ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else think that Franks starts the 18 season?

With the new red shirt rule I'm interested to see if this will change anything the 1st 4 games.

Certainly, Mullen's offense seems to run best with, not just a running quarterback, but a physical running quarterback, Tebow, Dak, Fitzgerald. Franks doesn't run like that, but he is an athlete. He's probably faster and has a better arm than those guys. I think Mullen will find a way to move the ball with one of those guys.

Maybe there is an incoming 6-7, 255 lb TE who runs a 4.5 and is also a pitcher that we could convert to QB.

Reactions: g8rbass94
With the new red shirt rule I'm interested to see if this will change anything the 1st 4 games.

It could also change things in the last 4 games,,, or 2 early and 2 late depending on the circumstances.

The NCAA passed a new rule on Wednesday, allowing players to play in up to four games in a season and still obtain a redshirt. Too bad it's not a retro-rule to the 2017 season. Only one Gator would have qualified, but it would have been nice to see him get it due to his very limited opportunity at the end of the season.

WR Daquon Green
is the only one who would have gotten a redshirt based on the new rule. He saw action in two games (UAB & FSU) during the 2017 season, making him a 2018 sophomore. Had the new NCAA rules applied last year, he would now be a rsFr, preserving 4 years of eligibility rather than 3 he now has. (those A-holes burned his rs for 0 receptions)

A pretty good write up on the new rule can be found here:
https://247sports.com/college/flori...e-gives-coaches-more-time-for-eval-119024106/

Phil Steele
has long been my favorite among the media-morons, especially in the preseason previews. ;)
So, what's Phil got to say in the early summer preseason this year?
He's named Florida as his 'Most Improved Team' for 2018, in both the SEC and Nation.
>>> he missed on (0-8) tennis-sea in the SEC I think. -- UF was 3-5, but he might be right in the (4-8) Nation.

Well, of the 'BIG' boys, UF prolly had the most ground to cover to move back into National contention. So while he's correct in my estimation, it's not really a big leap to come up with that opinion. :cool:

He believes all the misfortune suffered by the Gators in 2017 is unlikely to occur again and has faith that the program hired a coach capable of getting his team to overachieve this year. (I sure hope so) o_O

In his own words: “I think if it could go wrong, it went wrong last year for Florida. The suspended players, the injuries, losing the coach and now they get a head coach in Dan Mullen stepping in there who has always overachieved my expectations. To be honest with you, I’ve always picked Mississippi State sixth or seventh in the West, they always finish higher. I think Mullen, when he inherits 19 returning starters, will have Florida playing much better ball this year.”

The Gator's chances of making it to Hotlanta this season will likely rest on upsetting the leghumpers in Jax, while taking care of business in their other 'winnable' SECe games. -- iG

Phile Steele is smoking that wacky weed again when it comes to us this year. Heck Miss State and LSU will be likely losses due the QBs that will be playing in those games.

Phile Steele is smoking that wacky weed again when it comes to us this year. Heck Miss State and LSU will be likely losses due the QBs that will be playing in those games.

Their QB's or ours? I ask, because I'm wondering if you're dissing on the Gator QB's, or on the Gator defense??? :cool: --- Both their's and our's maybe? :confused:

Did your Crystal Ball tell you who the Gator QB(s) will be,,,, and how he(they) will play in games 5-6 this year. Must be a really well made crystal ball if so.... :rolleyes:

And did it give you a QB(s) name(s) and his(their) stats for those 2 games, along with how the rest of the team will play? (or is it more likely that you are you just yappin' outta your arse again?) o_O
What does it tell you the W/L record for the 2018 season is likely to be?

Nuttin personal, just having some off season fun, :D like the off season pre-dic-tors.... ;)

Their QB's or ours? I ask, because I'm wondering if you're dissing on the Gator QB's, or on the Gator defense??? :cool: --- Both their's and our's maybe? :confused:

Did your Crystal Ball tell you who the Gator QB(s) will be,,,, and how he(they) will play in games 5-6 this year. Must be a really well made crystal ball if so.... :rolleyes:

And did it give you a QB(s) name(s) and his(their) stats for those 2 games, along with how the rest of the team will play? (or is it more likely that you are you just yappin' outta your arse again?) o_O
What does it tell you the W/L record for the 2018 season is likely to be?

Nuttin personal, just having some off season fun, :D like the off season pre-dic-tors.... ;)

My crystal ball says barring injuries for the opposing team's QB that QB could be the primary reason we lose to any of these opponents:

KY, Miss St, SC, LSU and FSU.

GA will probably just out talent us this year but we do have a history of beating them despite any talent gap.

And what part of the Gator defense do you see the other teams QB's beating?
DL
LB
DB
Coaching

And what part of the Gator defense do you see the other teams QB's beating?
DL
LB
DB
Coaching

LB is definitely not close to usual standards.

DL will be decent but not elite. We will have to see how much the new system can hide the lack of talent at LB.

I would say the QB on GA, LSU, Miss State and SC will be better than Franks and its up in the air now with KYs and FSUs QB.

LB is definitely not close to usual standards.

DL will be decent but not elite. We will have to see how much the new system can hide the lack of talent at LB.

I would say the QB on GA, LSU, Miss State and SC will be better than Franks and its up in the air now with KYs and FSUs QB.

So, you're sure that Franks will be the Gator QB,,, and the QB will suck because of the poor coaching from Mullen and Johnson. Gotcha. (but sorry, I'm not buying either of those) :cool:

CB's Wilson and Henderson are already being called by some, the best CB pair in the SEC, maybe in the nation, and they are 6-7 deep at CB.

Safety is right there too, with Gardener-Johnson and J.Taylor at FS, and Q.Lenton with FNG A.Burney and/or J.Huggins at SS with 7 deep.

And having no size, quality, or depth at LB will surely kill the Gator Defense.
ILB's
Rayshad Jackson 6-2 253 rsSr
David Reese 6-1 239 Jr - so bad he's likely to be an E-D to the NFL

James Houston IV 6-1 226 rsFr
Lacedrick Brunson 6-1 229 rsFr
Andrew Chatfield Jr 6-2 243 Fr ****
Offers: UF - Ark-UK-LSU-MsSt-TN--FSU-Mia-MichSt-ND-tOSU-VaT

OLB
Kylan Johnson 6-2 236 rsJr (OLB/ILB)
Jahim Lawrence 6-0 224 rsJr
Vosean Joseph 6-1 227 Jr
Jeremiah Moon 6-6 228 rsSo
Nick Smith 6-1 213 rsFr
Ventrell Miller 5-11 222 rsFr
David Reese 6-2 220 Fr ****
Offers: UF - UGA-MsSt--FSU-Mia-Mich-Pitt-UCF-UL
-----

SS-OLB Amari Burney 6-1 224 Fr ****
Offers: UF - Ark-AU-UK-Ms-TN--FSU-Mia-Mich-Neb-tOSU-VaT-Wis

=====

5 experienced DT's
7 experienced DE's, with 2 FNG's (9)
That's 14 on the DL with 4-5 stars among them.
=============

While there is sure to be some adjustments, and none of them are perfect, no matter the ranking or offer lists, the Gator D looks to be very solid to me and they will be getting better quickly across the season. Much up side there.
My cup is 3/4 full, not half empty... :)

Last edited:

That could very well be true Fev... :cool:

But will they be better than the Trask / E.Jones combo is the real question? ;)

Well, what if neither Franks nor Trask pans out as the Gator QB in the coming years? For everyone else, keeping up with the future Gator Joneses' might just become a real bee-ach... o_O

Emory 6-2 192 is so tough that he played both ways in HS.

==========

Everybody has a better QB than Dan has in the 2019 class.... :rolleyes:

He was a 3 star, but after his Jr season and Dan's offer, he's now a 4 star. :p

#7 QB-dt Jalen Jones 6-3 205 **** (247)
Jr Season - 13-0 Maryland IAA A-Conf. State Champs
Passing - 1,025 yds, 11 TD's, 1 Int.
Rushing - 819 yds, 9 TD's
GEICO HS Bowl Series on ESPN, St Francis 41 - 3 Utah 6A Champ Bingham

Jalen's DNA
Father - LB 1989 Team Captain for 11-1 Colorado
Mother - 1994 NCAA Woman of the Year
4X NCAA high jump Champion from 1991-93 at Arizona
Finished 11th at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain
Gold Metal at the 1993 World University Games.
Older Sister - Offered a ship and committed to UNC in the 8th grade for basketball.
2017-18 rsFr at UNC - played in all 31 games averaging 4.7 Pts, 4.0 RBs in 15.5 MPG's.

That could very well be true Fev... :cool:

But will they be better than the Trask / E.Jones combo is the real question? ;)

Well, what if neither Franks nor Trask pans out as the Gator QB in the coming years? For everyone else, keeping up with the future Gator Joneses' might just become a real bee-ach... o_O

Emory 6-2 192 is so tough that he played both ways in HS.

==========

Everybody has a better QB than Dan has in the 2019 class.... :rolleyes:

He was a 3 star, but after his Jr season and Dan's offer, he's now a 4 star. :p

#7 QB-dt Jalen Jones 6-3 205 **** (247)
Jr Season - 13-0 Maryland IAA A-Conf. State Champs
Passing - 1,025 yds, 11 TD's, 1 Int.
Rushing - 819 yds, 9 TD's
GEICO HS Bowl Series on ESPN, St Francis 41 - 3 Utah 6A Champ Bingham

Jalen's DNA
Father - LB 1989 Team Captain for 11-1 Colorado
Mother - 1994 NCAA Woman of the Year
4X NCAA high jump Champion from 1991-93 at Arizona
Finished 11th at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain
Gold Metal at the 1993 World University Games.
Older Sister - Offered a ship and committed to UNC in the 8th grade for basketball.
2017-18 rsFr at UNC - played in all 31 games averaging 4.7 Pts, 4.0 RBs in 15.5 MPG's.

He would have to be a quick learner to be good this season but it won't surprise me if he takes over by mid season.

He would have to be a quick learner to be good this season but it won't surprise me if he takes over by mid season.

Not saying Emory will, but it's certainly not impossible.
Leak was the tFr starter for the (no offensive genius) Zookster in 2003.
Beat 2003 NC LSU in Death Valley.
Then beat #11 Ar-kansas in their house.
Then beat #4 UGly in Jax. --- and did that in consecutive games.
Finished with the best winning % for Fr QB's in the Nation.
Went 6-1 vs SEC, and 3-1 vs Top 15 Teams.

The nice thing for Emory, is he has Dan, Johnson, & Trask to help ease him into the job, and that's only if Trask doesn't keep the starting for himself, with Emory playing the 18% Tebow roll.

2006 Leak + Tebow = BCS-NC

2018 Trask + E.Jones = ?????

The ole 1-2 punch works for me,,, most times... :cool:

I think we would all be shocked if Emory came in to the first game with a full handle on everything, but if Mullen thinks it's even close, then he should go with Jones.

As of now, he's the "future" of this offense, and worth the way we've seen freshmen, even in the SEC, play lately, has been at a higher level than we'be been used to, even 10 years ago.

If not, I think you have to give Trask a try and get Jones as much playing time as possible at least to gauge it.

If he trots Franks out there, he better look really good because I'm not sure there's a fan out there that wants to see more of him (which may be unfair but after 8 years of miserable QB play, that's just the way it is.)

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I think we would all be shocked if Emory came in to the first game with a full handle on everything, but if Mullen thinks it's even close, then he should go with Jones.

As of now, he's the "future" of this offense, and worth the way we've seen freshmen, even in the SEC, play lately, has been at a higher level than we'be been used to, even 10 years ago.

If not, I think you have to give Trask a try and get Jones as much playing time as possible at least to gauge it.

If he trots Franks out there, he better look really good because I'm not sure there's a fan out there that wants to see more of him (which may be unfair but after 8 years of miserable QB play, that's just the way it is.)

I kind of see it that way also. My prediction is Franks looks good against our first joke opponent and then comes back down to earth big time against KY putting the outcome of the game up for grabs. A loss there and the coach probably yanks him from the starting role.

I think this will be like 2014 where people got there hopes up because we blew out a lesser opponent and then we came back to reality very quickly in that 2nd game.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aa-football-ea-sports-lives-five-years-demise

Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks was amazed when his brother showed him how to download the updated rosters. When he played as himself, however, he had a sinking feeling. His rating was in the low 60s.

"I was garbage," he said, laughing. "They had me rated so low I didn't want to play."

Feleipe Franks wasn't happy with his player rating when he first played the game.

The redshirt sophomore is determined to improve upon that rating in future updates.
"I need to get them numbers up," he said.
-----------------------------

I guess with these young guys it sometimes takes a video game to make them realize what the true reality is.

I have believed that Trask will be the starter since the Spring game.
Of the 3 ship QB's remaining on the roster, he performed the best.
Now, even some of the media-morons are starting to accept that as being likely.
I only see Franks playing if both Trask and Jones stink it up or get injured. o_O

For now, Dan has stated that NOBODY has already nailed down the starting QB job.
That fact alone should be a wake up call on who has the 'inside' track to begin Fall practice.
If the previous starter has not already been declared the starter, then he's not likely to be.
Beginning now, it's Trask's job to lose,,, or better yet, to solidify and win. :cool:

I have believed that Trask will be the starter since the Spring game.
Of the 3 ship QB's remaining on the roster, he performed the best.
Now, even some of the media-morons are starting to accept that as being likely.
I only see Franks playing if both Trask and Jones stink it up or get injured. o_O

For now, Dan has stated that NOBODY has already nailed down the starting QB job.
That fact alone should be a wake up call on who has the 'inside' track to begin Fall practice.
If the previous starter has not already been declared the starter, then he's not likely to be.
Beginning now, it's Trask's job to lose,,, or better yet, to solidify and win. :cool:

Not sure because there is a slim chance I guess Franks might wakeup upstairs I guess. I have a feeling Mullen will start him but the question is what does Mullen do if he starts his mess in the KY game. Look for Franks to have big numbers against that joke opening opponent giving people false hope. It may be a repeat of the 2014 season with Driskel.

I give Dan and his staff more credit on being able to choose a QB than the previous clueless losers.

When are people ever going to finally Wake-TF-up? o_O

Franks has sucked since his HS bowl game.
He has been given the silver spoon in his mouth for 3 years already, and with little help, Trask has still out-performed him in all 3 Spring games. :oops:

Being Blind-Stupid does not cover it so far imoho! :cool:

If Franks starts again this season, it will be proof positive to me that there really is a N.FL Mafia that's in charge of UF player decisions, and that there's a horse somewhere that's missing his head... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Franks doesn't start. It could be tough to watch and I wont' be surprised if he's yanked at halftime here or there. It seems the most likely scenario that by game 8-9 we find out who the real QB will be. There's probably be 3 differing starters this year.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I'd be surprised if Franks doesn't start. It could be tough to watch and I wont' be surprised if he's yanked at halftime here or there. It seems the most likely scenario that by game 8-9 we find out who the real QB will be. There's probably be 3 differing starters this year.

If Franks starts, my estimate (WAG) for the 2018 W/L will go down from 8-9 to 6-7. :confused:
Franks has had more than his 'fair' chance to start already, so give the other guy at shot at the job. IF he sucks, then put Jones in (can't be any worse). If he can't handle it, then Franks or anyone else can finish out the season while we wait on the next incoming FNG to take a shot at it. (Dark horse wildcards and/or wildcats - Sproles-Toney or even Jaylin Jackson 5-9 160) o_O

If that cluster plays out (gawd-forbid), then both Franks and Trask can both xfer out and the 2 Jones'es can have a go in 2019, along with anyone else that they can bring in.... :cool:

I don't care who the QB is, but from reading and listening to Mullen's comments he doesn't seem pleased with their progress from spring to fall. There is more talent around the QB than in recent years, the strength & conditioning appears to be much better and I'm positive the play calling will be improved. It's just finding the guy who can make split second decisions under pressure, execute the simple plays and avoid bonehead plays. I have to trust in Mullen at this point and see what happens.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I don't care who the QB is, but from reading and listening to Mullen's comments he doesn't seem pleased with their progress from spring to fall. There is more talent around the QB than in recent years, the strength & conditioning appears to be much better and I'm positive the play calling will be improved. It's just finding the guy who can make split second decisions under pressure, execute the simple plays and avoid bonehead plays. I have to trust in Mullen at this point and see what happens.

Well the likely starter has never shown that ability and the others are unknowns at this point. Just basing things off some of those spring game plays I tend to think Trask would be smarter with the football but you never know until they are put in that situation. As far as Jones they weren't giving him anything in the scrimmage with the ones or twos hardly so we probably won't have him for a starter option until a few games have been played.

He’s such a douchebag. Unimaginable that he was our qb and Mac was our coach. Dark days for Gator fans. So he just stands there in front of a wall and blathers for 33 minutes? Good stuff.
If McElwain hadn't mishandled the Will Grier situation we would have an All American at QB.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Yea but McElwain might still be here, I’ll take that sacrifice any day of the week. Having to look at that pig and his yellow teeth one more game may have made me swear off UF football at least until he was gone. Especially once he broke down in tears after another lucky win against some scrub team.

He’s such a douchebag. Unimaginable that he was our qb and Mac was our coach. Dark days for Gator fans. So he just stands there in front of a wall and blathers for 33 minutes? Good stuff.

Never could stand him even besides him always pushing his politics. Hard to believe he isn't even a graduate assistant somewhere now apparently. They probably didn't want him and all the talking he does on certain things.

I always took JDR to probably be one of those fathers that would put a kid in their place quick but its obvious LDR wasn't raised that way.

ocala, don't go review Greirs W/L or QB stats for 2017, or that WG bubble will burst in a NY second... ;)

Lol yeah okay that's why WVU had their record.

That's why he's a preseason all-American.

That's why he's going to be a high draft pick unless something ansurd happens.

But you keep on with your moral absurdity about how he "betrayed the team."

Over taking some GNC shit.

Well done hero boy.

God it would be incredible If that Eagle Scout of yours ever screwed up.

The excuses you would make.

Yea but McElwain might still be here, I’ll take that sacrifice any day of the week. Having to look at that pig and his yellow teeth one more game may have made me swear off UF football at least until he was gone. Especially once he broke down in tears after another lucky win against some scrub team.

Oddly, I don't think he would be.

Mac may still be fired.

And if I recall, you were pretty down on Grier's stats while he was here.

Oddly, I don't think he would be.

Mac may still be fired.

And if I recall, you were pretty down on Grier's stats while he was here.

Nah I was down on the offense as a whole, I loved Grier and his potential. My entire point back then used to be is that the offense largely sucked with Grier too, which pointed to coaching. Everyone wanted to pretend the offense just wasn't good because of Treon, or Appleby, or whoever. Grier exploded against Ole Miss, but other than that game the offense sucked with even him. That's how bad the system and Nuss were.

Nah I was down on the offense as a whole, I loved Grier and his potential. My entire point back then used to be is that the offense largely sucked with Grier too, which pointed to coaching. Everyone wanted to pretend the offense just wasn't good because of Treon, or Appleby, or whoever. Grier exploded against Ole Miss, but other than that game the offense sucked with even him. That's how bad the system and Nuss were.

Fair enough. And I do remember you saying that, to a degree, but I was all in on Grier, and knew he would be awesome, so I probably took it as you saying that Treon was pretty much as good as him.

Point is....why God why didn't I get to enjoy the bearded gunslinger who wore the number 7 at Florida?

Damnit.

Fair enough. And I do remember you saying that, to a degree, but I was all in on Grier, and knew he would be awesome, so I probably took it as you saying that Treon was pretty much as good as him.

Point is....why God why didn't I get to enjoy the bearded gunslinger who wore the number 7 at Florida?

Damnit.

Because Mac. I’ve never disliked a coach more. Was a phony from day one. Kinda weird to think that the QB’s who might end up being the best NFL players to come through here either didn’t play or barely played for one reason or another.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

We are going to run the ball 65-70% of the time anyways. We are loaded at RB. The oline is better at run blocking than pass protection and the QB is going to run the ball as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT