ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think that Franks starts the 18 season?

And Trask is not a real running threat. One of the main reasons he was benched

What do you mean benched? He has never took a snap here I think. If you mean high school that kid in front of him played pretty good right off the bat last season and has some serious running ability.

I bet Trask could run as good or better than Franks in Mullen's system probably even though he isn't real fast. Franks has that type of speed where he needs to get going first.

I think Mullen will give everyone a fair chance however when Spring opens. If Trask is still 3rd string in the Spring game he just doesn't have it probably.

Reactions: instaGATOR
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/209421/kyle-trask

I hope you guys start the QB with a 5 second forty time. But quick someone throw out his height and weight as if that’s more important than his athleticism and accuracy in your new offense. That throw into three defenders for a pick in your last spring game was not on the WR.

I highly doubt Trask runs a 5 or higher now. Heck Franks was listed with like a 4.8 in one of his clockings in a camp but I am sure he would beat that easily now.

Last edited:
What do you mean benched? He has never took a snap here I think. If you mean high school that kid in front of him played pretty good right off the bat last season and has some serious running ability.

I bet Trask could run as good or better than Franks in Mullen's system probably even though he isn't real fast. Franks has that type of speed where he needs to get going first.

I think Mullen will give everyone a fair chance however when Spring opens. If Trask is still 3rd string in the Spring game he just doesn't have it probably.

And Trask is slow. So he doesn’t have the type of speed that does anything.

Literally the reason he was the backup.

And Trask is slow. So he doesn’t have the type of speed that does anything.

Literally the reason he was the backup.

OK so he lost out to a guy in a heavy running QB system in high school that is running all over people in FBS football now and is a decent passer in addition to that.

Trask will probably never play here but great speed isn't everything with running Mullen's system. Prescott ran a 4.79 at the NFL combine. Not exactly blazing numbers and slower than Franks probably.

Waiting for a decent QB is very frustrating. Hopefully Jones is that special talent that can play right away.

Last edited:

This is sort of my point of view. Mullen has shown he can both recognize and develop QBs to run his offense. I doubt very seriously that he is biased for or against any particular QB on the roster.

Reactions: Gator Fever
This is sort of my point of view. Mullen has shown he can both recognize and develop QBs to run his offense. I doubt very seriously that he is biased for or against any particular QB on the roster.

Idk...he developed John Brantley for two years...

You're completely ignoring that the kid from Houston played in front of him because they ran a spread and he was a much better fit. So if Trask couldn't run a spread in HS what on earth makes you think he can run one in college? Are college defenses somehow less athletic than HS defenses? Its nonsensical. And the only official times on Trask have him anywhere from 4.9- 5.11 so idk where this supposed running ability he has is coming from.

Reactions: Gator Fever
You're completely ignoring that the kid from Houston played in front of him because they ran a spread and he was a much better fit. So if Trask couldn't run a spread in HS what on earth makes you think he can run one in college? Are college defenses somehow less athletic than HS defenses? Its nonsensical. And the only official times on Trask have him anywhere from 4.9- 5.11 so idk where this supposed running ability he has is coming from.

Because some people just want it to be true, and ignore things like how he has trouble commanding a huddle because he didn’t play in high school.

Because some people just want it to be true, and ignore things like how he has trouble commanding a huddle because he didn’t play in high school.

I really don't get it. Even last spring there were reports Franks was struggling with accuracy and throwing picks and Trask STILL couldn't beat him out. Then to your point the reports on Trask was he had no idea how to command a huddle or lead an offense...that's kinda what happens when you have never started. Now maybe y'all wanna argue Nuss is incompetent and had no idea how to pick a QB, and that's true, but by that same logic he was the only Power 5 coach to offer Trask a scholarship. So knowing how shitty he is at calling an offense and picking QB's why the hell does anyone think Trask was a good pick? Nuss was literally the only coach at a major program to think this kid could play. It logically makes no sense.

I hope that every quarterback gets time with the 1s against the 1s if not at the spring game then at least at the scrimmages. I am not convinced that Franks, Trask or Allen are fits in this offense. As far as Trask vs Franks is concerned, all I can go by is the spring game in which both participated. Franks looked lost and Trask did not. I don't have any insider info on what happened at practices or scrimmages. For all we know Allen might be better than either one of them.
I am pretty sure that after the spring practices one or more of our QBs will transfer and Joe Murrow might be available. No matter who wins the job can we please throw some slants/crossing routes and to the tight ends down the middle?
None of them will be successful if the OL is as bad as last year.

Last edited:
Good stuff, (Fev & Snake) and a 'real QB conversation' for a much needed change... :cool:

Trask is as fast, or maybe a little faster, than Tebow or Dak and he's bigger.
Trask and Allen are both more accurate than Franks.
Jones is the FNG and still a bit of an unknown, but that changes soon.
Franks is not dead yet, but imo, he's on life support as a Gator QB. ;)

Last edited:
I really don't get it. Even last spring there were reports Franks was struggling with accuracy and throwing picks and Trask STILL couldn't beat him out. Then to your point the reports on Trask was he had no idea how to command a huddle or lead an offense...that's kinda what happens when you have never started. Now maybe y'all wanna argue Nuss is incompetent and had no idea how to pick a QB, and that's true, but by that same logic he was the only Power 5 coach to offer Trask a scholarship. So knowing how shitty he is at calling an offense and picking QB's why the hell does anyone think Trask was a good pick? Nuss was literally the only coach at a major program to think this kid could play. It logically makes no sense.
Didn't Trask hurt his knee?
https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/...k-injury-torn-meniscus-florida-gators-surgery

and then his foot:
"Redshirt freshman quarterback Kyle Trask has been out all season since injuring himself leading up to the first game. Former coach Jim McElwain stated in early September that Trask had “a bolt put in his foot” and said in early October that the QB was “still a ways away.”:
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-two-scholarship-qbs-kyle-trask-jake-allen-remain-injured

He played with a torn meniscus in the 2017 spring game and played with the 2s on offense against the 1s on defense whereas Franks played with the 1s against the 2s. Now is he the better QB? Probably not but I would like to see them compete under the same conditions just as with every other QB on the team.

Last edited:
Snake, you're wasting your time with the Trask/Allen haters. Maybe they'd be liked better, if they spent a lot of time under a sun lamp, and if they also hung out in the hood well after midnight on Fri/Sat nights... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Franks will start next year. I actually think Mullen will turn him into a serviceable QB. I don’t know that Franks is cerebral enough to be much more than that though.

What do we know about QBs in spread offenses? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to excel at running that offense. Franks could be very good in an offense where there is base play with only one or two possible option decisions if Plan A isn't working out. He's got a cannon for an arm and I was shocked at how fast his downhill speed is. He sucks at stepping up in the pocket and isn't quick laterally and not elusive at all..........but I could see him ripping off some nice runs on read options. If the defense can't put 8 in the box and blitzkrieg him every passing down, I see the potential for success. It depends entirely on how well Mullen can coach him up. The NFL isn't in his future no matter what.

Good stuff, (Fev & Snake) and a 'real QB conversation' for a much needed change... :cool:

Trask is as fast, or maybe a little faster, than Tebow or Dak and he's bigger.
Trask and Allen are both more accurate than Franks.
Jones is the FNG and still a bit of an unknown, but that changes soon.
Franks is not dead yet, but imo, he's on life support as a Gator QB. ;)

What evidence s is there that Trask is faster than Tebow and Dak? Any measure that anybody can find has Trask being dreadfully slow.

Again, if he had the ability to be an efficient mobile QB, with what is supposed a really good arm, then why didn’t he start at all in high school, where they ran an running QB spread offense.

I don’t care who ends up being the QB as long as they’re the best option. If it’s Trask, that would be fine with me. But making him into some sort of hidden gem and just making up things about his athleticism is ridiculous.

Just because you want it to be true doesn’t make sense.

I have a feeling it’s going to end up being Jones unless Franks, Trask or Allen really show something to Mullen that they can be the best option right now.

Didn't Trask hurt his knee?
https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/...k-injury-torn-meniscus-florida-gators-surgery

and then his foot:
"Redshirt freshman quarterback Kyle Trask has been out all season since injuring himself leading up to the first game. Former coach Jim McElwain stated in early September that Trask had “a bolt put in his foot” and said in early October that the QB was “still a ways away.”:
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-two-scholarship-qbs-kyle-trask-jake-allen-remain-injured

He played with a torn meniscus in the 2017 spring game and played with the 2s on offense against the 1s on defense whereas Franks played with the 1s against the 2s. Now is he the better QB? Probably not but I would like to see them compete under the same conditions just as with every other QB on the team.

By the time he was injured, late in camp, he had already fallen behind in the QB race, which is why he was playing with the 2's. And the reports at thr time were that he had trouble commanding the huddle. This isn't complicated. Y'all keep looking for conspiracies as to why he wasn't playing, I guess all his coaches just hate him and don't want to have a fair competition.

Snake, you're wasting your time with the Trask/Allen haters. Maybe they'd be liked better, if they spent a lot of time under a sun lamp, and if they also hung out in the hood well after midnight on Fri/Sat nights... :rolleyes:

Yes because all the other QB's on the roster hang out in the hood after midnight, whatever that means. I'm glad you're never afraid to have your bigotry on display.

Have you watched that kid play at Houston? I did once and he has wide receiver speed and isn't a bad passer either. No way was Trask going to beat him out in a system like that in high school.

Not saying Trask is made for Mullen's system obviously but it wouldn't shock me if he could run it a little better than Franks could. I bet Trask's practical speed now for what a QB runs in Mullen's offense is about as fast as Franks. Franks couldn't dream of running like that kid at Miss State in the QB option plays Mullen runs.

Reactions: instaGATOR
WoW, what a surprise that the bigoted haters would call me the bigot. :D
While I (unlike the student section) supported Leak over Tebow as the starter in 2006.
And I've only been a Gator fan for all these years, because it's always been an all white team.... :rolleyes:

Kiinda like Hillary and Obama calling Trump the bigot and the Russian collaborator... o_O

Have you watched that kid play at Houston? I did once and he has wide receiver speed and isn't a bad passer either. No way was Trask going to beat him out in a system like that in high school.

Not saying Trask is made for Mullen's system obviously but it wouldn't shock me if he could run it a little better than Franks could. I bet Trask's practical speed now for what a QB runs in Mullen's offense is about as fast as Franks. Franks couldn't dream of running like that kid at Miss State in the QB option plays Mullen runs.

Based on what? That's what we're asking for.

And I'm not sure how you don't see that you're proving the point we're all making. He could not operate a spread offense in HS, the same kind we'll be running. And he didn't get beat out by some top notch dual threat QB, the other kid ended up at Houston because very few schools wanted him as an actual QB, he was a receiver recruit for most schools. Your argument is literally "be couldn't beat out a kid in HS because that kid was more athletic but he can operate Mullen's offense." The same Mullen offense that asks his QB to be just as athletic. I have no idea how that makes sense.

I hate, hate, hate to agree with Insta, but am not sure that Trask being beat out in HS is proof that he can't run a spread. It just means he competed against someone the coaches thought could run it better.

WoW, what a surprise that the bigoted haters would call me the bigot. :D
While I (unlike the student section) supported Leak over Tebow as the starter in 2006.
And I've only been a Gator fan for all these years, because it's always been an all white team.... :rolleyes:

Kiinda like Hillary and Obama calling Trump the bigot and the Russian collaborator... o_O

This is the equivalent of "I have a black friend." Or "I have mulatto nieces and nephews."

Why exactly would our other QB's be hanging out in the hood? What were you insinuating?

@passoverGator

What do we know about QBs in spread offenses? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to excel at running that offense. Franks could be very good in an offense where there is base play with only one or two possible option decisions if Plan A isn't working out. He's got a cannon for an arm and I was shocked at how fast his downhill speed is. He sucks at stepping up in the pocket and isn't quick laterally and not elusive at all..........but I could see him ripping off some nice runs on read options. If the defense can't put 8 in the box and blitzkrieg him every passing down, I see the potential for success. It depends entirely on how well Mullen can coach him up. The NFL isn't in his future no matter what.

Possibly but I see him more like Driskel but with a little bit slower straight ahead speed. If he gets a big gap he will be able to light it up running in Mullen's system but on most plays I don't think he will excel in this system. And based on his decision making I wouldn't be surprised if he Driskels some not reading the DE right when it comes to those plays. I remember the OC running a few of those in 2014 until Driskel showed he had a hard time even getting that down.

Now having said all that and coming off as a Franks basher I will be rooting for the kid if Mullen thinks he is the right choice to go with early if Jones needs more time.

I hate, hate, hate to agree with Insta, but am not sure that Trask being beat out in HS is proof that he can't run a spread. It just means he competed against someone the coaches thought could run it better.

I'm not seeing how those two points are mutually exclusive? If he could run a spread, given he's a much better passer than the other kid was, he'd have fit and started. So the logical conclusion is that the other kid was so much more athletic than Trask that his passing wasn't even worth it. If Trask's athleticism was a liability in HS how would it not be in the SEC? Either that or the coach was so stupid he kept a better fit on the bench. And its not like that kid is a high level QB, in fact very few schools offered him as a QB which is why he went to Houston. So if a low level, non-power 5 QB was a better fit for a spread, where's the logic that says actual highly recruited QB's that we have won't also be a better fit?

I really don't care who wins the job as long as they move the ball and score more points than the other team. There was some games last year that I just turned the TV off. That has not happened in the 40 years I have been watching the Gators.

Kyle Trask - Could never make the quick throws or the soft deep ball. Only looks at the primary, never goes through the progressions, and he has terrible mechanics.... Just see for yourself here:

And he never played in a game in HS either. He has too weak of an arm to throw down field balls, no quick release, and he can't move in the pocket or run it if needed. He's such a QB dud that it's easy to see why he has that circle of jerk haters... Just see for yourself here:

How about you cite all the posts claiming Trask can't throw or never played? Just about everything you post is some dumb straw man or some closeted reference.

I'm not seeing how those two points are mutually exclusive? If he could run a spread, given he's a much better passer than the other kid was, he'd have fit and started. So the logical conclusion is that the other kid was so much more athletic than Trask that his passing wasn't even worth it. If Trask's athleticism was a liability in HS how would it not be in the SEC? Either that or the coach was so stupid he kept a better fit on the bench. And its not like that kid is a high level QB, in fact very few schools offered him as a QB which is why he went to Houston. So if a low level, non-power 5 QB was a better fit for a spread, where's the logic that says actual highly recruited QB's that we have won't also be a better fit?

His size scared off most places wanting to use him as a QB probably. I think he is only 5'10". I think a few programs wanted him as an athlete but he wanted to play QB.

Who do we have that was highly recruited? Not Franks, it was just us and LSU and LSU did not shed many tears when they lost him. He was a project for them just as he has been for us.

His size scared off most places wanting to use him as a QB probably. I think he is only 5'10". I think a few programs wanted him as an athlete but he wanted to play QB.

Well that's exactly my point. A 5'10 kid who's at best a mediocre passer kept him on the bench because the differences in athleticism was that drastic. That's how bad of a fit he was for a spread. And that's in HS. So it makes no sense to think he'll be a good fit for a spread at a higher level. He's a down field pocket passer which is why Mac wanted him. There isn't a fit on this roster. Franks, Trask, and Allen would all be better off elsewhere. Jones isn't ready either.

Who do we have that was highly recruited? Not Franks, it was just us and LSU and LSU did not shed many tears when they lost him. He was a project for them just as he has been for us.

Franks was highly recruited. He shouldn't have been and I even said at the time I didn't want him at UF but he was. UF, FSU, LSU, UGA , and Alabama all offered. No clue why, that release alone let me know he wouldn't be worth a damn but he was.

LOL..........interesting point, Franks was a perfect fit at LSU given their history of developing the QB position..............the biggest chink in their armor. :p
(not that UF has done much there in the past 10 years) :(

How about you cite all the posts claiming Trask can't throw or never played? Just about everything you post is some dumb straw man or some closeted reference.

More Fake News from another in the circle of jerk haters.
Nothing new or worthwhile from them imo.
They have always given fair and unbiased appraisals of both Trask and Allen.. :rolleyes:

~ If he could run a spread, given he's a much better passer than the other kid was, he'd have fit and started.
>>> So the logical conclusion (ignored that Trask film yet again I guess) is that the other kid was so much more athletic (no, he had a 4.4/40 and he was going against HS defenses) than Trask that his passing wasn't even worth it. If Trask's (17 TD's to ZERO Ints) athleticism was a liability in HS how would it not be in the SEC? (btw, the other kid is NOT in the SEC) Either that or the coach was so stupid he kept a better fit on the bench.(that coach played Trask in the 3rd and 7th possessions. Why don't you ever quote that HS coach on Trask?) And its not like that kid is a high level QB, in fact very few schools offered him as a QB which is why he went to Houston. (because his physical size was HS, not college) So if a low level, non-power 5 QB was a better fit for a spread, where's the logic that says actual highly recruited QB's that we have won't also be a better fit?

You and they, are what you are, and only a fool wouldn't see it. o_O
Sorry, but I'm no fool for the jerk haters... :cool:

Last edited:
So no posts claiming Task couldn't throw or never played? That's what I thought. Caught lying again. Go get probed dummy.

So no posts claiming Task couldn't throw or never played? That's what I thought. Caught lying again. Go get probed dummy.

The moe-ron that's hoping that the fools will buy his 'technical' excuses over his obvious biased/ignorant hater rants against both Trask and Allen.
The film that I've posted several times puts the lie to your own constant hater BS. Live with it, biased hater jerk... o_O

First off, I haven't mentioned Allen at all. Secondly, nobody hates Trask. You can be pissy all you want about nobody buying your outright lies like him being faster than Tebow or Prescott but that's a you problem. You've done things like claim he ran a 4.6 in the past when the only two times he's been timed he ran north of 4.9 both times. You've also inflated his height and weight in the past which is in itself creepy. You're so obsessed with propping him up over every other QB that you feel the need to outright lie but everybody else is biased? Are you really that dumb? Don't answer we all know.

And lmao@ technical breakdown. You don't know your ass from your elbow who gives a damn about your breakdown? Here's my breakdown for you...not a single Power 5 coach apart from Nuss offered Trask a scholarship. Maybe they're all biased haters too, clearly you know more than them.

This is such a silly argument.

Unless the guy has gotten significantly faster, the multiple services have him running close to a 5.0 forty. That’s awful.

Some of you guys are just wishful thinking when it comes to that, which I understand, it’s been a rough decade, but you might as well be saying that Emory Jones is really 6’6” and and the services just have it wrong.

It’s silly.

First off, I haven't mentioned Allen at all. Secondly, nobody hates Trask. You can be pissy all you want about nobody buying your outright lies like him being faster than Tebow or Prescott but that's a you problem. You've done things like claim he ran a 4.6 in the past when the only two times he's been timed he ran north of 4.9 both times. You've also inflated his height and weight in the past which is in itself creepy. You're so obsessed with propping him up over every other QB that you feel the need to outright lie but everybody else is biased? Are you really that dumb? Don't answer we all know.

And lmao@ technical breakdown. You don't know your ass from your elbow who gives a damn about your breakdown? Here's my breakdown for you...not a single Power 5 coach apart from Nuss offered Trask a scholarship. Maybe they're all biased haters too, clearly you know more than them.

I love the logic that says “Doug Nussmeier called him better than any 5 star he’s seen! I’ll take his expertise over any message board or recruiting site mo-Ron.”

Followed by “the coaches are playing favorites and not giving Trask the same chance as the other guys.”

The same coaches that were the only power 5 school that even wanted him? The same coaches that we pretty much all agree are idiots and don’t know a damned thing about QBs and offense?

Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT