ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Trask as the Gator's Don Strock

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Actually Trask was the one warming up on the sidelines at the start of 2nd half in Miami game. Word is EJ did not perform so great latter part of training camp.

Eye of the beholder, take it for what it's worth..

SwampLander,

Didn't see that, but if true would be interesting to see how that would play out in a game situation.

No reason to think that Trask hasn't benefited from 9 months of spring & fall workouts & improved himself.

2019 Blue Team Stats
Kyle Trask..............11-16-1.....209 yds....2 td...54 long...1 sack
Emory Jones...........6-13-1.....117 yds.... 2 td...35 long...2 sack

Perhaps Trask can be the Gator's equivalent of Don Strock, the 16 yr NFL vet who backed up Dolphins' QBs Bob Griese, Dan Marino, & David Woodly.

Strock's finest moment was "The Epic in Miami" in which he took over for Woodly after Miami was down 24-0 by the end of the 1st qtr. Dolphins lost 41–38, in overtime, but Strock had a great game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Strock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Just a thought, if Franks leaves after this year, I for one, hope / pray that Trask sticks around so that EJ & Richardson are NOT our only 2 options at QB.

Remember, QB transfers have NEVER worked out for Gators !

Other than Oklahoma, QB transfers have NOT worked out so well for many other teams either !

Last edited:
Just a thought, if Franks leaves after this year, I for one, hope / pray that Trask sticks around so that EJ & Richardson are NOT our only 2 options at QB.

Remember, QB transfers have NEVER worked out for Gators !

Leaves? It would have to be because he lost his job unless the NFL drafted him just on his physical traits at the end of the draft like Driskel.

If KY somehow shocked us again Franks would be on the shortest of leashes and Jones would be the starter possibly down the road and I think would be better than Franks by the end of the year with a few games under his belt. I doubt Trask could ever be more than a short term stop-gap at QB.

Leaves? It would have to be because he lost his job unless the NFL drafted him just on his physical traits at the end of the draft like Driskel.

If KY somehow shocked us again Franks would be on the shortest of leashes and Jones would be the starter possibly down the road and I think would be better than Franks by the end of the year with a few games under his belt. I doubt Trask could ever be more than a short term stop-gap at QB.

Fever,
agree in some respects - but
1. Driskel happened and he is still playing in NFL
2. Do injuries ever happen ?
3. Its called insurance ! Would you rather have Trask as a stop-gap or Tate Martell ?

Fever,
3. Its called insurance ! Would you rather have Trask as a stop-gap or Tate Martell ?

Trask is what he is but I think Mullen would have Jones in there in short order if an injury or something else happened.

And Driskel showed nothing when he played. Cincy only picked him up when SF cut him his first camp due to his physical traits. If Franks was 6"2" an NFL team wouldn't dream of taking him even in the 7th round. He has the 2nd best WR crew in the SEC but we will probably end up in the bottom half in passing again because Franks can only hit the bomb occasionally and needs someone wide open usually on the intermediate stuff. His stats say he is one of the worst Power 5 QBs in college football when not throwing dump offs within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Momma always said; Stupid is as stupid yaps...
(fevered brain being a prime example) o_O

QB Jeff Driskel 6-4 235 - Draft S.F., currently Cincy

UF - 3,411 yds, 59%, 23 TD's, 20 Ints. (coaching and receivers sucked) :cool:

LaTech - 4,026 yds, 62%, 27 TD's, 8 Ints as a 1 year Grad-Sr starter. :eek:
(shows what quality coaching and competent receivers can do for a QB)

College Combined - 7,437 yds, 50 TD's, 28 Ints.

NFL - 1,003 yds, 60%, 6 TD's, 2 Int's as the Bengals Backup behind Andy Dalton.
-----

Jones is a package/project for now. Another year away at least before starter quality.

PS -- Quality recruiting ended 2 day ago, right fever??? . :rolleyes:

Momma always said; Stupid is as stupid yaps...
(fevered brain being a prime example) o_O

QB Jeff Driskel 6-4 235 - Draft S.F., currently Cincy

UF - 3,411 yds, 59%, 23 TD's, 20 Ints. (coaching and receivers sucked) :cool:

LaTech - 4,026 yds, 62%, 27 TD's, 8 Ints as a 1 year Grad-Sr starter. :eek:
(shows what quality coaching and competent receivers can do for a QB)

College Combined - 7,437 yds, 50 TD's, 28 Ints.

NFL - 1,003 yds, 60%, 6 TD's, 2 Int's as the Bengals Backup behind Andy Dalton.
-----

Jones is a package/project for now. Another year away at least before starter quality.

PS -- Quality recruiting ended 2 day ago, right fever??? . :rolleyes:

lol Driskel couldn't push the ball down the field in the NFL. Why they were talking a possible position change.

Fever,

Like I said Driskel wouldn't have played one down if not for Cincy liking his physical traits and not going after other QBs. The new people in charge know he cant push the ball down the field and were even talking possible position change for him. Not sure what they are doing with him now.

Martell in this system.

Trask is what he is but I think Mullen would have Jones in there in short order if an injury or something else happened.

And Driskel showed nothing when he played. Cincy only picked him up when SF cut him his first camp due to his physical traits. If Franks was 6"2" an NFL team wouldn't dream of taking him even in the 7th round. He has the 2nd best WR crew in the SEC but we will probably end up in the bottom half in passing again because Franks can only hit the bomb occasionally and needs someone wide open usually on the intermediate stuff. His stats say he is one of the worst Power 5 QBs in college football when not throwing dump offs within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
Franks did sign a contract with Boston Red Sox this past summer so if he were to leave after this season, I believe he passes up the NFL(not that I believe he will be a QB in the NFL) for MLB.

lol Driskel couldn't push the ball down the field in the NFL. Why they were talking a possible position change.

We are talking about the Cincy Bungles here aren't we?
Maybe it's more than just the QB, Dalton or Driskel... :oops:

LaTech - 4,026 yds, 62%, 27 TD's, 8 Ints -- Grad-Sr season. o_O

NFL - 1,003 yds, 60%, 6 TD's, 2 Int's
Not bad stats for a rookie going in cold without the starter's reps. :cool:

Jus-Damn, I'm surprised that they haven't fired him already... :rolleyes:

Other than Oklahoma, QB transfers have NOT working out so well for many other teams either !
Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, Shea Patterson, and Joe Burrow had good weekends. Quentin Dormardy in a lower level seemed to good with Mc this past weekend and well. Brandon Wimbush, Brady White in the AAC.

Former Gator QBs started for other teams and made the league. Cam won a title, Heisman, and was the #1 draft pick. Jacoby Brissett, Jeff Driskel, Tyler Murphy, and Will Grier all found success.

Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, Jake Coker, Ryan Mallett, Riley Ferguson, Nick Marshall, Nick Foles, Clint Trickett,all seemed to benefit as transfers.

Those are some just off the top of my head. Wasn't Mettenberger from LSU originally a UGA QB? Russell freaking Wilson.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
I still wonder to this day why Muschamp was so he'll hell bent on Driskel playing for so long with all his mistakes.

Mullen may lean to experience but will make a change when it's staring him in the face at least.

I still wonder to this day why Muschamp was so he'll hell bent on Driskel playing for so long with all his mistakes.

Mullen may lean to experience but will make a change when it's staring him in the face at least.
While changing QB's somewhat added a spark, it didn't change the fact that not only did he have horrible OC's, Muschamp was horrible at managing the team, period.
Would you want to work for Muschamp?

Reactions: Gator Fever
Justin Fields, Jacob Eason, Shea Patterson, and Joe Burrow had good weekends. Quentin Dormardy in a lower level seemed to good with Mc this past weekend and well. Brandon Wimbush, Brady White in the AAC.

Former Gator QBs started for other teams and made the league. Cam won a title, Heisman, and was the #1 draft pick. Jacoby Brissett, Jeff Driskel, Tyler Murphy, and Will Grier all found success.

Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, Jake Coker, Ryan Mallett, Riley Ferguson, Nick Marshall, Nick Foles, Clint Trickett,all seemed to benefit as transfers.

Those are some just off the top of my head. Wasn't Mettenberger from LSU originally a UGA QB? Russell freaking Wilson.

Tennessee,

Forced to agree - somewhat
Fields - statistically a good game; but 1 game does not make a season; his opponent was a rent-a victim - Florida Atlantic ;
Brandon Wimbush - 1 game

Even though Joe Burrow & some of the others have had good seasons/careers at their transfer locations, none of them transferred to Univ Florida.

I stand by my original statement - Gators have never had a good (or even decent) QB transfer into the program !

Trask is insurance; a metric to judge the other QBs by; they will have to outplay him to start. If they don't, more power to him !

Franks did sign a contract with Boston Red Sox this past summer so if he were to leave after this season, I believe he passes up the NFL(not that I believe he will be a QB in the NFL) for MLB.

gatordad3,

Thank you, you are better organized than me !

Franks already got a $40K signing bonus if he leaves UF for Red Sox, he will be well paid. If he sticks in MLB, he will have a longer career.

Reactions: gatordad3
But of course, that won't keep some village idiots from running their ignorant mouths... :cool:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am grateful to the posters on this board who measure their intellect by their prodigious number of posts and the pearls of wisdom they have so freely dispensed to us !

I am also grateful for their amazing displays of consistency !

Their definition of anyone who doesn't agree with them is always so insightful !

Their inability to hold a logical discourse and buttress their claims with facts is absolute &
should be treasured !

Franks was drafted down in the 30-40 round area. Doubt he signed a contract, and if he did it would be for pennies and no signing bonus. He doesn't even play college baseball. If he had pro talent you know he would be out there in the spring.

Franks was drafted down in the 30-40 round area. Doubt he signed a contract, and if he did it would be for pennies and no signing bonus. He doesn't even play college baseball. If he had pro talent you know he would be out there in the spring.

Lizard Grad,

Perhaps you should do your homework before you post !

This is from Sports Illustrated - but its not the swimsuit edition so it has words; not pictures.

"...The Red Sox announced the signing of five players in advance of Friday's deadline including Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks, who will be assigned to an affiliate team at a later date.

Franks signed with Boston for $40,000, according to the Boston Globe, after being selected by Boston in the 31st round (No. 947 overall) of last month's MLB draft despite not playing baseball for the Gators this season. Franks played baseball at Crawfordville’s Wakulla High and was rated the 500th player in the country prior to his senior season, according to Perfect Game."

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/12/red-sox-sign-florida-qb-feleipe-franks

Lizard Grad,

Perhaps you should do your homework before you post !

This is from Sports Illustrated - but its not the swimsuit edition so it has words; not pictures.

"...The Red Sox announced the signing of five players in advance of Friday's deadline including Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks, who will be assigned to an affiliate team at a later date.

Franks signed with Boston for $40,000, according to the Boston Globe, after being selected by Boston in the 31st round (No. 947 overall) of last month's MLB draft despite not playing baseball for the Gators this season. Franks played baseball at Crawfordville’s Wakulla High and was rated the 500th player in the country prior to his senior season, according to Perfect Game."

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/07/12/red-sox-sign-florida-qb-feleipe-franks

So the concept of "and if he did it would be for pennies and no signing bonus" just went right past you, I take it. So, no, I didn't bother to "research" something SO VERY UNIMPORTANT AND TRIVIAL.

He will NEVER play baseball, If he wanted to play baseball, he would be on the UF baseball team. Or, maybe he ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH to be on the UF baseball team.

Long story short, blow it out your ass.

Tennessee,

Forced to agree - somewhat
Fields - statistically a good game; but 1 game does not make a season; his opponent was a rent-a victim - Florida Atlantic ;
Brandon Wimbush - 1 game

Even though Joe Burrow & some of the others have had good seasons/careers at their transfer locations, none of them transferred to Univ Florida.

I stand by my original statement - Gators have never had a good (or even decent) QB transfer into the program !

Trask is insurance; a metric to judge the other QBs by; they will have to outplay him to start. If they don't, more power to him !

gatordad3,

Thank you, you are better organized than me !

Franks already got a $40K signing bonus if he leaves UF for Red Sox, he will be well paid. If he sticks in MLB, he will have a longer career.
I'm not wanting a transfer QB... I'm just pointing out other transfers have had success at other schools than just Oklahoma.

I'm not wanting a transfer QB... I'm just pointing out other transfers have had success at other schools than just Oklahoma.

Tennessee,

after looking at your post & refreshing my memory on some of them I agree with you that schools other than Oklahoma have had success with transfer QBs.

But still can't think of a single QB transfer at UF that has worked out.

Just some general comments on the recent past and the near future.
With the return to game week preparations....

Florida missed 20 tackles, somewhat mitigated by their 10 sacks.
The plague of penalties needs to end now. Details! o_O
Start Shawn Davis at safety, and hope that Brad Stewart can.... :rolleyes:

Franks had decent stats, but also had 3-4 turnovers and he ignored/missed open receivers all though the game. Needs to find the open man and make accurate throws. Plus leave his ass covered for a change, instead of showing it.... :cool:

Toney only had 4 of the 50'something offensive plays. :eek:
More plays, and with more Toney please.

Trask and Jones both need to play a quarter in the UT-Martin game.
Many of the younger and/or backup players also need significant playing time. It's time to tune up the depth for the start of the SEC season. o_O

Perine 42 yards on 10 carries, 4.2 ypc :)

Team 10 yards on 18 carries, .56 ypc :(
Find the problems. Work on the solutions...

The best area vs Mia was
(as I expected) the S-T's performance.
Punter A+, including a successful fake punt 1st down and 0 return yds.
Kicker A+, 100%, also with deep kickoffs, mostly touch-backs.
Long Snapper A+, 100% good snaps
Gunners A+, including a recovered muffed punt in the red zone.
Kick Returners A+, no mistakes.....

GooooooooooGATORS!

""...No reason to think that Trask hasn't benefited from 9 months of spring & fall workouts & improved himself.

2019 Blue Team Stats
Kyle Trask..............11-16-1.....209 yds....2 td...54 long...1 sack
Emory Jones...........6-13-1.....117 yds.... 2 td...35 long...2 sack

Perhaps Trask can be the Gator's equivalent of Don Strock, the 16 yr NFL vet who backed up Dolphins' QBs Bob Griese, Dan Marino, & David Woodly."

I wrote these thoughts a week or so ago, & they have come to reality.

Franks injured & Trask, the Gators' Don Strock comes in & saves the day !
Gators 29 - Cats 21

Trask - 9 of 13 for 126 yds; runs for a TD; player of the game !

Last edited:
Going forward -

Franks apparently out for the season.

"...Mullen commented on his quarterback room following the injury. "

"I think we have three starting quarterbacks in our room, guys that work and prepare to be ready to go. Kyle was waiting for his moment," Mullen said. "We think he’s a starter just like Feleipe is. He played that way. There was never a doubt when he came in that he could do the job. Heck of a job by him."

https://247sports.com/college/flori...iss-season-Florida-Gators-Football-135637754/

"...Redshirt junior Kyle Trask came in for Franks in the fourth quarter and drove the team for three fourth-quarter touchdowns after trailing 21-10, to win the contest 29-21."
https://247sports.com/college/flori...vival-type-game-for-UF-vs-Kentucky-135640187/

Let’s stop the facade that our oline can run block . Let’s just play pitch and catch ... 40 times a game . Pass to set up the run . Heck it worked 20-25 years ago . And have Mullen keep the visor ..

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Guys like this one are worth their weight in GOLD. :)
https://floridagators.com/news/2019...k-buchanan-makes-most-of-position-switch.aspx

But until and unless Trask ever gets a real game opportunity,,,, nobody knows. o_O

But of course, that won't keep some village idiots from running their ignorant mouths...
:cool:

You tell em insta:)

mail

mail

It's been 24 hours, Insta still hasn't stopped masturbating.
Only because the dunnygoater cried that he was hungry... :cool:

Pitiful little attention beggar,
kinda sad really, but here ya go,,, yet again.
Here to foul up yet another thread with his always village idiot smelly crap.
BothTotally Clueless and Boring is any ugly combination.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Pitiful little attention beggar, kinda sad really, but here ya go,,, yet again.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Deliver or shut up.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Kash Daniels is not only a dirty prick thug player, he's also a cowardly liar about his actions.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...sh-Daniel-twisted-Kyle-Trasks-ankle-135801680

==========

From Le-bow to Tra-ones. I'm good with that if it pans out gold and not iron pyrites.... :cool:

Why go to a 2 QB system now?
Because a 'team player' will accept it and go with it a lot better than a 'me 1st' guy.... :oops:

Here are 3 more guys (W-O's) that I'd get ready to go at QB.
2 are Demps/Rainey kinds of little guys, but play QB.
The other is a 4th year rsJr W-O at UF.

QB Nick Sproles 6-2 211 rsJr -- Winter Park HS
HS Sr -- 144 of 226, 63.7% for 2,006 yds, 15 TD's, 4 Ints + 4 rushing TD's.
HS Jr -- 85 of 150, 56.6% for 1,060 yds, 10 TD's + 3 rushing TD's.

Ath/QB-dt Jaylin Jackson 5-8 172 rsFr -- 30-5 as starting QB at a Tampa HS
Passing - 5.621 yds, 66 TD's ---- Rushing - 1,858 yds, 30 TD's -- W-O

QB-pp Luke Matthews 5-9 166 Fr -- Local GHS HS QB.
Passing - 196 of 281 69.7% for 2,639 yds, 22 TD's, 11 Ints.

Maybe Sprol-son could be another combo spread QB on the depth chart.... :D

Last edited:
"Nobody on my high school team thought of him as a backup. He was just one of the guys, one of the starters. It was kind of like 1A, 1B." -- University of Houston quarterback D'Eriq King, Trask's former teammate at Manvel (Texas) High ...

Feleipe Franks’ season-ending ankle injury last Saturday in Lexington pushed Trask front and center, where he treated a national-TV audience to near-flawless execution during a scintillating 19-point fourth-quarter rally. The Gators’ dramatic 29-21 win left most college football fans wondering where Trask, a redshirt junior, had been hiding all this time. :cool:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0190919-2nbr3fu3xrcp7fkdpzn3azdptm-story.html
==========

As far as UF's running game goes, you take what the defense is giving you. o_O
If they want to fill the box to stop the run, you don't keep on trying to run the ball, you instead eat their lunch with the passing game,,,, and you win, which is the object of the game. o_O

Rushing yard or passing yards don't really matter,it's the points stupid. That's what decides who wins the game.... :cool:

Mullen said; “You’ve got to adapt. I mean I love being balanced, right? We threw it 30 times, ran it 27. Somewhat balanced. Obviously you always like to tip the scales on the side of the run, that’s me, I love to run the ball. But if you’re going to sit there and let us throw it and say, ‘We’re not going to let you run it,’ we’ll throw it.” ;)

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/gators-looking-for-ways-to-get-the-running-game-going/

NOTE:
Catches / Targets vs UK
Jefferson 7 / 8
Swain 4 / 5
Pitts 4 /' 4
Perine 3 / 4
Hammond 1 / 1
Combined 19 / 22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT