ADVERTISEMENT

National Signing Day

I follow recruiting pretty closely, but I agree with your conclusion. We are behind other big time programs in facilities and we lost our recruiting edge under Muschamp & McElwain. I believe Mullen can and will get it back, but it takes time to rebuild relationships with high school coaches. Willie Taggert came to FSU AFTER Mullen and his class has moved from #36 to #12 right now, while we're at #16. They've closed on kids at the end much better than we have.

I don't think Rivals is updating the team rankings page. You have to click on the "Commitment List" link. FSU is currently #7:

https://floridastate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

UGA!?!?!

giphy.gif

We weren’t projected to get Barnes. He was a package deal with Ed Montilus. That ship sailed a few weeks back. We got Andrew Chatfield and missed on Noah Boykin is what has happened so far today.
From what I read, Barnes was committed to the McElwain staff and the transition time between the old and new staffs allowed North Carolina to make serious inroads. His Mom is a Tar Heel alum, but Barnes had a relationship with Martez Ivey and Jon Hevsey and until the last couple of weeks, most "experts" projected him as a Gator.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-william-barnes-ed-montilus

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-william-barnes-no-4

From what I read, Barnes was committed to the McElwain staff and the transition time between the old and new staffs allowed North Carolina to make serious inroads. His Mom is a Tar Heel alum, but Barnes had a relationship with Martez Ivey and Jon Hevsey and until the last couple of weeks, most "experts" projected him as a Gator.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-william-barnes-ed-montilus

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-william-barnes-no-4
Barnes never even officially visited Florida.

Reactions: ZZ1059 and 96FSU
Agree I thought Mullen was doing a good job and wasn't expecting a miracle but we haven't gotten one guy we were projected to get yet. And how we lost an elite lineman to UNC I have no idea.
Losing NPF and NB were big disappointments to me.

NPF was always headed to the Midwest.

Boykin is disappointing but the kid was never contacted by UF until after Mullen arrived.
Missing Boykin was tough. Everything else hasn't really been that surprising.

Last edited:
Barnes never even officially visited Florida.

Isn't that exactly the problem? I don't get the rationale of 'he was never coming here anyway!' paraphrased. That's the issue, we shouldn't be losing top recruits to schools like UNC for any reason

Isn't that exactly the problem? I don't get the rationale of 'he was never coming here anyway!' paraphrased. That's the issue, we shouldn't be losing top recruits to schools like UNC for any reason

Correct. And if we are next year it will be a big issue. Just not the time to overtake long standing relationships this year.

This has to be one of the most disappointing NSD in a long time for us. We started the early signing period with a bang and all the signs were there for a HUGE close. Then we sputtered. And to see our rivals like UGA and F$U soar just makes me sick.

Correct. And if we are next year it will be a big issue. Just not the time to overtake long standing relationships this year.

You obviously can't expect miracles in transition classes but like for example Barnes went to a UNC staff that might be fired next year over us when he was about to commit to McElwain, that makes no sense. Tannor is from Georgia and went to a Nebraska staff that started recruiting him the same time we did. We ended up finishing 3rd for Boykin even behind UVA. Those are all wtf decisions to me.

Don't be surprised in Copeland goes to Alabama. Bush signed with Georgia, Ross (#1 WR in Alabama) signed with Clemson a little while ago & Jamar Chase signed with LSU. With Jefferson, Grimes & Watkins our WR class is solid. But it would be another kick in the teeth if we lose Copeland to Bama.

But, there aren't even 10 quality recruits left on the board. I don't want any of those McElwain specials just to fill a roster.
Exactly so. We have three with LOIs. One more committed with an LOI due in about an hour. And rumors of another LOI coming in.

You obviously can't expect miracles in transition classes but like for example Barnes went to a UNC staff that might be fired next year over us when he was about to commit to McElwain, that makes no sense. Tannor is from Georgia and went to a Nebraska staff that started recruiting him the same time we did. We ended up finishing 3rd for Boykin even behind UVA. Those are all wtf decisions to me.

Look on the bright side Oozie, we aren’t Michigan. In year 4 of Harbaugh they will finish outside the top 20 and are hiring Shark****er as their offensive play caller. Could always be worse

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
247 Sports is still predicting us getting Copeland (73%), Gouraige (82%) and Langham (54%). If we get those 3 plus Dorian Gerald on Friday, that would be pretty decent.

Look on the bright side Oozie, we aren’t Michigan. In year 4 of Harbaugh they will finish outside the top 20 and are hiring Shark****er as their offensive play caller. Could always be worse

Hold up what??? Michigan is hiring McElwain?

LMAO wow! Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. That OC they hired from Arkansas left them after a few days.

LMAO wow! Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. That OC they hired from Arkansas left them after a few days.

Well he has no more positions to offer to recruits parents or high school coaches so he has hit a recruiting wall. If they lose 3 next year he won’t get it done their. He went all in to win early and now ita backfiring

(2/7/18)
Justin Watkins - WR - 4 Stars
Andrew Chatfield - DE/OLB - 4 Stars
Griffin McDowell - OC - 3 Star
WR Jacob Copeland - WR - 4 Stars

Verbal Commits

Richard Gouraige - OT - 4 Stars (2:30-2:45 PM)

Other Announcement Times of Interest

Caleb Tannor - DE/OLB - 4 Stars - Nebraska
Nicholas Petit-Frere OL - 5 Stars - tOSU
Nesta Silvera - DT - 4 Stars - Miami
Malcolm Lamar - DE - 4 Stars - FSU
Noah Boykin - CB - 4 Stars - ND
Fabien Lovett - DE - 3 Stars - Miss St.

Caleb Johnson - DE - 3 Stars - 2:30 PM ET
DE Malik Langham - DE - 4 Stars - 3:30 PM ET
Dorian Gerald - JUCO DE - 3 Stars - Announcing Friday.

Copeland to UF....and his mom to the exit! LOL, did ya'll see that?
I hope he signs and faxes in his LOI NOW before his Mom gets him home!! :)
I've seen situations in the past where a kid commits on national TV, then backs off and actually signs with another school.

4 Composite spots behind FSU, 3 less players and ours includes a K (#1 K in the country but hurta rating. Also to elite WR transfers. Its a wash, at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT