ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

If it was the Lame Kitten, I'd have to hold my nose, at first anyway.
UF would be a step up, but he might decide to stay there until he retires.

The other guy I don't know or remember, and I've not paid much attention outside of Gator sports.
I'd give Napier at least 4 years, and maybe a fifth if he seemed to be making progress.
Coaching Carousels SUCK imoho, and they've been on one too long now already.....

As far as Metz comments about not having the winning mindset last season he could change that some by actually throwing the ball down the field to give us a chance on 3rd down and some 4th downs instead of throwing to a player who has no chance to get the first down. Forget the exact stat but it showed Mertz was one of the most risk averse QBs in all of college football last season. I think it showed he threw a really low number of passes 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage to WRs that the DBs were near them. That he rarely made throws downfield into tighter windows that took some touch or the QB would need to throw the receiver open. If that doesn't change his 70%+ completion and low interceptions aren't going to win harder games for us.

As far as Metz comments about not having the winning mindset last season he could change that some by actually throwing the ball down the field to give us a chance on 3rd down and some 4th downs instead of throwing to a player who has no chance to get the first down. Forget the exact stat but it showed Mertz was one of the most risk averse QBs in all of college football last season. I think it showed he threw a really low number of passes 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage to WRs that the DBs were near them. That he rarely made throws downfield into tighter windows that took some touch or the QB would need to throw the receiver open. If that doesn't change his 70%+ completion and low interceptions aren't going to win harder games for us.
Won't matter if Tom Brady plays qb, if our Oline hasn't made a huge improvement from last year it will be more of the same.

Won't matter if Tom Brady plays qb, if our Oline hasn't made a huge improvement from last year it will be more of the same.

Not It can matter as QBs who are mobile and can make stuff happen will still keep moving the ball many times. Watching Dart and Daniels play QB was a night and day difference from how Mertz did most games. They were throwing quite a few passes downfield that required the ball to be placed pretty good where Mertz usually just wouldn't pull the trigger on those situations. We might find out if Mertz is going to change that against Miami as they will have a lot of plays where they have 2 people on the line that can really get after the QB even with decent O linemen in there. Miami I think will be one of the better pass rushing teams in the whole country with Bain etc. Hopefully we can run the ball decent to slow it down a little bit.

Not It can matter as QBs who are mobile and can make stuff happen will still keep moving the ball many times. Watching Dart and Daniels play QB was a night and day difference from how Mertz did most games. They were throwing quite a few passes downfield that required the ball to be placed pretty good where Mertz usually just wouldn't pull the trigger on those situations. We might find out if Mertz is going to change that against Miami as they will have a lot of plays where they have 2 people on the line that can really get after the QB even with decent O linemen in there. Miami I think will be one of the better pass rushing teams in the whole country with Bain etc. Hopefully we can run the ball decent to slow it down a little bit.
Dart and Daniels played behind much better offensive lines and had much better supporting talent. Again, anyone still pointing fingers at the one of the few offensive bright spots last year is just ignorant. QB is the most visible position and it's understandable that rank amateurs would look to put blame there. We all thought Mertz was going to suck, and he turned out to be one of the top 5 qbs in the sec. We will need much better oline play. Got to improve that 10th rushing stat. Besides, the last 6 games of the season offense wasn't our problem (until we lost Mertz). Last 6 games of the season with Mertz we had the #3 scoring offense in the league. But when your defense gives up 34 points per game during that stretch it doesn't matter if you average 32 per game.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Dart and Daniels played behind much better offensive lines and had much better supporting talent. Again, anyone still pointing fingers at the one of the few offensive bright spots last year is just ignorant. QB is the most visible position and it's understandable that rank amateurs would look to put blame there. We all thought Mertz was going to suck, and he turned out to be one of the top 5 qbs in the sec. We will need much better oline play. Got to improve that 10th rushing stat. Besides, the last 6 games of the season offense wasn't our problem (until we lost Mertz). Last 6 games of the season with Mertz we had the #3 scoring offense in the league. But when your defense gives up 34 points per game during that stretch it doesn't matter if you average 32 per game.

Disagree. Mertz just had a real good completion % and low picks due to just throwing shorter stuff mostly and being risk averse on 3rd downs. He would rather throw some short stuff with no chance usually than taking chances down the field. Never saw a QB expend energy running to the sidelines so much out of bounds for no real gain instead of just throwing the ball away either. The stats show that as well. He was at the very bottom of FBS when it came to QBs pushing the ball downfield. I hope he changes that this season. I could care less if he hits 60% with a few more picks if he is keeping the chains moving and not always throwing it 3 or 4 yards to a wide open guy with no chance when it's 3rd down and you need 6 for a first down.

Disagree. Mertz just had a real good completion % and low picks due to just throwing shorter stuff mostly and being risk averse on 3rd downs. He would rather throw some short stuff with no chance usually than taking chances down the field. Never saw a QB expend energy running to the sidelines so much out of bounds for no real gain instead of just throwing the ball away either. The stats show that as well. He was at the very bottom of FBS when it came to QBs pushing the ball downfield. I hope he changes that this season. I could care less if he hits 60% with a few more picks if he is keeping the chains moving and not always throwing it 3 or 4 yards to a wide open guy with no chance when it's 3rd down and you need 6 for a first down.
I'm sure you do disagree. Tell me, what was the average depth of our receiver route in 2023? Hint, it was last, dead last, in the SEC. Mertz played behind the 13th SEC rated offensive line, and in an offensive scheme that had to rely on jet sweeps and bubble screens. Go check out Napiers offense at LA, it was boring boring boring. Same crap there. Even with all that, the offense was much much better, actually one of the best, down the stretch. QB not the issue here...we need an offensive coordinator, better oline, and our defense has to step up and play much better.

I'm sure you do disagree. Tell me, what was the average depth of our receiver route in 2023? Hint, it was last, dead last, in the SEC. Mertz played behind the 13th SEC rated offensive line, and in an offensive scheme that had to rely on jet sweeps and bubble screens. Go check out Napiers offense at LA, it was boring boring boring. Same crap there. Even with all that, the offense was much much better, actually one of the best, down the stretch. QB not the issue here...we need an offensive coordinator, better oline, and our defense has to step up and play much better.

I know what we play but he still was gun shy down the field. 2nd half SC game was about the only time he wasn't mostly gun shy to throw to guys downfield that weren't pretty separated from the defender. He needs to trust he can put the ball in the window when there are opportunities down field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT