ADVERTISEMENT

5-star RB Zachary Evans sets UF official visit date

Going back to before E.Smith, every RB that's been a starter at UF, has gone on to get his shot in the NFL. Some make it and some don't, but they ALL got their shot. o_O

Just a few of the old time greats:

James Jones - Lions
John L Williams - Seahawks
Neal Anderson - Bears
Emmitt Smith - Cowboys
Errict Rhett - Buccaneers
Fred Taylor - Jaguars
And every Gator starter since....

More Recently:
Ciatrick Fason - Vikings
Matt Jones - Redskins
Kelvin Taylor - SF 49'ers
Jordan Scarlett - Panthers
Lamical Perine - yet to be determined.... :cool:

Reactions: rdgtr
Going back to before E.Smith, every RB that's been a starter at UF, has gone on to get his shot in the NFL. Some make it and some don't, but they ALL got their shot. o_O

Just a few of the old time greats:

James Jones - Lions
John L Williams - Seahawks
Neal Anderson - Bears
Emmitt Smith - Cowboys
Errict Rhett - Buccaneers
Fred Taylor - Jaguars
And every Gator starter since....

More Recently:
Ciatrick Fason - Vikings
Matt Jones - Redskins
Kelvin Taylor - SF 49'ers
Jordan Scarlett - Panthers
Lamical Perine - yet to be determined.... :cool:
Even
Mack Brown- Skins/Vikings
Earnest Graham- Bucs
Brandon James- Colts
Emmanuel Moody- Bills
Robert Gillispie- Skins/Jags

Taylor was a stud. Playing in Jax hurt his marketability and how good he really was because it was a smaller market, etc.

Taylor was way underrated in college because we had like 3 top shelf RBs at the time: him, Jackson and Elijah (something)...I think. Correct me please. All 3 were legit - in fact Jackson was so talented that he ended up playing LB in the NFL after college lol.

Then in the NFL he carried the Jags...guy was a legit monster on the FFL scene for a season or so.

Guy was crazy good at both levels but underrated - kind of funny.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Taylor was way underrated in college because we had like 3 top shelf RBs at the time: him, Jackson and Elijah (something)...I think. Correct me please. All 3 were legit - in fact Jackson was so talented that he ended up playing LB in the NFL after college lol.

Then in the NFL he carried the Jags...guy was a legit monster on the FFL scene for a season or so.

Yes we had Taylor, Terry Jackson and Elijah Williams. With that being said Taylor was underutilized even by Spurrier. He was a much better RB than both Jackson and Williams. Terry Jackson did not play LBer in the NFL. He played fullback and had some good year with the 49ers.

Yes we had Taylor, Terry Jackson and Elijah Williams. With that being said Taylor was underutilized even by Spurrier. He was a much better RB than both Jackson and Williams. Terry Jackson did not play LBer in the NFL. He played fullback and had some good year with the 49ers.
Just imagine in 1997. If Spurrier had given Fred Taylor unlimited carries against LSU and Georgia, we would have witnessed a rematch with Nebraska rather than going to the Citrus Bowl.:(

Taylor's 1997 Sr 'team captain' season at UF, 214 for 1,292 yards, 6.0 ypc, with 13 TD's.
He finished his UF career as the season MVP and #4 on UF's all time RB list.
He was elected to the FL / GA HoF in 2008.
He was elected to the FL HoF as a Gator Great in 2010.

Fred Taylor was the 1/9 pick by the jags.
He played 13 NFL seasons and ended as part of the NFL's 10,000 yard club.
NFL Career: 153 Games - 7 1,000+ yard seasons.
Rushing - 2,534 carries, 11,695 yds, 4.6 ypc, L-80, 66 TD's, to just 14 LPF.
Receiving - 290 receptions, 2,384 yds, 8.2 yds/rec, 8 TD's, L-78
As of 2017's NFL off-season, Taylor held at least 42 Jaguars franchise records.
On June 7, 2012, Taylor was the 2nd player inducted into the Pride of the Jaguars

RB Eli Williams switched to CB his Sr season and was drafted to the Falcons as a CB.
FB E. McCasslin switched to LB his Sr season and was drafted to the Packers as a LB.

As Insta pointed out, you are thinking of Eugene McCaslin he moved to LBer at UF and made a NFL roster. Terry Jackson played FB/RB his entire career in college and NFL.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — University of Florida football head coach Urban Meyer announced the hiring of former Gator Great Terry Jackson to the Gator football staff Monday. Jackson, a member of UF’s 1996 National Championship team and 7-year veteran of the NFL, was named Director of Player and Community Relations.

“Terry is a great addition to our football staff,” Meyer said. “He is someone who is very committed and loyal to The Gator Nation and a great ambassador for our football program. He will be a tremendous mentor, leader and role model for our players. He has excelled at every endeavor – from serving as Student Body Vice- President and playing on the 1996 National Championship to his career in the NFL. He is deeply rooted in the local community and we are excited to have him join our staff.”
-----
Terry was a backup RB/FB for the 49'ers, but he kept his job by being a ST's monster as a kicking game gunner. His locker room attitude and his excellent special teams play made him a lot of NFL money. -- iG -- I don't know what he's doing now days.
A nice write up on him here if you're interested.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-football/terry_jackson_joins_gator_football_staff/

247 Crystal Ball

There are 4 schools listed as 'warm' for him:

00 - MS - 9 RB, 0 commits, visit Jan 17th 20
00 - TN - 4 RB, 0 commits, visit Jan 24th 20
10% - aTm - 2 RB, 0 commits, visit Nov 15th 19
17% - UF - 5 RB, 1 commit, visit Mar 20 -- cancel due to Co-V, reschedule?
---
28% - UGA -, but he de-committed after an ESD LOI was released.
45% - Undecided

247 Evaluation

Dynamically athletic RB with prototype size and frame potential relative to the position. Owns college-ready build with frame space to add more bulk. Flashes elite athleticism verified in combine testing environment. Makes it look easy, sometimes to the point that it's deceptive. Shows great top-end speed and outstanding close-quarters lateral mobility confirmed by a 3.91 shuttle. Flashes devastating start-stop-start ability in close quarters, coupled with impressive hesitation stutter. Effortlessly strings moves together in the open field to elude multiple defenders. Chameleon in ability to alter running styles, going from elusive darter to hole-punching, straight-line galloper. Home run hitter with high-volume capability. Patient and presses the line of scrimmage to set up blocks.
-----
Size and strength potential could provide high ceiling in blitz pickup. At times dances in the backfield rather than accelerating through the hole. Sometimes an upright runner who presents a bigger target. Doesn't always finish runs with expected strength. Will try to bounce runs too often. Could get on the field immediately at high-major level and become a Power 5 star, in addition to first-round NFL Draft ceiling.

So as with any recruit, there's some good and some not so good....
In iG's opinion, UF's chances improved with Dan's hiring of Tim Brewster who's had a long term relationship with Evans, but that's just another opinion, not anything close to a solid prediction.
The good for UF/Dan/Us is that we're okay at RB either way.

Evans is the first five-star recruit to choose TCU in the modern recruiting era, and he's also the highest-ranked prospect to ever sign with the program. o_O
He'll be an immediate starter for a 2019 5 win team.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-zachary-evans-ends-saga-by-enrolling-at-tcu/

Congrats to TCU, but I can say that I'm not really sorry that he didn't come to UF.
He could have been a decent RB,,, IF he could have overcome his many off the field problems.
He was a 'risk-reward' kind of recruit from the get-go. :cool:

Looks all the boys staying quarantined is making them want to stay at home to play ball.

Evans is the first five-star recruit to choose TCU in the modern recruiting era, and he's also the highest-ranked prospect to ever sign with the program. o_O

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-zachary-evans-ends-saga-by-enrolling-at-tcu/

Congrats to TCU, but I can say that I'm not really sorry that he didn't come to UF.
He could have been a decent RB,,, IF he could have overcome his many off the field problems.
He was a 'risk-reward' kind of recruit from the get-go. :cool:

This is rich.

He was a 'risk-reward' kind of recruit from the get-go.
:cool:

This is rich.

5-star #2 RB Lingard got his NCAA waiver to play at UF in 2020.

Evans would have likely road the bench and taken a redshirt at UF.
At TCU, he is the celebrated 5-star starter as a Fr.
The Gator's are fine without him, and he probably did the best thing for him by going to TCU,,, I wish him well. :cool:
(you on the other hand, are the clueless twit that I thought you were) :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT