ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals Five-Star Live from Jacksonville: 4:30 pm Update:

JasonHigdon

Bull Gator
Staff
Nov 5, 2021
The first thing I want to discuss is that this is 7 on 7, and people need to understand that this is nothing more than two-hand touch football. None of these kids(95%) have ever played together. It is nice to see what kids look like physically and see them compete, but this in no way defines what kind of player you are or will be when the pads go on. The QBs have all day to throw with zero pass rush, and the DBs are at a disadvantage. The players looked impressive in this atmosphere in no particular order.

Taeshaun Gelsey is going to be a monster to handle as he continues to develop and get stronger. I am glad he was able to attend. He is a very quiet and shy person. Plenty of Rivals people were talking about him early during the one-on-one portion of the event. During the actual 7 on 7, the TE position is often overlooked.

Donovan Olugbode is going to be a monster as well. Not only him, but plenty of the WRs stood out, and they should. My only complaint is that all these guys want to Odell Beckham the football with the spectacular one-handed grab when they don't need to do that. They pulled it off plenty of times but had plenty of drops as well.

The most physically impressive looking LB I thought was Nathaniel Owuso-Boateng. He got banged up early and did not compete in the 7-on-7 later in the day.

I love the instincts that Bryce Fitzgerald showed. I also felt Naeshaun Montgomery was very smooth/quick in his routes and has great hands.

I can only watch one thing at a time, BUT the most impressive quarterback by far from what I saw was the Ohio State quarterback, Tavien St. Clair. I need to confirm that it was him, but that should be accurate according to the roster I have (I got it late, though, so I want to make sure it's accurate). That kid is big and throws into some of the tightest windows. I was at the 45 watching his team because Gelsey was the TE on that team and was standing with three other players on the team St.. Clair threw about a 35-yard missle for a TD, and both the players looked at me and said they didn't even see the WR coming open. The intangibles and arm strength/accuracy were impressive from the future Buckeye. Not just based on today, but I have always felt Julian Lewis was ranked way too high overall, and after what I saw today, I would not take him over St. Clair.

Tramell Jones throws a nice ball as well. He was on the same team as Brady Smigiel and most of the time I looked that was it was Brady at QB. The QBs all evenly rotate on each team. I spent a while talking to RB Byron Louis - really nice looking player and seems like a great person. NOT UF related but great kid I enjoyed talking with.

Another great kid is Jaylen Willaims (Michigan Verbal) went out of his way to see how my day was going and touch base. Great looking player Michigan is getting.

I will be tied up from 8 am to about 3 pm on Thursday with the Rivals publishers convention. Staying one more night in Jax and heading back to Atlant on Friday after rush hour traffic. I have some thing to knock out and will be back on later this evening. I am going to try to catch up with Gelsey this evening.

If I went on only the most athletic looking player overall based off of today Hylton "Drake" Stubbs would be VERY hard to beat. You will be hard pressed to find anyone here as athletic as Drake! Somone is going to be VERY happy based on where he ends up signing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News