ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
I need to rewatch that game sober but it looked pretty bad. I know Utah kind of backed off once they got a big lead but I think this defense will be better than last season. It was bad we weren't getting much pressure on the QB though. On offense we have to be able to establish a good running game or things may get very ugly. 30 yards from our 2 main RBs isn't going to cut it. I was probably too hard on Mertz but he isn't a QB that is going to be effective when the running game isn't working. It's why we literally couldn't convert any 3rd downs.

As far as Napier I think he is going to have to be forced into giving up play calling. 7-5 is very likely off the table now and 5-7 is a real possibility if things aren't corrected like the O line.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
This is a one-dimensional football team. It lacks everything a modernized football program (i.e. Georgia, Alabama, LSU) has in its stables. Napier simply isn't the man to lead this program. and Scott Stricklin Mr. AD himself, is officially on the hot seat too. Napier strikes out, Stricklin's outta here.

I was not expecting the o line to be that bad.... they couldn't run or pass block. Offense is a disaster (which we kind of knew) but I thought they would be able to bully Utah and run the ball on them. I felt like Etienne was a non factor and he should be the biggest factor. O line has got to improve otherwise its going to be a long season.

Defense seemed better except for the bomb on the first play.

Got to clean up the false starts and shooting yourself in the foot. That looked like fsu when Willie was here (as far as penalties at terrible times) , just couldn't get out of your own way.

Mental notes:

We're a below-average O-line team that runs the ball as its identity. That's a REAL issue. We have 2 really good RBs that averaged about 3 yards/carry I think.

QB - Mertz is pretty damn good for the line he's working behind. 1 bad ball imo - but we all knew if he ad 40+ attempted passes, we were losing. I think 30+ were caught.

Downfield throws to speedy WRs didn't happen - that's a feature of what Napier is trying to do here and I don't really even 1 attempt like that.

Dline and LBs looked better/deeper overall but still no push from "just" the front 4. The only time we got pressure were when we brought numbers - this is a concern.

One busted play by the secondary sucks but it was play number one - the rest of the way they were good enough imo.

Special teams/penalties/untimely fudge-ups - this was embarrassing.

This is a one-dimensional football team. It lacks everything a modernized football program (i.e. Georgia, Alabama, LSU) has in its stables. Napier simply isn't the man to lead this program. and Scott Stricklin Mr. AD himself, is officially on the hot seat too. Napier strikes out, Stricklin's outta here.

I am hoping he turns it around in 24 but his game management has been bad last season and this first game. It sucks he can't be forced to give up play calling until the season ends probably.

Mental notes:

We're a below-average O-line team that runs the ball as its identity. That's a REAL issue. We have 2 really good RBs that averaged about 3 yards/carry I think.

QB - Mertz is pretty damn good for the line he's working behind. 1 bad ball imo - but we all knew if he ad 40+ attempted passes, we were losing. I think 30+ were caught.

Downfield throws to speedy WRs didn't happen - that's a feature of what Napier is trying to do here and I don't really even 1 attempt like that.

Dline and LBs looked better/deeper overall but still no push from "just" the front 4. The only time we got pressure were when we brought numbers - this is a concern.

One busted play by the secondary sucks but it was play number one - the rest of the way they were good enough imo.

The problem with Mertz is he doesn't have the it factor to lead you to many scores when things break down. You will get yards but not many scores and probably have 5 sack games like this one. If our O line truly stayed this bad we would be better off just running a QB like Brown probably. Defensive coordinators will be drooling over blitzing us after watching what Utah did to us.

Reactions: emekz1
We have the biggest O line and D line in the SEC but we also have the slowest O line and D line in the SEC. Mertz just did not have the time for the intermediate and deep passes while their QB did. Offense is never in hurry-up. We're playing like a team from the last century.

Defense is definitely better. We have a couple decent receivers. The big dude that caught the TD looks legit. The white guy had a decent game but I thought his effort on that pick was pathetic.

We have two good backs but we can’t use them because we can’t get a first down. 10 carries between the two of them… unacceptable.

Mertz looks serviceable.

To me that game was all about being a disorganized mess. We stopped every drive in the first half with some sort of motion or formation penalty. Then you’ve got 2 guys with the same number on the field in special teams. That is just total amateur hour. I’ve literally NEVER seen that called.

So CBN needs to look in the mirror and get his stuff together period.

And one other thing, I don’t love the energy CBN is bringing. I don’t see this team fighting or flying around trying to blow people up.

They reported pregame that all the Gators players were asking the network guys if Rising was playing. Those dudes from swamp kings would have been like: I hope he does play and we’ll put him out for another year.

Reactions: sadgator
And one other thing, I don’t love the energy CBN is bringing. I don’t see this team fighting or flying around trying to blow people up.

They reported pregame that all the Gators players were asking the network guys if Rising was playing. Those dudes from swamp kings would have been like: I hope he does play and we’ll put him out for another year.
What energy?? I didn't see any. I saw confusion more than anything on that sideline last night. More so on Napier's face too. He's clueless.

Mental notes:

For a “running identity”, didn’t seem like many runs

Reactions: Razorback_Nole
sadgator doesn’t know what to make of any of it, but he will say this…

Despite the fact that all the pundits said we were going to be horrible this year, sadgator tried to be optimistic…

sadgator could have handled a loss…but unfortunately, we didn’t see the fight and energy from this team we had hoped…that is not at all a good omen…

We have gotten our butts kicked by two PAC-12 teams in back to back games.

We are not athletic or competitive…we pull our talent pool from the State of Florida and in today’s climate of the portal…being non-athletic and non-competitive is simply inexplicable and unacceptable.

sadgator is left with a feeling that combines the worst of Mac and Mus…and sadgator won’t believe a word anybody says regarding any “improvement” in talent or performance until it actually shows up in positive results.

Despite the fact that all the pundits said we were going to be horrible this year, sadgator tried to be optimistic…

sadgator could have handled a loss…but unfortunately, we didn’t see the fight and energy from this team we had hoped…that is not at all a good omen…

We are not athletic or competitive…we pull our talent pool from the State of Florida and in today’s climate of the portal…being non-athletic and non-competitive is simply inexplicable and unacceptable.

sadgator is left with a feeling that combines the worst of Mac and Mus…and sadgator won’t believe a word anybody says regarding any “improvement” in talent or performance until it actually shows up in positive results.

Yep we have scored a grand total of 1 TD in 2 games since AR left. I am sure that will change against the upcoming FCS team but I am curious what our offense will look like against Tennessee.

Our defense after that opening play did pretty good actually but Utah was playing a backup QB and missing key players. I saw the DBs out of position on a few plays they didn't burn us on though. Also our DC takes dangerous chances to try to create pressure sometimes. That RB they had wide open for a TD that their QB missed was because Princely was given responsibility I think to cover him if he did release. Pretty dangerous having that scenario.

I hope we get most of this crazy mess out of our system after game one. Apparently we also only had 8 or 9 players instead of 11 on the field during Utah's missed FG. That and the jersey number penalty should never happen.

I feel the same way, Sad.

Many thoughts. Mostly doom and gloom.

However they need to make that Odom kid at TE more of a factor. He seems very athletic.

Find creative ways to get Ettienne and Ricky P to get the ball in numerous ways.

Reactions: sadgator
I am convinced that nobody actually knows what they're watching or understands football.

Shallow as a puddle.

I am convinced that nobody actually knows what they're watching or understands football.

Shallow as a puddle.
Danny,

sadgator loves you like a son, he really does…

But what do you know from a “football” perspective that demonstrates that what we have all personally witnessed for the last 5 games…including the spring game debacle…isn’t exactly what Florida is under Napier?

At some point, you have to say, “what I am seeing is exactly what it is…”

…and it isn’t good in any way….

• Wow
Reactions: Gator Fever
Danny,

But what do you know from a “football” perspective that demonstrates that what we have all personally witnessed for the last 5 games…including the spring game debacle…isn’t exactly what Florida is under Napier?

Image-1-11.jpg

Some writer at the Athetic actually predicted we go 3-9 with only one SEC win. And somewhere else had us 4-8 with only 2 SEC wins. I am not buying those catastrophic scenarios but I do think even 7-5 is out the door now and it's pretty likely we go 5-7 or 6-6. I think the defense will look better as time goes by though that Tennessee offense may be a bad match- up for them that early in the season. As far as the offense wee need to line up and mostly just run the ball against this FCS team to get it going and get the O line going some hopefully.

sadgator wouldn’t be at all shocked if Florida lost to either McNeese State or Charlotte.

Does he expect it? No, of course not. But it wouldn’t really be shocking at all…and that is probably the most telling thing.

I guess what I'm most disappointed in is development. The o line was 10x worse than I expected it to be....with 2 o line coaches. Mertz was actually slightly better than I expected (still don't think he was good).

Defense was better, or so it seemed, that was their 3rd string QB but for the most part defense seemed improved.

UF needs to find a way to create explosives on offense. You have Etienne.... use him

7-5 is still where i"m at. I'm not convinced we don't rebound and beat TN. Year 3 is usually tough and TN barely beat us last year. I thought we'd split Utah-TN, didn't think we'd win both.

sadgator wouldn’t be at all shocked if Florida lost to either McNeese State or Charlotte.

Does he expect it? No, of course not. But it wouldn’t really be shocking at all…and that is probably the most telling thing.

🤣 Maybe it's a good thing we get McNeese State first because Charlotte actually has a pulse.

I guess what I'm most disappointed in is development. The o line was 10x worse than I expected it to be....with 2 o line coaches. Mertz was actually slightly better than I expected (still don't think he was good).

Defense was better, or so it seemed, that was their 3rd string QB but for the most part defense seemed improved.

UF needs to find a way to create explosives on offense. You have Etienne.... use him

The thing concerning about the defense is Princely got no pressure the whole game and the good ones create pressure even if a TE is out there much of the time. Utah didn't take much advantage except for that opening score but our DBs were definitely out of position a few times. Our DC also created some dangerous situations trying to get pressure by leaving Princely responsible for coverage if the RB released. It was wide open for a long TD that one play if not for a bad throw.

I was surprised you guys did not try to force the run more. Ettiene only had 7 carries; I know you had to throw mote later in the game but you really pretty much came out slinging it from the first possession.

I was surprised you guys did not try to force the run more. Ettiene only had 7 carries; I know you had to throw mote later in the game but you really pretty much came out slinging it from the first possession.
I went back and watched some film review and Utah had eight guys in the box pretty much all night. It was tough sledding for sure

Danny,

Well luckily I can answer that question.

I will preface this with the following: no one here has watched a Gator game with me. I am insufferable. I shout things out of passion and blind alcoholic rage that would get me canceled. Why? Meh. I am who I am. But I made a promise to myself that I would do my best to watch the game from a...strategic standpoint. I would do my best to be calm. Analytical, even.

I also was not surprised to see people like Fever show their true colors losing their minds early in the wee hours and over reacting.

Was it what I wanted to see? Absolutely not. Did I wait and try to be measured? Yes.

The over reactions are absurd. We have a completely new offensive line and if I understand it, 2 backups playing due to injury. Offensive line is tricky because they need to gel and work as a unit, and that comes with time. Always has. Instead of hearing that argument, all I saw was people screaming about discipline and obviously that's a lax approach allowed by the coaching staff in practice.

Still hearing people bemoan Billy's play calling. Nothing wrong with the play calls (yes, they're a bad play calls that literally every team has, it happens). Fever was literally cumming all over himself that Mertz was awful, despite the numbers. That is solely agenda based when posting at 12:37 am central time. Offensive line was atrocious. And I've already addressed that.

I do understand that it's Tyne trend to be BONG and just scream about how everything is awful.

Mertz was throwing great balls. Threw pretty deep balls with tight spirals. Meanwhile Ricky Pearsall was dressed like he played, sloppy. Then he turned it on when it was too late.

What I don't understand is how I can be drunk and watch a game and reason out what was actually happening and you grown as adults lose your minds and, as I said before (and I know Bradley doesn't care for me) shallow as a damned puddle.

You all do realize that a good play can also be a bad play, right? Y'all do remember when Wuerffel would lead a touchdown drive and Spurrier would tear into him on the sideline. Why is that? Because he knows that, despite the outcome, there would be missed reads. Bad routes. The minutiae that the "fan" doesn't see.

Were there frustrating moments? No effing duh. But if you can't look deeper into it, I don't know what to tell you. You all just start saying things like "Napier is a drooling idiot" and "there's no energy."

We ran the ball for 13 yards! Well....that not true. That's after sack yardage. There's no discipline! Brand new offensive line with a couple of backups.

Again. We have to clean it up, but it's not "the worst team in 45 years."

And the Fevers, Michis (who conveniently showed up for the first time in months to bitch and moan) and the instas all have carefully constructed agendas that over rise their supposed love for the program.

You know my favorite one? When somebody said that Billy needs to fire 20+ Off field assistants so we can afford an OC. Yeah. That's not how it works. This isn't the NFL. You have a limited number of infield coaches. But apparently some people don't understand that. But I'm the idiot.

Do you get it now?

Also too long did not read.

Billy's 1st xfer QB couldn't get it done.
Billy's 2nd xfer QB needed to prove he could eval a xfer QB.
JMOHO, but that's a double fail so far...
Gator Xfer QB's,,,, Del Rio, Appleby, Zaire, Miller, Mertz,,, just say NO!
Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results..... 🙄
=====

A dual threat QB is badly needed RIGHT NOW imoho.

Don't know if Brown could fill that role, but it's time to find out.
If Brown can't fill the bill, then I'd even give the PWO Fr a shot at the job.
QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 220 rsFr
QB-dt Parker Leise 6-2 215 Fr PWO
Hell, I might even play them both at the same time....

M&M's in O&B = 17 Pts
M&M's in last 2 games = 14 Pts.

This week's D2 McNeese game is the perfect time to see if either of the dual threat's, Brown or Leise, can get the job done.

QB-dt helps the RB's in the running game as it forces the DL to find the ball.
It also takes some of the pressure off of the OL by slowing down the defense.
A roll out off platform QB-dt also helps the passing game, especially the deep threat.
It gives the receivers time to get open and/or get deep.
It's more freelance, but when the schematic system isn't getting it done, then it's time to freelance a bit.
At this point of suckage, what do they have to lose???

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
Well luckily I can answer that question.

I will preface this with the following: no one here has watched a Gator game with me. I am insufferable. I shout things out of passion and blind alcoholic rage that would get me canceled. Why? Meh. I am who I am. But I made a promise to myself that I would do my best to watch the game from a...strategic standpoint. I would do my best to be calm. Analytical, even.

I also was not surprised to see people like Fever show their true colors losing their minds early in the wee hours and over reacting.

Was it what I wanted to see? Absolutely not. Did I wait and try to be measured? Yes.

The over reactions are absurd. We have a completely new offensive line and if I understand it, 2 backups playing due to injury. Offensive line is tricky because they need to gel and work as a unit, and that comes with time. Always has. Instead of hearing that argument, all I saw was people screaming about discipline and obviously that's a lax approach allowed by the coaching staff in practice.

Still hearing people bemoan Billy's play calling. Nothing wrong with the play calls (yes, they're a bad play calls that literally every team has, it happens). Fever was literally cumming all over himself that Mertz was awful, despite the numbers. That is solely agenda based when posting at 12:37 am central time. Offensive line was atrocious. And I've already addressed that.

I do understand that it's Tyne trend to be BONG and just scream about how everything is awful.

Mertz was throwing great balls. Threw pretty deep balls with tight spirals. Meanwhile Ricky Pearsall was dressed like he played, sloppy. Then he turned it on when it was too late.

What I don't understand is how I can be drunk and watch a game and reason out what was actually happening and you grown as adults lose your minds and, as I said before (and I know Bradley doesn't care for me) shallow as a damned puddle.

You all do realize that a good play can also be a bad play, right? Y'all do remember when Wuerffel would lead a touchdown drive and Spurrier would tear into him on the sideline. Why is that? Because he knows that, despite the outcome, there would be missed reads. Bad routes. The minutiae that the "fan" doesn't see.

Were there frustrating moments? No effing duh. But if you can't look deeper into it, I don't know what to tell you. You all just start saying things like "Napier is a drooling idiot" and "there's no energy."

We ran the ball for 13 yards! Well....that not true. That's after sack yardage. There's no discipline! Brand new offensive line with a couple of backups.

Again. We have to clean it up, but it's not "the worst team in 45 years."

And the Fevers, Michis (who conveniently showed up for the first time in months to bitch and moan) and the instas all have carefully constructed agendas that over rise their supposed love for the program.

You know my favorite one? When somebody said that Billy needs to fire 20+ Off field assistants so we can afford an OC. Yeah. That's not how it works. This isn't the NFL. You have a limited number of infield coaches. But apparently some people don't understand that. But I'm the idiot.

Do you get it now?

Also too long did not read.

We didn't do anything special passing. We threw a bunch of high % crap short of the chains almost 70% of the time that don't get points on the board like a successful more aggressive passing game. If that was done for a whole season it would be like 129 out of like 131 FBS teams last season for throwing passes short of the chains. If we throw 44 passes a game again like that the results will be probably just like the Utah game.

Agenda based dunnygoater = 4-star Franks vs HS non-starter Eagle Scout 2-star Trask
Trask now holds the UF All Time Record for season Passing Yds (4,000+) and Passing TD's (39).
And the complete list of the dunnygoater's agenda based BS is too long for me to bother listing....

PS - I didn't post until Friday afternoon, and I haven't bothered to read the pages that were posted before I posted mine. -- And yes dunnygoater, you're still a drunkard and a daughter-less idiot imo....

I took a quick look, but now he's back on ignore,,, as he should be!
😝

Rumors out there our young talented RB thinks we are such a mess on offense he may shut it down and transfer. TX and CO being talked about.

Edit: Some say it's him trying to get more NIL. Supposedly the guy who started this rumor was the same person who knew all the Will Grier stuff before that broke from the media. He is claiming there is a chance he doesn't even play the next game. Etienne's brother made a joke about going to CO also I guess.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: instaGATOR
We didn't do anything special passing. We threw a bunch of high % crap short of the chains almost 70% of the time that don't get points on the board like a successful more aggressive passing game. If that was done for a whole season it would be like 129 out of like 131 FBS teams last season for throwing passes short of the chains. If we throw 44 passes a game again like that the results will be probably just like the Utah game.
Every sports network mouthpiece I have watched has praised Mertz for a great game. He also had a couple of nice runs, one for a first down. But somehow you have the superpower to actually ignore facts and make up BS. Good lord, at least have some dignity and self-respect and be able to look at the thing objectively.

Every sports network mouthpiece I have watched has praised Mertz for a great game. He also had a couple of nice runs, one for a first down. But somehow you have the superpower to actually ignore facts and make up BS. Good lord, at least have some dignity and self-respect and be able to look at the thing objectively.

The same guys told us how great Jones was also until they couldnt any longer in 2021. They just see the 300 yards but the metrics that take into account what type of passes they were, how many and sacks where he had an outlet available said it was a game just like he had at Wisconsin usually which was a little below average. The penalties did make things tougher though.

Rumors out there our young talented RB thinks we are such a mess on offense he may shut it down and transfer. TX and CO being talked about.

Edit: Some say it's him trying to get more NIL. Supposedly the guy who started this rumor was the same person who knew all the Will Grier stuff before that broke from the media. He is claiming there is a chance he doesn't even play the next game. Etienne's brother made a joke about going to CO also I guess.
That may be so. If it is he’s not a team player and I say see ya.

Reactions: Gator Fever
It's one game, on the road against a team that brought back 17 starters. And if that isn't enough, they added two defensive transfers that were both starters last year in the Pac 12 and one was 2nd team all conference. Keep in mind Utah is deep too. There is a reason Whittingham says this is his best team ever. They are very experienced and have some really good talent. We on the other hand had 15 new dudes playing their first game together. Sure, Utah had injuries, but we did too. Before we jump off the proverbial bridge, let's get a couple more games under our belts. You will want to catch this team early in the season as I believe they will get better.

The same guys told us how great Jones was also until they couldnt any longer in 2021. They just see the 300 yards but the metrics that take into account what type of passes they were, how many and sacks where he had an outlet available said it was a game just like he had at Wisconsin usually which was a little below average. The penalties did make things tougher though.
Show us the advanced stats on Mertz...better yet don't as they will invalidate this BS you are laying down. You can find them on PFF. Guy was our brightest star Thursday. No clue how he will perform the rest of the season, he may suck like the majority of us have thought, but Thursday he was good. Stop being a little girl and give the guy the credit he earned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT