ADVERTISEMENT

5-star RB Zachary Evans sets UF official visit date

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
The previous thread on Zach Evans was so off subject I felt that it had been hijacked !

Boiled down, the thread had degenerated into a bunch of Butt-Sniffers barking about the Same Ole Stuff; basically just a cry for attention - nothing about recruiting the last uncommitted 5* player in the 2020 cycle.

From 247 sports - https://247sports.com/college/flori...a-Gators-recruiting-official-visit-144018266/

"...This will be Evans' first time visiting The Swamp, and the Gators will look to make a strong impression. He's been in heavy talks with Florida running backs coach Greg Knox and Texas area recruiter Brian Johnson along with new Florida assistant coach Tim Brewster, who has a strong relationship with Evans dating back a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdgtr and GatorGray
The Florida Gators will receive an official visit from top 2020 running back prospect Zachary Evans on March 20th, he stated over Instagram live. 247Sports' Blake Alderman confirmed Evans' official visit day in a report.

"...During his senior season at North Shore (Houston, TX), Evans tallied a whopping 1600 yards and 20 touchdowns on 167 rushing attempts in 2019.

Evans, a track athlete, also owns a personal record of 11.39 seconds in the 100-meter dash. At 5-11, 200 lbs., Evans posted a 4.51 40 yard dash, a 3.84-second shuttle (testing lateral agility), and a 37.2" vertical at The Opening Regional last year."
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...achary-evans-schedules-official-visit-florida

The Florida Gators will receive an official visit from top 2020 running back prospect Zachary Evans on March 20th, he stated over Instagram live. 247Sports' Blake Alderman confirmed Evans' official visit day in a report.

"...During his senior season at North Shore (Houston, TX), Evans tallied a whopping 1600 yards and 20 touchdowns on 167 rushing attempts in 2019.

Evans, a track athlete, also owns a personal record of 11.39 seconds in the 100-meter dash. At 5-11, 200 lbs., Evans posted a 4.51 40 yard dash, a 3.84-second shuttle (testing lateral agility), and a 37.2" vertical at The Opening Regional last year."
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...achary-evans-schedules-official-visit-florida
I heard it said he couldn’t sign another LOI since he had signed one with Georgia. Do you know what his eligibility status would be? Would he have to wait until Spring? We moved on but I don’t want to see him in the SECE.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I heard it said he couldn’t sign another LOI since he had signed one with Georgia. Do you know what his eligibility status would be? Would he have to wait until Spring? We moved on but I don’t want to see him in the SECE.

Per SI:
"A full release from Smart's staff means programs within the conference are able to recruit him without eligibility restriction or delay."

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/zach-evans-released-from-letter-of-intent

Last edited:
If he chooses UF we will have a pair of 5 stars at RB. How will the fleas spin that to we have no talent at RB? It will be interesting to watch them if things do go that way.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator

GwinnettDawg,

Similiar issue came up with Leonard Manuel.

Several sports information sites have said the same thing - you can only sign 1 NLI.

What I have been told is that Evans would sign a scholarship agreement with the school he chooses rather then a letter of intent.

I was not completely sure what the difference is, but here is what I found out.

"...Athletic Aid Agreements are Athletic Scholarship Contracts
Most athletes think a National Letter of Intent is your scholarship. That is not the case. The actual scholarship contract is known as an Athletic Aid Agreement. This contract outlines how much your scholarship will be worth and covers what you must do in order to keep your scholarship. Each school is slightly different, but below is an explanation of each section of these contracts.

Conditions for Athletic Scholarship Eligibility
You need to be a student of the school, meet the NCAA eligibility standards and also meet the guidelines set forth by each school’s student athlete handbook. The conditions section covers a wide range of topics from NCAA eligibility to meeting the strength and conditioning guidelines. Most of the terms in this section cover what you must due in order to get your scholarship, not necessarily what you need to do to keep it."
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/example-athletic-aid-agreement.htm

I am not a recruiting "expert" so don't shoot me if I'm wrong !

I did track this article down. According to 247 Sports' Steve Wiltfong., Evans received a "full release, no restrictions," which allows him to join another school and play immediately in 2020.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...d-from-georgia-nli-amid-lsu-texas-am-interest

If he chooses UF we will have a pair of 5 stars at RB. How will the fleas spin that to we have no talent at RB? It will be interesting to watch them if things do go that way.
The fans in some of the public Gators facebook groups I'm in are way worse than those on here. On NSD they were cursing and losing their heads about our "horrendous" and "piss poor" RB roster and RB recruiting. By horrendous and piss poor I actually mean words much worse that they posted but I don't want to post here, lol. Based on some of these fans it's like Mullen signed the #30 recruiting class this cycle.

In my mind he is a luxury. I really like what we have at the rb position. If we get him, great, if we don't we are still in solid shape.

Reactions: instaGATOR

This is correct - essentially he just needs to enroll and he'll be on the team. lol this guys' recruitment has been insane and looks to finish that way.

Here's the spin: Lingard is damaged goods and they didn't want Evans in the first place - they had better options lol.

Lingard is essentially a 3 star now and Evans won't be on the team, if he makes it in, in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I think the 2020 Gators are already good with the 4 returning RBs, Pierce, Davis, Clement, & Wright. Anything else is just icing on the RB cake.

And if Dan is recruiting Evans now, then I'll have to trust him until I can see for myself that Evans is/was a mistake.

IF Evans comes to UF, then here's to hoping that he becomes an Elam type, and not a Steele....
==========

When the Gator's got Kaiir (4-star), and Steele (5-star) bailed out, I said then that I believed that Elam was the better student/athlete/citizen o_O and that I wouldn't miss Steele because of him. The thing is, Kaiir has actually turned out to be even better than I thought he was at the time. (FYI, RB Nay'Quan Wright is an Elam kind of guy) :)
~ When I'm correct, nobody remembers, but when I'm not, nobody forgets... :cool:

https://floridagators.com/news/2020...in-elam-wants-more-as-a-rising-sophomore.aspx

Last edited:
I hope Mullen told him one strike and he is out. Bad history with this kid
For one this kid hasn’t committed or signed with UF. For two what bad history are you talking about? Can you explain please? I agree it has been a very weird recruitment and some flags have been raised, etc. but not sure what you mean by the bad history??

For one this kid hasn’t committed or signed with UF. For two what bad history are you talking about? Can you explain please? I agree it has been a very weird recruitment and some flags have been raised, etc. but not sure what you mean by the bad history??
He’s a primadonna. But then so are 90% of the elite recruits and this kid had the rare high school coach that held him accountable. If the other 5star kids had Evans’ coach most of them would have the same red flags. It’s total bullshit to rake a kid over the coals and talk about him like he’s a gang member without something substantiating a claim like that. And considering how many of these kids come from rough gang oriented neighborhoods he’s not the first or last kid that would be affiliated with a gang either. You are giving kids like that an opportunity to get away from that. It’s going to be their choice at the end of the day. Even if Evans is affiliated with a gang and fans want to hold that against him then be consistent and turn your back on every player with a hint of that type of involvement.

Just a BTW football note, not worth a thread of it's own imo.

March 16th -- Spring practice begins.

March 16, 22, & April 2 will be open to the general public.

April 18th -- The Orange & Blue game.

Last edited:
He’s a primadonna. But then so are 90% of the elite recruits and this kid had the rare high school coach that held him accountable. If the other 5star kids had Evans’ coach most of them would have the same red flags. It’s total bullshit to rake a kid over the coals and talk about him like he’s a gang member without something substantiating a claim like that. And considering how many of these kids come from rough gang oriented neighborhoods he’s not the first or last kid that would be affiliated with a gang either. You are giving kids like that an opportunity to get away from that. It’s going to be their choice at the end of the day. Even if Evans is affiliated with a gang and fans want to hold that against him then be consistent and turn your back on every player with a hint of that type of involvement.

Spot on. I certainly do not blame a coach for suspending him for subordination. But claiming he is some thug is just not even remotely true and just garbage being spewed due to rivals inability to sway the kid their way.

Spot on. I certainly do not blame a coach for suspending him for subordination. But claiming he is some thug is just not even remotely true and just garbage being spewed due to rivals inability to sway the kid their way.
This recruitment is beyond strange. Numerous programs have said no thanks.......for a reason despite all his talent.

This recruitment is beyond strange. Numerous programs have said no thanks.......for a reason despite all his talent.

And your program wasn't one of them Bitter Betty.

1. He was the top back on your board and you recruited him heavily even after teams like Bama stopped.
2. You took his commitment.
3. Even after he decided he wanted out you still recruited him heavily and was in daily contact per your biggest recruiting insider Rusty Mansell on twitter.

This recruitment is beyond strange. Numerous programs have offered bags of cash but have yet to get a permanent contract signature from Evans for a reason, despite all of the other forms of signing vigorish on the recruits future performance bet by certain schools.

IF Evans is expecting anything more than a ship from the ONLY school that is Top 10 in both Academics and Sports/Football, then he will be going elsewhere instead of to UF.
(reference sCam Newton, "we're not signing for free this time," before going to AU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT