ADVERTISEMENT

RGG Megathread - 19 threads merged

Well that is who bama & I were discussing

His complaint was about the people who bring up race in every issue
That would be the black activists in this case, right?

So where does who you're referring to fit in this discussion about racial discrimination in Georgia voting?

Well that is who bama & I were discussing

His complaint was about the people who bring up race in every issue
That would be the black activists in this case, right?

So where does who you're referring to fit in this discussion about racial discrimination in Georgia voting?
Descendents of slave owners, I'd imagine and those who align with them ...

I don't know about that...

But I do know you appear to be in favor of keep a voting method that has been adjudicated racial discrimination isn't very high on your election integrity claims

Why?

So if a group asserts that a regulation or law is discriminatory its more important that we don't argue about it versus resolving the issue?

The voting method has been ruled racially discriminatory by a trump appointed judge

What are minorities supposed to do in your opinion?
Shut up about it because you don't like the arguing?

Whether you appreciate it or not...people that are/have been historically discriminated against are going to flex their rights as citizens....lawfully

If you want racism to lose....then you can start by even listening to BOTH sides of the argument.

I have and do listen to both sides.

This is about utilities. The districting should also be about utilities. This dead horse has been thoroughly beaten.

You complaining about when race is mentioned is a deflection from the actual issues

Remember when you told us the incarceration system was nothing like slavery :rolleyes:

In your opinion should we be "allowed" to mention race in this story?

Black Children Were Jailed for a Crime That Doesn’t Exist. Almost Nothing Happened to the Adults in Charge.
Judge Donna Scott Davenport oversees a juvenile justice system in Rutherford County, Tennessee, with a staggering history of jailing children. She said kids must face consequences, which rarely seem to apply to her or the other adults in charge.

by Meribah Knight, Nashville Public Radio, and Ken Armstrong, ProPublica
Oct. 8, 2021, 5 a.m. EDT

hope not ...
whistle.gif
suspect2.gif

@sadgator
I believe we found a Shime sock account. Always calling you out for not being a paid member. Oh and I'm good with my ON3 account.
What was the deal with Shime? I seem to remember him being an odd duck, always picking fights. He kind of disappeared when they took his mod status away from him. @shimesubparmember probably has some answers.

What was the deal with Shime? I seem to remember him being an odd duck, always picking fights. He kind of disappeared when they took his mod status away from him. @shimesubparmember probably has some answers.
I hope he comes up with some answers, if not, maybe Sad can.

You complaining about when race is mentioned is a deflection from the actual issues
Remember when you told us the incarceration system was nothing like slavery :rolleyes:
In your opinion should we be "allowed" to mention race in this story?
Black Children Were Jailed for a Crime That Doesn’t Exist. Almost Nothing Happened to the Adults in Charge.
MceyrWMltDaX.jpeg

I have and do listen to both sides.

This is about utilities. The districting should also be about utilities. This dead horse has been thoroughly beaten.

Guess the Georgia Supreme Court disagrees with your dead horse analogy...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-tentatively-blocks-georgia-161817121.html

Supreme Court tentatively blocks Georgia election method found to be racially discriminatory​

6qjytn.jpg

The Supreme Court on Friday blocked Georgia from using an election method that a judge found to be racially discriminatory, but the justices’ order left open the possibility that a lower court could reinstate it ahead of the November vote.

The justices’ unsigned order came in response to an emergency request filed earlier this week by a group of Black voters in Georgia. The request came as part of their challenge to the state’s “at-large” method for selecting members to Georgia’s Public Service Commission, which oversees the price of electricity and other utilities.

Under this approach, candidates for the Public Service Commission must reside in one of the five districts they are running to represent, yet voters from across Georgia may cast ballots for all five seats, a method that can make it more difficult for racial minorities to elect candidates of their choosing.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Steven Grimberg ruled that Georgia’s failure to use districts for electing commissioners illegally dilutes the vote of Black citizens in violation of the Voting Rights Act.

But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit last week voted 2-1 to halt Grimberg’s ruling. The appeals court deemed the ruling too close to the November election, when two of the commission’s five seats are up for a vote, which prompted the Georgia voters’ emergency request to the Supreme Court.

Nico Martinez, a lawyer with the firm Bartlit Beck who represents the plaintiffs, hailed the justices’ Friday ruling.

“We are pleased that the Supreme Court took this important step toward ensuring that this November’s [Public Service Commission] elections are not held using a method that unlawfully dilutes the votes of millions of Black citizens in Georgia,” Martinez said. “We look forward to presenting the merits of our case on appeal and are confident the district court’s well-reasoned decision will ultimately be upheld.”

An attorney for Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R), the named defendant in the case, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The justices’ ruling lifting the 11th Circuit’s stay may not be the final word on the matter, however. The Supreme Court returned the case to the intermediate appeals court and left the door open for the 11th Circuit court to apply a more rigorous legal analysis of Georgia officials’ stay request.

“The conservative 11th Circuit gets another crack at this under the traditional stay factors, and they could side with Georgia officials on this second bite at the apple,” Rick Hasen, a law professor at UCLA, wrote on the Election Law Blog.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT