ADVERTISEMENT

So much for Tom Herman...

PacoGator19

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
that star is now faded. Good coach but not sold that he's the next great thing either that some on here claim.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Chad Morris is still a name to watch. Taking over the mess June Jones left when he quit was a very big mess. When it's all said and done it won't be all that much of a loss. Morris will be right there on Herman.

I think we are being overboard critical of Herman. Isn't our coaches best season 10-3 at Colorado State? And Herman did beat Big Game Bob and his Sooners? Not sure thats not a bigger win than anything Mac has done as a HBC to this point.

Reactions: BringBackBonner
I think we are being overboard critical of Herman. Isn't our coaches best season 10-3 at Colorado State? And Herman did beat Big Game Bob and his Sooners? Not sure thats not a bigger win than anything Mac has done as a HBC to this point.
Oh Dear.

Remind us again, which team has McElwain lost to, when his team was a favorite. Because I can count two games Herman lost to vastly inferior teams in this year alone.

Oh Dear.

Remind us again, which team has McElwain lost to, when his team was a favorite. Because I can count two games Jimbo lost to vastly inferior teams in this year alone.

hhhmmm....that sounds awfully familiar.

tumblr_nbipn2Gc971rrx588o1_500.gif

Mac is 14-0 against teams he was favored to beat at UF. What is Herman against teams they were favored to beat this season?

So we feel better that Mac is terrible against quality opponents because Tom Herman lost a game he was favored to win?!?!?! I see the logic here
YOU are the one that made the comparisons between the two, based upon your perception of the signature wins of each. You wrote that feel better about Herman because YOU perceive his signature wins to be more impressive than McElwain's signature wins.

Live with your own logic

YOU are the one that made the comparisons between the two, based upon your perception of the signature wins of each. You wrote that feel better about Herman because YOU perceive his signature wins to be more impressive than McElwain's signature wins.

Live with your own logic

You know how you know our program is in a shitty place MJ??? Look at these threads, we start threads about FSU, Miami, Tom Herman, Rich Rod, Jameis Winston, Kirby Smart, UGa, Dan Mullen. Why? Because UF football has lost all its excitement. We are more concerned with defending our mediocrity. Its really sad. And sorry to say it, other than Mac completely changing what he does, hiring Helfrich as OC and Derek Mason as DC, this isn't the guy that will get it done. Mac doesn't bring excitement, sorry

For whom?

BTW, as schizophrenic as Jimbo's teams sometimes are, it would not surprise me to see FSU beat Clemson. Plus the fact that the Tigers have been playing less than stellar football as of late.

For whom?

BTW, as schizophrenic as Jimbo's teams sometimes are, it would not surprise me to see FSU beat Clemson. Plus the fact that the Tigers have been playing less than stellar football as of late.

We won't be able to block Clemson which could mean the running game is bottled up and/or Francois takes too much of a beating. I expect this one to be really painful to watch. I plan to drink excessively to numb myself from it.

Live with your own logic

MJ, do you think McElwain has a better win than Herman v. OU or FSU? Herman has worse losses, although he is at Houston. I don't know who McElwain lost to at CSU.

MJ, do you think McElwain has a better win than Herman v. OU or FSU? Herman has worse losses, although he is at Houston. I don't know who McElwain lost to at CSU.
Hard to say. I guess the signature wins for McElwain are Ole Miss, UT and UGA? All last year. For Herman they are OU and FSU? One this year and one last year.

Which set of wins are more impressive depends on what a fan likes in a team. The UF wins against UT and UGA had a lot riding on them, conference wise. I think conference wins against reasonably tough opponents are harder to come by than non conference wins against tough opponents. Houston's game against FSU was a bowl game and FSU wase not ready to play, or did not give a damn. Much like our game against Michigan. OU no longer plays much defense, which gave Houston a clear advantage in that game.

Which set of signature wins is more impressive is not clear cut. It is a matter of opinion. I might be able to be talked into either position.

But I DO know that McElwain has not have any "wtf?" losses while at Florida. Herman has at least two this year alone. To be sure, some of McElwain's wins were "wtf we should have beaten them by more" kinds of wins. But those ugly wins are far better than ugly losses.

Most Gator fans would rather a 44-38 kind of win compared to a 13-7 kind of win. But both are the same margin of victory. Both count the same. In most cases, many of us would rather a Herman kind of coach. Offense. Lots of scoring. I understand that. I love good offenses too.

Hard to say. I guess the signature wins for McElwain are Ole Miss, UT and UGA? All last year. For Herman they are OU and FSU? One this year and one last year.

Which set of wins are more impressive depends on what a fan likes in a team. The UF wins against UT and UGA had a lot riding on them, conference wise. I think conference wins against reasonably tough opponents are harder to come by than non conference wins against tough opponents. Houston's game against FSU was a bowl game and FSU wase not ready to play, or did not give a damn. Much like our game against Michigan. OU no longer plays much defense, which gave Houston a clear advantage in that game.

Which set of signature wins is more impressive is not clear cut. It is a matter of opinion. I might be able to be talked into either position.

But I DO know that McElwain has not have any "wtf?" losses while at Florida. Herman has at least two this year alone. To be sure, some of McElwain's wins were "wtf we should have beaten them by more" kinds of wins. But those ugly wins are far better than ugly losses.

Most Gator fans would rather a 44-38 kind of win compared to a 13-7 kind of win. But both are the same margin of victory. Both count the same. In most cases, many of us would rather a Herman kind of coach. Offense. Lots of scoring. I understand that. I love good offenses too.

Gator fans want to win 44-7 so they can complain about not breaking 50 and losing the shutout.

These are the kinds of wins that I really like:

+32 -- + 27 --- +14 --- And all 3 were about equally satisfying to me. :cool:

But they were vs marginal teams with no history or traditions.... ;)

No longer on the Jimbo wagon?

Oh, and too the question. Been pretty honest re Jimbo. I think he's a pretty solid HC (or could be), but is a terrible multi-tasker. He needs to turn over the reigns to a competent OC and bring in an even better DC. He also needs to learn how to dumb down his offense to get the playmakers on the field...grow the playbook WITH the players. Don't side-line them for 2 years waiting on them to learn the darn calculus of his PB. JMO.

As to your Clemson game comment. I agree. Clemson could boat race us or we could 2013 them. Anything is possible.

Agree with a lot of this. I think most fans prefer to have he offense taken care of, because you feel like you can coach up defense like Spurrier bringing n Stoops.

Reactions: MJWilliamson

Ita not logical. Its not fair. But its what I told Danny when we had Chump. Less pressure goes on a coach at 8-4 with an exciting offense than a coach at 10-2 with the shit we have watched for years. Like I said, not logical, not fair, but at the end of the day football is entertainment.

Ita not logical. Its not fair. But its what I told Danny when we had Chump. Less pressure goes on a coach at 8-4 with an exciting offense than a coach at 10-2 with the shit we have watched for years. Like I said, not logical, not fair, but at the end of the day football is entertainment.

If I thought 10 wins is sustainable playing the way we have, I'd be good with it. But my concern is that the defense is going to degrade as Muschamp's players leave. We hired this guy to bring in an offense, like Spurrier and like Meyer, and to this point I have not seen it. But I admit he was not left much to work with on offense. 15-5 is pretty good. I would like to see us start showing up against the big boys. We'll have some opportunities later this year. LSU, FSU, Arkansas and UGA are talented teams that are nonetheless beatable. I'd like to see us at least split.

If I thought 10 wins is sustainable playing the way we have, I'd be good with it. But my concern is that the defense is going to degrade as Muschamp's players leave. We hired this guy to bring in an offense, like Spurrier and like Meyer, and to this point I have not seen it. But I admit he was not left much to work with on offense. 15-5 is pretty good. I would like to see us start showing up against the big boys. We'll have some opportunities later this year. LSU, FSU, Arkansas and UGA are talented teams that are nonetheless beatable. I'd like to see us at least split.

IMO next year could be a very rough year for us. Schedule with a huge step down in defense.

I agree.

I know Houston was "favored," but that could just mean that Houston was overrated and the other team was underrated. It's hard to gauge a "bad" loss until the end of the season.

He still deserves credit for getting our expectations so high that two losses seems like a huge let-down. Don't forget that Houston isn't even a P5 team.

Agree with a lot of this. I think most fans prefer to have he offense taken care of, because you feel like you can coach up defense like Spurrier bringing n Stoops.

I'm at the point where I think it's a 40:60 probability, FSU:Clemson. FSU seems to have plugged some gaps over the last couple of weeks (sort of). Francois is turning out to be a solid QB with a good attitude. Some key injured players should be back (to be fair, same for Clemson).

Aside from recruiting, Jimbo's "other" biggest strength is his ability to make strategic adjustments. I don't think he's a great "in the moment" tactician. But he is good at figuring out what's "broke" and fixing it in time for the second half. FSU, under Jimbo, seems to be two different teams in the first vs second half. He probably benefits from the extra time to prepare more than Dabo.

If FSU pulls the upset, I'm going to start worrying about Jimbo jumping to LSU, or even UT again.

Herman's a good coach. He has not proven to be anymore than that at this time. He's not the automatic slam dunk hire for a Texas or LSU that many on here believe.

Houston getting beat by 3 TDs against a team you were favorite to beat by 3 TDs is not good at all. You can't put any spin on that.

Overreaction much? He's had two bad losses, no excuses. But he went 13-1 year one and will probably win 10 games again this year. And his side of the ball that he was hired to fix (offense) has been elite from day 1 with a QB who played receiver for 3 years before he got there. Always baffles me how people here judge other coaches with much less talent so harshly while making every excuse in the book for our coaches when we don't perform. Like how it was raining.

Overreaction much? He's had two bad losses, no excuses. But he went 13-1 year one and will probably win 10 games again this year. And his side of the ball that he was hired to fix (offense) has been elite from day 1 with a QB who played receiver for 3 years before he got there. Always baffles me how people here judge other coaches with much less talent so harshly while making every excuse in the book for our coaches when we don't perform. Like how it was raining.

Oh wait, he took what he had and made it work? That is such a strange concept.

I still think he's a great coach. Need to look at the overall job, not just a game or two either way.

I may be wrong but the team they lost too this weekend was a confernce opponent. Houston has much more talent than SMU. So he didn't have less talent this weekend than the team that they were favored to beat by 22 points.

Don't forget they were favored to beat Navy by 15 points and lost that game as well.

Herman is a good coach but I'm not crowning him yet and putting him in the elite category like some appear to be doing.

Remember some were doing the same thing over Rich Rodriguez.

Tom Herman's wins vs Memphis and Navy last year were impressive. The Memphis win was without Greg Ward Jr. Add in FSU last year and Oklahoma this year. Both very impressive.

The loss to Navy this year was not bad IMO. They are a good team with a complicated offense.

The SMU loss was horrible when you compare the talent. Coaching wise, Chad Morris will be a force in the future.

I may be wrong but the team they lost too this weekend was a confernce opponent. Houston has much more talent than SMU. So he didn't have less talent this weekend than the team that they were favored to beat by 22 points.

Don't forget they were favored to beat Navy by 15 points and lost that game as well.

Herman is a good coach but I'm not crowning him yet and putting him in the elite category like some appear to be doing.

Remember some were doing the same thing over Rich Rodriguez.

We all need to watch more ball and less Vegas lines to call Navy a bad loss.

Not arguing, just speaking good on Navy's football program and coach.

The SMU loss was bad when comparing talent. No doubt about that.

I don't think it is fair to compare Tom Herman's record at Houston to MC's record at CSU.

Herman still had a few of Sumlin's recruits as upper class men. Then the fact that Texas area preps that are left over from the Big 12 schools non signed are light years ahead of any Colorado area players.

I agree.

I know Houston was "favored," but that could just mean that Houston was overrated and the other team was underrated. It's hard to gauge a "bad" loss until the end of the season.

He still deserves credit for getting our expectations so high that two losses seems like a huge let-down. Don't forget that Houston isn't even a P5 team.
Houston's 2 losses this year are to conference opponents in the AAC, not to any P5 schools. As of right now there is a good chance that Houston won't even make the AAC conference championship game.

I tend to agree with this.

Always baffles me how people here judge other coaches with much less talent so harshly while making every excuse in the book for our coaches when we don't perform. Like how it was raining.
Kind of like how some Gator fans harshly judge McElwain's offense, even though the talent level he inherited was pretty damn bad. Ammirite?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT