ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

Yeah I disagree that was a terrible start by Fisher. He hung in there and gave the lineup a chance to win the game. 10ks. Part of the story is that scoring is up everywhere and people are saying the ball is juiced. So it’s all relative. These guys aren’t going to go out there and put up a bunch of zeros. But if they can keep the game tight and turn it over to slater and Neely and let our lineup win the game, thats got to be our formula.

Again. Win one of 2 and turn it over to cags. It’s not the worst gameplan I’ve heard.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Sully agrees:

“but wins are really hard to come by and the whole thing is if Jac (Caglianone) continues to throw like he has and especially pitching against other team's number threes, then you're trying to really split one of the first two in case you get the opportunity to win the series.”

Yeah I disagree that was a terrible start by Fisher. He hung in there and gave the lineup a chance to win the game. 10ks. Part of the story is that scoring is up everywhere and people are saying the ball is juiced. So it’s all relative. These guys aren’t going to go out there and put up a bunch of zeros. But if they can keep the game tight and turn it over to slater and Neely and let our lineup win the game, thats got to be our formula.

Again. Win one of 2 and turn it over to cags. It’s not the worst gameplan I’ve heard.
Sully is trying to build Fisher's confidence, obviously. But he's, also, said several times over the last week or so that our starting pitching has been really bad. Except for the 2nd inning Fisher did pitch well last night. But it's not a good start when you give up 5 runs in the 2nd inning. It's just not. You can't count on your offense scoring 8 runs every outing and his terrible ERA went up to 7.94. That's horrible for your Friday night guy and the worst ERA of any weekend starter in the SEC. No way to rationalize around it. The good thing is that we got the win, Neely looked great after 2 terrible outings and the offense lit up a pitcher who came in wtih an ERA of 0.00.

Sully is trying to build Fisher's confidence, obviously. But he's, also, said several times over the last week or so that our starting pitching has been really bad. Except for the 2nd inning Fisher did pitch well last night. But it's not a good start when you give up 5 runs in the 2nd inning. It's just not. You can't count on your offense scoring 8 runs every outing and his terrible ERA went up to 7.94. That's horrible for your Friday night guy and the worst ERA of any weekend starter in the SEC. No way to rationalize around it. The good thing is that we got the win, Neely looked great after 2 terrible outings and the offense lit up a pitcher who came in wtih an ERA of 0.00.
Yeah I just don’t know what good it is saying “Friday night starter should do such and such…”. What if they don’t? You have to roll with the best guys you have. These guys are young and super talented. Both Peterson and fisher have HUGE upside. Just have to hope they find it and keep us in games until that happens.

Yeah I just don’t know what good it is saying “Friday night starter should do such and such…”. What if they don’t? You have to roll with the best guys you have. These guys are young and super talented. Both Peterson and fisher have HUGE upside. Just have to hope they find it and keep us in games until that happens.
I'm just pointing out what Coach O'Sullivan has been saying for quite a while - that our starting pitching, other than Jac, has been bad and that it has to improve if we're going to have a good season. And the statistics don't lie. We have the worst ERA in the SEC, our relief pitching has been horrendous and no team can rely on an offense scoring 7+ runs a game. I agree that we have a ton of talent and Sully has been mystified as well by how poorly most of them have pitched so far, considering how great they looked in the fall and pre-season. He's a great coach and knows what he's doing, but it doesn't do any good to sugar coat the obvious by saying a pitcher is doing well when he gives up 5 runs in the second inning and has an ERA ofalmost 8. Sully gambled last night by keeping Fisher in the game, possibly for 2 reason: 1. He knows Cade has talent and was trying to build his confidence; 2. He has lost confidence in his bullpen and decided to take a chance on sticking with his starter. It paid off and, hopefully, Fisher will gain some confidence that carries into next weekend @LSU.

I'm just pointing out what Coach O'Sullivan has been saying for quite a while - that our starting pitching, other than Jac, has been bad and that it has to improve if we're going to have a good season. And the statistics don't lie. We have the worst ERA in the SEC, our relief pitching has been horrendous and no team can rely on an offense scoring 7+ runs a game. I agree that we have a ton of talent and Sully has been mystified as well by how poorly most of them have pitched so far, considering how great they looked in the fall and pre-season. He's a great coach and knows what he's doing, but it doesn't do any good to sugar coat the obvious by saying a pitcher is doing well when he gives up 5 runs in the second inning and has an ERA ofalmost 8. Sully gambled last night by keeping Fisher in the game, possibly for 2 reason: 1. He knows Cade has talent and was trying to build his confidence; 2. He has lost confidence in his bullpen and decided to take a chance on sticking with his starter. It paid off and, hopefully, Fisher will gain some confidence that carries into next weekend @LSU.
We should do what Cash did that one season with the Rays. He was starting relievers and letting them pitch the first couple of innings. It was a fascinating strategy and maybe one Sully could try.

Reactions: ocalaman
I mean it’s pretty obvious the pitching hasn’t been good. If anyone’s got ideas about who should be getting innings other than the guys we have, I’d love to hear them.

Maybe the only real discussion is whether Neely should start on Fridays or Saturdays but you see how valuable he is out of the pen.

I mean it’s pretty obvious the pitching hasn’t been good. If anyone’s got ideas about who should be getting innings other than the guys we have, I’d love to hear them.

Maybe the only real discussion is whether Neely should start on Fridays or Saturdays but you see how valuable he is out of the pen.
Good point. Other than Cags they've all blown chunks.

If anyone is watching the game tonight. Peterson throws 6 pitches and we're down 3-0. Our weekend starters are the guys who earned it in the fall and pre-season. You go with what you've got and hope for the best. If anyone was better, Sully would be using them, I think. The SEC season is just starting though and Fisher proved last year that he can pitch well against the best out there. Liam Peterson passed up big money in the MLB draft to come to Florida. Maybe they'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Well, our Saturday starter got 6 outs and gave up 3 home runs before being taken out in the top of the 3rd with 1 on and nobody out.

Yeah Peterson may have to be replaced with Neely or Slater. Or I’d give Fisher Jameson a look. He can pitch midweek and out of the pen. He’s not competitive on Saturday so far.

If we can put up a few zeroes, still plenty of time to win this. Do we have anyone that can do it?

Not many can come right out of high school and be effective at this level. Case in point all the levels that must be navigated to reach the show. time will bear this out.

Not many can come right out of high school and be effective at this level. Case in point all the levels that must be navigated to reach the show. time will bear this out.
Very true. Logan Shore is the best one I can remember. Sully made him the Friday night starter to begin his freshman year and he stayed there for 3 seasons. A battler and very consistent.

Great pitching today and a 2 out, 2 run HR in the bottom of the 8th by Tyler Shelnut leads the Gators to the series win over Texas A&M 4-2. Cags threw 107 pitches in 5.1 innings giving up both Aggie runs. Ryan Slater finished the inning, the Brandon Neely pitched the 7th & 8th, then freshman Luke McNeillie came in for the save to finish out the game.

Great series win. Cags wins his third tough series of the season. Impressive relief all weekend from Neely and then slater. And impressive inning from mcnealie.

Great series win.

I’m interested in who we start tomorrow. I wonder if it might be an audition for Saturday starter.

Posted in the Ticket exchange but if anyone has or knows of three tickets to our matchup next Tuesday the 26th here in Jax I’d be interested in buying them.

UF vs. Jacksonville at 6:30 pm on SEC+. JU is only 7-12. They have won 2 of 3 over Cincinnati, lost to FSU, lost 2 of 3 to Delaware, lost to Georgia Southern, lost 2 of 3 to Ball State, beat Valparaiso, lost to USF, lost 3 to Cal State-Fullerton, lost to Bethune-Cookman, then won 2 of 3 over Stetson. Team BA is .265, slugging .404, 12 HR, 90 BB, 188 K's, 29-34 SB. They are fielding at .970. Team ERA is 6.98, WHIP 1.74, 24 HR, 93 BB, 166 K's, .291 BA against.

Ryan Slater announced as the starter vs. Jacksonville.
Interesting. I wonder if we’re thinking about starting him on the weekends. Seems like he’s been more of a one inning reliever, although a very good one, than Neely.

Interesting. I wonder if we’re thinking about starting him on the weekends. Seems like he’s been more of a one inning reliever, although a very good one, than Neely.
Sully uses multiple pitchers for midweek games and I imagine Slater will be on a pitch count of 40 or so. He's too valuable in his role of middle relief on the weekends to go longer and I seriously doubt he'll start a weekend game. Neely pitched the final 3 innings last Friday and had 2 innings under his belt on Sunday went he had bicep pain and was pulled for the 9th innning. Lack of confidence in his bullpen has caused bringing Neely into games earlier than he was last year. If O'Sullivan is going to switch starters this weekend, it will be Saturday and my guess is that he will start McNeillie if he decides not to use Peterson again.

Another midweek loss, this time to 7-12 Jacksonville. 8 pitchers used by the Gators and only Luke McNeillie was good in middle relief. Terrible hitting with runners in scoring position throughout the game and our guys lost another game they should have won. 12-8 now heading to LSU for the weekend.

Another midweek loss, this time to 7-12 Jacksonville. 8 pitchers used by the Gators and only Luke McNeillie was good in middle relief. Terrible hitting with runners in scoring position throughout the game and our guys lost another game they should have won. 12-8 now heading to LSU for the weekend.

Crazy how bad we are stuggling mid week. But when you don't have pitching depth this will happen.

We’ve got like 5 reliable pitchers total. Hopefully we’ll find more as the season progresses. I agree it looks like Mcneilie might be the candidate to replace Peterson. I’ll keep asking for Jameson Fisher to get a shot until it happens and I will bet you it does. maybe Sully is going to give Peterson one more shot? Starting on the road at LSU would be tough.

Usable weekend bullpen pitchers currently: slater, Neely, fisher, philpott, mcneilie, satin and Purcell (borderline).

Another quibble: we are dead last in the SEC in walks and I think this lineup is going to disappear for chunks of innings at a time until they look for good pitches and when the walk comes, take it!

We’ve got like 5 reliable pitchers total. Hopefully we’ll find more as the season progresses. I agree it looks like Mcneilie might be the candidate to replace Peterson. I’ll keep asking for Jameson Fisher to get a shot until it happens and I will bet you it does. maybe Sully is going to give Peterson one more shot? Starting on the road at LSU would be tough.

Usable weekend bullpen pitchers currently: slater, Neely, fisher, philpott, mcneilie, satin and Purcell (borderline).

Another quibble: we are dead last in the SEC in walks and I think this lineup is going to disappear for chunks of innings at a time until they look for good pitches and when the walk comes, take it!
Jameson is the guy's last name, Fisher his first. A junior with not a lot of experience. He was terrible last season when given opportunities, but seems to have improved quite a bit. In 2024, he has made 10 appearances so far with 1 start, 4.15 ERA. His start was against Bethune-Cookman and he went 2.2 innings and gave up 3 hits, 2 walks with 2 K's and no runs allowed.
You've got to have the hitting for sure, but it's pitching and defense that wins championships. Our defense is excellent, but pitching remains the primary issue. Will be interested to see who the Saturday night starter is at LSU. You may be right that he sticks with Peterson one more time, but McNeillie may be the first guy in if he falters. Sully is still trying to figure out which of these talented freshmen he can consistently rely on, but we really don't have many veteran relievers who have proven they can handle SEC pitching. Slater & Neely are about it, as Purnell has really struggled after having a solidfreshman year in 2022.

Jameson is the guy's last name, Fisher his first. A junior with not a lot of experience. He was terrible last season when given opportunities, but seems to have improved quite a bit. In 2024, he has made 10 appearances so far with 1 start, 4.15 ERA. His start was against Bethune-Cookman and he went 2.2 innings and gave up 3 hits, 2 walks with 2 K's and no runs allowed.
You've got to have the hitting for sure, but it's pitching and defense that wins championships. Our defense is excellent, but pitching remains the primary issue. Will be interested to see who the Saturday night starter is at LSU. You may be right that he sticks with Peterson one more time, but McNeillie may be the first guy in if he falters. Sully is still trying to figure out which of these talented freshmen he can consistently rely on, but we really don't have many veteran relievers who have proven they can handle SEC pitching. Slater & Neely are about it, as Purnell has really struggled after having a solidfreshman year in 2022.
Sully pretty clearly wants one of the freshman to take the job. And he’s giving them every opportunity. They definitely have the better stuff.

Just so people can see how much we lost from last year's team, plus 2 high school signees who went to MLB.
Transfer Portal/MLB Draft/Seniors
Wyatt Langford OF - Drafted 1st Round by Texas - Signed
Hurston Waldrep RHP - Drafted 1st Round by Atlanta - Signed
Brandon Sproat RHP - Drafted 2nd Round by NY Mets - Signed
Josh Rivera SS - Drafted 3rd Round by Cubs - Signed
Philip Abner LHP - Drafted 6th Round by Arizona - Signed
Colby Halter INF - Drafted 17th Round by Oakland - Signed
Rene Lastres C - Transferred to UNC-Charlotte
Salvador Alvarez C - Transferred to Florida SW State
Yoel Tejeda Jr RHP - Transferred to Florida State
Anthony Ursitti RHP - Transferred to Florida Gulf Coast
Deric Fabian INF - Transferred to Auburn
Matt Prevesk OF - Transferred to UCF
Tyler Nesbitt RHP - Transferred to UCF
Clete Hartzog RHP - Transferred to Troy
Carsten Finnvold LHP - Transferred to UCF
Chris Arroyo LHP - TP ????
Erik Blair OF - TP Transferred to Florida SW State
BT Riopelle C (Sr) - Graduated - working in the private sector in Tampa
Richie Schiekofer OF (Gr) - Graduated with no more eligibility
Nick Ficarrotta RHP - Graduated, now working for UF Health
Tucker Talbott OF - graduated - now working for Stryker in Jacksonville
Sam Sloan RHP - ????
Max Brown - football QB - transferred to Charlotte
High school signee - Steven Echavarria, Milburn NJ - RHP - Drafted #72 Round 3 - Signed for 3M
High school signee - Stone Russell, Bradenton FL - SS - Drafted #529 18th Round - Signed for 150K

Just so people can see how much we lost from last year's team, plus 2 high school signees who went to MLB.
Sam Sloan RHP - ????
High school signee - Steven Echavarria, Milburn NJ - RHP - Drafted #72 Round 3 - Signed for 3M
High school signee - Stone Russell, Bradenton FL - SS - Drafted #529 18th Round - Signed for 150K
Ouch

Sam Sloan RHP - ????
Holy smokes. Didn't even realize it was that much.

Sam Sloan RHP - ????
Pretty incredible. This team is still very talented. Think the talent is there to host a regional.

Reactions: ocalaman
These at bats are ridiculous. 9 outs 9 strikeouts. Put the ball in play for gods sake. Obviously an approach we’re emphasizing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT