ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on this Florida team......

Mullen was a grave disappointment to us all. We pinned him as the one to bring us back to the glory years. He was on the right track until his laziness and arrogance cost him. And unfortunately our program. I don't think any big-time P5 schools will touch him considering his lack of recruiting prowess among other things. In comparison to Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian, Mullen can't hold candle stick to any of those two. Sark is the best of the three obviously because he will hit the recruiting trail/transfer portal hard.

Looks like USC made a retarded move by firing Sarkisian's drunk ass.

I wish Napier could be relieved of his play calling duties before the season ends and then maybe he could finally figure out how to field 11 players and maybe run an actual 2 minute offense. It's clear his thinking is affecting the QB also as Mertz won't pull the trigger downfied unless he is really sure there is not much of a chance of something bad happening. Both games when we are trailing by multiple scores late we are running a lot of plays with the receivers short of the chains or dumping it to RBs. Craziest offensive mess I can remember.

Who do you suggest would “relieve” Napier of his play calling duties?

If you want to break the news to him, sadgator will come with you for moral support.

Napier getting away with Muschamp ball at LA is hurting us. I have no idea but I hope after the season they get a play caller with a different mentality. I saw Napier's comments after being hired and there was a lot of talk about always physically dominating and all that stuff. I hope he didn't think that he could just power over most SEC teams and just have the QB mostly throw within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage on most passing plays. I can't remember Muschamp even running so much on 3rd down with over 5 yards to go.

It's very obvious Insta should be calling the plays.
The “Fun ‘N Bleezgar”…

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Did one of our 2 O line coaches call plays before. If so and if he didn't call the same Napier game plan of running on 3rd and long and throwing all passes a few yards within the line of scrimmage when you are down 3 scores late it may be worth a try. Even Muschamp let Driskel do his thing when we needed to score late in the game.

Napier says he has confidence in what we do and how we do it.

"I think I like what I hear from our players just spending time with them here yesterday and then having met with the leadership group earlier. It's good when your players have perspective. They do want to do better."

Napier said he's a lot more critical of himself than "anyone on the outside is," and that he will continue to be the play caller.

"You lose as a result of not playing winning football”

"I don't necessarily think we lack physicality. Nobody asked that after Tennessee."

Billy Napiers Original Calling Card apon arriving at UF was: Scared Money Don't Make Money.
Player or Coach -- You are what your film and your stats say you are....

QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsFr - Tulsa, Ok, Lincoln Christian HS

P - 167 of 235, 71.1% for 2,750 yds, 16.5 yd/comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
R - 173 for
1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, ZERO fumbles.
Total Offense - 308 Plays for 4,093 Yds, 13.3 Yds/Play, 61 TD's, to 4 Turnovers....
HS Sr and only his 2nd year playing QB = 14 Gms - 13-1, 6-0 Conf. State Champ Runner-up with a 6 Pt loss to the Champ. As the State Champ runner-up, he was still voted the Okla 3A MVP over the Champs QB.

When Billy flipped Max Brown to UF, I mistakenly believed that he knew what he was doing.
I guess that's proof positive that I'm not always correct on what I initially believe.... 😒

And with the 50+ monster staff he has, that Dan didn't have, how many 5 Stars has he already put on the roster, and how many are on the current 2024 commit list???

After watching this season unfold, how many will remain by ESD?
Seems to me that there are still many questions yet to be fully answered....
🤓

Last edited:
Billy Napiers Original Calling Card apon arriving at UF was: Scared Money Don't Make Money.
Player or Coach -- You are what your film and your stats say your are....

QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsFr - Tulsa, Ok, Lincoln Christian HS

P - 167 of 235, 71.1% for 2,750 yds, 16.5 yd/comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
R - 173 for
1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, ZERO fumbles.
Total Offense - 308 Plays for 4,093 Yds, 13.3 Yds/Play, 61 TD's, to 4 Turnovers....
HS Sr and only his 2nd year playing QB = 14 Gms - 13-1, 6-0 Conf. State Champ Runner-up with a 6 Pt loss to the Champ. As the State Champ runner-up, he was still voted the Okla 3A MVP over the Champs QB.

When Billy flipped Max Brown to UF, I mistakenly believed that he knew what he was doing.
I guess that's proof positive that I'm not always correct on what I initially believe.... 😒
And with the 50+ monster staff he has, that Dan didn't have, how many 5 Stars has he already put on the roster, and how many are on the current 2024 commit list???
After watching this season unfold, how many will remain by ESD?

Seems to me that there are still many questions yet to be fully answered....
🤓

Don't worry Coach Napier has our passing attack dialed in. Nearly an 80% completion rate on passes and one of the highest % in all of college football. If the running game would just carry its load when called upon on 3rd and long this deadly accurate Billy Ball passing game would torch opposing defenses.

Don't worry Coach Napier has our passing attack dialed in. Nearly an 80% completion rate on passes and one of the highest % in all of college football. If the running game would just carry its load when called upon on 3rd and long this deadly accurate Billy Ball passing game would torch opposing defenses.
😲

Sarcasm is the caustic use of words, often in a humorous way, to mock someone or something. Sarcasm may employ ambivalence, although it is not necessarily ironic. Most noticeable in spoken word, sarcasm is mainly distinguished by the inflection with which it is spoken or, with an undercurrent of irony, by the extreme disproportion of the comment to the situation, and is largely context-dependent.
An appropriate use of sarcasm fever, and it was well used imo... 😉

When do you and insta head over to set things straight? And don't forget to take insta's websters with you so ole nappy head isn't confused by sarcasm.

Some interesting stats I just read. Florida is tied for 128th (last in FBS) in turnovers gained. We are 116th in 3rd down conversion success and 114th in 4th down conversion success. Our red zone offense is #35, red zone defense #52. We are #51 in passing offense, #62 in rushing offense and #55 in total offense. And we rank #13 in total defense. We are #83 in average number of penalties per game and #10 in net punting. We are tied for #76 in sacks allowed and tied for #87 in team sacks

Reactions: bradleygator
Some interesting stats I just read. Florida is tied for 128th (last in FBS) in turnovers gained. We are 116th in 3rd down conversion success and 114th in 4th down conversion success. Our red zone offense is #35, red zone defense #52. We are #51 in passing offense, #62 in rushing offense and #55 in total offense. And we rank #13 in total defense. We are #83 in average number of penalties per game and #10 in net punting. We are tied for #76 in sacks allowed and tied for #87 in team sacks
Keep in mind on a lot of those third downs, we’re running on third and nine to set up fourth and 7.

I highly doubt our red zone TD % is #35 area. We are a joke in most offensive stats that mean a lot. I think we are the lowest scoring team in the SEC so far.

Last edited:
I highly doubt our red zone TD % is #35 area. We are a joke in most offensive stats that mean a lot. I think we are the lowest scoring team in the SEC so far.
The stat the NCAA uses is red zone scores, not just TD's. We've scored 18 times out of 20 trips to the red zone - 12 TD's, 6 FG's. In regards to scoring offense, you are correct. We are last in the SEC, 91st in FBS in points per game at 25. Scoring defense we are tied with Alabama for 17th in FBS at 13.50 ppg.
In total offense, Florida is 10th in the SEC, passing offense 8th, rushing offense 10th and receiving yards per game 8thm last in yards per reception.

Reactions: instaGATOR
When you have a weak OL, what is better to have behind them, a QB-pp or a QB-dt???
And which is a better asset to aid the running game??? The same questions that I put forward to begin the season....

IF they are going to have a losing season anyway, which kind of QB would better prepare next years team for the assumed savior, QB-dt Lagway? --- Questions abound.....🤦‍♂️

When you have a weak OL, what is better to have behind them, a QB-pp or a QB-dt???
And which is a better asset to aid the running game??? The same questions that I put forward to begin the season....

IF they are going to have a losing season anyway, which kind of QB would better prepare next years team for the assumed savior, QB-dt Lagway? --- Questions abound.....🤦‍♂️
We had that last year with a much better offensive line. So now we are in year 2 with similar results. So what else you got?

• Haha
The stat the NCAA uses is red zone scores, not just TD's. We've scored 18 times out of 20 trips to the red zone - 12 TD's, 6 FG's. In regards to scoring offense, you are correct. We are last in the SEC, 91st in FBS in points per game at 25. Scoring defense we are tied with Alabama for 17th in FBS at 13.50 ppg.
In total offense, Florida is 10th in the SEC, passing offense 8th, rushing offense 10th and receiving yards per game 8thm last in yards per reception.

So we must be stalling out at the 25 to 30 yard line area a lot then and coming up short of the red zone quite a bit.

The stat the NCAA uses is red zone scores, not just TD's. We've scored 18 times out of 20 trips to the red zone - 12 TD's, 6 FG's. In regards to scoring offense, you are correct. We are last in the SEC, 91st in FBS in points per game at 25.

Is this the same offense that he intends to run next season with QB-dt Lagway?

And if he can't coach up (high potential highly under-rated - Billy's comments after flipping) rsFr QB-dt Max Brown enough to see the field in games in his 2nd season, then what hope is there that he'll be able to do it with true Fr Lagway in 2024???

2024 QB room if everything remains the same:

QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 215 rsSr

QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 210 rsJr

QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsSo

QB-dt Parker Lesie 6-2 215 rsFr

QB-dt DJ Lagway 6-2 225 Fr

Is this the same offense that he intends to run next season with QB-dt Lagway?

And if he can't coach up (high potential highly under-rated - Billy's comments after flipping) rsFr QB-dt Max Brown enough to see the field in games in his 2nd season, then what hope is there that he'll be able to do it with true Fr Lagway in 2024???

2024 QB room if everything remains the same:

QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 215 rsSr

QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 210 rsJr

QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsSo

QB-dt Parker Lesie 6-2 215 rsFr

QB-dt DJ Lagway 6-2 225 Fr
Enough games with two different types of QBs and same results. Thus far I don't see anything that indicates things will be better with Lagway.

• Sad
Lagway is a serious talent. Billy’s not going anywhere. We owe him too much money. So it will be put up or shut up time next year.

Billy imo is gone at the end of next season if he can't get his act together. I hope he doesn't continue producing like this or Lagway may bail on us. We at least scored against most FBS opponents last regular season and this Utah and KY offense stuff has to be corrected.

I see what makes it seem better. 6 of our 7 TDs against FCS McNeese were red zone scores. On just scoring a TD or a FG we are # 57 ranked in college games against FBS opponents. So against FBS teams we are 6 TDs and 6 FGs out of 14 times in the red zone.

I was admittedly optimistic with this hire due to the emphasis on an increased coaching staff and recruiting.

It's been a long time since I saw play calling that was innovative. Even Mullen's offense was boring and had little variety. Even our opponents called UF out on it (USC defensive player said it was predictable).

I should have been more mindful of Miss State criticizing him of that when he was the HC there.

A great qb can hide a lot of team's flaws....in the sense that it's not completely ignored, but it's not stressed as much as it should in order for it to be corrected. This is what happened when Mullen had Dak Prescott and then later Kyle Trask.

Napier doesn't have a high performing qb and we can see the same flaws more clearly. We don't have the players that can make up for the bland and predictable play calling. There's so many flaws on both sides of the ball that Napier is in over his head. The SEC is only going to get harder with the inclusion of OU and Texas.

Napier is not the guy who can rebuild a program at this level.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I was admittedly optimistic with this hire due to the emphasis on an increased coaching staff and recruiting.

It's been a long time since I saw play calling that was innovative. Even Mullen's offense was boring and had little variety. Even our opponents called UF out on it (USC defensive player said it was predictable).

I should have been more mindful of Miss State criticizing him of that when he was the HC there.

A great qb can hide a lot of team's flaws....in the sense that it's not completely ignored, but it's not stressed as much as it should in order for it to be corrected. This is what happened when Mullen had Dak Prescott and then later Kyle Trask.

Napier doesn't have a high performing qb and we can see the same flaws more clearly. We don't have the players that can make up for the bland and predictable play calling. There's so many flaws on both sides of the ball that Napier is in over his head. The SEC is only going to get harder with the inclusion of OU and Texas.

I hope you are wrong because he can obviously get talent. Can he see his own shortcomings and add an OC?

The only prayer we have is if we get an OC with a different mindset than him. Looking at next year's schedule Napier will very likely be gone after 2024 if we don't beat Miami. Miami if their QB returns will likely beat us early in the Swamp and the SEC schedule is murderers row. If we don't get a legit OC that will open things up I think the fan base will be in full meltdown mode by the middle of 2024.

Reactions: gatordad3
I don't think the Gators are running the wrong plays. They just don't have the players right now. Etienne is special but Mertz isn't good so it makes everything look worse.

They also look completely different at home vs away

I don't think the Gators are running the wrong plays. They just don't have the players right now. Etienne is special but Mertz isn't good so it makes everything look worse.

I know you all are loving it but our play calling is a complete joke. We would need the Bama 09 roster to have a chance to do big things running this nonsense. I don't think Saban was even crazy enough back then to run on so many 3rd and longs.

Reactions: fsu939913

That is exaggerated as we scored a lot on away games last season. Defense was better at home I guess. The offense has been a mess in every FBS game this year except TN. The defense has only crapped the bed once so far this season.

Reactions: fsu939913
That is exaggerated as we scored a lot on away games last season. Defense was better at home I guess. The offense has been a mess in every FBS game this year except TN. The defense has only crapped the bed once so far this season.
The offense has 1 good half of football this year and that came in the first half against Vols. The defense had 1 bad half of football and that came against Cats. I suspect the D will be solid the remainder of the year after the disastrous first half in lexington. The O, however, is what it is and won't improve.

The offense has 1 good half of football this year and that came in the first half against Vols. The defense had 1 bad half of football and that came against Cats. I suspect the D will be solid the remainder of the year after the disastrous first half in lexington. The O, however, is what it is and won't improve.

We will see. If Daniels is healthy I think LSU may score a little on us. Georgia I am not sure as they seem to sleep walk the first half of games. If the SC QB is on that game they can score a little also. I hope it holds up pretty good though.

We will see. If Daniels is healthy I think LSU may score a little on us. Georgia I am not sure as they seem to sleep walk the first half of games. If the SC QB is on that game they can score a little also. I hope it holds up pretty good though.
Sure, lsu is absolutely going to score. Dawgs are not as good as past 2 years. SC is a wild card. If their QB plays well they can put up points. Problem is he has been inconsistent. Noles will put up points too.

Some people are saying there has been talk about Jeff Scott becoming our OC next season. Not sure if that is a great idea as he would probably just be a yes man for Napier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT