ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal 2023-2024

In fairness to Franks and Jones they had games PFF said they were one of the very top QBs that week and also a great under pressure rating. They happened to be the games Franks and Jones played like Mertz did the whole year in 2023 because their system is a complete joke and rewards a rollout QB being chased dink and dunk barely past the line pass as being effective under pressure. Mertz ultra risk averse style of play n 2023 doesn't elevate a team at all. It just gets the same talking heads acting like he is doing good because he throws easy wide open short of the chains passes mostly. The SEC board got a huge laugh that week they had Mertz up there with Daniels and the Ole Miss QB after that game. None of them want Mertz being their starting QB.
I was referring to AR.

I am not stubborn. The plays are on tape and I have watched them. He is scared to pull the trigger on most tight windows and hardly ever throws someone open. He dinks and dunks mostly short of the 1st down marker and his long passes are usually ones that are pretty wide open. It's why the SC game is the only game he helped to win at all and why it was against a team that limited in talent. Just ask me and we can compare tape of pressured good SEC QBs this past year to very pedestrian and limited Mertz. It's a huge difference and Mertz is laughable in comparison. Maybe he can drop all the open long passes in 2024 and get a 90% completion rate dinking it while we go 5-7 and you tell everyone Mertz is a good QB.
First off, the offense evolved over the season. So maybe you stopped watching tape halfway through? Secondly, your analysis of Mertz contradicts every real expert plus what we all saw with our own eyes. Mertz was our MVP, pretty clear cut. Only you and one other disagree.

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
First off, the offense evolved over the season. So maybe you stopped watching tape halfway through? Secondly, your analysis of Mertz contradicts every real expert plus what we all saw with our own eyes. Mertz was our MVP, pretty clear cut. Only you and one other disagree.

Nope I watched the review of all the games. We did scheme pretty open WRs and the TEs later in the season though. Most big throws he had were good schemed plays and very few were the QB making the big play when the window was tight at all. He hardly made any NFL type throws the entire season. Not sure what the deal with this transfer is but he has it on his good play highlights he actually goes after the harder passes to complete. Not sure why the other guy took over though and how good he is overall.

Nope I watched the review of all the games. We did scheme pretty open WRs and the TEs later in the season though. Most big throws he had were good schemed plays and very few were the QB making the big play when the window was tight at all. He hardly made any NFL type throws the entire season. Not sure what the deal with this transfer is but he has it on his good play highlights he actually goes after the harder passes to complete. Not sure why the other guy took over though and how good he is overall.
SOS said Mertz played great last year. Need to let him know he was wrong.

SOS said Mertz played great last year. Need to let him know he was wrong.

Don't care he is a huge Gator fan obviously. He also said a walk on looked like the best one at a scrimmage.

Mertz is a below average SEC QB and Miami just picked up Cameron Ward who would be a playoff QB on the right team. We are in this position either because Napier is clueless or our big boosters refuse to pay for someone that would actually be a good SEC QB unlike Mertz. Mertz can have a trophy created for the guy that threw short and sprinted all the time to the line just to avoid an incompletion going in his stats. He is very limited.

• Sad
Reactions: ocalaman
Don't care he is a huge Gator fan obviously. He also said a walk on looked like the best one at a scrimmage.

Mertz is a below average SEC QB and Miami just picked up Cameron Ward who would be a playoff QB on the right team. We are in this position either because Napier is clueless or our big boosters refuse to pay for someone that would actually be a good SEC QB unlike Mertz. Mertz can have a trophy created for the guy that threw short and sprinted all the time to the line just to avoid an incompletion going in his stats. He is very limited.
In your opinion.

Don't worry, Coach Man Boobs will capitalize on Ward's turnovers, increasing them and thus lowering Cam's draft numbers.

I am not going to sugarcoat it. We have been really bad in the portal so far considering our needs and that we are supposed to be one of these top football schools. Getting scared we may become like Stoops KY team as far as our ceiling. Maybe too many of our real big money people are nerds.

Reactions: ocalaman
I am not going to sugarcoat it. We have been really bad in the portal so far considering our needs and that we are supposed to be one of these top football schools. Getting scared we may become like Stoops KY team as far as our ceiling. Maybe too many of our real big money people are nerds.
Napier will be canned before 2024 season ends...in my humble opinion. With our schedule and the lack of talent on the roster he won't make it to November.

Napier will be canned before 2024 season ends...in my humble opinion. With our schedule and the lack of talent on the roster he won't make it to November.

Yep I would put it at 75% likely right now. May come down to where A&M and Miami stand after the transfers are done.

Nobody thought that. Anyone who thought that was walking around blind without a cane. Paying players? Yeah they won’t want to keep that up.

My guess is quite a few thought the prices would come down more than they have after A@Ms mess etc. It looks like FSU has signed 1/4 of Bama's roster in the portal.

Reactions: LordofallSocks
As an aside, we are currently ranked #39 in the transfer portal rankings. That's 15th in the SEC, plus well behind FSU & Miami. The 2 offensive linemen we got so far have a .8800 and .8700 rating - good, but not great. Our best portal guys are the 2 defensive players from South Carolina and Yale. Our recruiting and portal classes for the last 3 years have been average at best. Our competition is improving their rosters in a better way than we are. It proved itself on the field the last 2 years and there's no reason to think otherwise for 2024. We have inferior players than most of the teams on our schedule. I know that's harsh, and we do have several really good players, some of which will probably be in the NFL one day. We just don't have enough of them to make up for the glaring deficiencies.

I’ll give it to CBN, he’s out there working for sure. But still a pretty average SEC class.

All Gators is projecting roles for each transfer acquisition. Next up is super senior safety DJ Douglas, who joins Florida following three seasons at Tulane after beginning his career as a walk-on defensive back at Alabama in 2019.

Manning a versatile function in the Green Wave defense, Douglas logged:
277 snaps at deep safety,
201 snaps at box safety,
157 snaps at nickel cornerback,
13 at outside cornerback.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT