ADVERTISEMENT

Football Miami @ Florida...

I already posted the vague/general game plan that I'd try......

Mertz to start with the short to medium throws to loosen up the scUM D.
Lagway to run the RPO's for big gains, both running and passing.

The ONLY way I don't play Lagway much, is if Mertz is eating the scUM D up on every series.
Otherwise, use every tool in the box....

I already posted the vague/general game plan that I'd try......

Mertz to start with the short to medium throws to loosen up the scUM D.
Lagway to run the RPO's for big gains, both running and passing.

The ONLY way I don't play Lagway much, is if Mertz is eating the scUM D up on every series.
Otherwise, use every tool in the box....

I agree but I doubt Lagway gets much playing time unless things are going pretty bad.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I agree but I doubt Lagway gets much playing time unless things are going pretty bad.
It will be interesting to see if Napier has some packages designed for Lagway, like Meyer did for Tebow his freshman year except for different types of plays for Lagway vs. Tebow. Well, I'm sure he has something planned, it's just a matter of whether he will use them, how and when he will use them and whether the plays are any good.

Reactions: Gator Fever
It will be interesting to see if Napier has some packages designed for Lagway, like Meyer did for Tebow his freshman year except for different types of plays for Lagway vs. Tebow. Well, I'm sure he has something planned, it's just a matter of whether he will use them, how and when he will use them and whether the plays are any good.
Surely Lagway can do the jump pass if needed down by the goal line.

The iG guess is that Lagway will play some, no matter what.

How much is yet to be seen, depending on how well Mertz plays.

Just one guy's opinion, but a pretty decent breakdown, IMO.

Disagree we are better at WR as Miami has 3 pretty good starters. Wilson may be the most talented on the 2 teams but I would maybe call it even between the teams since Miami has 3 good ones to start. That Restrepo guy seems to always be open.

Disagree on TE as it sounds like he forgot Miami has Arroyo back who was injured last season. He is a supposed to be killing it in practice and is a real good athletic receiving threat. Since he doesn't have a lot of experience I would call TE an even match probably. I hope Arroyo doesn't have a coming out party this game.

Disagree we are better at WR as Miami has 3 pretty good starters. Wilson may be the most talented on the 2 teams but I would maybe call it even between the teams since Miami has 3 good ones to start. That Restrepo guy seems to always be open.

Disagree on TE as it sounds like he forgot Miami has Arroyo back who was injured last season. He is a supposed to be killing it in practice and is a real good athletic receiving threat. Since he doesn't have a lot of experience I would call TE an even match probably. I hope Arroyo doesn't have a coming out party this game.
We are deeper at WR than Miami. But from a starter to starter Comparision, I think Miami is slightly better.

Reactions: Gator Fever
After looking at both of our teams more here is how I see the position group starters and how they match up against the other teams group.

QB: Miami with the advantage though Ward can be prone to sacks and fumbles from holding the ball to long trying to find a WR. He can scramble good but doesn't have many rushing yards due to being hard headed about taking off.

RB: Miami with the advantage if Johnson isn't 100%. Martinez is a pretty good RB who is hard for safeties to tackle if he gets past the LBs.

O line: Miami with the advantage. This should be a pretty good O line. We don't know what we have really. Does Barber look a lot better injury free. Can the San Diego State guy handle rushers like Bain?

WR: Even. Both teams seem to have a pretty good group.

TE: Even. Does Boardingham take another step up and does that Miami TE live up to his hype?

D Line: Miami has the advantage and it's not close I think with the ability to pressure the QB. They have 4 guys that can get after a QB and 3 of them can easily be combined on the D line on passing downs. Some people think Miami can be worn down eventually by rushing the ball as they have mid- sized DTs.

LB: Even as both teams have strong and weak points here.

DB: Florida has the advantage here as this appears to be Miami's weakest group overall.

I am really glad this game is in the Swamp.

Reactions: mcanes
After looking at both of our teams more here is how I see the position group starters and how they match up against the other teams group.

QB: Miami with the advantage though Ward can be prone to sacks and fumbles from holding the ball to long trying to find a WR. He can scramble good but doesn't have many rushing yards due to being hard headed about taking off.

RB: Miami with the advantage if Johnson isn't 100%. Martinez is a pretty good RB who is hard for safeties to tackle if he gets past the LBs.

O line: Miami with the advantage. This should be a pretty good O line. We don't know what we have really. Does Barber look a lot better injury free. Can the San Diego State guy handle rushers like Bain?

WR: Even. Both teams seem to have a pretty good group.

TE: Even. Does Boardingham take another step up and does that Miami TE live up to his hype?

D Line: Miami has the advantage and it's not close I think with the ability to pressure the QB. They have 4 guys that can get after a QB and 3 of them can easily be combined on the D line on passing downs. Some people think Miami can be worn down eventually by rushing the ball as they have mid- sized DTs.

LB: Even as both teams have strong and weak points here.

DB: Florida has the advantage here as this appears to be Miami's weakest group overall.

I am really glad this game is in the Swamp.
I think the guy will come out with his defensive comparisons tomorrow. I'll post the link if/when he does.

Dink & Dunk quick throw 72% completion Mertz should frustrate the scUM's pass rush.

Getum on their heals and then run the big boys inside the tackles:

Then mix in the RPO packages with Lagway.

TE: Even.

H-TE Arlis Boardingham 6-3 245 rsSo - John Mackey Award Watch List
Y-TE Hayden Hanson 6-7.75 267 rsSo - Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List
2023 Combined: 38 for 439, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 6 TD's

With a true Fr surprise waiting in the wings that looks like he can do it all....
TE Amir Jackson 6-4.75 228 Fr ****
HS Sr WR - 44 for 727 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Rec, 12 TD's
Rushing - 200 Yds, 4 TD's

Defense - 57 Tkls, 6 TFL, 1 Sack.
As a HS Jr: He was clocked at 20 MPH on an end-around that he took 61 yds for a TD.

========

Under the WTF heading....

Miami TE Cam McCormick 6-5 260 Sr *** (25 years old) said Thursday that he would return to play for the Hurricanes in 2024 -- his ninth (9th) season of college football.
2023 - 8 for 62 yds, 7.75 Yds/Rec...

TE Riley Williams 6-6 240 So

2023 - 8 for 72 Yds, 9 Yds/Rec, 1 TD

With a Jr that had a single catch for 11 Yds + 5 Freshmen.

scUM 2023 (3) Combined - 17 for 145 Yds, 8.5 Yds/Rec, 1 TD

UF
2023 (2) Combined: 38 for 439, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 6 TD's

This looks like a distinct advantage to me for the Gators at the TE position.....

H-TE Arlis Boardingham 6-3 245 rsSo - John Mackey Award Watch List
Y-TE Hayden Hanson 6-7.75 267 rsSo - Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List
2023 Combined: 38 for 439, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 6 TD's

With a true Fr surprise waiting in the wings that looks like he can do it all....
TE Amir Jackson 6-4.75 228 Fr ****
HS Sr WR - 44 for 727 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Rec, 12 TD's
Rushing - 200 Yds, 4 TD's

Defense - 57 Tkls, 6 TFL, 1 Sack.
As a HS Jr: He was clocked at 20 MPH on an end-around that he took 61 yds for a TD.

========

Under the WTF heading....

Miami TE Cam McCormick 6-5 260 Sr *** (25 years old) said Thursday that he would return to play for the Hurricanes in 2024 -- his ninth (9th) season of college football.
2023 - 8 for 62 yds, 7.75 Yds/Rec...

TE Riley Williams 6-6 240 So

2023 - 8 for 72 Yds, 9 Yds/Rec, 1 TD

With a Jr that had a single catch for 11 Yds + 5 Freshmen.

scUM 2023 (3) Combined - 17 for 145 Yds, 8.5 Yds/Rec, 1 TD

UF
2023 (2) Combined: 38 for 439, 11.5 Yds/Rec, 6 TD's

This looks like a distinct advantage to me for the Gators at the TE position.....

Maybe but Arroyo who has been plagued with injuries the past 2 seasons supposedly has a real high ceiling and is doing pretty good in their scrimmages. Maybe they are hyping him too much but I have heard 3rd party talking heads saying if he can stay healthy this season he should have real nice numbers. Miami didn't throw to the TEs much last season.

Maybe but Arroyo who has been plagued with injuries the past 2 seasons supposedly has a real high ceiling and is doing pretty good in their scrimmages. Maybe they are hyping him too much but I have heard 3rd party talking heads saying if he can stay healthy this season he should have real nice numbers. Miami didn't throw to the TEs much last season.
TE Elijah Arroyo 6-4 245 Jr
Career 3 seasons - 11 for 163 Yds, 14.8 Yds/Rec, ZERO TD's

TE Elijah Arroyo 6-4 245 Jr

Yep he had someone good in front of him as a freshman and then injuries killed him. Just saying don't be shocked if he has some good plays Saturday.

I like playing Miami. I think the Big 3 should play each other every year. Would benefit all three schools and be good for state of Florida football.
Honestly don't see any benefit. Not an SEC school - doesn't add to revenue - I guess there's imaginary bragging rights, for what that's worth. Really no difference playing them or UCF from a structual standpoint.

Not really sure how I feel about playing Miami as we seem to mostly find a way to lose since the early 80s when we aren't clearly the better team on paper. I think I read we haven't beaten them when they were a ranked team since 1983. We almost blew the last game against them despite them having a freshman Tackle on their O line that got beat on basically every passing play.

It looks like Miami is 8-3 against us since the 84 season winning all the games (7) where both teams were ranked plus winning one game we were the only ranked team (that Driskel special game). They were unranked in their 3 losses. They were 2-1 at the Swamp those years with their overmatched team losing to our 08 national championship team. We definitely need to buck a trend to beat Miami Saturday.

Last edited:
Honestly don't see any benefit. Not an SEC school - doesn't add to revenue - I guess there's imaginary bragging rights, for what that's worth. Really no difference playing them or UCF from a structual standpoint.
Agreed.

Miami is a small private ACC school. It doesn’t benefit Florida in any way to play them, and it mainly results in heartache, pain, and frustration. Their fan base are primarily a bunch of thugs and ne’er-do-wells that never even attended the school. Their administration are a bunch of thieves and scoundrels who have literally made a mockery of Florida for the past 30 years. Why we even agree to play them is baffling to sadgator.

And while we are on that subject, it’s debatable as to whether there even is a “Big 3” in Florida anymore, and if there is, which schools are actually in it…we’ll likely get a lesson on that October 5.

Agreed.

Miami is a small private ACC school. It doesn’t benefit Florida in any way to play them, and it mainly results in heartache, pain, and frustration. Their fan base are primarily a bunch of thugs and ne’er-do-wells that never even attended the school. Their administration are a bunch of thieves and scoundrels who have literally made a mockery of Florida for the past 30 years. Why we even agree to play them is baffling to sadgator.

And while we are on that subject, it’s debatable as to whether there even is a “Big 3” in Florida anymore, and if there is, which schools are actually in it…we’ll likely get a lesson on that October 5.
lol I'm not sure we qualify in the Big 3 anymore hahahaha

Remember in the 90’s when that fvcking Duck would run around with the “State Champs” sign after beating FSU when they didn’t even play us…and before we played FSU…it would drive sadgator insane…

That good for nothing, lying, stealing, cesspool, sh!t hole of an institution should be ashamed of itself and seriously banned from NCAA competition….

Now that the whining is all done,,,, back to the actual game story.... 😉

ESPN Gamecast gives the Gators a 57.3% chance of victory over the Hurricanes despite Miami being a 2.5 point favorite.

Florida needs to play loose, with proverbial house money. All of the national pressure rests with Miami.

Put pressure on Ward and let Mertz and Lagway play free and loose, and the Gators should begin the nation's hardest schedule with a win.

I disagree that the pressure is on Miami. If they lose, they could still win 9-10 games and make the playoff. If the gators lose, their season is off to a real tough start.

Reactions: ocalaman
I disagree that the pressure is on Miami. If they lose, they could still win 9-10 games and make the playoff. If the gators lose, their season is off to a real tough start.
Agree. Florida's schedule is brutal compared to Miami. The Hurricanes have a bunch of probable easy wins, while Florida conceivably has only 1 - Samford. Pressure is on both teams and coaches, but I think more so on the Gators because it's a home game and they need to win as many toss-up type games as they can.

Yep he had someone good in front of him as a freshman and then injuries killed him. Just saying don't be shocked if he has some good plays Saturday.

If we're going to talk about injured out TE's, then this guy needs inclusion.

Chose Florida over Alabama, Clemson, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Tennessee, etc.

2023: Did not make an appearance after an injury in spring camp.

#2 TE Keon Zipperer 6-1.25 242 Grad-Sr **** - Lakeland, FL - UA-AA
Career - 4 seasons - 38 for 486, 12.8 Yds/rec, 4 TD's
==========

#4 TE Elijah Arroyo 6-4 245 Jr **** - Frisco, TX

Chose the scUM over Alabama, AzSt, AU, UGly, LSU, SCa, aTm, PSU, etc.
=====

While the iG likes the Gator's Fr TE Amir Jackson's potential over both of those injured guys....

#5 TE Amir Jackson 6-4.75 228 Fr - Statesboro, Ga.

HS Career - 86 for 1,437 Yds, 16.7 Yds/Rec, 17 TD's.
Picked Florida over Miami, FSU, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee, among others.

However, Boardingham and Hanson will be the one-two TE punch to watch on Saturday....

Last edited:
Saturday's 'Game Day' pressure is what I was referring to, not the season W/L pressure.....

#19 scUM vs NR Florida, with the thugs bringing in a favorite +2.5 Pt. betting line.
So Florida is playing with the No Ranking (low expectations) house money.

Last edited:
Saturday's 'Game Day' pressure is what I was referring to, not the season W/L pressure.....

#19 scUM vs NR Florida, with the thugs bringing in a favorite +2.5 Pt. betting line.
So Florida is playing with the No Ranking (low expectations) house money.

If we lose this game Napier's seat is literally on fire. He will be a dead man walking if he was to lose to A&M, @Miss State or UCF after a Miami home loss. 2 losses out of those 4 games and he might not make it to the Georgia game if KY came in and kicked our butts for a 4th straight season.

And IF do-do didn't stink, then it would smell good......

The IF game can be played both ways, what if he win 7-8-9 games???

We'll all see soon enough which way the IF goes....\
For now, I choose to think positive until and unless,,, 'Shit-Happens' ......

Florida Gators linebacker Shemar James is back, and that makes all the difference to the Gators defense. To say Shemar James’ absence during the back half of last season hurt the Gators would be an understatement.

And they added through the portal: Grayson “Pup” Howard
“He looks the part, he plays the part as well, he brings that juice, that energy, that communication, that you need from a linebacker,” James said of Howard. “You know what you’re going to get from him each and every day, consistency. You know he’s going to run to the ball and knock you down.”

Florida Gators linebacker Shemar James is back, and that makes all the difference to the Gators defense. To say Shemar James’ absence during the back half of last season hurt the Gators would be an understatement.

And they added through the portal: Grayson “Pup” Howard
“He looks the part, he plays the part as well, he brings that juice, that energy, that communication, that you need from a linebacker,” James said of Howard. “You know what you’re going to get from him each and every day, consistency. You know he’s going to run to the ball and knock you down.”

Cristobal will be back for 2025 if he goes 8-4 even with a loss @ UF and 8-3 in their games after us shouldn't be hard unless they just fell apart. Just saying this game is way more critical to Napier keeping his job than Cristobal.

I think he missed Messidor on the D line for Miami. Basically he was a twin of Bain's abilities in 2022 but was injured most of 2023. Like Bain he is 280 lb and they line him up over guards sometimes just like Bain. I hope we don't get behind the sticks too much because Miami has the ability to put 3 or 4 D linemen on the field at the same time that can get after the QB on likely passing downs.

I think we need to try and hit some passes down the field on quick throws but we didn't do that much last season. Hard to see our QB having much time with Miami's pass rush.

I think he missed Messidor on the D line for Miami. Basically he was a twin of Bain's abilities in 2022 but was injured most of 2023. Like Bain he is 280 lb and they line him up over guards sometimes just like Bain. I hope we don't get behind the sticks too much because Miami has the ability to put 3 or 4 D linemen on the field at the same time that can get after the QB on likely passing downs.

I think we need to try and hit some passes down the field on quick throws but we didn't do that much last season. Hard to see our QB having much time with Miami's pass rush.
We'll defintely get an idea if our offensive line has improved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT