ADVERTISEMENT

Football What does Napier do now with the Lagway situation?

University of Florida head coach Billy Napier will start Graham Mertz against Texas A&M on Saturday he told reporters on Monday. Billy Napier, through an unknown metric, maybe a fussy water bottle, truly believes that starting Mertz actually benefits the program. This doesn't reflect upon Graham Mertz, but he possesses six seasons of film and people know what to expect. The decision to start Mertz does not sit right with so many and will continue to drive a wedge between the coach and the program.

The Napier/Mertz combo had a 5-7 LOSER season, followed by an embarrassing 2024 debut blowout LOSS to the scUM thugs, so let's just go with that loser team chit yet again....
Mertz 17 - 41 scUM - (while DJ had the ONLY sustained drive for a TD using the same players)
Lagway 45 - 7 Samford (while Graham watched from the sideline)

Arrogance and Stupidity in a single package! How efficient of CBN, yet again....

It's official now,,, the iG has now reluctantly joined the FIRE NAPIER NOW block of disgusted Gator fans.

University of Florida head coach Billy Napier will start Graham Mertz against Texas A&M on Saturday he told reporters on Monday. Billy Napier, through an unknown metric, maybe a fussy water bottle, truly believes that starting Mertz actually benefits the program. This doesn't reflect upon Graham Mertz, but he possesses six seasons of film and people know what to expect. The decision to start Mertz does not sit right with so many and will continue to drive a wedge between the coach and the program.

The Napier/Mertz combo had a 5-7 LOSER season, followed by an embarrassing 2024 debut blowout LOSS to the scUM thugs, so let's just go with that loser team chit yet again....
Mertz 17 - 41 scUM - (while DJ had the ONLY sustained drive for a TD using the same players)

Arrogance and Stupidity in a single package! How efficient of CBN, yet again....

It's official now,,, the iG has now reluctantly joined the FIRE NAPIER NOW block of disgusted Gator fans.

I think we might beat A&M but if things don't go well I wonder what it would take for Napier to make the switch during the game. Would he do it around halftime or early 2nd half if we were down 10 points? Also if Mertz was struggling for a while and we were losing the crowd is likely to get vocal after watching Lagway play the previous week.

I like Graham Mertz, but this a STUPID decision by Billy Napier.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Florida Gators head coach Billy Napier needs to make the decision that is best interest of the program, and that's quarterback DJ Lagway. The fans in attendance made that sentiment clear with chants of “D-J, Lag-Way” echoing The Swamp after each of the five-star’s touchdown passes.

"Yeah, I was chanting with them," said (5-star) WR Eugene Wilson III, (SEC All Fr team) -- He was more than extraordinary against the Bulldogs. His performance was transcendent. With Lagway in the game, even the defense began to play better.

“I was just locked into the task at hand,” Lagway said. “My coach is telling me one play at a time. That's what it is, just executing one play at a time. Just getting my guys involved, just getting everybody involved with the ball, that's the biggest thing.”

Let’s also get one more thing clear before we dive in: Graham Mertz would have beaten Samford one way or another. This simply isn’t a knock on him, but the offense is simply different when Lagway is in the game. Lagway made more big-time throws in one night as a starter than Mertz has yet to make in a now-six-year career. In the entirety of last season, Mertz completed five passes of at least 40 yards. Lagway accomplished that feat in one night. Three of those came in his first-four throws.

There’s also the simple threat of Lagway’s legs. He didn’t rush much on Saturday, but his ability forced Samford to respect it. Play-action fakes, bootlegs and other moves opened up the passing game so much more, and it’s something defense’s don’t take seriously when Mertz is under center.

“We're going to stay the course, and much like we described in the beginning, we'll have a plan for DJ every week going forward,"
Napier said. (pants on fire imo, DJ didn't play a single down vs scUM until Mertz went out injured at the end of the 3rd Qtr, proving to be yet another moronic game plan)

JMOHO but Mertz shouldn't lose his job due to a one game injury. Instead, he should lose his job because DJ is the better choice at QB 'for this team's current roster' ....

Florida Gators head coach Billy Napier needs to make the decision that is best interest of the program, and that's quarterback DJ Lagway. The fans in attendance made that sentiment clear with chants of “D-J, Lag-Way” echoing The Swamp after each of the five-star’s touchdown passes.

"Yeah, I was chanting with them," said (5-star) WR Eugene Wilson III, (SEC All Fr team) -- He was more than extraordinary against the Bulldogs. His performance was transcendent. With Lagway in the game, even the defense began to play better.

“I was just locked into the task at hand,” Lagway said. “My coach is telling me one play at a time. That's what it is, just executing one play at a time. Just getting my guys involved, just getting everybody involved with the ball, that's the biggest thing.”

Let’s also get one more thing clear before we dive in: Graham Mertz would have beaten Samford one way or another. This simply isn’t a knock on him, but the offense is simply different when Lagway is in the game. Lagway made more big-time throws in one night as a starter than Mertz has yet to make in a now-six-year career. In the entirety of last season, Mertz completed five passes of at least 40 yards. Lagway accomplished that feat in one night. Three of those came in his first-four throws.

There’s also the simple threat of Lagway’s legs. He didn’t rush much on Saturday, but his ability forced Samford to respect it. Play-action fakes, bootlegs and other moves opened up the passing game so much more, and it’s something defense’s don’t take seriously when Mertz is under center.

“We're going to stay the course, and much like we described in the beginning, we'll have a plan for DJ every week going forward,"
Napier said. (pants on fire imo, DJ didn't play a single down vs scUM until Mertz went out injured at the end of the 3rd Qtr, proving to be yet another moronic game plan)

JMOHO but Mertz shouldn't lose his job due to a one game injury. Instead, he should lose his job because DJ is the better choice at QB 'for this team's current roster' ....

I just hope he will make a change if needed before we get into too big of a hole if it comes to that. You don't want Lagway coming in when the defense isn't worried about your running game anymore.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Mertz is a 5-6 season KNOWN quality at QB, he is what his film shows he is and that's not going to change.

DJ's showed what he can do with the only sustained TD drive vs the scUM.
Then he followed that up with a record setting debut as a true Fr starter vs Samford.
He should be the starter vs aTm so everyone can find out if he's what some of us think he is.

The iG wanted him prepped to be the starter upon his arrival at UF for the 2024 season, with Mertz being his experience backup.
While Graham is a good guy, DJ is a good guy and the better choice at QB, especially with the current roster.

First round draft pick Anthony Richardson was a 6-6 QB, so blaming Mertz for only being 5-6 is ridiculous to me. There are many more obvious problems than QB that caused our poor record under Napier. And we will more than likely have another losing record this year, probably a worse record than in 2022 or 2023. With that said, DJ Lagway DESERVES the start against Texas A&M and should be named the starter for the rest of the year, IMO. If we can get him to stay in Gainesville, he is the future. His mobility covers up blocking weaknesses and his down-the-filed accuracy was proven last Saturday night. He gives this team a much better chance to win against SEC teams than Graham Mertz. It's not a matter of what Mertz has done or not done, but simply that DJ has more talent and we need our best talent on the field at ALL positions.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
First round draft pick Anthony Richardson was a 6-6 QB, so blaming Mertz for only being 5-6 is ridiculous to me. There are many more obvious problems than QB that caused our poor record under Napier. And we will more than likely have another losing record this year, probably a worse record than in 2022 or 2023. With that said, DJ Lagway DESERVES the start against Texas A&M and should be named the starter for the rest of the year, IMO. If we can get him to stay in Gainesville, he is the future. His mobility covers up blocking weaknesses and his down-the-filed accuracy was proven last Saturday night. He gives this team a much better chance to win against SEC teams than Graham Mertz. It's not a matter of what Mertz has done or not done, but simply that DJ has more talent and we need our best talent on the field at ALL positions.

We had 2 limited QBs. One that couldn't hit easy short passes and one that struggles with the longer stuff. Curious to see if the NFL ever makes Richardson a good QB or not.

Reactions: emekz1

This long pass looked pretty good. This guy is some kind of athlete. Agree it’s unknown whether he can play qb though.

A great QB can carry a team a bit easier in college, even easier in HS....
In the Pros, it's a lot harder to do. You need a team and a coach/system that fits the QB.
But I too always liked AR-15.

"Like everyone else, Napier can’t ignore what he saw from Lagway."

Why not, he ignored it all off season and into the 3rd Qtr vs the scUM, and only after the Mertz injury was he forced to finally play Lagway and that was after claiming that he'd have packages for Lagway all off season.

"For one, Mike Elko is an excellent defensive mind and he’ll have Napier’s offense well-scouted."

You mean like the scUM's DC knew what CBN's 7 play offense would be like?

"Mertz was the SEC’s most accurate returning passer (72.2%) and ranked No. 2 in success rate among returning SEC quarterbacks entering the season. He also ranked No. 2 in success rate on throws with an average depth of target under 5 yards, per PFF." -- The longest Mertz pass vs scUM was for 19 yards, with a 91 Yd passing total in 3 Qtrs.

While true Fr Lagway came in for his 1st start and threw for 72% while making 9 20+ yard pass completions and 5 of those went for over 40 Yds, instead of the dink & dunk junk that Mertz throws.

"Mertz is also a strong “quick read” quarterback. This will be valuable against A&M’s outstanding defensive line, where Napier will want to have plays in place for Florida to get the ball out quick and offset the impact of the Aggies’ formidable front seven."

A 'Quick Read' with 83 career sacks....

"In Gainesville, at least for now, there will be no change (in starter)."

Marvelous....
🙄

The Richardson play is impressive, but feels almost flukish…throw it as far as possible and dude just happens to be in the right spot…not sure he can sustain long-term success that way.

Saw some game breakdown on Richardson and he has a lot to learn still or he will be a huge bust. A lot of it reminded me of his play here. He still is struggling with reading the field when he drops back.

Reactions: emekz1
Pretty good analysis, IMO. Although, to me, Lagway should be THE guy from now on.
He completely ignores that Napier has limitations as a coach. Our Oline and Dline are both really bad. Can Lagway cover up some of the oline deficiencies? Maybe. All we heard from some last year is that Brown was the answer to that...and we saw those results. Miami is probably the 6th best team on our schedule.

Never in the history of college football has a player benefited more or been more hyped after one win against Samford.
True BUT...he has the stature and history to justify it somewhat. Gatorade Naitonal player of the year...by most accounts one of the top 2-3 QBs coming out from high school.

And though Samford is a division 2 school, I don't recall Mertz throwing for 450 yards against any div 2 schools last year.

The hype is justified and his upside is undeniable.

• Love
Richardson was hyped just as much after his play against some lesser teams. We don't know what will happen if he is thrown into the fire but one good sign is Shane Matthews who seems to get most things wrong on the Gators in recent years seems to think Lagway isn't ready yet to take over based on watching practice and some scrimmages. Him saying that gives me more hope Lagway might can handle it and give us a better chance to win than Mertz.
This is spot on. I have seen guys that couldn’t get out of their own way in practice but let them get on the field in front of everyone and they suddenly emerge.

True BUT...he has the stature and history to justify it somewhat. Gatorade Naitonal player of the year...by most accounts one of the top 2-3 QBs coming out from high school.

And though Samford is a division 2 school, I don't recall Mertz throwing for 450 yards against any div 2 schools last year.

The hype is justified and his upside is undeniable.
Mertz threw for 423 at South Carolina. Also the 450 for Lagway is inflated by an 80 yard basically run by Wilson. Lagway should start, as he is the future of the program.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

Yep Shane thinking its too soon to go to Lagway because of what he saw at practice and the scrimmages may be a good sign Lagway wont totally fall apart if put in there. He is usually wrong with his view on things to do with the team more than the message board fans like us. Well since the Tebow days anyway.

Last edited:
Does anyone believe that Napier can develop DJ, or even come up with an offensive game plan that can capitalize on his talent? Stubborn should have turned over play calling after last year.
No - honestly - anything that DJ does that's outstanding is just him doing it. Or at least this, I don't know who BN has developed over that last 5-7 years where you'd show as an example of BN's developing skills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT