ADVERTISEMENT

The People Have Spoken!

I told my wife that if Trump gets Gorsuch confirmed, he could run around nekked and grab vaginas for the rest of his term for all I care - homerun

I feel like best case would be for Trump to go down for Russia and Pence take over. That way, you didn't get Hillary, you did get Gorsuch, and you could sleep at night knowing the orange menace doesn't have any access to launch codes or state secrets. Trump also doesn't have to pretend like he enjoys the job any more and can focus on grammatically incorrect Twitter rants.

Because he thinks a guy that barely beat (and lost the popular vote) the most flawed candidate the Dems could nominate means there was some sort of mandate. and because he believes Trump will accomplish his major campaign promises. I have news for you:

There will be no wall built
There will be no mass deportations of illegals
Terrorists will still enter the country
Your taxes won't go down.
HIlary won't go to jail
Obamacare won't be repealed.
NAFTA won't be repealed
MAnd factoring jobs aren't coming back

And if you think Obama liked executive orders, wait till Trump takes over.
Bingo

Because he thinks a guy that barely beat (and lost the popular vote) the most flawed candidate the Dems could nominate means there was some sort of mandate. and because he believes Trump will accomplish his major campaign promises. I have news for you:

HIlary won't go to jail
NAFTA won't be repealed

After 5 months, I'm 9 for 9. I'm looking pretty good so far.

5000 new ICE agents and 10,000 new beds in deportation facilities sounds to me like they are fixin to deport a bunch of people.

Also American steel is being produced again, for the first time in many years. As a result of that, three coal pits have started mining again, as you can't produce steel without coke, and you can't produce coke without coal.

Your mileage may vary.

5000 new ICE agents and 10,000 new beds in deportation facilities sounds to me like they are fixin to deport a bunch of people.

Also American steel is being produced again, for the first time in many years. As a result of that, three coal pits have started mining again, as you can't produce steel without coke, and you can't produce coke without coal.

Your mileage may vary.

Thats all just anecdotal stuff, nothing significant. You may be right but I'm pretty sure you can produce steel without coal. And the US has never stopped producing steel. That's more of an economic thing that fluctuates depending on the cost of imports.

Coal is a dying industry no matter what Trump does. And it's not dying just because it's bad for the environment.

What has Trump implemented that helps those industries?

Thats all just anecdotal stuff, nothing significant. You may be right but I'm pretty sure you can produce steel without coal. And the US has never stopped producing steel. That's more of an economic thing that fluctuates depending on the cost of imports.

Coal is a dying industry no matter what Trump does. And it's not dying just because it's bad for the environment.

What has Trump implemented that helps those industries?

For the last twenty years we have been buying 99% of our steel from China. And its shit steel.

And no, you can't make steel without coking coal and expect to make steel anyone can afford, that technology is 20 years away.

Coal is not a dying industry. Where do you think your electricity comes from?

I don't know what Trump did. I just find it oddly coincidental that he becomes president and magically a steel plant that's been shut down for a decade suddenly fires up, and two coal pits reopen.

Electricity comes from many fuel sources, including nuclear, hydro, petroleum and natural gas as well as coal. The number of plants using coal to generate electricity has been declining because it is more expensive than natural gas, in addition to having a greater economic impact. With the advent of shale drilling, this will not change in the near future. I don't know why you or anyone else would care so much about coal.irs days are over. Sorry.

Your statement about Chinese is also false. My last job was in the oilfield pipe business and we purchased steel from China, Japan and the US. We were also part owners of a steel mill in Austria. The Chinese steel was the highest quality.

Coke is just another heat source used to run the furnaces. There is nothing special about it that you can't get from other heat sources. You can also make coke from petroleum products.

Where are you getting this drivel from?

Electricity comes from many fuel sources, including nuclear, hydro, petroleum and natural gas as well as coal. The number of plants using coal to generate electricity has been declining because it is more expensive than natural gas, in addition to having a greater economic impact. With the advent of shale drilling, this will not change in the near future. I don't know why you or anyone else would care so much about coal.irs days are over. Sorry.

Your statement about Chinese is also false. My last job was in the oilfield pipe business and we purchased steel from China, Japan and the US. We were also part owners of a steel mill in Austria. The Chinese steel was the highest quality.

Coke is just another heat source used to run the furnaces. There is nothing special about it that you can't get from other heat sources. You can also make coke from petroleum products.

There are still more coal fired plants than any other type combined. Until they are all gone, there is a very real need for coal. Why am I invested in coal? I grew up in West Virginia. There's nothing in WV but mines, moonshine, and Marshall University. Oh and WVU.

Most steel from china is crap. Im a welder by trade, that's how i know. If I'm welding Chinese pipe, I know that what should be a 6 hour job just became an 8 hour job. They buy it because it's cheap.

Coke is a reducing agent, and its the least expensive way to get that heat.

Where are YOU getting your drivel from?

Reactions: goldmom
The us department of energy.
EIA

No offense but buying hundreds of millions of dollars of steel in the most highly technical part of the oil industry gives me more insight than your welding experience. We used to own a LHD operating in Bluefield WV though, so I can appreciate how important it is to the people of WV.

Reactions: cableguy2

There are still more coal fired plants than any other type combined. Until they are all gone, there is a very real need for coal. Why am I invested in coal? I grew up in West Virginia. There's nothing in WV but mines, moonshine, and Marshall University. Oh and WVU.

Most steel from china is crap. Im a welder by trade, that's how i know. If I'm welding Chinese pipe, I know that what should be a 6 hour job just became an 8 hour job. They bu
y it because it's cheap.

Coke is a reducing agent, and its the least expensive way to get that heat.

Where are YOU getting your drivel from?
Generation Patterns

During the 1980s, the share of coal in the US power mix increased sharply, reaching nearly 60 percent of all power production by the end of the decade. Each decade since has seen coal lose market share, with that loss accelerating in the past 10 years. Although renewables have made a small dent in coal's use, the primary culprit has been a rise in natural gas consumption by utilities.

The only reason coal is getting displaced by natural gas is because it's cheaper to burn in the summer during demand peaks. Coal power plants won't go away for the next 100 years at least

The only reason coal is getting displaced by natural gas is because it's cheaper to burn in the summer during demand peaks. Coal power plants won't go away for the next 100 years at least
Huh? That makes no sense. It's cheaper during every time of year. The price of natural gas has decreased from $10/mcf a decade ago to less than $3 today due to the new fracturing techniques utilized in shale formations. These prices will continue to remain low due to continued strong supply.

Coal costs have gone up as it is more labor intensive and from new environmental regulations. So unless you think those are going to be overturned and we are going to resume emitting unscrubbed emissions from coal plants, their market share will continue to decline. I'm sure they won't go away entirely but their market share will continue to decline due to the high cost of new facilities. This is not just my opinion but commonly accepted by almost every industry analyst.

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/KeyCoalTrends.pdf

Last edited:
Huh? That makes no sense. It's cheaper during every time of year. The price of natural gas has decreased from $10/mcf a decade ago to less than $3 today due to the new fracturing techniques utilized in shale formations. These prices will continue to remain low due to continued strong supply.

Coal costs have gone up as it is more labor intensive and from new environmental regulations. So unless you think those are going to be overturned and we are going to resume emitting unscrubbed emissions from coal plants, their market share will continue to decline. I'm sure they won't go away entirely but their market share will continue to decline due to the high cost of new facilities. This is not just my opinion but commonly accepted by almost every industry analyst.

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/KeyCoalTrends.pdf

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't comprehend the realities. Natural Gas IS cheaper in summer....if you buying on spot prices. Most gas services have a relatively average gas price of a years time, plus min usage charges....but an electric utility isn't like most people. They buy gas cheaper in the summer, because gas demands are low...there's no heating required in summer. And to keep from building more power plant capacity, electric utilities buy the gas for peak loads during summer, when air conditioning demand rises and sets the demand peak.

The world has 300-500 years of coal reserves. Whereas, peak gas production is going to happen between 2020 and 2030, at which gas prices will again start soaring. If your "industry" analysts aren't looking at peak-gas, then its all short term wishful thinking. Coal isn't going away until nuclear starts taking a larger hold....and that ain't happening in the US anytime soon....just reference Toshiba and Westinghouse's recent nuclear power plant construction fiascoes for that cluster-frag...

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't comprehend the realities. Natural Gas IS cheaper in summer....if you buying on spot prices. Most gas services have a relatively average gas price of a years time, plus min usage charges....but an electric utility isn't like most people. They buy gas cheaper in the summer, because gas demands are low...there's no heating required in summer. And to keep from building more power plant capacity, electric utilities buy the gas for peak loads during summer, when air conditioning demand rises and sets the demand peak.

The world has 300-500 years of coal reserves. Whereas, peak gas production is going to happen between 2020 and 2030, at which gas prices will again start soaring. If your "industry" analysts aren't looking at peak-gas, then its all short term wishful thinking. Coal isn't going away until nuclear starts taking a larger hold....and that ain't happening in the US anytime soon....just reference Toshiba and Westinghouse's recent nuclear power plant construction fiascoes for that cluster-frag...
That all sounds good, except for the fact that it's not true. The attached chart https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/rngwhhdm.htm shows the spot price for Natural Gas over the last 20+ years, and there is no price decrease during the summer injection season. In fact, it looks like the price rises during the summer at least as much as it decreases. It peak price of $12 was hit during the summer of 2008. There is also no way to determine when peak gas happens since new drilling techniques will continue to unlock more reserves. All of the peak oil predictions have been proven dead wrong.

No one is saying that we don't have plenty of coal, it's just that it has a much greater negative environmental impact without a big investment. Even China, the largest producer and consumer of coal is beginning to take steps to improve the environmental impact. So unless you think Trump is going to overturn the environmental regulations over coal, its market share will continue to decline. Your optimism is in the minority so if you are so bullish on coal you can make a lot of money by buying coal stocks. Good luck with that.

To quote Goldman Sachs:

But the worst news for the industry is this: While oil and natural gas could see prices rebound as demand rises, coal has very little hope of ever seeing a price rebound again. Goldman sees long-term coal prices at $42.50 per tonne. "Unlike most other commodities, thermal coal is unlikely to experience another period of tightness ever again because investment in new coal-fired generation is becoming less common and the implied decline in long-term demand appears to be irreversible," Goldman Sachs’ analysts concluded.

Last edited:
Not bad, but I believe the GOP is going to commit political seppuku this summer and repeal the ACA.

Also, what terrorists snuck in?
Well, with the repeal now dead it looks like it's back to the drawing board. I hope some sort of bipartisan solution happens since there's no denying the ACA has some serious issues which need to be fixed.

Truth.

Right now, coal and NG account for roughly 65 of electrical generation, divided equally. Nuclear accounts for about 20% and the rest are renewable, including hydro power. In 2104 it was 39% coal and 27% NG, so there has been an economic shift to NG.

New coal plants are nearly as clean burning as NG, but they are more expensive to build. However, NG emits about 50-60% less CO2. So, if we worry about CO2 emissions, then moving to NG has been beneficial in that regard.

The world in general and America in particular benefit from havng diverse sources of electrical energy generation. I have no problem with and economic shift to NG, not the least of which is that the USA has major, major reserves of that, as well as coal. And if demand for either declines, well, just leave it in the ground for the time being. It does not go bad.

fig_1.png

The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that as of January 1, 2015, there were about 2,355 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of technically recoverable resources of dry natural gas in the United States. At the rate of U.S. dry natural gas consumption in 2015 of about 27.3 Tcf per year, the United States has enough natural gas to last about 86 years. The actual number of years will depend on the amount of natural gas consumed each year, natural gas imports and exports, and additions to natural gas reserves.

Reactions: Badsel
That all sounds good, except for the fact that it's not true. The attached chart https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/rngwhhdm.htm shows the spot price for Natural Gas over the last 20+ years,........

Actually it IS true. You aren't looking at the internals. If you examine specific state data, you'll see where the data for Utility Users is indicated as W....for withdrawn. If you look at internals for industrial users, you'll see where in several states the prices starts to fall after April and doesn't pick back up until October. There are always outliers, but electrical utility companies have been building gas turbine plants for YEARS to avoid expanding coal burning plants, because of the cheaper gas cost (and less EPA hurdles for gas turbines), and the fact peak electric demand in most states south of the 40th parallel is in summer, whereas peak gas usage is not.

Take it or leave it ~ I don't care.

HIlary won't go to jail
NAFTA won't be repealed

Just thought I would bump this. With the travel ban overturned once again, and no tax plan, I'm still batting 1000.

For the last twenty years we have been buying 99% of our steel from China. And its shit steel.

And no, you can't make steel without coking coal and expect to make steel anyone can afford, that technology is 20 years away.

Coal is not a dying industry. Where do you think your electricity comes from?

I don't know what Trump did. I just find it oddly coincidental that he becomes president and magically a steel plant that's been shut down for a decade suddenly fires up, and two coal pits reopen.
Out here, our electricity comes from hydroelectric facilities

Did you notice he's quietly packing the federal bench with Antonin Scalia clones? Matter of fact hes appointed more judges so far than the Savior did in his whole presidency. You can thank Harry Reid for that.
Only because your side tefused to play by the rules

Did you notice he's quietly packing the federal bench with Antonin Scalia clones? Matter of fact hes appointed more judges so far than the Savior did in his whole presidency. You can thank Harry Reid for that.
I'm fine with that. I've got no problem with conservative judges. Then The next pres will change it back and so on it goes.

Very telling comments on Election Day. All of the good posters have been replaced by you retards.

How about now?
Are you really not the same Ghost as used to post here and got banned? You sure post like him.

But to answer your question, I must be a psychic. Let’s see.

1. No wall. Check
2. No mass deportations. Check
3. Terrorists. Half credit. There have only been two by foreigners. Two by Americans. Much better than I thought though. Terrorism has been replaced by hate crimes as a bigger threat.
4. Tax cut. Wrong. I didn’t realize Trump so stupid to blow the budget during an economic expansion.
5. Hillary still not in jail. Check (sorry Ghost, whichever one you are).
6. Obamacare still the law. Check.
7. NAFTA. Still here, just modified slightly. Changed the name though.
8. Manufacturing jobs. Check. Still well below prior peak, and actually lower as a percentage of total jobs. We’re a service economy.
9. Executive Orders. Yep, Trump loves them.
10. Coal not coming back. Check. Sorry EvilWays.

So 8.5 out of 10. Pretty damn good.

I should have said no China trade deal. No way I could have predicted the dumb tariffs though.

Are you really not that Ghost of Spaceheater idiot? You post just like him.

1. Wall. Check
2. Mass deportations. Check
3. Terrorists. ISIS wiped out, Trump belongs on Mt Rushmore.
4. Tax cut. Another win for working Americans
5. Hillary should still be in jail. Work in progress
6. Obamacare still costing Americans billions. Work in progress
7. NAFTA. Check.
8. Manufacturing jobs. Check.
9. Executive Orders. Check
10. Out of disasterous Paris Climate Accord. Check.

So 2 out of 10. Bad times for dems, good times for patriotic Americans.

And the last 2 will be done well before 2025. #NotTiredOfWinning

Well on post #111, you did use the phrase "you retards", as though you are the great one who deigns to descend from the heights of Mount Olympus to explain politics, economics, etc. to us mere mortals.

Yes I did. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. But I’m not like the idiot guy from Waco always bragging about how smart he is.

But I do find you one of the more balanced posters on here, so I wouldn't lump you in with the others. Most claim to be so enlightened, yet all repeat the same old Alt Right nonsense you find in every blog.

I’ll give you props for fighting the good fight. You generally give as good as you get. I probably disagree with you 80+% of the time but I never take your comments personal and hope you feel the same.

i lol’ed at the one-eyed man comment; I first heard that from my late father in-law years ago and use that expression myself from time to time.

Cool. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me as long as they bring something to the table. That Ghost guy is just a spammer, but it looks like I’ll have to converse with him since I offended/exposed Sunburnt.

And the last 2 will be done well before 2025. #NotTiredOfWinning
So, let’s go through your dumb responses one by one.

Tell me about this Wall that Donald built like he promised. And that Mexico was going to pay for. I must have missed that. This will be your first test to see if you can respond with anything besides spam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT