ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With the spring semester scheduled to get underway this upcoming week, Sunday marks move-in day for the Gators, with 14 high school signees from the recruiting class of 2024 enrolling at the University of Florida as mid-academic year students, (early enrollies).

Note: This list includes only scholarship signees from the high school level. Players are organized by position, then alphabetically by their last name. Included are their hometowns, high schools and heights/weights provided by UF

Etienne isn’t a workhorse. He’s a game breaker. You give him 10 rushes and 5 pass attempts and hope he gets in space. Basically, exactly how we used him. I don’t blame a kid for wanting to play for the program that gives him the best chance to get drafted high and play for conference titles.

Yep Georgia will give him a lot of opportunities for long runs. I just didn't care for the family's attitude.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Yep Georgia will give him a lot of opportunities for long runs. I just didn't care for the family's attitude.
I agree but those other backs for the Dwags are just as capable of taking it to the house. Especially their white boy RB.

Reactions: Gator Fever
His sense of urgency should have existed before the end of last season. Now it makes sense why Dabo fired Napier. He should be fired the second UF loses to Miami in 2024.

I don't see any way he survives that. The boo birds will be out by mid-season in that scenario. A home A@M loss likely seals his fate also.

I kind of wonder how quick Napier would yank Mertz. If we lose early to Miami or A@M starting Lagway may be the only slight chance to survive being 6-5 after the home Ole Miss game.
He's NOT gonna yank Mertz for Lagway and I'm gonna say this for the 1001th time so please listen to what I say. Graham was NOT our problem last year. It was the defense, OL and bonehead calls by Napier. Quit crying about the dink and dunk passing from last year. He runs the play called by the coach and their lies the problem. Also quit with the negativity every time you post something. Pump in some sunshine from time to time.

He's NOT gonna yank Mertz for Lagway and I'm gonna say this for the 1001th time so please listen to what I say. Graham was NOT our problem last year. It was the defense, OL and bonehead calls by Napier. Quit crying about the dink and dunk passing from last year. He runs the play called by the coach and their lies the problem. Also quit with the negativity every time you post something. Pump in some sunshine from time to time.

For the 100th time he is a below average SEC level QB and if you want me to show you on film and the plays I can. Someone as limited as him damn sure isn't going to elevate a team to many extra wins.

🤣 If you want to pump sunshine while he leads us to a 6-5 record pre @FSU game this coming season be my guest.

For the 100th time he is a below average SEC level QB and if you want me to show you on film and the plays I can. Someone as limited as him damn sure isn't going to elevate a team to many extra wins.

🤣 If you want to pump sunshine while he leads us to a 6-5 record pre @FSU game this coming season be my guest.
2023 Stats: 261/358 (72.9%) | 2,828 Yards of Offense (2,903 passing, -75 rushing) | 24 Total TDs (20 passing, 4 rushing) | 3 INT | 8.1 YPA | 75.9 PFF Grade.

I take that all day long if Billy can fix the other problems and yes he was 7th out of 15 for total QBR in 2023. And the last 6 games that he was playing QB he averaged 33.5 points a game. That wins most games with a decent all around team helping you.

You can click your heels as many times as you want Dorothy, but the football experts, including SOS, have said Mertz played great last year. But I'm sure they would love to hear your film break down...

2023 Stats: 261/358 (72.9%) | 2,828 Yards of Offense (2,903 passing, -75 rushing) | 24 Total TDs (20 passing, 4 rushing) | 3 INT | 8.1 YPA | 75.9 PFF Grade.

I take that all day long if Billy can fix the other problems and yes he was 7th out of 15 for total QBR in 2023. And the last 6 games that he was playing QB he averaged 33.5 points a game. That wins most games with a decent all around team helping you.
Stats are meaningless, he's got the film breakdown that would make even Don Shula envious.

You can click your heels as many times as you want Dorothy, but the football experts, including SOS, have said Mertz played great last year. But I'm sure they would love to hear your film break down...

🤣 Yep the same ones that bragged on Franks and Jones etc before they were exposed when actually trying to win the game and not concerned with getting a 2 yard completion on 3rd and 4 or throwing 1 yard passes with no chance on 4th and 3 just to get a completion and avoid picks. The only difference mainly from WI is he tried there unlike here. Whether that is him or Napier scaring him I don't know but he dang sure is not a good SEC QB for a place like UF as far as his play.

This is how I feel

🤣 You know what Mertz is. He is something I can't recall ever seeing at UF before since remembering the 79 season as a young kid. He is what you would get if you told the QB no matter what don't risk an interception at all costs but also don't throw the ball away if you can avoid it and just sprint to the sideline so you aren't credited with an incomplete pass. Your completion % and no interceptions is the priority here and nothing else. And most of all if it's 3rd or 4th down you are to get a completion at all costs and never take a risk with the ball to try to move the chains. It's alright not to try but at all costs don't risk an interception or incompletion on that.

• Sad
Reactions: ocalaman
🤣 You know what Mertz is. He is something I can't recall ever seeing at UF before since remembering the 79 season as a young kid. He is what you would get if you told the QB no matter what don't risk an interception at all costs but also don't throw the ball away if you can avoid it and just sprint to the sideline so you aren't credited with an incomplete pass. Your completion % and no interceptions is the priority here and nothing else. And most of all if it's 3rd or 4th down you are to get a completion at all costs and never take a risk with the ball to try to move the chains. It's alright not to try but at all costs don't risk an interception or incompletion on that.
In your opinion.

• Haha
Mertz was 6th in the SEC in ypa. The top 5 all played for top 10 ranked teams nationally. We lost 3 straight games late where the offense put up 30+ points. You obviously know a lot about football but you’re barking up the wrong tree about Mertz.

Mertz was 6th in the SEC in ypa. The top 5 all played for top 10 ranked teams nationally. We lost 3 straight games late where the offense put up 30+ points. You obviously know a lot about football but you’re barking up the wrong tree about Mertz.

Napier in some games actually designed some pretty good plays to attack an aggressive defense. The problem with Napier is after the scripted plays he never puts enough of them together to win tough games. That early one against GA you have to give him some credit. And the 1st half of Tennessee he really screwed them up but it was pretty bad how Tenn kept falling for it the whole half. Mertz's weakness is he mostly needs guys wide open on longer passes and he cant elevate you at all if you are playing a team that can cover the pass catchers pretty good. I do think we get a little better passing next season if the WI transfer can come close to our top receiver from last season because I think we have 2 tight ends now that can actually be real threats with that. I doubt its enough to get a winning record with our schedule though because we aren't making enough real big moves in the portal. Miami just got a real threat at QB and might finish Napier off right off the bat. Not really sure how many of those young Miami recruits are ready to step up for 2024 though. My guess is we might have just a tad more talent then them overall and the Swamp is a big advantage also.

In 2020 Trask - 4,283 Yds, 43 TD's, 8 Ints, 68.9% = 11-2

Take Your Pick....

In 2023 Mertz - 2,903 Yds, 20 TD's, 3 Ints, 69.3% = 5-7

Reactions: emekz1
“Our overall roster is going to be older,” Stricklin said. “Older teams beat up younger teams. You look at the teams that played in the College Football Playoff; there were a lot of veterans on those teams. One of the keys in college football — really, in all college sports these days — is you need to be old and you need to figure out a way to stay old.

“So we’re going to be older.”

Everything is just fine for 2024.
Iconbanana1.gif

Now do 2019 which was Trask first year as the full time starter. Wonder how Mertz would've done with Mullen calling the plays?
We'll never know, because guys like you were glad to replace Mullen with a Napier.
Just like you were glad to replace Grantham with the 2 duds that replaced him....

Nick Marcinko: "Napier’s plan has failed for a number of reasons, but for me it comes down to attention to detail. This was something Napier preached after agreeing to be the Head Coach of the University of Florida, but not something we have seen, especially not on game days."

Napier isn't even capable of assembling a team of coaches to consistently get 11 players on the field for special teams.

We'll never know, because guys like you were glad to replace Mullen with a Napier.
Just like you were glad to replace Grantham with the 2 duds that replaced him....
Grantham was awful. Everywhere he went defenses steadily got worse once he cycled through the other coaches players. As to Mullen, I never wanted to replace Mullen with Napier. Mullen sucked at recruiting and he hung onto to Grantham too long. But he is a great X and O guy that needed to surround himself with top notch recruiters.

Grantham was awful. Everywhere he went defenses steadily got worse once he cycled through the other coaches players. As to Mullen, I never wanted to replace Mullen with Napier. Mullen sucked at recruiting and he hung onto to Grantham too long. But he is a great X and O guy that needed to surround himself with top notch recruiters.
That was Mullen's main problem. It was obvious he never learned a damn thing being under Urban Meyer.

Grantham sucked, and that's why Saban hired him, and then why the N.O. Saints hired him. Sorry if I take their knowledgable and well paid opinions over your ignorant delusions....
=====

Early SEC football power rankings are out ahead of the 2024 season with an emphasis on roster changes in recent days.

16. VU
15. MsSt
14. Ark
13. SCa
12. FLORIDA
11. AU
10. aTm
9. UK
8. OK
7. Tenn
6. Mizz
5. UA
4. LSU
3. Ms
2. TX
1. UGly

https://247sports.com/college/flori...es-in-way-too-early-glance-225584656/#2348717
==========

College Football 15 Toughest Schedules in 2024 Ranked

15. UA
14. UGly
13. Mich
12. UK
11. Wash
10. Wis
9. USC
8. VU
7. MsSt
6. GaT
5. UCLA
4. SCa
3. Ark
2. OK
1. FLORIDA
2024 schedule: Miami, Samford, Texas A&M, at Mississippi State, UCF, at Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia (Jacksonville), at Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, FSU

==========
Looks to me like we have much to look forward to in 2024 football..... 🙄

Last edited:
Grantham sucked, and that's why Saban hired him, and then why the N.O. Saints hired him. Sorry if I take their knowledgable and well paid opinions over your ignorant delusions....
=====

Early SEC football power rankings are out ahead of the 2024 season with an emphasis on roster changes in recent days.

16. VU
15. MsSt
14. Ark
13. SCa
12. FLORIDA
11. AU
10. aTm
9. UK
8. OK
7. Tenn
6. Mizz
5. UA
4. LSU
3. Ms
2. TX
1. UGly

https://247sports.com/college/flori...es-in-way-too-early-glance-225584656/#2348717
==========

15. UA
14. UGly
13. Mich
12. UK
11. Wash
10. Wis
9. USC
8. VU
7. MsSt
6. GaT
5. UCLA
4. SCa
3. Ark
2. OK
1. FLORIDA
2024 schedule: Miami, Samford, Texas A&M, at Mississippi State, UCF, at Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia (Jacksonville), at Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, FSU

==========

Grantham worked his way back to a D line coach I think after people told us the NFL wanted him as a DC - to give him a raise.

Mullen won't be getting any top power 5 offers as a head coach either soon. Maybe a lower power 5 or group of 5 team.

• Haha
Grantham sucked, and that's why Saban hired him, and then why the N.O. Saints hired him. Sorry if I take their knowledgable and well paid opinions

But they didn't hire Grantham to be their DC. Grantham was just an off field analyst for Saban, but keep trying to hide those facts.

Reactions: Gator Fever
=====

16. VU
15. MsSt
14. Ark
13. SCa
12. FLORIDA
11. AU
10. aTm
9. UK
8. OK
7. Tenn
6. Mizz
5. UA
4. LSU
3. Ms
2. TX
1. UGly

==========

15. UA
14. UGly
13. Mich
12. UK
11. Wash
10. Wis
9. USC
8. VU
7. MsSt
6. GaT
5. UCLA
4. SCa
3. Ark
2. OK
1. FLORIDA

==========
Grantham was a defensive analyst at Bama which is one step above the kid that puts out the cones before practice. When the DC position came open, Saban didn't even give him an interview even though he asked for one. Dline coach sounds about right for him. Horrible DC but maybe he's a decent position coach.

• Haha
Grantham was a defensive analyst at Bama which is one step above the kid that puts out the cones before practice. When the DC position came open, Saban didn't even give him an interview even though he asked for one. Dline coach sounds about right for him. Horrible DC but maybe he's a decent position coach.
Maybe Saban was doing him a favor, knowing that there was a Bama HC'ing change right around the corner, with a new HC coming in to build his own staff.
And tell me why Saban would hire him at all? Or why the Saints would?

Your own opinions and speculation are yours and you are entitled to them, as idiotic as they look to me. While I personally don't GaS where he is today.

Now, defend your boy Napier on his choices at DC and their 2 years of results.
And with the two lines being the biggest questions, how is HIS OL/DL recruiting going over the last 2 years? And why are so many of the guys that he's recruited bailing out already???
(crickets, as you babble on with your own delusions)

=====

16. VU
15. MsSt
14. Ark
13. SCa
12. FLORIDA
11. AU
10. aTm
9. UK
8. OK
7. Tenn
6. Mizz
5. UA
4. LSU
3. Ms
2. TX
1. UGly

==========

15. UA
14. UGly
13. Mich
12. UK
11. Wash
10. Wis
9. USC
8. VU
7. MsSt
6. GaT
5. UCLA
4. SCa
3. Ark
2. OK
1. FLORIDA

==========
We’re number one baby!!!

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT