ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, for those of you that Hate Nuss....

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier is once again being listed as a head coaching candidate.

Nussmeier, who turned down the Southern Miss job last year, is in the running for the opening at Fresno State, according to a report Sunday from USA Today’s Dan Wolken.

Nussmeier served as the Bulldogs’ offensive coordinator in 2008 and was recommended for the job by Jim McElwain, who left Fresno State after one year to take the OC position at Alabama. Nussmeier succeeded McElwain there as well in 2012 before they linked up at Florida, their first time coaching together in 10 years.

The two coaches have a longstanding relationship after working on the same staff at Michigan State from 2003-05, and McElwain is happy for his right-hand man.

“I think it’s great,” he said. “I’m a firm believer in, you know, somebody gave me an opportunity and I’ll do everything I can to help him in any way that I can. And I do know this, we got a bunch of great candidates. But that’s what makes our coaching staff so good, is guys that are thought of in that vein.”

Gators quarterback Luke Del Rio has played under Nussmeier for three years (two at Florida, one at Alabama) and said he deserves an opportunity to be a head coach.

“I think he’s earned every bit of it,” Del Rio said of Nussmeier. “I know from personal experiences what it’s like to have to move with different coaching jobs. And he played in the NFL, so he’s sacrificed a lot and I’m really proud and happy for him.”

doubt somehow we get that fortunate, and what would the alternative turn to for mac is the argument I saw on twitter all day yesterday... in response to the people that wanted napier instead

doubt somehow we get that fortunate, and what would the alternative turn to for mac is the argument I saw on twitter all day yesterday... in response to the people that wanted napier instead

Steve Sarkisian assuming he's not a drunk still. Elite QB coaching and playcalling. He'd be Mac's Kiffin.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
This post reminds me that you don't drink.

If you haven't had a drink in 20 years, you're still an alcoholic.

Whatever. Plenty of functional alcoholics out there doing good work. The tut-tutting at drinkers is just a means for pill-poppers and tea-totaling wife and kid abusers to feel better about themselves.

Whatever. Plenty of functional alcoholics out there doing good work. The tut-tutting at drinkers is just a means for pill-poppers and tea-totaling wife and kid abusers to feel better about themselves.

I'm a very efficient functional alcoholic.

I assume you understood my point about addiction though.

Sark is obviously not a terribly functional alcoholic.

The actions he took show me that.

Now, that doesn't mean he can't change things, but he does appear to be a drunk who has to stop and never take another drop.

Even if he's done that, im not sure it's been long enough to justify him being given that sort of responsibility at UF.

Would I love him to be our OC? Oh hell yes.

Reactions: sadgator
I'm a very efficient functional alcoholic.

I assume you understood my point about addiction though.

Sark is obviously not a terribly functional alcoholic.

The actions he took show me that.

Now, that doesn't mean he can't change things, but he does appear to be a drunk who has to stop and never take another drop.

Even if he's done that, im not sure it's been long enough to justify him being given that sort of responsibility at UF.

Would I love him to be our OC? Oh hell yes.

Not a functional alcoholic? He's won a ton of games as player and coach, got himself probably one of the 10 best football coaching jobs in the world and has made eight figures before age 45. That's getting it done in my book.

Not a functional alcoholic? He's won a ton of games as player and coach, got himself probably one of the 10 best football coaching jobs in the world and has made eight figures before age 45. That's getting it done in my book.

And yet while he was at USC, he lost whatever control he has over it.

I get that it's fun to tease and discount a drunk or, apparently, addiction.

You're an intelligent guy, I thought you would be a little better on this subject than to simply think about football.

And yet while he was at USC, he lost whatever control he has over it.

I get that it's fun to tease and discount a drunk or, apparently, addiction.

You're an intelligent guy, I thought you would be a little better on this subject than to simply think about football.

No teasing. People deal with all kind of issues. I would bet that a large percentage of college and pro athletes/coaches, along with successful people in all walks of life really, would qualify as alcoholics if you made them check the boxes. What's the difference between pouring some wine at the end of the workday and popping prescription pills daily? Drunk shaming is just a means for people with their own problems to feel better about themselves.

No teasing. People deal with all kind of issues. I would bet that a large percentage of college and pro athletes/coaches, along with successful people in all walks of life really, would qualify as alcoholics if you made them check the boxes. What's the difference between pouring some wine at the end of the workday and popping prescription pills daily? Drunk shaming is just a means for people with their own problems to feel better about themselves.

Are you even aware of what happened?

It's not like he was getting drunk after work.

He couldn't stay off the bottle for work functions.

I think stopping drinking is very positive. I

Yeah he was drunk at work. You think he never got drunk at work while he was playing and coaching his way to the USC job? Ultimately, some people can handle themselves, some cannot. Alcohol abuse is a symptom not a cause.

Never know what people are dealing with. Wasn't he going through a divorce around the same time? He probably likes the sauce, but didn't seem to be a problem until recently when he had all those personal issues going on. Having to write a check for a few million to an ex and losing his kids probably contributed.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Alcohol abuse is a symptom not a cause.

I am pretty sure drinking alcohol impairs most individuals both mentally and physically. Really, it does this for all people. Some people can drink more without apparent impairment, but everyone has a limit.

Same with any drug

when you drink for years and as a comfort, it's in your head... after long, it's your body that must have it no matter what you think if it's been abused enough.. Then you are in a weird place

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT