ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think that Franks starts the 18 season?

g8rbass94

Bull Gator
Jan 10, 2007
IIRC he was a spread player in HS and it's probably easier to run and react to the defense than what Mac was asking him to do. With Mullen and staff coaching him up, I could see it.

Is Trask healthy? If it comes down to Emory or Franks right now I would have to go with Franks. This is the SEC we are talking about. I can see Emory redshirting this year if he isn't a viable option to start but our QB depth isn't that deep or proven so that may not happen.

I could see it happening but only because no one else is viable or Franks makes huge strides. Emory may be too early to start.

Is Trask healthy? If it comes down to Emory or Franks right now I would have to go with Franks. This is the SEC we are talking about. I can see Emory redshirting this year if he isn't a viable option to start but our QB depth isn't that deep or proven so that may not happen.

"SEC" lol that vaunted sec east..... I get what u were trying to say but the "sec" thing doesnt really hold the same weight it did 6 or 7 yrs ago. Bama has been the team of the decade but its been just bama. UGA looks to be getting good and the SEC is still a top co ference but lets not pretend it is what it once was

I am not one for hyperbole, but I am pretty sure once Mullen listens to Insta and give Trask a shot, he will have the starting role all locked up, win two Heismans and break every National, SEC and Florida QB record know to man.

He probably wins it by default but it wouldn't surprise me if the true freshman is starting by mid season. Franks can move some but he doesn't have the type of QB running ability that excels in Mullen's system.

If Franks doesn't improve a whole lot we are the place where you play that true freshman QB. Hard to see the results being any worse than Franks and you get him that valuable experience.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Franks will start next year. I actually think Mullen will turn him into a serviceable QB. I don’t know that Franks is cerebral enough to be much more than that though.

Dan sounded comfortable with the roster QB's to me, and the door is wide open for any of them, beginning in the Spring. There seems to be plenty of raw talent among that group, and I'll be happy with any of them that can compete and win the job. (contrary to mouthy-moron's opinions) :confused:

Thank gawd for this kind of coaching attitude: “Everything is a competition. They’re learning to compete in everything that we do,” Mullen said. “When we’re in weight room, they compete. When we do mat drills, they compete. When we do speed training, they compete. They don’t just run sprints — they race against somebody. When we do agilities, we compete against each other. Community service, we compete. There’s a winner and there’s losers in everything we do.”

~~ There Are No Participation Awards & No Favorites!

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...y-in-but-says-team-still-learning-how-to-work

Reactions: NoviG8r
Traditionally, Mullen runs his QB quite a bit so you better have a really athletic durable guy. If not, you better have some great depth.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Traditionally, Mullen runs his QB quite a bit so you better have a really athletic durable guy. If not, you better have some great depth.

Traditionally, Mullen has always adjusted to the abilities of his individual QB's..
And he has recently confirmed that he will continue to do so. o_O

Alex Smith 6-4 217 ***
Tim Tebow 6-3 230 *****
Dak Prescott 6-2 220 ***
Nick Fitzgerald 6-5 205 **
~~ All four went on to the NFL
Franks 6-5 227 rsSo
Trask 6-5 239 rsSo
Allen 6-3 199 rsFr
Jones 6-3 196 Fr
Sproles 6-2 211 rsSo - WO

Plus wildcat Toney and several others if they were needed.

Last edited:
Why is there such obsession with the ht/wt of a player? Most players in the same position are similar in size, that is the most shallow inconsequential thing to compare among players.

Why is there such obsession with the ht/wt of a player? Most players in the same position are similar in size, that is the most shallow inconsequential thing to compare among players.

To a degree, and there’s always outliers, but generally size does help.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I think one of the QBs probably transfers before the season starts. Probably Allen unless he is a better runner than Trask. Never really watched much film of Allen to see if he can move some or not if needed.

Reactions: g8rbass94
To a degree, and there’s always outliers, but generally size does help.
Sure but unless there is a significant difference in players it would seem comparing them is irrelevant. When you have players in the 6’3” - 6’5” range what’s more important at that point? Their weight or their accuracy with a pass? Their height or their ability to catch? Five pound difference or speed?

That claim missed by a country mile imo... :confused:

Tim Tebow 6-3 230 *****
Nick Fitzgerald 6-5 205 ** (Dan's last QB at MsSt)
2 inches in Ht, 25 pounds, and a 3 stars difference.

The difference between a tank and a bean pole. ;)
Yep, exactly the same with little to no differences at all in their 'size,' passing, running, or their evaluations by outsiders.... :rolleyes:

What was the same was their leadership and intangibles. Both succeeded in Dan's 'adjustable' offense, and both get their shot at professional sports.
~ Adapt and overcome, by both the players and the coaches.
-----
Franks 6-5 227 rsSo ****
Allen 6-3 199 rsFr *** (7A FL State Champ at STA)
2 inches and 28 pounds, with a 1 star rating difference.

Trask 6-5 239 rsSo ** -- A better passer with the size to run when needed.
Jones 6-3 196 Fr **** -- A better runner and continues to improve throwing.
2 Inches and 43 pounds, with a 2 star difference. o_O -- :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The 2 Big Guys (12 Lbs)
Franks 6-5 227 rsSo
Trask 6-5 239 rsSo

The 2 Smaller Guys (3 Lbs)
Allen 6-3 199 rsFr
Jones 6-3 196 Fr

Physical bio stats are never of any consequence at all, and that's why they are so prominent in every bio and stat sheet across every sport.... :confused:
The size of the dog in the fight vs the size of the fight in the dog....

I can easily agree that the Ht/Wt/40 are not the 'be all' or 'end all' of any players level of success, but claiming that they don't matter is silly imo. :cool:

======================

I think one of the QBs probably transfers before the season starts. Probably Allen unless he is a better runner than Trask. Never really watched much film of Allen to see if he can move some or not if needed.

JMOHO of course, but part of what got WR Grimes a 5 star rating in HS was Allen throwing him the ball at STA, all the way to a FL 7A State Championship. ;)

========================

With the Mullen / Johnson combo coaching them up, I think that any of UF's 4 ship QB's can get the job done. The thing I'll be watching in the Spring is not their physical sizes or how many stars that outsiders gave them coming out of HS, but for which one of them that steps up and 'get's the job done' on and off the field. o_O

Last edited:
Makes sense for him to, he'all be the only one on the roster with a live snap come game time. But it doesn't even matter, who finishes the season will be more important and I can't see it being him.

Makes sense for him to, he'all be the only one on the roster with a live snap come game time. But it doesn't even matter, who finishes the season will be more important and I can't see it being him.
He seems to do better in practice than in live game situations. You probably noticed any number of you fellow players that were better or worse in live games than they were in practice.

I am not sure Mullen can cure Franks of being worse in games than he is in practice, but I am glad both get the opportunity to see if it does go better

I think all players will be better on offense ...we have had virtually no player development at the QB position and litterally the worst game plan/play calling in the country. I don't think we really know what Franks can do since the Butter Teeth Swamp Donkey has been the mastermind behind the QB position.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
He seems to do better in practice than in live game situations. You probably noticed any number of you fellow players that were better or worse in live games than they were in practice.

I am not sure Mullen can cure Franks of being worse in games than he is in practice, but I am glad both get the opportunity to see if it does go better

Yep! I agree.

If Trask is going to show anything here this Spring is the time to do it. I think Allen just had some minor surgery done also.

Reactions: instaGATOR

Maybe Mullen can get Franks to stop Driskeling but I am not convinced he was that good in practice myself with how Mac went out of his way to try and protect him especially early in the season and that spring game was just unreal with what Mac pulled. I will be rooting for him to hopefully turn it around if he does get the start however.

I’m a big believer in good coaching being able to turn around quarterbacks. Look at the difference in Jared Goff this year vs his year under Jeff Fisher. Or Foles under Chip Kelly or Peterson this year vs... Jeff Fisher.

I think Mullen is the kind of coach who will tailor their offense to what the quarterback can do , as opposed to trying to jam an offense down their throat. And Franks has physical talent. He threw a 70 yard td and broke a 70-td run. So I wouldn’t write off Franks just because he looked bad under the McElwain goober.

I’m a big believer in good coaching being able to turn around quarterbacks. Look at the difference in Jared Goff this year vs his year under Jeff Fisher. Or Foles under Chip Kelly or Peterson this year vs... Jeff Fisher.

I think Mullen is the kind of coach who will tailor their offense to what the quarterback can do , as opposed to trying to jam an offense down their throat. And Franks has physical talent. He threw a 70 yard td and broke a 70-td run. So I wouldn’t write off Franks just because he looked bad under the McElwain goober.

It’s certainly a possibility.

There’s just things about him that worry me.

He looked mostly lost in a system that inexplicably based itself off the screen.

Maybe they couldn’t coach him to understand some simple concepts, that wouldn’t surprise me, but I also tend to think he’s gun shy.

And I know it’s silly, but I’ve felt uneasy about him from the moment he flipped his commitment from LSU because Les Miles’ track record with QBs is about as awful as they come.

Just saying.

Maybe Mullen can fix the majority of his problems. I’ll certainly take his experience over a true freshman as long as he actually figures out how to football. Otherwise, put Jones in.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
The good news? Mullen has shown he knows how to pick the right QB for his system and to develop whomever he picks into a good to great QB for his system.

There IS some optimism.

Reactions: GatorNation79

Trying to stay positive on this or hope Jones is one of those rare talents that can play decent as a true freshman but I just don't think Franks fits Mullen's system too well besides the upstairs part of the game. Franks can run pretty good in the open field but that long stride of his is not suited I think for how Mullen likes to use the QB run option. They did good with Smith at Utah who wasn't a great runner but when Mullen was at Miss State and was forced to use someone that didn't run well that offense struggled a lot.

Trying to stay positive on this or hope Jones is one of those rare talents that can play decent as a true freshman but I just don't think Franks fits Mullen's system too well besides the upstairs part of the game. Franks can run pretty good in the open field but that long stride of his is not suited I think for how Mullen likes to use the QB run option. They did good with Smith at Utah who wasn't a great runner but when Mullen was at Miss State and was forced to use someone that didn't run well that offense struggled a lot.

Certainly, Mullen's offense seems to run best with, not just a running quarterback, but a physical running quarterback, Tebow, Dak, Fitzgerald. Franks doesn't run like that, but he is an athlete. He's probably faster and has a better arm than those guys. I think Mullen will find a way to move the ball with one of those guys.

Certainly, Mullen's offense seems to run best with, not just a running quarterback, but a physical running quarterback, Tebow, Dak, Fitzgerald. Franks doesn't run like that, but he is an athlete. He's probably faster and has a better arm than those guys. I think Mullen will find a way to move the ball with one of those guys.

The problem with Franks is between his ears I think. I've seen film of him in high school, and he didn't do a lot of the dumb things he does now, like refusing to check down, refusing to throw the ball away when the pocket collapses and nobody is open, and staring down his receiver.

Except for the usual trolls and rival fans, most of us want to see good QB play for a change, and most of us are not overly concerned about which of the 4 currently on ship get that done, just that at least one of them does by 'earning' the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT