ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thread

Very good, but not great, class IMO. FSU seems to be getting higher-ranked players than us at just about every position and we're down now to #5 in the SEC on the ESPN board. McElwain has, however, addressed needs very well. DT is going be a huge need in next year's class, plus we need to get another big time QB, 2-3 quality linebackers and 3-4 more good offensive linemen. WR and overall playmakers are being addressed, but the offensive line has been a recurring problem. And to be in the SEC and national title hunt, we've got to have several big time interior defensive linemen. Time will tell the real quality of all these classes, but what he did with last year's class in a very short time period and then how he built this year's class tells me we're headed in the right direction.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Alabama’s gain was Florida’s loss Wednesday when CB Aaron Robinson, a Florida commitment, flipped and signed with the Crimson Tide.

Robinson put on the Alabama cap at an announcement Wednesday morning at Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High. The 6-foot-1, 178-pound Robinson was a three-star recruit. He had four interceptions and 41 tackles as a high school senior.

According to Onlygators.com the only LOI not in from the commits is Jeremiah Moon. Any news on him?

Great news about Moon - So we're waiting on Fulton & Simpson and we're done? Or there a couple other guys still unsigned and on the board McElwain could go after?

Very good, but not great, class IMO. FSU seems to be getting higher-ranked players than us at just about every position and we're down now to #5 in the SEC on the ESPN board. McElwain has, however, addressed needs very well. DT is going be a huge need in next year's class, plus we need to get another big time QB, 2-3 quality linebackers and 3-4 more good offensive linemen. WR and overall playmakers are being addressed, but the offensive line has been a recurring problem. And to be in the SEC and national title hunt, we've got to have several big time interior defensive linemen. Time will tell the real quality of all these classes, but what he did with last year's class in a very short time period and then how he built this year's class tells me we're headed in the right direction.

I think this is a fair take. This is a good class that sured up some needs, but not elite overall. The difference between a #10 class and let's say #2 or #3 is depth of talent and those 1-2 difference makers that win you games.

Using us as an example, during the Meyer years both us and FSU were consistently in the top 5-10 in recruiting. Yet it seemed like we outclassed them when we played. Why? Because we had those 1-2 difference makers in Harvin, Tebow, etc. Once those gigs left, we suddenly didn't look as if we outclassed them on talent anymore. Because those 1-2 players made all the difference. So yes having a top 10 class is good, but it puts us behind the 8-ball when a top 10 class places us 5th or 6th in the SEC alone. BTW, we probably won't finish top10 without landing Simpson or Fulton.

That said, if we close with those two it's a more than adequate class. Idk if it would be championship caliber but we'd have filled needs and some of our position groups could compete with anybody's. We have some guys who have the potential to be that elite difference maker like Gardner, Clayton, and Cleveland. But the depth isn't there.

Alabama’s gain was Florida’s loss Wednesday when CB Aaron Robinson, a Florida commitment, flipped and signed with the Crimson Tide.

Robinson put on the Alabama cap at an announcement Wednesday morning at Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High. The 6-foot-1, 178-pound Robinson was a three-star recruit. He had four interceptions and 41 tackles as a high school senior.

In return Saban went after RB Perine hard. We beat them out for the K and the LB as well. Not bad.

Sure he has...

...with the good guys.
It's beyond hilarious that by all accounts, he didn't have the grades to come to UF so he is now going to FSU. ESPN reported it on TV. What a perfect storyline to summarize the differences in the two universities.

ESPN just reported that Shavar Manuel may have backed off his commitment to UF because he might not have qualified academically. Apparently he hasn't signed with anyone yet and has an announcement upcoming, projected to be with FSU. I don't know how good the guy is, but it hurts mainly because this class is thin on interior defensive linemen.

It's beyond hilarious that by all accounts, he didn't have the grades to come to UF so he is now going to FSU. ESPN reported it on TV. What a perfect storyline to summarize the differences in the two universities.
Sad ole' Jim hasn't schmoozed the academic department the way Meyer did...he'll get there, though, don't worry. If not, you guys are gonna need some more music classes or you'll never be back on top.

signed,
danoleman

o_O

The entrance requirements for athletes at both schools are practically the same.

Manuel's academics are ok. Aaron Robinson on the other hand as I alluded to the other day as some academic hurdles to clear. Robinson hasnt even taken the ACT or SAT. I'm not even sure how that happens. Bama is likely going to grey shirt him. I'm not even sure Robinson received an LOI from UF

I am not commenting on the standards for athletes. Simply saying it is a funny storyline bc it is the reason a majority of FSU students did not come to Florida. That is all. Don't get all butt hurt guys

Sad ole' Jim hasn't schmoozed the academic department the way Meyer did...he'll get there, though, don't worry. If not, you guys are gonna need some more music classes or you'll never be back on top.

signed,
danoleman

o_O
Well played sir. You have captured the lad's "logic" well

I am not commenting on the standards for athletes. Simply saying it is a funny storyline bc it is the reason a majority of FSU students did not come to Florida. That is all. Don't get all butt hurt guys

lol sour grapes, FSU just picked up top 5 OT in Landon Dickerson BTW.

Reactions: uf27.2 and BeANole

Why are you even on a Gator board on NSD when the subject line isn't even FSU titled? I would understand you being on the Ron Simmons thread but you are on there talking about male asses and pains while you should be celebrating Nole future players.

Don't be surprised if Fulton doesn't sign his LOI no matter who he picks. We will see.

lol sour grapes, FSU just picked up top 5 OT in Landon Dickerson BTW.

Crazy haul for the Noles on the DL & OL today. Always needed. Not upset with the quality WR we signed, but I wish we had the depth of the receiver class UF put together. Outstanding group.

Well, we are 11 now and falling. Rankings aren't everything and we still have to see these guys on the field before making an ultimate judgement, but this would be the lowest ranked bumped class in UF's modern era. Will have to double check but I also think it would be the lowest ranked non-transition class. Oh well, just gotta enjoy the guys we do have.

Looks like the class landed a little bit toward the pessimistic end of the spectrum of predictions, heading into signing day: a good but not great class. If last year's class surprised to the upside, this one probably surprised to the downside. I'm not going to freak out about it. If we improve on the field, I think recruiting will follow. Mac might want to make sure he's got all the recruiters that he needs on staff, though. There was a lot of noise that his coaches underwhelmed on the recruiting trail.

This class just has us treading water, at best, and more likely falling further behind the main teams we want to beat. Talent level is definitely heading down after the past two classes, although the transition class was obviously excusable.

It was a good class but not a great class. Still lots of talented prospects and we filled a lot of needs. The 12 EEs are big.

The biggest issue is the SEC is so dominant on the field and in recruiting that it isn't easy. I mean look how many SEC schools are in the top 10-15 in recruiting. It's brutal. This would be considered a very good to great class if we weren't in the SEC.

It was a good class but not a great class. Still lots of talented prospects and we filled a lot of needs. The 12 EEs are big.

The biggest issue is the SEC is so dominant on the field and in recruiting that it isn't easy. I mean look how many SEC schools are in the top 10-15 in recruiting. It's brutal. This would be considered a very good to great class if we weren't in the SEC.

Precisely. Which is why those saying its a top 10 or top 15 class isn't taking the full picture into account. In most conferences, that nets us the top class in the conference. In the SEC we sign a class rated 11th and 6 teams on our schedule are ahead of us. We're going to have to hope our coaches are that much better at talent evaluation than others to compete and that just seems unlikely all things considered. With the way recruiting is now not that many players go under the radar anymore. The likelihood that all our lower rated guys have somehow been overlooked just defies basic logic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT