ADVERTISEMENT

Texas school shooting...

I understand the purpose of civil asset forfeiture, drug dealers assets are almost entirely liquid, and being able to seize their cars, homes, etc hits them where it hurts.

But that's not what happens anymore, like my gun, or my buddy who gave his grandson a home after his parents kicked him out, only to have his home seized when the little shit started dealing meth.

Both stories are extreme and anecdotal, but the fact that either could and did happen highlights the problem.

The deal with your gun is wrong...and potentially criminally wrong.

The house deal....well, I sort of have to agree with the state on that one.

But it actually doesn't.

A cop can lie on the stand and the judge or defense lawyer may allow him to get away with it, but that has nothing to do with qualified immunity.

If I break the law and there's no reasonable explanation for how my actions were reasonable under the color of law, I'm screwed. For example, lying on the witness stand...not covered.

Imagine I pull a person over for weaving. This person appears drunk and then they fail/refuse a field sobriety test so I arrest them for DUI. It's latter determined that the person had diabetes and their blood sugar was out of control. In this situation qualified immunity covers me.

Without qualified immunity, I could be held liable both criminally and civilly. That would be unreasonable imho.

We have to make snap judgment calls in the moment based on the information available to us. Without qualified immunity, we cannot do that. No one would be able to.

Qualified immunity doesn't help a bad cop be bad. It helps a good cop if he makes a reasonable mistake. Literally that's all it can do. If it's ever doing more, the blame lies with the judge or local prosecutor....who both have UNQUALIFIED (see absolute) immunity ftr....which means they cannot be held to account for their actions regardless of intent.

Show me a cop that had to pay over claiming weaving or other BS that the video shows wasnt close to a legit traffic stop. The person just gets the case tossed. I have never heard of a cop ever paying for pulling that. They just claim well I thought that was enough for the stop. The only way they would get in trouble is if their chief fired them finally for that lying mess.

The deal with your gun is wrong...and potentially criminally wrong.

The house deal....well, I sort of have to agree with the state on that one.
And that sir, is horse poo. I don't care if he was MAKING meth, it's not his house, so they shouldn't be able to seize it.

If i was unclear, when I say my buddy gave him a home, I don't mean he gave him the house, i mean he gave him a place to live, in this case in a room above a non connected garage.

And that sir, is horse poo. I don't care if he was MAKING meth, it's not his house, so they shouldn't be able to seize it.

If i was unclear, when I say my buddy gave him a home, I don't mean he gave him the house, i mean he gave him a place to live, in this case in a room above a non connected garage.
I get how you feel...its just not how the law reads. I had someone I did not know very well come on my boat one evening having cocktail..later (early in to the morning) he said.."you want some of this". I looked at it...(still do not knoe what it really was) and knew it was some sort of hard drug. I told him to GTFO of my boat...NOW. He risked me losing my boat by bringing that on there. He never was invited back

Oh ok...I thought you meant that the home belonged to the meth dealer. Agree, that is wrong.

Show me a cop that had to pay over claiming weaving or other BS that the video shows wasnt close to a legit traffic stop. The person just gets the case tossed. I have never heard of a cop ever paying for pulling that. They just claim well I thought that was enough for the stop. The only way they would get in trouble is if their chief fired them finally for that lying mess.

That lack of "paying" has nothing to do with qualified immunity.

A cop could easily be held civilly liable for lying about Probable Cause...very likely could pay criminally as well.

Your point is that you don't believe that they ever do. If we accept that you are right, the DA and/or the judge is to blame. You could also blame the local police authority because they could charge him too if it rose to the level of a crime and if the cop swore to the events, knowing that they were false, it's absolutely a crime.

But again, it's not Qualified Immunity that is protecting the cop under your scenario.

I'm honestly surprised that they can take "Jim's" home if "Mike" was committing the crime in Jim's home without Jim's knowledge.

I wouldn't swear to it because I've never been involved in a scenario like that but I don't believe that this could happen in Alabama. I think that we would have to prove Jim was also culpable in the offense.

Reactions: instaGATOR
That lack of "paying" has nothing to do with qualified immunity.

A cop could easily be held civilly liable for lying about Probable Cause...very likely could pay criminally as well.

Your point is that you don't believe that they ever do. If we accept that you are right, the DA and/or the judge is to blame. You could also blame the local police authority because they could charge him too if it rose to the level of a crime and if the cop swore to the events, knowing that they were false, it's absolutely a crime.

But again, it's not Qualified Immunity that is protecting the cop under your scenario.

I think they do use that to toss the suits on things like that in Florida. They just say the cop felt he had reasonable suspicion even though he didn't and say because it was part of his duties it falls under qualified immunity. They never charge a cop for lying on a report when they claim weaving or nonsense like that was the reason for the stop in their reports. Heck until recently they usually never even got charged for blatant lying on use of force reports etc.

I'm honestly surprised that they can take "Jim's" home if "Mike" was committing the crime in Jim's home without Jim's knowledge.

I wouldn't swear to it because I've never been involved in a scenario like that but I don't believe that this could happen in Alabama. I think that we would have to prove Jim was also culpable in the offense.
The onus was on "Jim" proving he didn't know what "Mike" was up to.

• Angry
Reactions: BamaFan1137
I get how you feel...its just not how the law reads. I had someone I did not know very well come on my boat one evening having cocktail..later (early in to the morning) he said.."you want some of this". I looked at it...(still do not knoe what it really was) and knew it was some sort of hard drug. I told him to GTFO of my boat...NOW. He risked me losing my boat by bringing that on there. He never was invited back
And if they had taken your boat, you would have had to prove you didn't know he had illegal drugs on him. That's ridiculous, am I supposed to pat down everyone that comes in my home or gets in my vehicle?

Ok, that's ridiculous. And it's un-American.
Also, they originally tried to implicate "Jim" in said drug dealing. He and his invalid wife were taken into custody during the raid. I never saw the warrant but it seems to me if you have two unconnected structures on the same property, you have to get a warrant for each of them, like a mansion with an unconnected guest house. I would bet a dollar to a donut if "Jim" had understood his grandson was a turd and that's why his parent's abandoned him, he wouldn't have taken him in either.

And if they had taken your boat, you would have had to prove you didn't know he had illegal drugs on him. That's ridiculous, am I supposed to pat down everyone that comes in my home or gets in my vehicle?

Laughed at this because as a young man (age 16 to about 21) I had a friend that I would pat down every time before he got in my car. It became so routine that he would assume the position before getting in my car even if we were talking about other crap. Completely nonchalant. 😂

To your point, that's a ridiculous standard...even though I did it. 😂🤣😂

• Haha
Also, they originally tried to implicate "Jim" in said drug dealing. He and his invalid wife were taken into custody during the raid. I would bet a dollar to a donut if "Jim" had understood his grandson was a turd and that's why his parent's abandoned him, he wouldn't have taken him in either.

"Mike" sounds like a real d!ck.

But taking a home that didn't belong to him should be against the law.

Laughed at this because as a young man (age 16 to about 21) I had a friend that I would pat down every time before he got in my car. It became so routine that he would assume the position before getting in my car even if we were talking about other crap. Completely nonchalant. 😂

Yeah I got friends I have to ask if they have active warrants or are illegally concealing firearms. It's gotten to the point I don't give people rides anymore.

Yeah I got friends I have to ask if they have active warrants or are illegally concealing firearms. It's gotten to the point I don't give people rides anymore.

I get it.

This friend snuck weed into my car one too many times. And it wasn't that I was super against weed. It was just against the law and cops took that more seriously when I was young.

They made us pour out our beer but they would arrest you for weed. As the driver, good chance that I would have been arrested too. Charges would've eventually been dropped (almost certainly) but that night would have sucked.

Also, and this varies by state, but if no one claims ownership of the illegal item, the driver "owns" it and is charged.

Even if the passenger owns the vehicle, the driver is in command of the vehicle and is culpable. Food for thought that you probably knew but others may not.

Unbelievable How is this department not totally disbanded yet.

Is that a trick question?

Because the Sovereign Citizens have failed themselves and their families by not holding their own public SERVANTS accountable for the action, or their inactions....

Reactions: Gator Fever
Is that a trick question?

Because the Sovereign Citizens have failed themselves and their families by not holding their own public SERVANTS accountable for the action, or their inactions....

Excellent point...kick the mayor and the city council out of office, elect officials that believe in law and order. They will in turn hire competent leadership at the police department after which the problem will resolve itself.

Worse than I even thought. It appears the school officer had 3 1/2 minutes to confront the shooter before he entered the school after seeing him wreck and shooting accross the street and the first cop isn't seen entering the school for like 6 1/2 minutes after that and are clearly just worried about their safety the whole time. After he shot when some cops finally came near the classroom it looks like almost a half hour or so passed before they even went back to that area again and then they waited for like another 25 something minutes around the classroom before actually going in and confronting the gunman. I think there isn't one cop that was on scene that wasn't a coward if that off duty Fed that said we need to go in was part of that group that finally went back to the classroom again.

Last edited:

Called "zero tolerance". I owned a 40 ft SeaRay for 20 years, and was well aware of this. If you get busted for Drugs ion your boat...they COULD seize the boat. I believe this is a federal law

"you sleep with dogs you get fleas"

• Haha
Reactions: BayouGator1995
Coming from a retired swat in Jax.

Victims families aren't letting the Uvalde cowards live this down.

He is right. It is very sad those cowards put their lives over the kids lives. Reading that report is a frickin joke and you can see they were just taking actions to protect themselves - like the shooter would be in there emptying his clip in an empty classroom. Also we clearly see there was no border patrol hero as we were led to believe - they just led the rest down the hallway after a bunch of time and then stood around forever also. Every single cop there was a coward and should turn their badge in.

Trying to figure out why the media would write nonsense like this when we all saw what those specific officers pulled on the video. I guess trying to get the focus on pushing gun control.

Trust me in my younger years I was right there too...and my dad used to always pull out that 1800's cliché

I actually agree with your dad.

There's certainly no guarantee that being around bad behavior will cause one to participate in said behavior but it certainly puts them at a higher risk.

There before the Grace of God go I. I was very lucky and I'm grateful.

ADVERTISEMENT