ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's lack of experience going into 2017

Harbaugh and Brown v Mac and Nuss.

Draw whatever conclusion you like

Andrew Hawken, former three-year starting fullback at Michigan State has been hired as the new OC at Michigan.

The Hard-blow + a FB/OC vs Mc and Shannon

Draw whatever conclusion you like... :D

Andrew Hawken, former three-year starting fullback at Michigan State has been hired as the new OC at Michigan.

The Hard-blow + a FB/OC vs Mc and Shannon

Draw whatever conclusion you like... :D

WTF are you taking about?

I had to screen shot this because you have no freaking clue what you are taliing about. If you are going to search for info because you don't know shit about what you are taking about, make sure you read the article.

You have outdone your own stupidity here

WTF are you taking about?
I had to screen shot this because you have no freaking clue what you are taliing about. If you are going to search for info because you don't know shit about what you are taking about, make sure you read the article.
You have outdone your own stupidity here

Well Michi, you see the trouble is that I don't really G-a-S who the coaches are at Big-Blow, so I didn't even click on the article, I just scanned the header and went with it. :cool:

However, I will admit to mildly enjoying seeing you run off in a total rant about what I'm posting, just because so many here claim to never read a single word of my posts (pants on fire), but they will all have a lengthy and detailed essay about how little I know, and how wrong I always am. It still amazes me that everyone of them don't have me on ignore and refuse to even acknowledge my existence... :rolleyes: (snicker)

Now, IF you have any GREAT solid information about who the meat-chickens OC is, and what possible difference it will make on game day, then post it, or just continue to rant at me while I sit back and laugh some more... :D

Everyone sees the irony in the above post? Yes?

Maybe they do,,, but I'm betting that nobody has any trouble in seeing what a useless flaming A-hole that you are and have always been. Especially any of the women that have ever been unfortunate enough to have been around you...

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

Maybe they do,,, but I'm betting that nobody has any trouble in seeing what a useless flaming A-hole that you are and have always been. Especially any of the women that have ever been unfortunate enough to have been around you...

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

And you would be wrong again.

It's like you don't even try to be right.

blockm2,

What do Michigan fans think of this matchup? Are many of them confident this will be a win for Michigan due to our problems on offense the past few years?

I think the realistic Michigan fans are looking forward to a good game with cautious optimism.

When Florida has the ball... While Michigan fans fear what they lost on D, the potential of the young guys that will play this season is crystal clear. I mean they were almost universally highly regarded recruits and they have gotten rave reviews in both limited time in games and in practice from coaches that aren't prone to hyperbole. Combine that with what we feel is the best DC in the game and it's hard to see much of a fall back on defense. Besides, if you could only have 1 thing to count on with a defense a dominant DL is what you'd want, well that's the most sure bet on the team. They will use a combination of a dominant front 4 combined with a blitz heavy scheme to cover up any other potential screw ups. The offense that will potentially scare this team is one with a veteran QB and OL that have played a lot together and can change up things on the fly and also protect that QB against pressure. I'm not sure Florida has that right now.

When Michigan has the ball.... It'll be a little up and down. The QB situation will be amongst the better ones in the country with a RS Junior returning starter that was pretty darn good before breaking his clavicle being pushed by a RS freshman that drew plenty of Andrew Luck comparisons, both being coached by someone that is probably the best in the country at developing pro style QBs. The running backs are deep and talented. The TEs are really good. The WRs are really good, but no matter how great the freshmen will end up being (and several could be elite down the road) it's tough throwing the ball to freshmen. OL is the question mark. It wasn't great last year and while the talent level is improving, it'll also be a bunch of young guys that figure to be better later in the season compared to season opener. What does that all mean? Florida will likely have a heck of a defense and that's not what you want to face with an iffy OL. The QB and skill players have enough talent to still score some points, but so many new faces seems like a recipe for miscommunication and a TO at the wrong time.

Special teams? We know the Gators have great kicking and punting and hope we will have the same, though will be relying on some untested sophomore and freshman to actually do it. Michigan's biggest plus in special teams was the uncanny knack they showed for blocking punts from spread formations last year. They blocked 7 to rank 2nd nationally and nearly blocked about 5 or 10 more. They kinda feel they cracked the code to beating the shield punt formation (spread) so much that they stopped doing it themselves and went back to pro style punt formation (see first 2 punts in video...)

Hold a gun to my head and I'd probably pick Michigan 17-14 or 14-10 or something similar. I think it's hard to make an argument that either offense will score a lot. Michigan fans look at the coaching matchup and think it favors us, but I wouldn't belittle a Florida fan that saw their team having the slight edge. I think overall there are enough unknowns about both teams that it's hard to expect a major edge to either.

I think the realistic Michigan fans are looking forward to a good game with cautious optimism.

When Florida has the ball... While Michigan fans fear what they lost on D, the potential of the young guys that will play this season is crystal clear. I mean they were almost universally highly regarded recruits and they have gotten rave reviews in both limited time in games and in practice from coaches that aren't prone to hyperbole. Combine that with what we feel is the best DC in the game and it's hard to see much of a fall back on defense. Besides, if you could only have 1 thing to count on with a defense a dominant DL is what you'd want, well that's the most sure bet on the team. They will use a combination of a dominant front 4 combined with a blitz heavy scheme to cover up any other potential screw ups. The offense that will potentially scare this team is one with a veteran QB and OL that have played a lot together and can change up things on the fly and also protect that QB against pressure. I'm not sure Florida has that right now.

When Michigan has the ball.... It'll be a little up and down. The QB situation will be amongst the better ones in the country with a RS Junior returning starter that was pretty darn good before breaking his clavicle being pushed by a RS freshman that drew plenty of Andrew Luck comparisons, both being coached by someone that is probably the best in the country at developing pro style QBs. The running backs are deep and talented. The TEs are really good. The WRs are really good, but no matter how great the freshmen will end up being (and several could be elite down the road) it's tough throwing the ball to freshmen. OL is the question mark. It wasn't great last year and while the talent level is improving, it'll also be a bunch of young guys that figure to be better later in the season compared to season opener. What does that all mean? Florida will likely have a heck of a defense and that's not what you want to face with an iffy OL. The QB and skill players have enough talent to still score some points, but so many new faces seems like a recipe for miscommunication and a TO at the wrong time.

Special teams? We know the Gators have great kicking and punting and hope we will have the same, though will be relying on some untested sophomore and freshman to actually do it. Michigan's biggest plus in special teams was the uncanny knack they showed for blocking punts from spread formations last year. They blocked 7 to rank 2nd nationally and nearly blocked about 5 or 10 more. They kinda feel they cracked the code to beating the shield punt formation (spread) so much that they stopped doing it themselves and went back to pro style punt formation (see first 2 punts in video...)

Hold a gun to my head and I'd probably pick Michigan 17-14 or 14-10 or something similar. I think it's hard to make an argument that either offense will score a lot. Michigan fans look at the coaching matchup and think it favors us, but I wouldn't belittle a Florida fan that saw their team having the slight edge. I think overall there are enough unknowns about both teams that it's hard to expect a major edge to either.

Well Brown is a little prone to big talk but he has had some really good defenses with that attacking style of his. I am not sure if we will be able to take advantage of a somewhat inexperienced secondary or not in this game. Our offense looks like it should be better on paper but we still have a big question mark at QB. That tandem of Hurst and Gary could cause us some major issues besides the blitzing. I think our tackles will be much better this season. If Zaire does start for us we are going to have to hope his mobility is able to get us a few big plays when Michigan is blitzing.

As far as our Defense we probably aren't going to be as good at the DT positions but we do have some good DEs who should be able to pressure the QB a lot. We just have to hope Michigan can't establish a strong running game right up the gut on us.

Everyone sees the irony in the above post? Yes?

same exact thing with fsu when I posted my own experience citing others knowledge on pot reasonably and all the benefits it indeed does have, he ZZZZ's my post yet expects me and us all to read his endless pasted articles from a trillion dollar industry falsely burying an herb that anyone can grow in their back yard to solve all their small health issues or headaches and their lies keep leading people not knowledgeable about it trying to tell the millions that have used it what they pretend to know somehow from straight liars...

As far as our Defense we probably aren't going to be as good at the DT positions but we do have some good DEs who should be able to pressure the QB a lot. We just have to hope Michigan can't establish a strong running game right up the gut on us.

RT is Michigan's biggest single positional concern entering the season. Would've been fine if LT Grant Newsome didn't nearly have his leg amputated last season after a gruesome knee injury against Wisconsin when a CB went low on him that forced a bunch of shuffling. As it stands, Mason Cole will be a 4 year starter at LT (2 years at LT, 1 at center) so he will probably be just fine. But RT? God only knows who starts there as it will be a 3 or 4 man competition in August. Whoever wins will not give me warm fuzzy feelings about facing an elite pass rusher. Only saving grace is they can occasionally plant Ty Wheatley at TE next to them as a tackle sized TE that is a physical marvel.

RT is Michigan's biggest single positional concern entering the season. Would've been fine if LT Grant Newsome didn't nearly have his leg amputated last season after a gruesome knee injury against Wisconsin when a CB went low on him that forced a bunch of shuffling. As it stands, Mason Cole will be a 4 year starter at LT (2 years at LT, 1 at center) so he will probably be just fine. But RT? God only knows who starts there as it will be a 3 or 4 man competition in August. Whoever wins will not give me warm fuzzy feelings about facing an elite pass rusher. Only saving grace is they can occasionally plant Ty Wheatley at TE next to them as a tackle sized TE that is a physical marvel.

The Gator DL will be a strength, not a weakness imoho.

DT's listed by weight,,, where's the beef?
56. Tedarrell Slaton 6-4 349 Fr - Ft Lauderdale
55. Kyree Campbell 6-3 323 Fr - Woodbridge, VA

54. Khairi Clark 6-2 319 rsJr - Hollywood - starter
57. Elijah Conliffe 6-4 312 Fr - Hampton, VA
93. Taven Bryan 6-5 300 rsJr - Casper, Wyo - starter
68. Richerd Desir-Jones 6-4 292 - Ft Lauderdale (OL)
---
Combo DT/DE's
99. Jachai Polite 6-2 271 So - Daytona Beach
94. Zachary Carter 6-3 263 Fr - Tampa (#3 DE)
98. Luke Ancrum 6-5 262 rsSo - Sebring
96. CeCe Jefferson 6-1 261 Jr - Glen St. Mary (#2 DE) - starter
---
DE's
17. Jordan Sherit 6-4 254 rsSr - Tampa - starter
95. Keivonnis Davis 6-4 250 Jr - Miami
90. Antonneous Clayton 6-3 250 So - Vienna, GA (#2 DE)
92. Jabari Zuniga 6-3 245 rsSo - Marietta, GA (Fr All SEC & Fr AA)

42. Jordan Smith 6-5 240 rsFr - Lithonia, GA

At SEC Media-Daze, some were saying that UF might have the best OL in the SEC for 2017, certainly in the Top 3.
All SEC LT Martez Ivey Jr named to Outland Trophy Watch List.
All SEC, Fr AA RT Jawaan Taylor rsSo 6-5 340 is a road grader.
OC T.J. McCoy rsSo is on the Rimington Award Watch List.
With excellent size and depth at the OG positions.

QB is the only question, to be determined during August, 6 on roster.
And while that's a big question, they have already proven that they can win 10 games a year and the SECe without having much of a QB...

P Johnny Townsend rsSr is on the 2017 Guy Award Watch List.
With 29 punts of 50+ yards and 27 punts inside the 20 yard line, he was 1st Team All-SEC in 2016.
In 2016 he led the Nation with a 47.9 yards per punt average.
Going into his final year, he has a Career 45.1 yard average with 63 punts of 50+ yards. :eek:

K Eddy Pinero rsJr is on the 2017 Groza Award Watch List.
In 2016 he was named a 2nd Team All SEC going 21 of 25 for 84%.
He made 11 field goals of 40-plus yards, including 2 of 40+ in the Outback Bowl vs Iowa.
He was also 3 of 3 on 50+ yard FG's, making 2 at 54 yards.
* Eddy has since kicked an 81 yard FG in full pads at practice. :eek:

Come game day, we'll all get to see if any of that matters or not... :cool:

Last edited:
I said it was a strength, not a weakness. Not sure why you felt the need to cut and paste a roster into a post agreeing with me.
And does everyone posting to this thread agree with you concerning the Gator's DL?

And instead of just spouting off with nothing but another unqualified opinion, I like to sometimes give some factual reasons for my opinions, unlike the always clueless dunny-goaters of the world...

As to the rest of the drivel,,,, zzzzzzzzzz as boring as usual....

Last edited:
And does everyone posting to this thread agree with you concerning the Gator's DL?

And instead of just spouting off with nothing by another unqualified opinion, I like to sometimes give some factual reasons for my opinions, unlike the always clueless dunny-goaters of the world...

As to the rest of the drivel,,,, zzzzzzzzzz as boring as usual....

hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Mad-Dog butt-buddy jerk arrives to add to the stunning bore...
zzz

Last edited:
Some 2017 Newbees Comparisons - #4 UM (30) vs #9 UF (23)
BTW, which 5 Mich recruits won't actually make it on the 2017 ship roster?
UF has 22 in class already, with only 1 still waiting for his final NCAA clearance.

UM DT Aubrey Solomon 6-4 287
UM DT Donovan Jeter 6-5 255
OR
UF DT Tedarrell Slaton 6-5 349
UF DT Kyree Campbell 6-4 323
===

UM DE Luiji Vilian 6-4 240
UM DE James Hudson 6-5 271
OR
DE Zachary Carter 6-4 250
DE/DT Elijah Conliffe 6-4 312
===

UM LB Jordan Anthony 6-1 220
UM LB Drew Singleton 6-2 218
OR
UF LB James Houston IV 6-1 233
UF LB Ventrell Miller 5-11 222
===

UM WR Tarik Black 6-4 206
UM WR D. Peoples-Jones 6-2 190
OR
UF WR James Robinson - 6-4 205
UF WR Daquon Green - 6-1 187
===

UM RB O'maury Samuels 5-10 190
UM RB Kurt Taylor 5-9 201
OR
RB Adarius Lemons 6-0 200
RB Malik Davis 5-11 195

Interesting to see IF, or how many of the newbees get to play in that 1st game of 2017?

PS -- IF that's cut & paste, instead of just the usual FoS lies, then link to where it was cut from.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a Michigan fan who isn't over-confident about every game. Its just their MO
Funny I recall the past 3 times these teams have played that gator nation didn't give Michigan an ounce of a chance. You may want to think some before hitting the keys. As far as this game like any other any team can win once they step between the white lines. Both of these teams are very young. They both have a lot of players to replace on defense. They both have key players to replace on offense. Which ever team relaxes the quickest under the big top of Jerry World.... The team that has the most players rise to the occasion 99% sure they win.

Funny I recall the past 3 times these teams have played that gator nation didn't give Michigan an ounce of a chance. You may want to think some before hitting the keys. As far as this game like any other any team can win once they step between the white lines.

Both of these teams are very young.

They both have a lot of players to replace on defense.
They both have key players to replace on offense.

Which ever team relaxes the quickest under the big top of Jerry World.... The team that has the most players rise to the occasion 99% sure they win.

Always True.

Not really.
The Gator roster has 65 redshirt players for 2017.

Somewhat True maybe. But UF also has a lot of upperclassmen with playing experience on defense that have waited their turn to be the new starters.
-----
Four of the 5 starters on the OL return.
WR returns 90% from 2016, and all of the TE and RB starters.
QB is the only real question, and they have 8 (including the 2 W-O's) to choose a starter from. They have a rsJr that was the 2016 starter, and a Grad-Sr that started at ND. -- The 2 rsFr QBs were both EE's, so they have been at UF for quite a while now.
And while it's an obvious stretch, I like the two tFr QB's as a combination, better than the rsJr and Grad-Sr as a combo, but that's just me.... ;)

As to the 'relaxation' factor: The Gators team wide experience, including Guy/Gorza Watch List Special Teamers should give the Gators the advantage.

We'll see soon enough. ;)

Last edited:
Funny I recall the past 3 times these teams have played that gator nation didn't give Michigan an ounce of a chance. You may want to think some before hitting the keys. As far as this game like any other any team can win once they step between the white lines. Both of these teams are very young. They both have a lot of players to replace on defense. They both have key players to replace on offense. Which ever team relaxes the quickest under the big top of Jerry World.... The team that has the most players rise to the occasion 99% sure they win.

Florida is replacing no key players on offense.

Wait...where... who? What Gator didn't give Michigan a chance the past 3 times we played.

The first time was under Zook. We gave anyone in D1 football the benefit of the doubt they could beat a Zook led UF team.

The year between Meyer's championship. Tebow's Heisman year? We knew we could score on anyone with our offense.....however we knew anyone could score on our defense. Joe Haden was just a freshman and Wondy Pierre-Louis was our other CB. Who? Yeah....

The third time we played....we had like a 110 ranked offense...Treon Harris at QB...and a cluster **** of other happenings.... nobody was confident going into that game either.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Careful TG, you'll just confuse that meatchicken fan if you use too many facts on him... :D

Mich has something in common (other than the UM) with the scUM thugs of Mi-Am-I. That's in playing the Gators in what most Gator fans would consider our off-seasons, when there were multiple problems with either coaching, or injuries/players, or both.

While FSU, tOSU, and Okla found out what happens when they play the Gators in one of their better years.... ;)

However, this time around, unless there are unexpected disasters in Fall practice, I don't see the Gators having any real excuses if they lose to the Hardblow's meatchickens... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator

It will probably be a close hard fought game. I don't see either side having a debacle like we had in that bowl game. You know that isn't true about not having a chance. My guess is all those games had pretty close betting lines.

we won't have to worry about a bunch of draft picks sandbagging in the first game in the season, especially while they all are already being doubted much less high picks, chip on shoulder effort on both sides of the ball... for the first time since the LSU game

I wonder if the big-blows realize that Eddy can score anytime they cross mid-field, and maybe even before they cross mid-field? :eek:

And do they understand 'flipping the field' or being pinned deep, because Johnny led the Nation in 2016 with his 47.9 yds/punt average.
In 2016, he had 29 punts of 50+ yards, L-62 yds, with 27 punts downed inside the 20 yard line… o_O

“I don’t think Zaire has any chance of the being quarterback there,” Luginbill said. “I am shocked by that move. I don’t understand it. It’s not an easy offense to learn in three weeks.”

The one offense in the country that's so difficult none of our players can learn it, but every defensive coordinator can pick it up after 4 days of watching film. Seems legit.
The play calling was so predictable last year that fat Dooley said most of the reporters in the press box could accurately predict the call on most downs

The play calling was so predictable last year that fat Dooley said most of the reporters in the press box could accurately predict the call on most downs

Yea Nuss strikes me as one of those coaches who doesn't take accountability for much. I don't have any proof of that, just a gut feel I get. Whenever the offense doesn't work it isn't him, it's just those damn players can't pick up or execute the genius play calls. Here's to hoping for better days.

And do they understand 'flipping the field' or being pinned deep, because Johnny led the Nation in 2016 with his 47.9 yds/punt average.
In 2016, he had 29 punts of 50+ yards, L-62 yds, with 27 punts downed inside the 20 yard line… o_O

In 2016, Michigan ranked #11 nationally in opponents having the lowest gross punting average per attempt at 38.4 yards/punt, mostly because teams were terrified of getting their punts blocked and/or terrified of getting them returned (ranked 8th best in yards per punt return at 14.3 yard average).

Michigan's special teams are very hard to punt against.

In 2016, Michigan ranked #11 nationally in opponents having the lowest gross punting average per attempt at 38.4 yards/punt, mostly because teams were terrified of getting their punts blocked and/or terrified of getting them returned (ranked 8th best in yards per punt return at 14.3 yard average).

Michigan's special teams are very hard to punt against.

We have months to study the mess you are trying to pull.

We have months to study the mess you are trying to pull.

and Michigan has months to figure out the Gators favored protection schemes and study what the punter tends to do under various pressure scenarios.

I respect Florida has a great punter. I'm just pleased that for the first time in decades Michigan has a serious commitment to excellence in all phases of the game including special teams. Unfortunately they also drew some roughing the punter penalties, a few deserved and a few that were horrendous calls.

When Michigan punts vs UF, it'll likely be a true freshman doing the punting so fingers will be crossed. But the kid was the best HS punter in the country last season and routinely knocked out 5+ sec hang times in kicking camps so hopefully that will translate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT