ADVERTISEMENT

How is Florida so inept at Offense?

SwamiG8R

Ring of Honor
Oct 28, 2002
I watch teams year after year, ROLL with offensive numbers..yet UF cant even get out of their own way...what a mess

I watch teams year after year, ROLL with offensive numbers..yet UF cant even get out of their own way...what a mess
That's the thing that bothers me so much. That's why I'm so convinced that its a schematic problem. There's just been a general lack of imagination and explosiveness for YEARS now. The one common thread through all the many different coaches and QBs has been "pro-style"

We have literally had one 5 game stretch of watchable QB play. And the ironic thing was that if mcelwain would have lied to Grier about promising him to start when he came back from a suspension, he would have started anyways.

We sold our soul for Tim Tebow

you guys ironically dubbed me numbers as soon as there no longer was any

There's nothing wrong with the formations. You people act like we run the I-Formetion all day.

Beyond the poor QB play and injuries the problem is a lack of sense with the play calls themselves and the almost non-existent use of tempo.

There's nothing wrong with the formations. You people act like we run the I-Formetion all day.

Beyond the poor QB play and injuries the problem is a lack of sense with the play calls themselves and the almost non-existent use of tempo.

Mac hates tempo, hated Baldwin using it at CSU. Nuss and Mac are one in the same.

When you line up with 3 tight ends in the tightest possible formations and the only thing you can possibly do is run a dive into a 10 man box. Then arguing about whether or not the formation is the problem is semantics.

Now if that same formation is used and you throw in some play action, option, QB power or maybe a touch of veer, then it's a different animal.

Why is it that tall athletic recievers are TEs at Florida? Why is Fullwood, who is a specimen, best known for his blocking? Guys like Lewis and Goolsby and Fullwood are WEAPONS on every good offensive team in the country.

I don't care what formation or how many different formations you use. Just get up to speed with what the rest of the football world is doing. And for the love of all that's good and kind, stop ramming square pegs into round holes just so you can run the system your giant ego wants to run.

I mean, watch college football, you hear the words " run-pass option" every five minutes............. unless you're watching the Gator offense

bama was running offense slower than us because they knew they didn't need to do anything else, that's hilarious.

This right here is the answer. Dating back to last year I've said out first 1-2 drives are always good because it's on script. After that everything goes to hell. And one of the reasons is that we don't do anything to hide weaknesses and the other is the lack of tempo.

In this day and age with all the rules favoring offense it makes no sense to slowly go back to the huddle down after down and give the defense type to substitute and match your formations and personnel. You're not doing anything but making it harder for yourself because even if you have a great playcall the defense is better set up to stop it because you've allowed them to sub to match up.

but guys are running wide open every play they said
Jesus Christ if I had a nickel for every time I've seen that comment on ITG the last few years, I could walk in and take a dump in my boss' office.

It isn't nearly this simple. And this isn't directed towards you really but I'm tired of hearing this. A perfect example of this is our 09' team. Returned something like 11 starters with future pros all over the place and the offense with Addazio made picking up a yard painful. The QB didn't change yet the offense was clunky. Why? For a more recent example...Jacoby Brissett. Couldn't get off the bench here and leaves and becomes a 3rd round pick. It isn't just the QB and never will be. System and playcalls will always be most important.

It isn't nearly this simple. And this isn't directed towards you really but I'm tired of hearing this. A perfect example of this is our 09' team. Returned something like 11 starters with future pros all over the place and the offense with Addazio made picking up a yard painful. The QB didn't change yet the offense was clunky. Why? For a more recent example...Jacoby Brissett. Couldn't get off the bench here and leaves and becomes a 3rd round pick. It isn't just the QB and never will be. System and playcalls will always be most important.

I get that there are other issues but brissett even admitted that he wasnt ready at florida. Said he didnt take it seriously until he realized that he had to work hard for it. I guess u could argue that is the coachs job. I dont like the playcalling after the first series. Seems like you script the first 15 plays well and then when u go back to your basic stuff, it falls apart. (fsu and bama). Gunna be honest tho, at the fsu game sitting in the stands there were receivers open and plays to be made and either the qb didnt see them or made a bad throw. I mean, put baker mayfield or deshaun watson or the unc qb on your team. Fsu and bama are much closer games with u probably winning one of them. Look what happened when u had will grier. U guys were rolling.

Yep changes need to be made. Its like they are lost after the first drive of scripted plays.

Doesn't matter who the QB is when you have a staff that isn't good at recruiting, isn't good at scheming, isn't good at play calling, isn't good at player development....like numbers often says, someone like Chip Kelly would take this same time and get much much different results. Look at Urban at OSU the championship year pulling QBs out of his ass and lighting it up every game.

mcelwain-foley-florida-gato.jpg

Reactions: Michi-Gator
I get that there are other issues but brissett even admitted that he wasnt ready at florida. Said he didnt take it seriously until he realized that he had to work hard for it. I guess u could argue that is the coachs job. I dont like the playcalling after the first series. Seems like you script the first 15 plays well and then when u go back to your basic stuff, it falls apart. (fsu and bama). Gunna be honest tho, at the fsu game sitting in the stands there were receivers open and plays to be made and either the qb didnt see them or made a bad throw. I mean, put baker mayfield or deshaun watson or the unc qb on your team. Fsu and bama are much closer games with u probably winning one of them. Look what happened when u had will grier. U guys were rolling.

We weren't rolling with him either, that's a myth. He was awesome against Ole Miss, but Ole Miss also had one of the worst pass defenses in the country. There were tons of stinker games with him at the helm. I don't think anybody is debating that a better QB would make the offense better, but it isn't gonna suddenly make this offense good with all the other issues. System trumps players, always have and always will. That's why it doesn't matter who plays QB for coaches like Petrino or Leach or Kingsbury or Dykes. Bottom line is this staff doesn't really have a history of developing an explosive offensive attack. The QB and the offense was always the weakness of those Bama teams.

People need to quit acting like this is a QB only issue. 100+ teams don't have significantly better QBs thatn us. Malzhan made the NC game with a DB playing QB. Our sustem and philosophy and coaching are atrocious

A pro style offense is fine if you have the players to make it work, especially a high quality offensive line along with power running backs and receivers who can get open and make plays consistently. Saban did it with an average QB, but his line was great, he had Julio Jones & Amari Cooper, plus Mark Ingram and 2 other RB's. You have to adjust your offense to the personnel you've got on campus and that's where I see the problem. We simply don't have the right type of players and the coaches aren't willing to adapt their schemes to match the talent.

A pro style offense is fine if you have the players to make it work, especially a high quality offensive line along with power running backs and receivers who can get open and make plays consistently. Saban did it with an average QB, but his line was great, he had Julio Jones & Amari Cooper, plus Mark Ingram and 2 other RB's. You have to adjust your offense to the personnel you've got on campus and that's where I see the problem. We simply don't have the right type of players and the coaches aren't willing to adapt their schemes to match the talent.

Only Harbaugh is running true pro-style of the top teams and his offense is garbage against good opponents. Saban dumped the traditional pro-style, why? Because every facet of the team must be absolutely perfect for it to work. We are light years from that being the case. The playoff features 4 wide open offenses with ONLY the #4 sees not using a DT QB. And PSU the last man out is wide open with a DT QB. All coincidence???

We didn't get what we thought with the Mcelwain hire...

Asked again about “whose” offense this was at CSU, he said, “He was the head coach and the head coach gets the credit. It’s a combination of this offensive staff — Art Valero (tight ends coach), Derek Frazier (offensive line), Alvis Whitted (wide receivers), Jeff Hammerschmidt (running backs) — that put it together. … But if you called anyone in this conference and talked about what our offense is, they’re going to say it’s Dave Baldwin’s. They’re going to tell you the influence there is Dave Baldwin’s.”

[URL]http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/12/06/colorado-state-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2014/12/06/colorado-state-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/[/URL]

Asked again about “whose” offense this was at CSU, he said, “He was the head coach and the head coach gets the credit. It’s a combination of this offensive staff — Art Valero (tight ends coach), Derek Frazier (offensive line), Alvis Whitted (wide receivers), Jeff Hammerschmidt (running backs) — that put it together. … But if you called anyone in this conference and talked about what our offense is, they’re going to say it’s Dave Baldwin’s. They’re going to tell you the influence there is Dave Baldwin’s.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...te-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...te-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/

Yup. And they were parting ways because Mac didn't like the open, up-tempo O. Foley bought a sales pitch. Are 17 year old recruits teally smarter than Foley?

People disagreed with me last year about this, but to me it was very telling when Mac came out PUBLICLY and said he wasn't changing his system for one player. Now in theory I get that because a coach needs to have a system and then recruit his type of players for it. But when that one player is your QB and that QB is the only QB you had on the team at the moment, that just isn't acceptable. And idk how offensive players would have confidence in the coach at that point. At that point you're putting your system above winning and great coaches don't do that. Spurrier dropped everything he's ever known about offense to run a spread-option with Connor Shaw when he couldn't get him to run his offense. The result was three 11-2 seasons. He cared more about winning then continuing to run the fun n' gun so he changed.

People disagreed with me last year about this, but to me it was very telling when Mac came out PUBLICLY and said he wasn't changing his system for one player. Now in theory I get that because a coach needs to have a system and then recruit his type of players for it. But when that one player is your QB and that QB is the only QB you had on the team at the moment, that just isn't acceptable. And idk how offensive players would have confidence in the coach at that point. At that point you're putting your system above winning and great coaches don't do that. Spurrier dropped everything he's ever known about offense to run a spread-option with Connor Shaw when he couldn't get him to run his offense. The result was three 11-2 seasons. He cared more about winning then continuing to run the fun n' gun so he changed.

Meyer with Leak?

Meyer with Leak?

That too. And like I said then adapting wasn't all of a sudden gonna make Treon great, he doesn't and didn't have that ability. But straight up saying "I'm not changing anything he's going to run what we call" when he's the only QB on the roster is just ridiculous. I could see if we had other options but we didn't...the backup was a WR from Vandy. So knowing that and still refusing to adapt for the only guy you can play is just mind boggling. It's basically saying "well, I know he's gonna fail doing what we're asking him to do, but that's my system so deal with it." Makes zero sense.

That too. And like I said then adapting wasn't all of a sudden gonna make Treon great, he doesn't and didn't have that ability. But straight up saying "I'm not changing anything he's going to run what we call" when he's the only QB on the roster is just ridiculous. I could see if we had other options but we didn't...the backup was a WR from Vandy. So knowing that and still refusing to adapt for the only guy you can play is just mind boggling. It's basically saying "well, I know he's gonna fail doing what we're asking him to do, but that's my system so deal with it." Makes zero sense.

Same thing Chump and Charlie did in year one

Addazio did the same thing with Brantley. I still remember us running triple option with him with a banged up rib and hand. All the fans bashed Brantley then too. Usually takes a while for people to catch on to what's happening.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...te-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/http://blogs.denverpost.com/college...te-explore-sure-dave-baldwins-job-lose/32872/

From the same article:

“I think we’re smart enough to understand that you have to adjust to the talent you have,” Baldwin said in September. “I think at Alabama, you could line up and say you were going to pound it against anybody and stay in the game and have great defense.

“Here, we’re going to have to explode on offense. You see very creative formations with us, which I don’t think they’d allow (at Alabama). … A lot of the play-action and everything is the same. We’re trying to flavor things and look different, but football doesn’t change.”

Anybody know how to get in contact with Dave Baldwin?

Reactions: SwamiG8R
From the same article:

“I think we’re smart enough to understand that you have to adjust to the talent you have,” Baldwin said in September. “I think at Alabama, you could line up and say you were going to pound it against anybody and stay in the game and have great defense.

“Here, we’re going to have to explode on offense. You see very creative formations with us, which I don’t think they’d allow (at Alabama). … A lot of the play-action and everything is the same. We’re trying to flavor things and look different, but football doesn’t change.”

Could get him cheap now he got stuck coaching WRs or something at Oregon State with a new coach I think due to Mac hanging him out there and going with Nuss.

From the same article:

Baldwin and Mac were having a falling out. Had we not erroniously hired away Mac they were parting ways anyway

Same thing Chump and Charlie did in year one

Yep. That drove me crazy. Basically, they said, well we know the best way to coach football, but these players can't do it, so we're just going to lose. It's insanely arrogant. Then these coaches get bent out of shape when the fans get impatient.

People need to quit acting like this is a QB only issue. 100+ teams don't have significantly better QBs thatn us. Malzhan made the NC game with a DB playing QB. Our sustem and philosophy and coaching are atrocious

But having a good QB puts you in position to have a good team. Look at the 4 playoff teams. All 4 have good QB's. Yes other things need to change, but that wont matter unless your QB can complete a pass.

This right here is the answer. Dating back to last year I've said out first 1-2 drives are always good because it's on script. After that everything goes to hell. And one of the reasons is that we don't do anything to hide weaknesses and the other is the lack of tempo.

In this day and age with all the rules favoring offense it makes no sense to slowly go back to the huddle down after down and give the defense type to substitute and match your formations and personnel. You're not doing anything but making it harder for yourself because even if you have a great playcall the defense is better set up to stop it because you've allowed them to sub to match up.
Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT