ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

Good news. But getting a commitment and getting a signature on an NLI are 2 different things and if the team doesn't perform in the fall, some of these big time commitments will change their minds.

IF---------if---if---if...............
And if do-do didn't stink, then it might smell good....

Time to look for and hope for the positive, because the negative will,,,, or it won't happen.
Worrying about it now is a waste of time imoho....

IF---------if---if---if...............
And if do-do didn't stink, then it might smell good....

Time to look for and hope for the positive, because the negative will,,,, or it won't happen.
Worrying about it now is a waste of time imoho....
If, if if, is all those who are projecting 7, 8 or more wins are doing. If this happens, if that happens we can do it. Well, what IF they don't happen? Not worrying. I don't worry. Being overly positive is a waste of time as well. The game results will speak for themselves. Nothing any message board posters say will have anything to do with that. Those who don't look at the past and learn from it are destined to repeat it. 3 losing seasons in a row and we're supposed to be positve and upbeat??!! On what basis - a bunch of if's. Just stating facts, my man.

Last edited:
If is where the world begins most times on any msg brd, so we can all have at it.
I (and-U) do it all the time here, no big deal either way, my dude...

Reactions: ocalaman
Good news. But getting a commitment and getting a signature on an NLI are 2 different things and if the team doesn't perform in the fall, some of these big time commitments will change their minds.
I hope Billy is giving transparency here and being honest about the schedule being crazy this year, but they are going to be the ground floor of a UF resurgence.

Having said that, it's starting to feel like the pre-Spurs days, when UF would have great WR's and QB's while the top SEC teams had great D and O-lines and we would get squashed by them. Let's see some big uglies signing up, Billyboy! ;)

"The thing about smart people is, that they seem like crazy people, to dumb people." -- Stephen Hawking

Reactions: Gator Fever

Hopefully we can run the ball alright on them. Our rushing was way down last year but it was mostly from not having a QB running for a lot like in 2022. I think Johnsons numbers per carry were about the same as they were in 2022.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Hopefully we can run the ball alright on them. Our rushing was way down last year but it was mostly from not having a QB running for a lot like in 2022. I think Johnsons numbers per carry were about the same as they were in 2022.
The full with quality RB room gives me hope, as does an improved OL.
The HC and starting QB remain to be seen.....

Reactions: gatordad3
The full with quality RB room gives me hope, as does an improved OL.
The HC and starting QB remain to be seen.....
We need the offense to pick up where it left off prior to Mertz's injury. First 5 games the Gators averaged 25 points per game. And that included games against Charlotte and McNeese St. The last 6 games before FSU the Gators averaged 33.4 points per game. So my hope is we won't have the anemic start on offense that we had last season.

The 2023 Pass Defense was the worst it's been in years, so here's where they are to begin Fall practice. It seems that all of the secondary positions are open for anyone to win starting roles.

CB Jordan - TJ Searcy - Cormani McClain

CB Bryce Thornton - Josiah Davis

FS Jordan Castell - DJ Douglas - Bryce Thornton

SS Asa Turner - DJ Douglas - Gregory Smith III

STAR Shariff 'Rif' Denson - Aaron Gates - Josiah Davis

DB Any Position - Trikweze Bridges

Coaching -
In late May, the Gators brought in Beyah Rasool from Bowling Green to serve as an off-field analyst working with the cornerbacks. Under Rasool's watch in 2023, Bowling Green's secondary was an impressive unit. The secondary finished the year ranked No. 4 nationally with 17 interceptions (Gators had 3 season Ints), and the Falcons led the nation in takeaways (28). As a whole, the BGSU defense finished the 2023 campaign ranked No. 25 in the nation in total defense (326.1) and No. 12 in the nation in passing yards allowed (179.8).
Rasool >> CB's ----- Harris >> Safeties & Overall

The 2023 Pass Defense was the worst it's been in years, so here's where they are to begin Fall practice. It seems that all of the secondary positions are open for anyone to win starting roles.

CB Jordan - TJ Searcy - Cormani McClain

CB Bryce Thornton - Josiah Davis

FS Jordan Castell - DJ Douglas - Bryce Thornton

SS Asa Turner - DJ Douglas - Gregory Smith III

STAR Shariff 'Rif' Denson - Aaron Gates - Josiah Davis

DB Any Position - Trikweze Bridges

Coaching -
In late May, the Gators brought in Beyah Rasool from Bowling Green to serve as an off-field analyst working with the cornerbacks. Under Rasool's watch in 2023, Bowling Green's secondary was an impressive unit. The secondary finished the year ranked No. 4 nationally with 17 interceptions (Gators had 3 season Ints), and the Falcons led the nation in takeaways (28). As a whole, the BGSU defense finished the 2023 campaign ranked No. 25 in the nation in total defense (326.1) and No. 12 in the nation in passing yards allowed (179.8).
Rasool >> CB's ----- Harris >> Safeties & Overall

Not sure I would call it open as the Spring probably told us the likely starters. That portal WR we got after Spring looks good enough to knock someone out of a starting WR job though.
You forgot to list the 2 starting CBs.

Last edited:
Not sure I would call it open as the Spring probably told us the likely starters. That portal WR we got after Spring looks good enough to knock someone out of a starting WR job though.
You forgot to list the 2 starting CBs.
Instead of telling me what I forgot to list, why don't you post who you think are going to be the starters in the secondary, so we can see if you're correct or not?

Looking at the OL and wondering how the starters and depth chart settles out for 2024???

LT Austin Barber 6-6 316 rsJr
LT Devon Manuel 6-7 319 - rsJr - Ark xfer
LT Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson 6-7 315 rsSr - SDSt xfer
LT Mike Williams 6-6 313 Fr

LG;/OC Jason Zandamela 6-3 306 Fr - #1 IOL to USC commit, then xfer to UF
LG Roderick Kearney 6-4 302 rsFr
LG Noel Portnjagin 6-5 322 Fr

OC/OG Jake Slaughter 6-4.5 297 rsJr

RG Knijeah Harris 6-3 323 So

RG Christian Williams 6-4 304 rsSo
RG Bryce Lovett 6-5 325 rsFr

RT Damieon George Jr 6-6 362 rsJr
RT Kamryn Waites 6-8 350 rsJr

RT Caden Jones 6-7 336 rsFr
RT Fletcher Westphal 6-8 325 Fr

OL Mark Pitts 6-6 315 rsJr - WO
Ol Bryan Rosenberg 6-3 258 rsFr - WO
OL Connor Homa 6-2 320 rsFr - WO

Anyone want to try and guess the starters?
(I had to guess at some of the positions they might be playing...)

TE Keon Zipperer 6-1 246 rsSr - (he was injured out in 2023)
TE Hayden Hansen 6-6 272 rsSo
TE Arlis Boardingham 6-3 238 rsSo

TE Tony Livingston 6-5 253 So
TE Gavin Hill 6-3 253 rsFr
TE Scott Isacks 6-4 255 rsSo - PWO

Has he arrived? He's not listed on the current (Spring) roster... (roster update needed)
TE Amir Jackson 6-4 223 Fr - Expected to arrive during the summer.
The Gators were one of the first Power 5 programs to extend Jackson a scholarship offer, on Jan. 28, and schools such as Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama followed suit throughout the spring. A versatile talent for Portal, Jackson produced 86 receptions for 1,437 yards and 17 touchdowns, rushed 46 times for 388 yards and five touchdowns, and accumulated 151 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, seven forced fumbles and four pass breakups defensively over three varsity seasons.
On the basketball court, Jackson has averaged a double-double per game since his freshman year. He'll catch passes in UF's offense at tight end. (touted as a Kyle Pitts type of TE,,,, here's to hoping)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Looking at the OL and wondering how the starters and depth chart settles out for 2024???

Has he arrived? He's not listed on the current (Spring) roster... (roster update needed)
The Gators were one of the first Power 5 programs to extend Jackson a scholarship offer, on Jan. 28, and schools such as Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama followed suit throughout the spring. A versatile talent for Portal, Jackson produced 86 receptions for 1,437 yards and 17 touchdowns, rushed 46 times for 388 yards and five touchdowns, and accumulated 151 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, seven forced fumbles and four pass breakups defensively over three varsity seasons.
On the basketball court, Jackson has averaged a double-double per game since his freshman year. He'll catch passes in UF's offense at tight end. (touted as a Kyle Pitts type of TE,,,, here's to hoping)
Will be interesting to see how the line plays out. I think Barber and George probably the only 2 guaranteed starters. I think the other spots up for grabs.

George got moved to Guard didn't he? He was pretty bad at Tackle last season. Speed rushers killed him. I doubt Zandamela starts as a true freshman or he would have stayed at USC. He also missed the Spring here.

Here is my predicted starting O line if injuries dont take someone out before the season. I think you have a lot of guys at the wrong position. Lets see yours Insta and we can compare them when the season arrives.

LT: Barber
LG: Harris
C: Slaughter
RG: George
RT: Dickson

George got moved to Guard didn't he? He was pretty bad at Tackle last season. Speed rushers killed him. I doubt Zandamela starts as a true freshman or he would have stayed at USC. He also missed the Spring here.

Here is my predicted starting O line if injuries dont take someone out before the season. I think you have a lot of guys at the wrong position. Lets see yours Insta and we can compare them when the season arrives.

LT: Barber
LG: Harris
C: Slaughter
RG: George
RT: Dickson
As soon as UF/Napier updates their Roster for the Fall practice, then I'll try to guess at the OL starters.
Trying to guess the starters before knowing what positions that they are playing seems a waste of time to me.
Not that my guess or your's makes any difference to the world....

As soon as UF/Napier updates their Roster for the Fall practice, then I'll try to guess at the OL starters.
Trying to guess the starters before knowing what positions that they are playing seems a waste of time to me.
Not that my guess or your's makes any difference to the world....
OL is still the major weakness on this team has has been since Urban Meyer left. Without major improvement there, we can have all the elite players at the skill positions and it won;t matter one whit. Big boy football is still won in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's where Florida has been deficient for way too many years. Maybe this year will be different, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

OL is still the major weakness on this team has has been since Urban Meyer left. Without major improvement there, we can have all the elite players at the skill positions and it won;t matter one whit. Big boy football is still won in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's where Florida has been deficient for way too many years. Maybe this year will be different, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

They are having a media thing with camp starting today. Most of the players there stressing the weight program improved a lot with the change there and Slaughter said Barber is a lot better than shown in 23 that the injury he had was affecting him a lot. I hope that is the case as he did look better in 2022 dealing with speed rushers.

Oline was awful last year. PFF had us 13th in the SEC, one spot ahead of Vandy. I can't imagine us being worse, but also hard to see us much better. Nappy head has done a good job recruiting overall, but not so much along both trenches.

Oline was awful last year. PFF had us 13th in the SEC, one spot ahead of Vandy. I can't imagine us being worse, but also hard to see us much better. Nappy head has done a good job recruiting overall, but not so much along both trenches.

PFF puts out retarded crap though also sometimes. We were bad dealing with pass rushers. George was really bad and I hope Barber was mostly due to injury. PFF says we will have the #10 O line in the country this season which is nonsense imo. I don't think any other place has us like that. I think if Barber is improved and George is going to Guard our ceiling is probably middle of the road in the conference.

They are having a media thing with camp starting today. Most of the players there stressing the weight program improved a lot with the change there and Slaughter said Barber is a lot better than shown in 23 that the injury he had was affecting him a lot. I hope that is the case as he did look better in 2022 dealing with speed rushers.
I'm hopeful for the 24 campaign - hell, if not now when? lol

That said, with recruiting slower then the last 2 years and hearing several top recruits that "want to see how the season plays out" - it is definitely a make or break year for BN. I dont' think he gets fired this year outside of a total collapse, but you could start seeing the death spiril in real time if we don's win early and often.

The UM game is the most important game in his tenor here, imo. Gotta come out of the gate with a win and go into UGA at most 1-2 loses, while looking really good along the way

PFF puts out retarded crap though also sometimes. We were bad dealing with pass rushers. George was really bad and I hope Barber was mostly due to injury. PFF says we will have the #10 O line in the country this season which is nonsense imo. I don't think any other place has us like that. I think if Barber is improved and George is going to Guard our ceiling is probably middle of the road in the conference.
True. 247 had out Oline ranked all the way up to 12th in the SEC. Those whacky dudes at PFF....

Fever, I decided to go ahead and give it a try before Fall practice starts and positions are determined on the OL.

If I was going to take a WAG on the starting OL prior to the start of Fall practice, this would be it...

LT Barber 6-6.25 314 rsJr

LG Knijeah Harris 6-3 321 So

OC Slaughter 6-4.5 308 rsJr

RG George 6-6 345 rsJr

RT Kamryn Waites 6-8 343 rsJr
(Dickson 6-7 322 rsSr - I see him more as the #2 @ LT)

"I feel like a lot of guys are ready to go out and compete. There's going to be a ton of competition across the board," Slaughter said. "There's going to be a ton of healthy competition in the (offensive line) room."
And who is going to be the OC backup behind Slaughter? - iG

True. 247 had out Oline ranked all the way up to 12th in the SEC. Those whacky dudes at PFF....

Yep a Miami loss would be a killer for him. Gets the seat on fire right away and makes the A&M game a 100% must win for him. I think if he came out of the gate losing those 2 games at home he could actually get fired after a KY loss at home. That might put him at 2-5 or 3-4 with 3 big home losses. They would know it's inevitable then.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Tebow got about 18% of the snaps as a Fr with Leak starting in the 06 NC season.

IF the same can be accomplished with Mertz/Lagway, that could be a solid combination.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Tebow got about 18% of the snaps as a Fr with Leak starting in the 06 NC season.

IF the same can be accomplished with Mertz/Lagway, that could be a solid combination.

I doubt Napier uses him that much in competitive games until we reach a point his job is 100% on the line for sure.

I doubt Napier uses him that much in competitive games until we reach a point his job is 100% on the line for sure.
He's going to get snaps. I'm more optimistic this year. Win the first 3 games and I think we have a better season. Got to think we are better at the LOS. I'm going to wait and see though.

I'll be at the UCF game. 2 of my kids have never been to a real game at the Swamp and my west coast girlfriend...well she's from Nevada lol. UNR tail gating is high school level. It will be fun for them either way. I didn't make a game last year.

Go Gators!

He's going to get snaps. I'm more optimistic this year. Win the first 3 games and I think we have a better season. Got to think we are better at the LOS. I'm going to wait and see though.

I'll be at the UCF game. 2 of my kids have never been to a real game at the Swamp and my west coast girlfriend...well she's from Nevada lol. UNR tail gating is high school level. It will be fun for them either way. I didn't make a game last year.

Go Gators!

I think we are clearly better but the problem is many of our opponents are also. As far as the early games Miami on paper is much better than last season and has #10 talent area in college football imo. A&M has a coach that knows defense and they should be right at the top again in the SEC in defense. If they beat Notre Dame that first game we will be in for a very tough game with A&M in the Swamp. UCF should be an improved team if that QB reverts back to his 2022 play and while there is no excuse to lose that game UCF has some talent on that team.

I think we are clearly better but the problem is many of our opponents are also. As far as the early games Miami on paper is much better than last season and has #10 talent area in college football imo. A&M has a coach that knows defense and they should be right at the top again in the SEC in defense. If they beat Notre Dame that first game we will be in for a very tough game with A&M in the Swamp. UCF should be an improved team if that QB reverts back to his 2022 play and while there is no excuse to lose that game UCF has some talent on that team.
I agree with your assessment of the UCF game. Some talent there, add in the motivation to beat us plus Malzahn is an underrated coach. We had better be ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT