ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on this Florida team......

I am really starting to wonder about Coach Napier.

Napier: We struggled with the counter last week in part because Kentucky executed it perfectly and they hadn't run the ball using the same technique a week earlier. It was part of the focus this week.

His Monday press conference was littered with questions not only pertaining to the defeat, but also the direction of the program under his leadership, to which Napier suggested, "When we win, nobody asks us questions."
2022 = 6-7
2023 = 2-2 vs FBS

Much like when as a kid I said; "Momma doesn't spank me when I'm a good boy." --- WELL DUH!!!
==========

But talking about the past, Napier believes, won't aid the Gators in their future endeavors.

So, maybe Billy missed this piece of advise somewhere along the line; "Those that ignore the past,,, are DOOMED to repeat it."
"We need to come up with solutions."
"We have to be solution-oriented."
"I’m hopeful we can do that.”

Does Billy not realize that you have to constantly study and talk your PAST mistakes, in order to accomplish this?

Note to Billy:
McLame -- Del Rio + Appleby + Zaire = Fired
Napier ---- Miller III + Mertz + ? = ???

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...king-about-kentucky-loss-moving-on-vanderbilt

Billy/Graham (not that one) - "I think his (Mertz) experience brings a steadiness. He has an awareness. It's not too big for him because he's played in (and lost) big games and big stages."

UF 11 - 24 Utah
UF 29 - 16 Tennis-sea
UF 22 - 7 Charlotte (a win, but embarrassing)
UF 14 - 33 Kensucky

• Haha
Reactions: fsu939913
Napier doesn't have a high performing qb and we can see the same flaws more clearly. We don't have the players that can make up for the bland and predictable play calling. There's so many flaws on both sides of the ball that Napier is in over his head. The SEC is only going to get harder with the inclusion of OU and Texas.

Maybe he has one but for whatever reason(s), he's not coaching him up and using him in games. Even a wildcat series every now and then when they are not moving and scoring with Mertz/Miller....

From his official Gator Roster Bio: QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsFr

2023: Played in one game… Made collegiate debut in the home season opener vs. McNeese (Sept. 9). Completed 2 of 3 passes for 24 yards with a long of 16 on his first career attempt.
Passing - 2 of 3 (67%) for 24 Yds, 12 Yds/Att, 0 TD, 0 Int, L-16
Rushing - NADA yet, but he drove the team down for the only 4th Qtr. TD.
RB Treyaun Webb 5 yd run (Trey Smack, kick), 9 plays, 62 yards, TOP 04:54

2022 : Did not make an appearance and redshirted.

(while failed xfer QB Miller lead UF to a 3 - 30 Bowl loss to LAC 12 OreSt)

High School
Oklahoma District 3-3A MVP
as a senior...
Threw for 2,750 yards, 41 passing TDs to 4 Int's, with
1,343 rushing yards and 20 rushing TD's to ZERO LPF's this season..

Led his HS to a 13-1 record and 3A state runner-up finish this past season...

Accounted for 4,416 passing-yards and 68 passing TD's to 14 Ints. in two seasons at QB...
Ranked a top 15 player in the state of Oklahoma by 247Sports..

Chose Florida over Washington

And yes, there were some here that got tired of me talking about Trask, right up until he broke UF's season Passing Yds, and Passing TD's all time records....

Wound Max have the same kind of results?
We'll never know if he stays rotting on the bench...

Last edited:
Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
Maybe he has one but for whatever reason(s), he's not coaching him up and using him in games. Even a wildcat series every now and then when they are not moving and scoring with Mertz/Miller....

From his official Gator Roster Bio: QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsFr

2023: Played in one game… Made collegiate debut in the home season opener vs. McNeese (Sept. 9). Completed 2 of 3 passes for 24 yards with a long of 16 on his first career attempt.
Passing - 2 of 3 (67%) for 24 Yds, 12 Yds/Att, 0 TD, 0 Int, L-16
Rushing - NADA yet, but he drove the team down for the only 4th Qtr. TD.
RB Treyaun Webb 5 yd run (Trey Smack, kick), 9 plays, 62 yards, TOP 04:54

2022 : Did not make an appearance and redshirted.

(while failed xfer QB Miller lead UF to a 3 - 30 Bowl loss to LAC 12 OreSt)

High School
Oklahoma District 3-3A MVP
as a senior...
Threw for 2,750 yards, 41 passing TDs to 4 Int's, with
1,343 rushing yards and 20 rushing TD's to ZERO LPF's this season..

Led his HS to a 13-1 record and 3A state runner-up finish this past season...

Accounted for 4,416 passing-yards and 68 passing TD's to 14 Ints. in two seasons at QB...
Ranked a top 15 player in the state of Oklahoma by 247Sports..

Chose Florida over Washington

And yes, there were some here that go tired of me talking about Trask, right up until he broke UF's season Passing Yds, and Passing TD's all time records....

Wound Max have the same kind of results?
We'll never know if he stays rotting on the bench...
Brown won’t have the same kind of results because he’ll have Napier coaching him instead of Mullen. Reminder that Napier last year head a qb that currently leads the NFL in explosive plays per play (throws of 20+ yards; runs of 12+ yards), and we lost to Vandy with him.

If this becomes a lost season, might as well see what Brown can do (we won’t). But I don’t think Mertz deserves to lose his job at this point.

His Monday press conference was littered with questions not only pertaining to the defeat, but also the direction of the program under his leadership, to which Napier suggested, "When we win, nobody asks us questions."
2022 = 6-7
2023 = 2-2 vs FBS

Much like when as a kid I said; "Momma doesn't spank me when I'm a good boy." --- WELL DUH!!!
==========

But talking about the past, Napier believes, won't aid the Gators in their future endeavors.

So, maybe Billy missed this piece of advise somewhere along the line; "Those that ignore the past,,, are DOOMED to repeat it."
"We need to come up with solutions."
"We have to be solution-oriented."
"I’m hopeful we can do that.”

Does Billy not realize that you have to constantly study and talk your PAST mistakes, in order to accomplish this?

Note to Billy:
McLame -- Del Rio + Appleby + Zaire = Fired
Napier ---- Miller III + Mertz + ? = ???

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...king-about-kentucky-loss-moving-on-vanderbilt

Billy/Graham (not that one) - "I think his (Mertz) experience brings a steadiness. He has an awareness. It's not too big for him because he's played in (and lost) big games and big stages."

UF 11 - 24 Utah
UF 29 - 16 Tennis-sea
UF 22 - 7 Charlotte (a win, but embarrassing)
UF 14 - 33 Kensucky

Someone should ask Napier if he is making sure he is preparing for more than just Vandy's offense from last week since he said KY apparently surprised them with rushing plays they didn't run in their prior game.

He shouldnt lose his job cause he's not the problem. He has played just as well as I expected and I'm perfectly fine with his performance. Call him a game manager if you want but he runs the offense he is told. He needs help from the offensive line plus the coach.

We have nothing better on the bench probably but he does need to start pulling the trigger on plays down the field when they are there instead of playing it safe. It's not helping us him completing 80% of his passes when it's not leading to any scoring in our FBS games. I think without that FCS game we are only averaging less than 20 points a game against FBS teams

Someone’s crying, Lord, kum ba yah! Someone’s crying, Lord, kum ba yah! Someone’s crying, Lord, kum ba yah! O Lord, kum ba yah!

:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
12023780.jpeg

A tactful way of saying what needs to be done.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I hate to be a pessimist because I usually consider myself more of a realist. But I think its' going to be really hard for us to win another game. Looking at the schedule, the only 2 home games are Arkansas & FSU. We've been really bad on the road the last couple of years and if we win at South Carolina and then beat Arkansas at home to go 6-6, I'll consider that the best this team could do. Would love to be wrong.

I hate to be a pessimist because I usually consider myself more of a realist. But I think its' going to be really hard for us to win another game. Looking at the schedule, the only 2 home games are Arkansas & FSU. We've been really bad on the road the last couple of years and if we win at South Carolina and then beat Arkansas at home to go 6-6, I'll consider that the best this team could do. Would love to be wrong.
Our best chance at winning will be home against Arky and believe it or not, the fsu game. That is a rivalry game, and it will be played at home. Nolies are a tad overrated too. But there is a good chance we don't win another game.

I think 6-6 is probably the best we will do with an outside shot at 7-5. We are actually a game ahead of where I though we would be on our way to 6-6 but I think this offense has too many issues. This SC game is key to avoid a possible losing season.. I still think LSU and Georgia are almost locks to be losses and an FSU upset is not likely to happen.

Not to be all doom and gloom I think that Vandy was the only possible loss that could screw up having a good class. Even if we go 5-7 Napier should have a very good recruiting class.

In the last 30 years, Gator football has gone from:

The 'Fun & Gun' and RUTS complaints from the media-morons,,,,

to the 'Dink & Dunk Junk' with an SEC worst 27 Pts/Gm average.

From winning SEC-C's and NC's,,,
to I hope we make a bowl and end up with a winning season.
And now,,, back to the old Gator montra of 'WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR'.....

So,,, 'Happy Daze Are Here Again'...............................

Some day you will get over the well justified firing of your beloved Cousin Eddie. In the meantime, please enjoy watching him on your beloved network, ESPN.
I doubt that on any day, you will tire of blaming yesterday's others, for what is going on today. And I watch Gator sports on SEC-N & ESPN because that's were they are, but I watch with the sound off most of the tines. I don't watch the pre-game shows on either, so I have no idea about what Tebow, Dan, or anyone else is saying....

gd3, I expect you to remain clueless and/or WRONG on most subjects, and you've rarely if ever disappointed me.
😜

Best SEC WR's - Average Yds/Rec Rankings:

10. Jermaine Burton - UA - 6 Gms, 17 for 386 Yds, 22.7 Ave, 4 TD's

14. Tre Harris - MS - 5 Gms, 17 for 367 Yds, 21.5 Ave, 6 TD's

33. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint - UG - 5 Gms, 17 for 325 Yds, 19.1 Ave, 2 TD's

35. Xavier Legette - SCa - 5 Gms, 32 for 606, 18.9 Ave, 3 TD's

64. Malik Nabers - LSU - 6 Gms, 46 for 771 Yds, 16.8 Ave, 6 TD's

67. Ainias Smith - aTm - 6 Gms, 26 for 431 Yds, 16.6 Ave, 0 TD's

70. Ramel Keyton - TN - 5 Gms, 14 for 230 Yds, 16.4 Ave, 3 TD's

71. Rara Thomas - UG - 6 Gms, 14 for 230 Yds, 16.4 Ave, 1 TD

72. Brian Thomas Jr - LSU - 6 Gms, 37 for 603 Yds, 16.3 Ave, 3 TD's

74. Lideatrick Griffin - MsSt - 6 Gms, 29 for 474 Yds, 16.3 Ave, 2 TD's

76. Dane Key - UK - 6 Gms, 16 for 261 Yds, 16.3 Ave, 2 TD's

90. Luke Hasz - Ark - 5 Gms, 16 for 253 Yds, 15.8 Ave, 3 TD's

91 Will Sheppard - VU - 7 Gms, 35 for 550, 15.7 Ave, 8 TD's

114. Tayvion Robinson - UK - 6 Gms, 21 for 317 Yds, 15.1 Ave, 3 TD's

118. Jordan Watkins - MS - 6 Gms, 36 for 536 Yds, 14.9 Ave, 2 TD's

119. Evan Stewart - aTm - 5 Gms, 27 for 403 Yds, 14.9 Ave, 4 TD's

130. Luther Burden - Mizz - 6 Gms, 54 for 793 Yds, 14.7 Ave, 5 TD's

131. Brock Bowers - UG - 6 Gms, 37 for 545 Yds, 14.7 Ave, 4 TD's

138. Isaiah Bond - UA - 6 Gms, 19 for 275 Yds, 14.5 Ave, 2 TD's

141. Dayton Wade MS - 6 Gms, 27 for 390 Yds, 14.4 Ave 2 TDs

159. Re'Mahn Davis - UK - 6 Gms, 13 for 182 Yds, 14.0 Ave, 4 TD's

176. Mookie Cooper - Mizz - 6 Gms, 20 for 273 Yds, 13.7 Ave, 0 TD's

Just listing the Gator's from here on.....

192. WR-slot Ricky Pearsall - UF - 6 Gms, 34 for 453 Yds, 13.3 Ave, 2 TD's

296. TE Arlis Boardingham - 6 Gms, 13 for 150 Yds, 11.5 Ave, 3 TD's

458. RB Montrell Johnson - UF - 6 Gms, 15 for 105 Yds, 7.0 Ave, 1 TD

480 is where they ended this list, with the Gator's only having 1 WR even make the 480 list....

Mertz is a solid 'Game Manager' type of QB, but he's not shown any 'Big Play' attributes yet imo.
The offensive plays, the game plans, and the play calling, still worry me as the monster schedule progresses.
My other worries are the Special Teams, with an OC/QB coach added would make me feel better.

We'll see, but I'd still like to see a series or two each game be with QB-dt Max Brown along the way....

Reactions: emekz1
Mertz is a solid 'Game Manager' type of QB, but he's not shown any 'Big Play' attributes yet imo.
The offensive plays, the game plans, and the play calling, still worry me as the monster schedule progresses.
My other worries are the Special Teams, with an OC/QB coach added would make me feel better.

We'll see, but I'd still like to see a series or two each game be with QB-dt Max Brown along the way....
Offensive line is horrendous. After Vandy we moved up to 96th in pass blocking. Still well under 3 seconds on average. Play calling was bad last year and again this year, but part of the lack of deep shots is the lack of time to get pass off. Mertz is offensive MVP thus far, but if the line doesn't improve won't matter who's behind center.

Offensive line is horrendous. After Vandy we moved up to 96th in pass blocking. Still well under 3 seconds on average. Play calling was bad last year and again this year, but part of the lack of deep shots is the lack of time to get pass off. Mertz is offensive MVP thus far, but if the line doesn't improve won't matter who's behind center.
That makes little sense to me.
With a weak OL, your best bet is with a QB-dt that can run, roll out and pitch it, or throw down field.
What you don't want is a statue, or a less mobile QB-pp that stands there and takes sacks...

In general, who plays QB is the most critical decision on the entire team.
To be at his best as a QB, Mertz needs a 5-star OL,,,,, Max doesn't.
What Max, or any other QB-dt needs, is a coach with the right system that knows how to call plays that fit in with the players that he has available....

Reactions: emekz1
That makes little sense to me.
With a weak OL, your best bet is with a QB-dt that can run, roll out and pitch it, or throw down field.
What you don't want is a statue, or a less mobile QB-pp that stands there and takes sacks...

In general, who plays QB is the most critical decision on the entire team.
To be at his best as a QB, Mertz needs a 5-star OL,,,,, Max doesn't.
What Max, or any other QB-dt needs, is a coach with the right system that knows how to call plays that fit in with the players that he has available....
I know it doesn't make sense to you.

• Haha
I know it doesn't make sense to you.
Mertz has played much better than I thought he would. He's shown some mobility, while being very accurate with the passes he's called on to throw. The line simply can't protect well enough for many deep or even intermediate passes to develop. Maybe Brown can run around a little bit better, but what do we know about his decision-making and accuracy on the move? It would seem that practices and scrimmages must have shown Mertz to be the better overall leader and player. My belief is that Mertz simply gives us a better chance to win. Others may disagree and that's fine. But Mertz is a plus to the offense from what I've seen. It all starts and ends with the line play, IMO.

Last edited:
Been reading around and these are just comments on some of what I've been reading....

Facing a 2-3 South Carolina team,,,,, "I think they're very good at what they do," Napier said. --- The iG says WTF??? That might be part of the problem Billy believes that a 2-3 record is being very good at what you do.....

Mertz is throwing for an 80% (dink & dunk junk) completion rate, which is good for #80 in FBS at 27.2 Pts/Gm, while going 4-2 in 6 games. They have scored 30+ Pts in just 2 games, vs D2 McNeeseSt and the Candy Commies.

==========

Just me, but I might try Jaydon Hill, or maybe Jalen Kimber at free safety.
When a receiver beats the CB and there's nobody deep behind them to help out, then that's a safety position issue imo....

And does anyone know if CB Jason Marshall has a new squeeze, or some other such off the field problems, cause he seems to not be playing up to his 5-star ranking so far this season....
==========

New 5-star Lagway has proved to be an uber-productive passer for Willis (Texas) High School, showcasing the arm strength, prowess to make throws from the pocket and on the move and rushing ability that has earned him vast recognition since his first offer rolled in on June 8, 2021.
(Hey fever, watch the game film in this article and tell about the quality of the opponent, cause they look like Jr High size players to me. --- That's a reference to fever's diss comments about Brown's HS opponents....)

Lagway has accounted for 2,292 yards, 36 touchdowns and 4 interceptions on 75% completion through the air while adding 346 yards and 5 scores on the ground through 7 games of his senior campaign.
He's slightly better than Brown's Sr HS passing, but not nearly as good at running the ball as a dual threat QB. - Credit where it's due.

Been reading around and these are just comments on some of what I've been reading....

Facing a 2-3 South Carolina team,,,,, "I think they're very good at what they do," Napier said. --- The iG says WTF??? That might be part of the problem Billy believes that a 2-3 record is being very good at what you do.....

Mertz is throwing for an 80% (dink & dunk junk) completion rate, which is good for #80 in FBS at 27.2 Pts/Gm, while going 4-2 in 6 games. They have scored 30+ Pts in just 2 games, vs D2 McNeeseSt and the Candy Commies.

==========

Just me, but I might try Jaydon Hill, or maybe Jalen Kimber at free safety.
When a receiver beats the CB and there's nobody deep behind them to help out, then that's a safety position issue imo....

And does anyone know if CB Jason Marshall has a new squeeze, or some other such off the field problems, cause he seems to not be playing up to his 5-star ranking so far this season....
==========

New 5-star Lagway has proved to be an uber-productive passer for Willis (Texas) High School, showcasing the arm strength, prowess to make throws from the pocket and on the move and rushing ability that has earned him vast recognition since his first offer rolled in on June 8, 2021.
(Hey fever, watch the game film in this article and tell about the quality of the opponent, cause they look like Jr High size players to me. --- That's a reference to fever's diss comments about Brown's HS opponents....)

Lagway has accounted for 2,292 yards, 36 touchdowns and 4 interceptions on 75% completion through the air while adding 346 yards and 5 scores on the ground through 7 games of his senior campaign.
He's slightly better than Brown's Sr HS passing, but not nearly as good at running the ball as a dual threat QB. - Credit where it's due.

Really looking forward to having Lagway on the team. Seems to have tons of talent as well as leadership qualities.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Mertz has played much better than I thought he would. He's shown some mobility, while being very accurate with the passes he's called on to throw. The line simply can't protect well enough for many deep or even intermediate passes to develop. Maybe Brown can run around a little bit better, but what do we know about his decision-making and accuracy on the move? It would seem that practices and scrimmages must have shown Mertz to be the better overall leader and player. My belief is that Mertz simply gives us a better chance to win. Others may disagree and that's fine. But Mertz is a plus to the offense from what I've seen. It all starts and ends with the line play, IMO.
I saw nobody at the beginning of the season supporting Mertz. We all thought he was going to be a train wreck. Including me. I figured he would have been benched by now. But he has been way better than anyone anticipated. And you are spot on, it is pretty clear he gives us the best chance to win. As knowledgeable football fans recognize, offensive line, predictable and simple play calling, have been bigger issues. Hopeful we can find 2 more wins.

• Haha
Really looking forward to having Lagway on the team. Seems to have tons of talent as well as leadership qualities.
Me too ocala, but then I thought the same when Billy flipped Brown to UF....

I'd be a lot happier with dual threat QB's Lagway and Brown, if they had a real OC/QB's coach to coach them up, and a game plan and plays that fit their talents....

Making too many excuses for him. He simply isn't pulling the trigger many times before dumping it off short. If anyone wants to compare the time Mertz holds the ball to someone like Daniels at LSU or Dart at Ole Miss we can and I bet he releases his passes on average with more time. 80% completion doesn't mean squat throwing the short crap we are throwing.

I would be curious to know how many times a game does Mertz average even throwing the ball 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage.

I stopped doing it, but has anyone else kept up with Mertz's season sack totals???

I believe he gave up 2 two sacks to Candy, plus an intentional grounding call that would have been a 3rd sack,,, and that's to freakin' Candy....
:oops:

They talk about his 80% and only 2 intercxeptions, but notice that they avoid the sack issue, the Yds/Att, and the Pts/Gm...

I stopped doing it, but has anyone else kept up with Mertz's season sack totals???

I believe he gave up 2 two sacks to Candy, plus an intentional grounding call that would have been a 3rd sack,,, and that's to freakin' Candy....
:oops:

They talk about his 80% and only 2 intercxeptions, but notice that they avoid the sack issue, the Yds/Att, and the Pts/Gm...

I just know what we are doing now won't work most times against good teams unless the defense is really playing good.

The Gators are averaging giving up 2.50 sacks per game, with 15 total for losses of 118 yards. That's 98th in D1. On defense, we're averaging 1.50 sacks per game, with 9 total for 78 yards in losses. That's 108th in D1. Neither is good.

• Sad
The Gators are averaging giving up 2.50 sacks per game, with 15 total for losses of 118 yards. That's 98th in D1. On defense, we're averaging 1.50 sacks per game, with 9 total for 78 yards in losses. That's 108th in D1. Neither is good.

Some of those are on Mertz though. He tripped, had his outlet open etc and still took the sack. The guy we play this week has had less time than Mertz but our pass rush hasn't been that good so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT