ADVERTISEMENT

UF vs UGA -- B-Ball

Florida goes to 5-0 in the SEC (still in 1st place)and 14-3 overall.
How many times did Florida ever do that in basketball?

I can only think of two other times and both of those times Florida made it to the Final Four. I am not sure about this group but these Gators are having a great year so far.
The SEC is horrid.

The Gators 3 losses:
By 10 pts to #5 Duke
By 5 pts to #7 Gonzaga
By 5 pts to #9 FSU + biased/incompetent/corrupt game officials....
None of those game were played @ UF. o_O

The Gators have played the #2 SoS with a #3 RPI, so claiming that the SEC is horrid is mostly irrelevant imo. :cool:

Reactions: TennesseeGator
We literally never won these games under billy, we have done it every night in SEC play, but this was the only one where it was the other way around trailing and coming back and winning, we are usally up the whole game before it gets close. We had like 50 bench points, that's how you win...
That is simply not true.

Reactions: instaGATOR
The Gators 3 losses:
By 10 pts to #5 Duke
By 5 pts to #7 Gonzaga
By 5 pts to #9 FSU + biased/incompetent/corrupt game officials....
None of those game were played @ UF. o_O

The Gators have played the #2 SoS with a #3 RPI, so claiming that the SEC is horrid is mostly irrelevant imo. :cool:
That RPI is going to fall as the SOS falls. UK is the only ranked team left on the schedule.

And what good is it playing tough teams OOC if you can't win any of em?

Sagarin-USAToday Poll (best and most in-depth B-Ball poll imo)

What good are close (5pt) losses in away games? (see RPI / Big Dance)

2. UK (2-4-17) x2
5. Gonzaga -5
8. Duke -10
14. UF -- 14-3, 5-0 SEC
18. FSU -5
27. Miami +9
29. SCa -- @ Columbia, up next on Wed, x2
42. Ark +9, x2
45. UGA +4, x2
49. Seton hall +5
59. aTm (2-11-17)
60. Tenn +13

64. Okla (@ Norman (1-28-17)
~~ # of Tourney teams, not just the AP Top 25.

66. Ala +13
70. VU (1-21-17) x2

With 326 Teams in D1, the above is actually a lot of games (20) vs opponents ranked in the Top 21.5%. In football, it's the Top 25, but B-Ball is different/expanded.
-------------------
82. AU
83. MsSt
91. St Bonaventure +7
107. Belmont +17
121. FL GC +21
135. LSU
163. is the half way point to 326.
170. Mizz
192 Mercer +22

That is simply not true.

before the 04's Billy became known as the guy that lost all these games, and people even started questioning if he was a choking type coach when it gets down to nut cutting time. Then after that you have all the Elite 8 melt downs. Florida lost SOOO many more games than they won in close games under Billy, and his last year was probably the worst. They had to write an article about it

before the 04's Billy became known as the guy that lost all these games, and people even started questioning if he was a choking type coach when it gets down to nut cutting time. Then after that you have all the Elite 8 melt downs. Florida lost SOOO many more games than they won in close games under Billy, and his last year was probably the worst. They had to write an article about it

Like that Butler game during his first final four season? Oh he won that one.

It's amazing how some are spinning that Billy D wasn't a GREAT college coach. He grew steadily as a recruiter and an in-game coach and built Florida into a national powerhouse - something no one thought possible. If he had stayed at Florida he could have challenged Mike K for winningest college coach ever and certainly would have been among the top 5 by the time he ended his career. Even now he will go down as one of the all time greats and possibly is the best coach ever at the University of Florida. Did he lose some close games? Of course. He won a bunch of them as well and brought championships and NCAA runs that UF had never seen before. His accomplishments are truly incredible. I wish Mike White the same success and more, but it's way to early to make comparisons between the two.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Whatever dude. Hall of Fame coaches are not chokers.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
you are taking what im saying as a negative against billy, do you not remember when we got bounced in the first round or the first weekend of every tournament all those years with very talented teams with like 25 + wins and people started talking about Billy not being able to get over the hump?

im not in any way saying Billy is worse than our coach now, but he had very bad luck in close games and still does in the NBA.

Head coaching record
College
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Marshall Thundering Herd
(Southern Conference) (1994–1996)
1994–95 Marshall 18–9 10–4 1st (North)
1995–96 Marshall 17–11 8–6 3rd (North)
Marshall: 35–20 (.636) 18–10 (.643)
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (1996–2015)
1996–97 Florida 13–17 5–11 5th (East)
1997–98 Florida 14–15 6–10 6th (East) NIT First Round
1998–99 Florida 22–9 10–6 3rd (East) NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1999–00 Florida 29–8 12–4 T–1st (East) NCAA Runner-up
2000–01 Florida 24–7 12–4 T–1st (East) NCAA Second Round
2001–02 Florida 22–9 10–6 T–1st (East) NCAA First Round
2002–03 Florida 25–8 12–4 2nd (East) NCAA Second Round
2003–04 Florida 20–11 9–7 2nd (East) NCAA First Round
2004–05 Florida 24–8 12–4 2nd (East) NCAA Second Round
2005–06 Florida 33–6 10–6 2nd (East) NCAA Champions
2006–07 Florida 35–5 13–3 1st (East) NCAA Champions
2007–08 Florida 24–12 8–8 4th (East) NIT Semifinals
2008–09 Florida 25–11 9–7 3rd (East) NIT Quarterfinals
2009–10 Florida 21–13 9–7 4th (East) NCAA First Round
2010–11 Florida 29–8 13–3 1st (East) NCAA Elite Eight
2011–12 Florida 26–11 10–6 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2012–13 Florida 29–8 14–4 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Florida 36–3 18–0 1st NCAA Final Four
2014–15 Florida 16–17 8–10 T–8th
Florida: 467–186 (.715) 202–109 (.650)
Total: 502–206 (.709)

Not many coaches in NCAA history have that kind of success, especially at a school with very little basketball success before he got there. Duke, Kansas and all of the other elite teams have gotten bounced early in the tournament every now and then.

Also keep in mind that except for Kentucky, Florida is one of 2 SEC schools (Arkansas 1994) to win a national title in basketball. And only 8 schools have ever won more than 2. We're in pretty elite company because of Billy Donovan

It was frustrating as heck losing so many close games the last 2 years especially with our tourney hopes riding on many of those games. This year that does seem to have reversed course.

Billy Donovan sucks

that's the perception in this thread of what i think of him

Billy Donovan sucks

that's the perception in this thread of what i think of him

I know what numbers is saying. We did seem kind of snakebit from time to time. It was weird for such a great coach but his teams did play a little panicky sometimes (not the 04s).

Reactions: 46885
Being "snake bit" is an attribute of a single elimination tournament. There are very few coaches with a better NCAA record. Around 75% if memory serves.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
it wasn't just in the tournament that we are talking about... Again there's nothing to take away from Billy, if there was ANY negative about his teams or his coaching, this is just the only thing, simply being pointed out.

Comparisons can be made between BillyD and White, just not 'college career' comparisons. Those will have to wait for quite a while yet.... ;)

BillyD, taking over a UF program with a previous season losing record:
(Kruger had taken UF to a recent Final Four)

1996–97 Florida 13–17 5–11 5th (East)

1997–98 Florida 14–15 6–10 6th (East) NIT First Round

Mike White, taking over a UF program with a previous season losing record:
(BillyD had taken UF to a recent Final Four)

2015-16 - 21-15, 9-9 SEC
Matched UF Record for wins (21) by a 1st year head coach (not Billy).
NIT Quarter Finals, all in away games instead of host, due to O-Dome renovations.

2016-17 Currently #19 AP, #14 Sagarin
- 14-3, 5-0 SEC, Projected NCAA Tourney.
He already has as many wins (14) as Billy had total in his 2nd season.
And their first 11 games were all on the road.
I'm not saying that Mike White is already a better coach than BillyD, but he's not chopped liver either. Some here started out calling him as a bad hire... :confused:

Note: The players that White has brought in seem to be playing pretty well so far...
SF Justin Leon Sr
SG/PG KeVaughn Allen So
PF Kavarrius Hayes So
PF Keith Stone rsFr
-------
SF Canyon Barry Grad-Sr
PG Eric Hester Fr
PF Dontay Bassett Fr
PF/C Gorjok Gak Fr
-------
SG Jalen Hudson 6-6 190 Jr - VaTech xfer, available in 2017-18
2017 Recruits - #11 Class:
C Isaiah Stokes 6-8 273 **** - ESPN 100
SG/PG DeAundre Ballard 6-6 195 **** - ESPN 100
PF Chase Johnson 6-8 205 ****
SG Michael Okauru 6-4 ***

Donovan will always be BillyD, but they replaced him with what could be his clone imo. :)

White was a really good replacement, if he can pull in some top recruits it doesn't look like we will drop off much if at all with him here. Just gotta see how we close out the year and see what he can do in the tournament. I think he will do well, we got lucky. He's doing as well as you can replacing the best ever imo.

"if he can pull in some top recruits"
So you're saying that none of the players that White has already brought in are top recruits?

"Just gotta see how we? (they) close out the year and see what he can do in the tournament."
And he also has to 'do well' (how well?) in the NCAA Tourney, in just his 2nd year, not just manage to get there? --- WTF-over! o_O

1st Year - 21-15, 9-9 VS 13–17, SEC 5–11

2nd Year - 14-3, 5-0 VS 14–15, SEC 6–10

Has none of what he's already accomplished, while following a HoF coach, not sunk in for you (or some others) yet? o_O

He's not only followed a HoF coach, in his first season he took them to the NIT Quarter Finals in all away games when they should have been the host team.
He's already won as many games in his 2nd season, as BD finished his 2nd season with, and he's done that while playing the 1st 11 games on the road. :eek:

It was BillyD's 3rd season before he even managed to finish with a winning season. o_O

"Nobody manages to suffer winning more than Gator fans." -- Fat Drooley :D

Last edited:
"So you're saying that none of the players that White has already brought in are top recruits? "

no, you are assuming that on your own.

i was talking about the future, i haven't even seen what he's done in recruiting going forward. I wasn't saying he hasn't done anything

Numbers, I posted the players that he's already brought in, and the one's in his current #11 2017 Class. So, what do you think of those?
==============

A couple of weeks ago it was Robinson and Leon.
Last week it was Leon and Allen.
Tuesday, it was Kasey Hill and Stone.
Saturday it was Barry and Stone.
That's why Florida is sitting at 14-3 and 5-0 in the SEC heading to South Carolina. You just don't know who it's going to be game-to-game. And neither do they.

“Everybody on this team is happy for whoever has a big game,” Barry said.
(and that's where I've been all along and remain now - iG) :cool:

Right, I'm clueless. How's your Chiozza for starter campaign working out? I guess you know more hoops than Mike White too.

Chris had a much better year this year than Hill had all of last year. Should have been a starter this year and last

Chris had a much better year this year than Hill had all of last year. Should have been a starter this year and last
Agree - Kasey Hill was a tenacious defender and backside rebounder. But his inability to shoot allowed teams to suck in towards the basket and protect the rim better. He could drive really well, but missed a ton of layups. He turned the ball over way too much and was very inconsistent at the free throw line. Point guards should be among your best outside shooters, plus be 80%+ at the free throw line because they have the ball so much down the stretch. Chiozza had a much better assist to turnover ratio and, to me, was clearly the better player. Hill had his moments and overall had a nice career, but I'll take the Cheeze.

Agree - Kasey Hill was a tenacious defender and backside rebounder. But his inability to shoot allowed teams to suck in towards the basket and protect the rim better. He could drive really well, but missed a ton of layups. He turned the ball over way too much and was very inconsistent at the free throw line. Point guards should be among your best outside shooters, plus be 80%+ at the free throw line because they have the ball so much down the stretch. Chiozza had a much better assist to turnover ratio and, to me, was clearly the better player. Hill had his moments and overall had a nice career, but I'll take the Cheeze.
Yep

Well, the brain trust that had the Gators dead three weeks ago have spoken, so I guess that settles that. I'm sure you two basketball geniuses know more than the coaches who voted Hill 2nd team all SEC and all SEC defense.

Chiozza is a better player than Hill. But the team did go 14-4 in the SEC last year, primarily because of their defense, which Hill was a big part of. Not clear to me why you two continue to flog this particular dead horse, but I'm guessing it's because all of your recent predictions have turned out wrong.

Recent Gator PG History:

I liked PG Wilbekin, even with his occasional screw ups off the court.

I liked PG Hill, even with his occasional scoring droughts or TO's.

I like PG Chiozza, even with his low PPG and less than 50% FT's as a Fr.

I already like Fr PG Okauru 6-3 180, as he begins his Gator career.
21 GP, 1 GS, 10.7 Min/Gm
FG .457, 3's .395, FT .536, 29 RB, 20 Ast, 10 TO, 16 Stl, 2 Blk.

And I'm really looking forward to having/seeing this incoming FNG:
#3 PG Andrew Nembhard 6-4 185 ***** - Montverde, FL
Offers: UF - Mizz - Bay, Gonz, tOSU, OK, Stan, USC, Vill, VaT.

They all have something very important in common, they ALL CHOSE to be Gators... o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT