ADVERTISEMENT

NSD and Beyond....

Each to his own, but I'd drop the criminoles just like UF dropped the scUM. Neither are of any importance to UF. The scUM were easily replace on our schedule, and so would the SoW be. UF also doesn't need to play USF, or UCF, or FAU, or FIU. Nothing of any importance would happen if none of them were on UF's schedule, as was proven when UF dumped the scUM buckets...

I'd let those All Cupcake Conf. teams continue to play each other for the so-called 'state' championship ring, since they have as yet been unable to meet in the ACC-C game.

The differences and the reasons for recruits to come to UF instead of some other school are based in the quality of the University of Florida. Those that want to be crims really should go there. Those that really want to be Gators are welcome in the ville if they can meet the standards.

Claims that anything negative would happen to UF if they didn't play the SoW are totally bogus imo. The SoW would be the recipient of any negativity from the loss of the game, just like the scUM thugs were, but not UF.

UF didn't need the scUM, and they certainly don't need the criminoles...
Case in point, they both beg and whine to be on UF's schedule, while many UF fans couldn't care less if both were replaced with quality opponents from elsewhere. (Tx-OK-Neb-USCw-Ore-tOSU-Mich-Clem-etc)

Not playing the scUM has certainly not hurt UF's recruiting in S.FL, or anything else to do with UF. Same would be true for the tallycrappy crims. o_O

If they really wanted to play UF every year, then they should have joined the SEC when given the chance. Instead, they want avoid injuries and warm up on a string of cupcakes while developing their game plans for playing UF. BS on that crap...

I would be fine with playing either occasionally in a bowl game, if/when things lined up that way. Otherwise, forget um... :cool:

Winning SEC titles is the ultimate goal, but beating FSU is equally important because they are our primary rival and it matters for recruiting. As a lifelong (65 years worth) Gator fan and alumni I would rather beat FSU and Georgia than any other teams on our schedule. Lots of history and lots of animosity with those 2 schools. I pull for them to lose every game they play in every sport. Can't help it. That's just the way I feel. I, also, agree with a prior poster - If Mac can get our offense in the Top 50 and keep the defense in the Top 20, we'll have a high degree of success. To improve the offense to make that leap from 105 (or wherever it's been the last several years) to 50 or better you need stability and quality at the QB position as well as an offensive line that can hold up against top tier defensive fronts. We're moving in the right direction, methinks.

Ocala............

Graduated from FSU as an undergrad in 1969, was drafted, went back to FSU for grad school and graduated in 73. Dressed in a 3 piece suit and a garnet and gold tie I watched the Noles beat the Gators 21-16 at Florida field in the middle of the Florida student section in 1967 and then go on to play Joe Paterno and Penn State 17-17 in the Gator Bowl! When the UF game ended a number of gator fans surrounded me and my roommate, Chuck (who stood 6'4", 230 and not an ounce of fat on him). When a guy grabbed my tie and tried to strangle me Chuck hit him as hard as he could in the jaw knocking him flying 3 rows away. It was a one punch knock out and he was out cold. Needless to say the crowd parted and we walked up the stairs and out of the stadium laughing all the way. I will never forget that scene as long as I live. WHAM...and it was over in an instant. And yes, I've been a Seminole fan for over 50 years and have decorative Seminole plates on the front of a couple of cars.

But...........Ocala I don't think I hate the Gators as much as you hate the Noles. I ocassionally root for the Gators if only to boost FSU's ranking and to have a better game at the end of the season. Good luck with Mac. Don't think he's your answer but good luck anyway. The guy you need is Saban. I am hoping for an Alabama/FSU match up in the NC this year. If so it will be the second time they play in one season. And it would be a proud moment to see a second ACC team beat Bama for the National Championship yet again. If you really want UF to have a big accomplishment at the end of the regular season you should pull for FSU in every one of their games. Beating an undefeated FSU at the end of the season.............now THAT would be something to brag about! Best of luck Ocala, enjoy the season.

Ocala............

Graduated from FSU as an undergrad in 1969, was drafted, went back to FSU for grad school and graduated in 73. Dressed in a 3 piece suit and a garnet and gold tie I watched the Noles beat the Gators 21-16 at Florida field in the middle of the Florida student section in 1967 and then go on to play Joe Paterno and Penn State 17-17 in the Gator Bowl! When the UF game ended a number of gator fans surrounded me and my roommate, Chuck (who stood 6'4", 230 and not an ounce of fat on him). When a guy grabbed my tie and tried to strangle me Chuck hit him as hard as he could in the jaw knocking him flying 3 rows away. It was a one punch knock out and he was out cold. Needless to say the crowd parted and we walked up the stairs and out of the stadium laughing all the way. I will never forget that scene as long as I live. WHAM...and it was over in an instant. And yes, I've been a Seminole fan for over 50 years and have decorative Seminole plates on the front of a couple of cars.

But...........Ocala I don't think I hate the Gators as much as you hate the Noles. I ocassionally root for the Gators if only to boost FSU's ranking and to have a better game at the end of the season. Good luck with Mac. Don't think he's your answer but good luck anyway. The guy you need is Saban. I am hoping for an Alabama/FSU match up in the NC this year. If so it will be the second time they play in one season. And it would be a proud moment to see a second ACC team beat Bama for the National Championship yet again. If you really want UF to have a big accomplishment at the end of the regular season you should pull for FSU in every one of their games. Beating an undefeated FSU at the end of the season.............now THAT would be something to brag about! Best of luck Ocala, enjoy the season.
I'm a '73 Gator grad. Parents both retired from UF, wife born in Gainesville, daughter an alumni and she & her husband both now work at UF. I, too, have a lot of memories, good and bad, but from the time I was 8 or 9 years old just could never bring myself to pull for FSU in any sport for any reason. One year they played Georgia in a bowl game and I didn't watch because I wanted them both to lose!! I've never gotten in a fight over any of it and don't condone that type of behavior. In fact, I have several close friends who are FSU grads and/or fans. They all know where I stand and we get along.

I'm a '73 Gator grad. Parents both retired from UF, wife born in Gainesville, daughter an alumni and she & her husband both now work at UF. I, too, have a lot of memories, good and bad, but from the time I was 8 or 9 years old just could never bring myself to pull for FSU in any sport for any reason. One year they played Georgia in a bowl game and I didn't watch because I wanted them both to lose!! I've never gotten in a fight over any of it and don't condone that type of behavior. In fact, I have several close friends who are FSU grads and/or fans. They all know where I stand and we get along.

Ocala.........

That's funny because you were an under grad when I was in grad school. Yeah, you and I have seen plenty of ups and downs over the years. My parents and I moved to Naples, Florida the year I graduated from HS in Missouri (1965), My dad said OK you can go to any school you like as long as it's in the State of Florida. Went to check out Miami.........too many NY license plates in the parking lot and the kids seemed fairly stuck up. Drove on to Gainesville........loved the campus, talked with several of the kids. Asked them what the male/female ratio was and they told me it was about 2 guys for every girl. Hummm, drove on to Tallahassee..........loved the campus, talked with a whole lot of the kids this time. Asked about the male/female ratio and they told me it was 3 to 1, girls over boys because it was once an all girls school and all those old grannies liked seeing their daughters and grand daughters going to FSU. Long story short, those were some of the best years of my life. Half of those girls were from out of state which made it all really fun and exciting. My Mom had given me a brand new muscle car for my HS graduation and I dated girls from all over the country. I would pull up in front of a sorority house, rev up the engine and girls would quite literally run out and jump in...........ahhh, I was in heaven. So you can imagine my fondness for my alma mater and why I went back to grad school on the government stipend. Now that FSU is a football national power house it's really a lot of fun but my oh my how things have changed! Tickets are now being scalped for hundreds and even thousands of dollars. In my day..........there were no tickets! All you had to do was show your student I.D. because the admission was covered by your paltry student activity fee. And people think Bobby Bowden started it all. Nope it was Bill Peterson when I was there and the highest national ranking I recall was #4 in the nation. We were all on cloud 9 when FSU tied Alabama led by Ken Stabler 37-37 in 1967 and Bear Bryant said, "That was the best prepared football team I've ever seen in my life." Anyway, bet you have some great stories too but when it comes to girls I'll match you tale for tail! Bwahahahahahahaha! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why is that so important? Why build up your hopes when it's not likely to happen. Shouldn't your main objective be to win the SEC East. Beating FSU in a year when they have a serious chance of playing in the playoffs is unlikely. And beating Bama in Atlanta...........well, those chances are about the same as beating FSU.in the swamp this year.
Even though I'm a fsu fan I agree with you if your building a team you need to keep your goals attainable there for keep building confidence

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT