ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

I know any time you get a flip you think it's some great loss for the other team. He's been looking around for over 2 months for a place to go and fsu has been looking. I've followed his recruitment the entire time. I'm not saying he's not good, I'm saying we didn't value him very high compared to our other receivers. Gibson and Moore are outside receivers and we recruited 2 slot receivers over him in Frier and Mccoy. He was the 3rd slot receiver we took. We can't take 3.

This guy is not a Percy Harvin type player, he's a role player. He's a nice piece but it's not some huge loss for us. We are really deep at receiver and are bringing in 5 this class. Moore and Gibson will be the top 2 receivers in our class unless we land one of the bigger fish (doubtful). Decent player, lose zero sleep over losing him though as we are set at the position
Looks like McCoy may be flipping to Miami? Is that true? At least that is what I saw a few Miami fans say. I don’t know if they know anything or not.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Looks like McCoy may be flipping to Miami? Is that true? At least that is what I saw a few Miami fans say. I don’t know if they know anything or not.

Yes. Mccoy and Abrams were both on the mend. Sucks to lose both, was only hoping to lose one. The coaches are actively trying to keep Mccoy but I doubt that happens. Think he's all but gone. He committed in April without his family on the visit and was a huge Miami lean before that so it was a pleasant surprise.

We have Lester on July 28th and KJ Bolden on Aug 5th. We are in both of those recruitment but Deions been sniffing around Lester and Lester is visiting there on a multi day visit coming up LOL KJ was all UGA and Oh st but we've closed the gap. I don't think he picks us on the 5th tho, maybe he does but I wouldn't bet on it. The interesting thing about KJ is he's taken official's to everywhere except FSU. He's got a date (the Miami game) so even if he doesnt commit to us on the 5th, we have another shot.

Honestly, we need better recruiters on staff. We do great in the portal, elite even. For some reason we don't resonate well with high schoolers (it's because we hire weirdos to be coaches). No one is lining up wanting g to play for Fuller and Shannon LOL Nobody....and I don't blame them

Reactions: PacoGator19
Kirby has the best players, that's why he wins. He's dominant on the trail (probably cheats). He's not some wizard with x's and o'd. Missouri almost beat your best team ever because of him and his poor planning. He's a better recruiting version of Jimbo.

Make him coach Kentucky next yr, they don't win 8 games. He thrives on having the best players
And that’s true for essentially every elite coach. Bowden, Saban, Myers. Hell, Saban more than anyone has benefitted from that. When he has seen equal or better talent he’s very average. But yeah it’s just Kirby in here.

Last edited:
It's hard to argue against Smart too much with his results. He and the boosters are great recruiters and he knows defense. The one thing he has done is bring Saban down to earth and show he isn't unique when you have talent at that level.
The jelly level is high in here.

And that’s true for literally every elite coach. Bowden, Saban, Myers. Hell, Saban more than anyone has benefitted from that. When he has seen equal or better talent he’s very average. But yeah it’s just Kirby in here.
Not rly. Saban has out coached before as has Myers. I'd say Bobby is someone who relied on talent more than the others you mentioned

And that’s true for literally every elite coach. Bowden, Saban, Myers. Hell, Saban more than anyone has benefitted from that. When he has seen equal or better talent he’s very average. But yeah it’s just Kirby in here.
If you have the best players, it’s smart coaching to play abc football. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

All those great coaches Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Bowden, etc won because they had elite talent. These guys were recruiting top 5 talent most of the time with Spurrier being the worst recruiter out of all of them but the best X’s and O’s Out of the above. That isn’t taking anything away from their coaching but you don’t win without elite talent. Did Spurrier win any national titles coaching at South Carolina? Did Saban win any national titles at Michigan St? They couldn’t get the talent at those schools that they could at a UF or Bama.

Do you think Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, Ed Orgeron, Les Miles can coach or did they win because they had elite talent?

Saban's had talent that far exceeded anyone on his schedule. He showed up every Saturday with way more talent. The 80's and 90's had more parity. Heck, as SOS pointed out uga outrecruited Florida most years. Pruitt said he thought it was normal to hand bags of money to parents of players. Kirby has duplicated the Saban model. dawgs not only closed the talent gap on bama, they have surpassed it. kirby lousy coach but awesome recruiter.

lmao I don't get some folks

Like yeah, Smart is great because he's a great recruiter - shocker!! We need to get some of that 'cruiting too.

All those great coaches Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Bowden, etc won because they had elite talent. These guys were recruiting top 5 talent most of the time with Spurrier being the worst recruiter out of all of them but the best X’s and O’s Out of the above. That isn’t taking anything away from their coaching but you don’t win without elite talent. Did Spurrier win any national titles coaching at South Carolina? Did Saban win any national titles at Michigan St? They couldn’t get the talent at those schools that they could at a UF or Bama.

Do you think Larry Coker, Gene Chizik, Ed Orgeron, Les Miles can coach or did they win because they had elite talent?

Spurrier pulling three straight 11-2 records at SC was pretty crazy. I wonder how he was recruiting there leading up to that. I think our 95 and 96 teams were the only teams Spurrier had that maybe matched FSU in talent.

Reactions: sadgator
Spurrier pulling three straight 11-2 records at SC was pretty crazy. I wonder how he was recruiting there leading up to that. I think our 95 and 96 teams were the only teams Spurrier had that maybe matched FSU in talent.
That is because Spurrier could flat out coach. But he couldn’t recruit well enough at USCjr to win championships there. Holtz had some good years there as well but again didn’t have the talent to win titles there. With that being said even when Spurrier went 11-2 he never won the SEC East those years. Spurrier coached at USCjr for 11 years and won the East just 1 time. He coached at UF 12 years and won the East 9 times. If that doesn’t tell you how important having elite talent is then not sure what else to say.

Yes 1995 and 96 were probably his most talented teams but I would probably throw the 2021 team in there as well. That 2001 UF team plays in the national title game if we just tackle Travis Henry a few more times and Graham doesn’t get his knee twisted the week before against FSU. We really didn’t even need Earnest to beat that Tennessee team. We just needed to play somewhat average defense in they game.

That is because Spurrier could flat out coach. But he couldn’t recruit well enough at USCjr to win championships there. Holtz had some good years there as well but again didn’t have the talent to win titles there. With that being said even when Spurrier went 11-2 he never won the SEC East those years. Spurrier coached at USCjr for 11 years and won the East just 1 time. He coached at UF 12 years and won the East 9 times. If that doesn’t tell you how important having elite talent is then not sure what else to say.

Yes 1995 and 96 were probably his most talented teams but I would probably throw the 2021 team in there as well. That 2001 UF team plays in the national title game if we just tackle Travis Henry a few more times and Graham doesn’t get his knee twisted the week before against FSU. We really didn’t even need Earnest to beat that Tennessee team. We just needed to play somewhat average defense in they game.

Yep we just fell apart against the run that game.

Spurrier won the ACC-C in his 3rd season at freakin' Dukie....

Could Saban or Smart win conference titles at Vandy or Dukie, or even at Rutgers???

At UF, his 3 worst seasons were 9-2, 9-4, 9-4
UF W/L record was 122-27-1

Spurrier at SCa, won the SEC-e once and finished the SECe at 2nd twice.
He also won 11 games 3 years in a row, and finished 228-89.
He's the All Time winningest coach in both UF and SCa history.

And how about the USFL Bandits?
At 37 years old, Spurrier was the youngest head coach in professional football at the time. He went 35-19, .648 in 3 seasons, making the playoff twice.

Jus-sayin....

Last edited:

Could Saban or Smart win conference titles at Vandy or Dukie, or even at Rutgers???

Spurrier won the SEC-e once and finished the SECe at 2nd twice.

At 37 years old, Spurrier was the youngest head coach in professional football at the time. He went 35-19, .648 in 3 seasons, making the playoff twice.

Jus-sayin....
That’s why I didn’t include him in my list. He’s legit. I can admit that.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Let's not forget that Meyer also turned two, not one, but two losing programs around in his first season at Bowling Green and Utah.

Curious to see what Saban does if he took a loss to GA in either the SECCG missing the playoff or the playoff itself. I wonder how close he is to hanging it up.

Jus-sayin....

Spurrier was an elite x and o guy and I think he "went for it" more and was way ahead of his time with his offense

Jus-sayin....
There was a major reason Spurrier made Bill Curry regret firing him at Georgia Tech. He even begged Curry to make him OC after Pepper Rodgers left. But Spurrier landed an OC job at Duke till John Bassett hired him at Tampa Bay.

We all saw Spurrier had no sympathy for Curry every time he ran up the score on Kentucky.

That’s why I didn’t include him in my list. He’s legit. I can admit that.
Bama the only team in the country that is even close to uga talent. Dawgs will be double digit favorites in every game next year. David Shula could go undefeated with dawg roster.

Let’s be honest, Steve should never have left UF.

He would never admit that, and he made out fine financially…but when he left, we were all robbed of the alternate reality that should have been experienced in our lives…

If he had never left UF, history would view him with much more reverence and respect…

As it is…he’ll be remembered (by those nationally outside of UF) as a pretty good upper tier coach who dominated his conference for a brief stretch…but his true greatness will always be under appreciated because it wasn’t fully realized.

Last edited:
Bama the only team in the country that is even close to uga talent. Dawgs will be double digit favorites in every game next year. David Shula could go undefeated with dawg roster.
Id put Ohio St up there too. OL will be solid, LB too. Secondary I never know. Looks good on paper but have gotten lit up by several good passing teams. RB will be a question mark and we still don’t know for certain who the true QB will be. DL can’t possibly be what it was now that Carter is gone.

He would never admit that, and he made out fine financially…but when he left, we were all robbed of the alternate reality that should have been experienced in our lives…

If he had never left UF, history would view him with much more reverence and respect…

As it is…he’ll be remembered (by those nationally outside of UF) as a pretty good upper tier coach who dominated his conference for a brief stretch…but his true greatness will always be under appreciated because it wasn’t fully realized.
AmazIng to me that he only won a single natty.

Spurrier was a great for sure but if the guy cared more about the defensive side of the ball he would have won more than 1 natty. During his 12 years he only had 1-2 good DCs. And he could have put a little bit more effort into recruiting as well. Those things would have gotten him another title or 2.

Reactions: gatordad3
Spurrier was a great for sure but if the guy cared more about the defensive side of the ball he would have won more than 1 natty. During his 12 years he only had 1-2 good DCs. And he could have put a little bit more effort into recruiting as well. Those things would have gotten him another title or 2.
What puzzled me was Spurrier didn't promote Bob Sanders the second Stoops left, instead going with Hoke the Joke, whom Stoops recommended.

Is Bama missing more on top players than in the past. I think their out of high school rankings are keeping up with GA in recent years. OSU is about the only other team in close range of those 2.

On realignment..... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but...... FSU to the big 10 could happen.

Colorado just moved to the big 12.

In order for the ACC to implode the GOR, half the members need to leave. The big 12 is interested in 2 to 6 teams. The Big 10 is interested in 2 to 4 teams.

There is also a way for the ACC to challenge the Grant of rights in court.

In the ACC you have to declare you are leaving by August 15th. If FSU doesn't declare by August 15th, they would have to wait almost 2 full yrs before they could leave. I'm honestly not sure if that happens. If they don't do it this yr, they will definitely do it next yr.

With the SEC and Big 10 signing new deals giving them 30 to 40 million more dollars than the ACC, I think there is a ZERO percent chance we are in the ACC in 3 seasons. Interesting times, hope the UF rivalry stays on the schedule but with UF getting a new schedule and us possibly getting a new schedule, hope it sticks.

It was fun though. Being able to score in a split second from anywhere at any time was a great feeling that sadgator sincerely misses…

It was fun though. Being able to score in a split second from anywhere at any time was a great feeling that sadgator sincerely misses…

The Spurrier Bowden days were peak cfb. They both had great personalities that bounced well off of each other. Spurrier always had me dying laughing

Reactions: sadgator
On realignment..... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but...... FSU to the big 10 could happen.

Colorado just moved to the big 12.

In order for the ACC to implode the GOR, half the members need to leave. The big 12 is interested in 2 to 6 teams. The Big 10 is interested in 2 to 4 teams.

There is also a way for the ACC to challenge the Grant of rights in court.

In the ACC you have to declare you are leaving by August 15th. If FSU doesn't declare by August 15th, they would have to wait almost 2 full yrs before they could leave. I'm honestly not sure if that happens. If they don't do it this yr, they will definitely do it next yr.

With the SEC and Big 10 signing new deals giving them 30 to 40 million more dollars than the ACC, I think there is a ZERO percent chance we are in the ACC in 3 seasons. Interesting times, hope the UF rivalry stays on the schedule but with UF getting a new schedule and us possibly getting a new schedule, hope it sticks.
FSU to Big10? That’s laughable. Big12 makes a lot more sense.

FSU to Big10? That’s laughable. Big12 makes a lot more sense.

No it doesn't. That won't happen, zero chance there. The big 10 and fsu have been in discussions "under the table" since last October. The big 10 and sec are going to be the two premiere co ferences, FSU will not be left out of that. We have the biggest TV numbers in the ACC and very good numbers on national stage. Fsu admin has said they aren't going to pac or big 12. The ideal landing spot is big 10. It wouldn't just be us, Clemson, Miami, and UNC could go as well, add in USC and UCLA. Then ND would probably make the same agreement with the big that they have with the ACC. The cfb world is shifting to two major conferences and then everybody else.

No it doesn't. That won't happen, zero chance there. The big 10 and fsu have been in discussions "under the table" since last October. The big 10 and sec are going to be the two premiere co ferences, FSU will not be left out of that. We have the biggest TV numbers in the ACC and very good numbers on national stage. Fsu admin has said they aren't going to pac or big 12. The ideal landing spot is big 10. It wouldn't just be us, Clemson, Miami, and UNC could go as well, add in USC and UCLA. Then ND would probably make the same agreement with the big that they have with the ACC. The cfb world is shifting to two major conferences and then everybody else.
Yes it does.

Yes it does.

I see UGA fans haven't changed in the slightest, still nimwits with tiny brains. Us going to the big 12 makes as much sense as you guys going to the pac 12. None. The big 10 wants us in, they provide way more money and better teams than the big 12. Just because you want something to be true, doesn't mean it is. Big 10 and SEC will be the 2 dominant conferences moving forward

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT