he should be comfortable in Mullen's offense.

IMO, last year's Spring game was a pure 'set-up' exercise, designed to put Franks in as the starter. Franks 1 Off vs 2-3 Def.
Trask 2-3 Off vs 1 Def. o_O
And IMOHO, Trask still looked like the better QB. :cool:

And Trask had a foot injury that forced him out for the entire 2017 season, while Allen was supposedly suffering from an undisclosed back injury. At least that's what was claimed by the now fired staff.... :rolleyes:

All of that previous 'stuff' aside, I'd still rather it be one of the 4 on the roster than to bring in yet another outside xfer QB. :mad:

IMO, last year's Spring game was a pure 'set-up' exercise, designed to put Franks in as the starter. Franks 1 Off vs 2-3 Def.
Trask 2-3 Off vs 1 Def. o_O
And IMOHO, Trask still looked like the better QB. :cool:

And Trask had a foot injury that forced him out for the entire 2017 season, while Allen was supposedly suffering from an undisclosed back injury. At least that's what was claimed by the now fired staff.... :rolleyes:

All of that previous 'stuff' aside, I'd still rather it be one of the 4 on the roster than to bring in yet another outside xfer QB. :mad:

It was definitely set up to make Franks look good, and he only looked OK. I disagree that Trask looked better, I understand he was in a much tougher position, but he didn't look good at all

Go to the 50 minute mark and watch.
And remember who is blocking for Trask, who is running the routes and receiving the ball. Also, who is calling which plays, and why.... o_O

The deck couldn't be any more stacked again him imo, but others are always free to see things in a different light. (past is past for me anyway, in this case)

I think that Mullen/BillyG/Hevesy are smart enough to let the cards fall where they may and play the best guy, whichever one that turns out to be. That's what I'm hoping anyway.... :cool:

Go to the 50 minute mark and watch.
And remember who is blocking for Trask, who is running the routes and receiving the ball. Also, who is calling which plays, and why.... o_O

The deck couldn't be any more stacked again him imo, but others are always free to see things in a different light. (past is past for me anyway, in this case)

I think that Mullen/BillyG/Hevesy are smart enough to let the cards fall where they may and play the best guy, whichever one that turns out to be. That's what I'm hoping anyway.... :cool:

I agree the deck was stacked against him, just saying he didn't look good, not saying it was entirely his fault

I suppose that we (Gator fans) are all looking forward to seeing how the 4 QB's perform through the Spring, summer and fall, right up to the 1st game or two.
Good luck to them all,,, and may the best 1-2 QB's win the job(s). :)

Hey guys, look!

Insta is slobbering al over Trask again!

Who saw that cumming?

Good thing he’ll never know I said this because I’m “ignored” and circle jerking so how could he know things?

Why ignore me when all you need to do is love me? You obsess about me.

We can beard rub if you want. I’ll understand.

Even geriatrics have needs and wants.

As to the Gator's pursuing yet another Grad-xfer QB,,, JUST SAY NO! :mad:

QB Kyle Trask 6-5 238 rsSo

QB Joe Burrow 6-3 215 rsJr

The same goes for any schmuckeye QB imoho... :rolleyes:

Stop setting the development of roster QB's back by taking in xfers.
Develop one of the 4 already on the roster, or stop claiming to be able to develope QB's... o_O

Trask was showing his skills off even before he got to UF. Not sure how all this plays out since Franks started last season and Trask has never took a live snap but I somehow get the feeling he could run the ball better in Mullen's system than Franks could.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I agree, having seen both run the ball in both HS and in Spring games.
Plus Trask looks a lot more physically able to do so, but we'll see...
Trask 6-5 239 ----- Franks 6-5 227-- But that's last years roster Ht/Wt.

And while Franks might(?) have a slightly stronger throwing arm, Trask is a lot more accurate and he doesn't throw Interceptions or constantly eat the ball taking sacks...

However, none of us really knows how they will do with the upcoming roster and the new coaches and offense. I'll willing to wait and see where this goes.

I agree, having seen both run the ball in both HS and in Spring games.
Plus Trask looks a lot more physically able to do so, but we'll see...
Trask 6-5 239 ----- Franks 6-5 227-- But that's last years roster Ht/Wt.

And while Franks might(?) have a slightly stronger throwing arm, Trask is a lot more accurate and he doesn't throw Interceptions or constantly eat the ball taking sacks...

However, none of us really knows how they will do with the upcoming roster and the new coaches and offense. I'll willing to wait and see where this goes.

As far as the running goes I think Trask would be better at the shorter runs probably and he has pretty good speed now I think. Franks can get moving pretty fast but he seems to need quite a bit of open space to do it.

I just hope they are all given a fair chance to win the job including the true freshman.

As far as the running goes I think Trask would be better at the shorter runs probably and he has pretty good speed now I think. Franks can get moving pretty fast but he seems to need quite a bit of open space to do it.

I just hope they are all given a fair chance to win the job including the true freshman.

They’re looking at getting a transfer.

Trask was a backup I’m high school in a spread offense because he couldn’t play in it.

He’s literally only at Florida because Doug Nussmeier thought he was great.

Seriously?

They’re looking at getting a transfer.

Trask was a backup I’m high school in a spread offense because he couldn’t play in it.

He’s literally only at Florida because Doug Nussmeier thought he was great.

Seriously?

The kid in front of him didn't do too bad when he took over at Houston last year. I am skeptical of what he can do but I didn't trust Mac to make a correct decision either after that mess he pulled with Franks. Mullen will probably pick the right starter I would think for the beginning of the season.

That narrative about the job not being decided fairly has just become a running joke. Did it ever occur to anybody that Franks was the best of a bunch of sorry options? Del Rio was out and didn't come back till fall practice and he's not good anyway. Allen was out with a bad back and was a true freshman. Zaire didn't show up till fall practice. Trask couldn't start in HS. Who the hell else was supposed to play exactly?

Then you have the same tired shit about the spring game being rigged by the same folks who had their predetermined favorites despite all evidence to the contrary. Its almost as if people here haven't watched other spring games. Here's a hint: coaches play their 1st team agsinst the 2nd and 3rd string and vice versa. It isn't some new concept McElwain came up with to make Franks look good. The worst part about that argument is you same hypocrites killed Franks for his performance as a freshman when he was going up against the 1st string. Why didn't y'all give him a pass then if y'all believe half the bullshit you spew? So he gets killed for playing against the 2nd and 3rd string with the 1st team but then when he's with the 2nd and 3rd string going against the 1st team nobody is understanding when he struggles? Are y'all really that big of hypocrites or just that dumb?

And didn't Trask play ahead of Franks their freshman years? So then a year later the coaches suddenly decide they hate Trask, declare Franks the lord and savior, and gift him the job? And that makes sense to y'all. They just HAD to give the job to Franks because potato. Seems legit.

Reactions: Dannygator1989
I have watched other spring games and never saw as big a joke as that - that I can remember anyway where the top QB went against mostly walk on DBs and a 3rd stringer on all the decent plays.

Heck I knew something was up when he pulled nothing like that for Del Rio in 2016 and then you get to the regular season and Franks only kept the pick numbers down by running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage etc. It was pretty clear the rumors were true about him not being too good in practice besides the fluff pieces the media feeds us.

Yea, sure. You said that last year when it happened then when asked for examples couldn't provide any. Except for fun formats where there's a player draft or something like that in spring games you see 1 vs. 2 and some threes...its not anything new. In UGA's spring game Eason had a series against a defense that was almost entirely true freshman with some backups sprinkled in. Teams aren't out there going 1 vs. 1 with complicated defenses. They did the same damn thing with Del Rio the year before. They were wholesale substituting all the teams because...its a spring game and its not that serious. Trask was actually the one playing against most of the backups, he wasn't going against the 1st the entire time. That's more bullshit that just got repeated until it became message board fact.

I wonder if y'all understand you're advocating for a guy who couldn't get off the bench in HS because he wasn't athletic enough to run a spread. So logically the conclusion is he'll he able to run a spread in the SEC? How does that make any sense? None of the returning QB's are the answer. That's why we're looking at transfers.

The ignored twit just can't help himself....

There once was a Mad-Dog-dollie,
who's whole life has been a sad folly.
He constantly runs his foaming mouth,
he's the most dufus twit in the South,
and that's way he's ignored by golly.
If he's on "Ignore" then why do you, the all great and powerful (douche bag), respond to every post? How does that actually work Instaturd?

McElwain obviously did a poor job here but the spring game format wasn’t any different than about the way 95% of the country does them. If you asked the college coaches across the country and they were being honest I can guarantee you they would just rather not even have a spring game.

I wonder if y'all understand you're advocating for a guy who couldn't get off the bench in HS because he wasn't athletic enough to run a spread. So logically the conclusion is he'll he able to run a spread in the SEC? How does that make any sense? None of the returning QB's are the answer. That's why we're looking at transfers.

It’s because some people’s minds have been loosened with propaganda that’s been propagated by a certain protagonist.

McElwain obviously did a poor job here but the spring game format wasn’t any different than about the way 95% of the country does them. If you asked the college coaches across the country and they were being honest I can guarantee you they would just rather not even have a spring game.
I watched a few including the 16 game with Del Rio and didn't see any where the 1st string QB was purposely put against walk on DBs even early in the game. in most I saw the starter was either put against 2nd stringers or a combo of 1st stringers and 2nd stringers in some cases.

What Mac did with Franks was crazy and its hard not to take anything else away from it than he wanted to make sure Franks didn't look bad in that spring game.

If someone can find me another spring game in recent years where the # 1 QB on a team was given a scenario like that on his passing plays for the majority of the game I would like to see it.

Not really advocating a lot for him but I think Franks probably isn't the answer either. I wouldn't mind a transfer if he is suited for Mullen's offense.

That QB that was in front of Trask is doing pretty good at Houston right now and is a real big running threat so despite Trask being 2nd string to him in high school I don't think that necessarily means Trask will never be able to play a little bit.

Not really advocating a lot for him but I think Franks probably isn't the answer either. I wouldn't mind a transfer if he is suited for Mullen's offense.

That QB that was in front of Trask is doing pretty good at Houston right now and is a real big running threat so despite Trask being 2nd string to him in high school I don't think that necessarily means Trask will never be able to play a little bit.

And Trask is not a real running threat. One of the main reasons he was benched

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT