ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Visitors for this weekend include one five-star and nine four-star prospects.

This weekend’s visitors list is headlined by five-star linebacker Malik Bryant out of Orlando, Florida. He’s ranked as the 27th overall prospect and as the second-best at his position, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. This will be Bryant’s second trip to the Swamp this year after he made one in January. He plans to make his commitment known to the public on July 23.

Four-star teammates Derrick LeBlanc and John Walker will also be in attendance this weekend and plan to stop by UF’s campus on Friday. For LeBlanc, this will be his fourth trip to see Napier and Co. since they’ve taken over at Florida. He will also make his commitment known publicly with Bryant on July 23. Then this will be Walker’s second visit to the Gators in 2022.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/01/florida-football-recruiting-visit-weekend-preview-april/

4* OT to Visit -

We need to sign 2 or 3 this year; early entry hopefully.

Auburn & Texas seem to be his leaders right now; Sam Pittman, a savvy judge of OL talent, has Arkansas right behind.

2023 - CONNOR STROH - OT - 6'7"-345 lbs - Wakeland HS - Frisco, TX

I like the LOOK on his face; I think he will finish his blocks !

EDIT

It was great': Gators offer massive 2023 OT during visit !​

While his day had unquestionably been filled with excitement, Connor Stroh was already quite tired by the time the day gave way to night.

The 6-foot-6.5, 345-pound 2023 three-star offensive tackle prospect from Frisco (Texas) Wakeland High School took an unofficial visit to Florida State in the morning before driving roughly two hours to Gainesville for an unofficial at Florida in the afternoon.

He has the Look of a finisher !
https://247sports.com/college/flori...ve-line-Rob-Sale-Darnell-Stapleton-185663433/

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
I have to admit this new coach does seem to have his act together now that we are working on the 2nd class. Getting a bunch of top guys on campus early unlike Mullen and the kids seem to like the staff and we also have the new facilities about to come online. I think only NIL could keep us from getting back to Meyer like recruiting but that wouldn't be under the coach's control.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Why Not Florida !

Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian four-star running back Treyaun Webb‍ created a firestorm when he asked the question, Why Not Florida?

https://insidethegators.com/s/3137/three-simple-words-describe-ufs-message-to-four-star
Four-star running back Treyaun Webb said after one of his visits earlier this month that he thought about committing to Florida before departing campus.

Webb and his cousin and former star Gators cornerback Dee Webb visited the Swamp again this past weekend.

Crystal Ball Prediction

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...ruiting-treyaun-webb-crystal-ball-prediction/

Passing the Torch - Dee Webb to Treyaun Webb !!!

FPbZhtzX0AcVmY-

EDIT

Four-star RB Treyaun Webb: 'It's going to be hard to pull me away from Florida.'​

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...oing-to-be-hard-to-pull-me-away-from-florida/

Last edited:
Kelton Smith, EDDY PIERRE-LOUIS, Francis Mauigoa, Connor Stroh, ...

Don't think John Hevesy had this many talented OL visit UF during his entire tenure as a coach.

You almost think Napier wants an OL good enough to run the ball against Bama, UGA, KY, & anybody else we meet.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I still don't see what all the chasing after Arch is for, looking at his HS stats....
And with all the guys already on the roster for 2023, I can't see Arch wanting to come to UF to compete.

2022 QB Max Brown 6-3 200 tFr (summer arrival)
Passing - 167 of 235, 71.1% for 2,750 Yds, 41 TD's to 4 Ints.
😮
Rushing - 173 for 1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, 1 LPF. 😮
HS Sr Tot-Off = 4,093 Yds, 61 TD's to 5 TO's 😲

Go watch his highlight film and tell me you'd want to come in to compete with Max if you were Arch.
Imo it's measurables and genetics - at this level even if your stats aren't that great, these 2 being impeccable make you a top "potential" talent

Imo it's measurables and genetics - at this level even if your stats aren't that great, these 2 being impeccable make you a top "potential" talent

gbo, IMO, Arch will want and expect to be a 4 year starter wherever he goes,
just like all in his family have before him. (Archie-Peyton-Eli)

Here's UF's projected QB room for 2023, when Arch would arrive:

Anthony Richardson 6-4 237 rsJr
Jack Miller III 6-3 215 rsJr
Carlos Del Rio-Wilson 6-2 228 rsSo
Jalen Kitna 6-4 205 rsSo
Max Brown 6-3 200 rsFr

---
Jack Anders 6-1 203 rsSr
Kyle Engel 6-0 190 rsSr

Do you see Nappy starting Arch as a tFr in 2023?

=======

Well, lets say that 4 are gone to begin 2023, just for chits & giggles, and only these 3 remain...

Jalen Kitna 6-4 205 rsSo
Max Brown 6-3 205 rsFr

I still don't see Arch coming in and winning the starting job, do you?

And that's why I wouldn't waste time on recruiting him.
Offering him is fine with me, but that's about as far as I'd go in spending time on recruiting him.
It really doesn't come down to measurables or genetics imo, it's competition levels and upperclassmen numbers in the room ahead of you.

I just don't see Arch beating out any of the 3, much less Richardson if he's still here....

Reactions: gatordad3
^^
I pretty much agree - but if the kid is willing to earn the job, we stack talent and see what happens :)
I'd be just fine with that IF it occurred.
But the Manning family has pretty much despised UF.
Arch will go where he starts as a true Fr, which ain't UF.
So, I'd bet the farm that Arch is NOT coming to UF.

And just on the eye-test of his perfoemance, I'd not be pursuing him with anything more than an offer for future depth. Arch is as over-hyped, as Trask was under-rated....

Here's an iG out-on-a-limb for ya...
I think that if Max Brown's HS performance translates to college, he could very well be UF's next Heisman QB.... 😉

gatorbuilderorlando said: if the kid (Arch) is willing to earn the job, we stack talent and see what happened.

Insta - "I'd be just fine with that IF it occurred. But the Manning family has pretty much despised UF. Arch will go where he starts as a true Fr, which ain't UF. So, I'd bet the farm that Arch is NOT coming to UF."
JFJ --- IMO, UF being on his list was just a courtesy because Arch enjoyed Napier's visit & him having the cojones to barge in on his recruiting !
Insta - "IMO, Arch will want and expect to be a 4 year starter wherever he goes,barge in on his recruiting ! just like all in his family have before him. (Archie-Peyton-Eli)."

Here's an iG out-on-a-limb for ya... I think that if Max Brown's HS performance translates to college, he could very well be UF's next Heisman QB.... ?

Insta,

Agree with your thoughts ! Max Brown would have been wasted playing for "Shark Boy."

IMO, two reasons Bama & UGA are thought to be 2 of his 3 college options; Texas the surprising 3rd.

Bama & UGA's rosters.

While I'm sure that each coach has a few positions they would like to "Tweak", both Bama & UGA have excellent talent returning at all the other positions.

Napier & UF (6-7 last year) are rebuilding; hence all of Napier's comments about Transfer Portal; some transfers happening now; massive house cleaning appears to be coming after Spring Practice & evaluations.

Plus AR-15 a huge mountain to climb if Arch expects to become QB1 as a true FR.

Texas (5-7 last year) is also rebuilding, but Sarkisian has been there a year & has already started revamping his roster - starting with Quinn Ewers, incoming 5* transfer QB1 (Ohio State).

The other big reason Bama & UGA in the lead for Arch is their returning QB situations & Arch's desire to start as a true freshman - to uphold the Manning tradition ? LOL

Bama Qbs
QB1 - BRYCE YOUNG JR – IMO, another season even close to last year - 4,872 yds & 47 TDs vs 7 INT & he leaves for NFL

Next In Line ?
JALEN MILROE RS FR - 4* DT
TY SIMPSON FR - 4/5* Pro Style

WTF ?
BLAKE JARRETT SO- Former Walk on QB at Vandy; Then transferred to Bama

WHAT WAS SABAN THINKING ? Maybe he saw trailers for the Stetson Bennett movie (due soon) or replayed the CFP title game in his head once too often !

Bama QB position extremely weak; almost like Saban has emptied the roster in anticipation of Arch's arrival or his (Saban's) retirement.

Georgia Qbs

QB1-STETSON BENNETT SR – ROTFLMAO when he beat Young & Saban for the NATTIE. Don't see NFL in his future, but any sort of decent season & Dawg fans will remember & take care of him.

Next In Line ?
BROCK VANDAGRIFF RS FR - 5* - Pro Style
CARSON BECK RS SO – 4* - Pro Style - our old friend from Jax
GUNNER STOCKTON FR - 4* DT

Depth ?
JACKSON MUSCHAMP RS SO - 2* Pro Style
NATHAN PRIESTLEY JR - Pro Style - Not rated by Rivals
COLLIN DRAKE RS FR - DT - Not Rated by Rivals

On paper, Dawg's QB situation better than Bama's. On the field, who knows ?

Like Insta, don't see Arch coming to UF; frankly don't care; plenty of talent in UF QB Room; OL & DL where we are hurting & Napier recruiting like crazy to fix those areas.
Transfer Portal next stop

Last edited:
JFJ --- IMO, UF being on his list was just a courtesy because Arch enjoyed Napier's visit & him having the cojones to barge in on his recruiting !

Insta,

Agree with your thoughts ! Max Brown would have been wasted playing for "Shark Boy."

IMO, two reasons Bama & UGA are thought to be 2 of his 3 college options; Texas the surprising 3rd.

Bama & UGA's rosters.

While I'm sure that each coach has a few positions they would like to "Tweak", both Bama & UGA have excellent talent returning at all the other positions.

Napier & UF (6-7 last year) are rebuilding; hence all of Napier's comments about Transfer Portal; some transfers happening now; massive house cleaning appears to be coming after Spring Practice & evaluations.

Plus AR-15 a huge mountain to climb if Arch expects to become QB1 as a true FR.

Texas (5-7 last year) is also rebuilding, but Sarkisian has been there a year & has already started revamping his roster - starting with Quinn Ewers, incoming 5* transfer QB1 (Ohio State).

The other big reason Bama & UGA in the lead for Arch is their returning QB situations & Arch's desire to start as a true freshman - to uphold the Manning tradition ? LOL

Bama Qbs
QB1 - BRYCE YOUNG JR – IMO, another season even close to last year - 4,872 yds & 47 TDs vs 7 INT & he leaves for NFL

Next In Line ?
JALEN MILROE RS FR - 4* DT
TY SIMPSON FR - 4/5* Pro Style

WTF ?
BLAKE JARRETT SO- Former Walk on QB at Vandy; Then transferred to Bama

WHAT WAS SABAN THINKING ? Maybe he saw trailers for the Stetson Bennett movie (due soon) or replayed the CFP title game in his head once too often !

Bama QB position extremely weak; almost like Saban has emptied the roster in anticipation of Arch's arrival or his (Saban's) retirement.

Georgia Qbs

QB1-STETSON BENNETT SR – ROTFLMAO when he beat Young & Saban for the NATTIE. Don't see NFL in his future, but any sort of decent season & Dawg fans will remember & take care of him.

Next In Line ?
BROCK VANDAGRIFF RS FR - 5* - Pro Style
CARSON BECK RS SO – 4* - Pro Style - our old friend from Jax
GUNNER STOCKTON FR - 4* DT

Depth ?
JACKSON MUSCHAMP RS SO - 2* Pro Style
NATHAN PRIESTLEY JR - Pro Style - Not rated by Rivals
COLLIN DRAKE RS FR - DT - Not Rated by Rivals

On paper, Dawg's QB situation better than Bama's. On the field, who knows ?

Like Insta, don't see Arch coming to UF; frankly don't care; plenty of talent in UF QB Room; OL & DL where we are hurting & Napier recruiting like crazy to fix those areas.
Transfer Portal next stop

Again, you never know what's going to happen to a QB room. LSU went from stacked for the future a year ago to having an upcoming true sophomore as the only scholarship QB on the roster just a few months ago.

Oklahoma last year. Thought they had the number one pick in the draft and Heisman trophy front runner going into the season then he gets benched and transfers then the guy that replaced him transfers.

Richardson is still a huge question mark, and if he has a huge year? He could easily decide to go to the NFL. Gotta expect at least one or two of these other QBs to transfer (probably Kitna or Del Rio).

That can make your QB room precarious quickly.

April 8, 2022 Visitor's List -

Offensive prospects to visit
4* RB - Samuel Singleton (5-11, 180, Orange Park, FL. Fleming Island)
3* RB - Dontavius Braswell (5-11, 200, Sandersville, GA. Washington County)
3* RB - Michael Mitchell (6-0, 200, Middleburg, FL. High)
4/5* - 2024 WR - Jeremiah Smith (6-3, 185, Hollywood, FL. Chaminade-Madonna Prep) -
Track Results -
https://florida.tfrrs.org/athletes/7738253/
110 High Hurdes 17.14; also runs 4x100 Relay

Defensive prospects to visit

The Gators have a desperate need for linebackers in the class and on Saturday the staff will host one of their top targets at linebackers.
3* LB Grayson Howard (6-3, 215, Jacksonville, FL. Andrew Jackson)
3* Ath – UF commit Aaron Gates (6-1, 180, Sharpsberg, GA. Trinity Christian School)
3* CB - RJ Johnson (6-3, 180, McDonough, GA. Eagles's Landing Christian)
3* S - Bryce Thornton (5-10, 185, Alpharetta, GA. Milton)
4* - 2024 OLB/DE - Booker Pickett
(6-4, 195, Tampa, FL. Wharton)

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...ting-visitors-list-preview-april-8th-weekend/

Last edited:
IMG Academy four-star offensive lineman Knijeah Harris. 6-3, 335 will be in Gainesville on Thursday for the Gators' spring game.

Harris, who the 247Sports Composite pegs as the nation's No. 18 interior offensive lineman, finalized details over the weekend to announce a decision May 7 live on CBSSports HQ, a free 24-hour sports news network. He added that he will pick between Florida, Miami, Texas A&M, Michigan State, Alabama and Oklahoma.
https://247sports.com/college/flori...AM-Michigan-State-Alabama-Oklahoma-186050427/

If we just get 1/3 of these 4 & 5 star recruits Napier has got to visit campus, this will be a banner recruiting year. It's amazing the progress he's made just getting these players to agree to a visit in such a short time on the job.
Agreed

Stokes to Penn State; Vizzina to Clemson; Gators must Re-evaluate their 2023 QB Recruiting

Three-star quarterback Marcus Stokes (Nease Hs) announced his commitment to Penn State on Friday.

Four-star quarterback Christopher Vizzina commits to Clemson
https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/...cts-remaining-quarterback-recruiting-dominoes

Napier’s quarterback board has become quite foggy after this weekend.

Manning is Florida’s top target but once again it has not gotten him to the Swamp after it was reported that the Gators were added to his top list of schools that he is considering.

IMO, no way in hell Manning comes to a rebuilding Gator program !

Stokes was most likely the backup option if Manning and Vizzina fell through because he hailed from nearby Jacksonville, Florida, and played at the same high school as Tim Tebow.

But the Gators and Napier never extended an offer despite how much they communicated with him.

Looks as though their efforts to "slow play" Stokes didn't work.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/11/florida-football-recruiting-christopher-vizzina-top-6/

EDIT

The 1st & Ten Database has a 2023 Florida Football Offer List
https://florida.rivals.com/offers/football/2023

In it, I found offers to two other 3* QB who have never visited G'ville - Marcel Reed & Folger Boaz.

If, as all the verbiage on various Gator sites seemed to indicate, the Gators were sincerely interested in him, rather stupid on Napier's part not to offer Stokes.

All he had to do was look at 1st & Ten's list to see Napier was blowing smoke up his ass.

QBs listed below come from an excellent article by Corey Bender.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...e-florida-gators-hunt-for-a-2023-quarterback/

My favorite of all these remaining QBs is Holstein; I like his size; and he is a Louisiana recruit who at least knows who Billy Napier is.

This may give Billy a chance to build a relationship & actually sign him.

Recruits from California & Detroit are a stretch; Napier has no recognition factor in those areas of the country - as yet !

Eli Holstein

Dylan Lonergan

Dante Moore

Jaden Rashada

Last edited:
gbo, IMO, Arch will want and expect to be a 4 year starter wherever he goes,
just like all in his family have before him. (Archie-Peyton-Eli)

Here's UF's projected QB room for 2023, when Arch would arrive:

Anthony Richardson 6-4 237 rsJr
Jack Miller III 6-3 215 rsJr
Jalen Kitna 6-4 205 rsSo
Max Brown 6-3 200 rsFr

---
Jack Anders 6-1 203 rsSr
Kyle Engel 6-0 190 rsSr

Do you see Nappy starting Arch as a tFr in 2023?
=======

Well, lets say that 4 are gone to begin 2023, just for chits & giggles, and only these 3 remain...

Jalen Kitna 6-4 205 rsSo
Max Brown 6-3 205 rsFr

I still don't see Arch coming in and winning the starting job, do you?

And that's why I wouldn't waste time on recruiting him.
Offering him is fine with me, but that's about as far as I'd go in spending time on recruiting him.
It really doesn't come down to measurables or genetics imo, it's competition levels and upperclassmen numbers in the room ahead of you.

I just don't see Arch beating out any of the 3, much less Richardson if he's still here....
I don't think we have any shot at Arch. I also agree that Arch isn't beating out who we have. However he isn't a shoe in anywhere to be a 4 year starter. Peyton and Eli weren't projected 4 year starters. Eli had to sit behind Romero Miller. Peyton was 3rd on his depth chart until an opening season injury to QB Jerry Colquit and also former MLB star Todd Helton whom got injured. Peyton also shared some snaps early with other true Frosh Branndon Stewart.

Huge Visitors List for the Orange & Blue Game - Courtesy of Andrew Spivey.

This Thursday night game makes for awkward timing & plans are always subject to change, but in addition to Maryland defensive tackle transfer Darrell Jackson

& several IMG players, Napier & the Gators hope to have -

5 offensive linemen
4 defensive lineman
7 receivers
2 athletes
1 running back
1 linebacker
2 safeties
3 cornerbacks
plus some 2024 recruits

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/orange-and-blue-visitors-list-for-the-florida-gators-2/

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Arch Manning can get paid with NIL deals while still in high school​

Louisiana’s high school athletic association has approved name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals for high school student-athletes in the state, allowing young stars like Arch to get paid even before reaching college.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/20...id-with-nil-deals-while-still-in-high-school/

When I first started this thread, LG89 posted that the Manning family had so much money that Arch would not be influenced by NIL when choosing what school to attend.

I wonder if getting a few $mm bucks of, personal rather than family money, while still in HS, will make any difference in his choice ?

Is there still oil in Texas ?

EDIT

Did this have anything to do with allowing NIL for HS students ?

State Income Tax in Louisiana - 2 to 6%

Louisiana tax rates vary from 2 to 6%, depending upon marital status and income. Here is specific information from the Louisiana Department of Revenue.
What Are The Louisiana Tax Brackets?
Tax RateIncome Earned
2%First $12,500
4%Next $37,500
6%Over $50,000

Last edited:
I am sure Mannings NIL deal will be really big wherever he goes. Of course the kid would like his own money.

Damn NIL has taken over everything with most of the real top recruits and also keeping the players that show they are good from transferring in addition to getting those top transfer portal guys.

I guess we will find out where our boosters are with that in the next few weeks based on the available portal guys we get compared to the other SEC teams as we have the room.

I wonder if that gator collective money fans are giving to is used just to keep players already at UF from leaving or is it also used to get portal guys and new recruits?

The stuff is a crazy non-business based free for all now that is dependant on how much the boosters/fans are willing to pay.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Initially I was pretty negative on the NIL stuff and still have concerns - but as we move thru the initial stages I'm seeing some potential upsides as well.

1 - fans will have a direct impact on the talent roster. If buy a Bucs t-shirt etc, it really doesn't help the team. Any excess profits go to the owners and they have a salary cap in the NFL, so they can only spend so much anyhow. With the NIL, fan collectives can DIRECTLY impact exactly who comes to their team...this could be very interesting.
2 - I don't think it'll only be about money. Yes there will be outlyers but a market of sorts will arise. Some players will get overpaid and some under. Overtime teams that overpay will regress, teams that underpay but have NIL money will catch up.
3- NIL will be one factor in a recruit's commitment but only 1 of many. Like any of us taking a job, yes money matters - but culture, location, atmosphere etc matters just as much. Money will only be a problem if it's way under expectations.
4- now that players will be treated more like professionals - they'll be more expected to act as such. The whole "well he eff'd up but he's 18" - that's going to go bye bye if you are a company cutting big money checks. There will be outliers of course but a kid not pulling their weight should cut back.

2 cents

Initially I was pretty negative on the NIL stuff and still have concerns - but as we move thru the initial stages I'm seeing some potential upsides as well.

1 - fans will have a direct impact on the talent roster. If buy a Bucs t-shirt etc, it really doesn't help the team. Any excess profits go to the owners and they have a salary cap in the NFL, so they can only spend so much anyhow. With the NIL, fan collectives can DIRECTLY impact exactly who comes to their team...this could be very interesting.
2 - I don't think it'll only be about money. Yes there will be outlyers but a market of sorts will arise. Some players will get overpaid and some under. Overtime teams that overpay will regress, teams that underpay but have NIL money will catch up.
3- NIL will be one factor in a recruit's commitment but only 1 of many. Like any of us taking a job, yes money matters - but culture, location, atmosphere etc matters just as much. Money will only be a problem if it's way under expectations.
4- now that players will be treated more like professionals - they'll be more expected to act as such. The whole "well he eff'd up but he's 18" - that's going to go bye bye if you are a company cutting big money checks. There will be outliers of course but a kid not pulling their weight should cut back.

2 cents
How does buying a Gator t-shirt going to help NIL? Please explain. The administration cannot give money to players or broker NIL deals. It has to come outside of the school.

2 cents

I am a lot more pessimistic on NIL than you.

I think the very top recruits will be bought for the most part and the biggest boosters won't give a damn if some do bad stuff and will just keep trying to assist their college team by paying over real NIL value. They probably will have NIL deals that can terminate if the player does something crazy though.

I had never really thought about this affecting the portal much until I saw Castleton was probably talked into staying because of it even though his situation wasn't portal related.

Now we have a situation where the top NIL teams can buy a few hired guns from lesser football teams in addition to cornering the market on the very top high school recruits.

Depending on the number and motivation of these really rich boosters and fans there won't be a downside to overpaying these players.

Will UF be able to stay in the same league as about 5 of these SEC schools once Texas arrives? That is the million dollar question to be answered and we will be getting the early answer on that with the transfer portal and the 2023 class - specifically with how many top portal guys we get where there is a big need and with how many top 150 area recruits we sign.

How does buying a Gator t-shirt going to help NIL? Please explain. The administration cannot give money to players or broker NIL deals. It has to come outside of the school.

What is the deal with us having a director of NIL - just to make sure deals are legal or do they coordinate with something like the Gator collective and/or boosters to try and outbid others even if it's not technically doing that on paper?

What is the deal with us having a director of NIL - just to make sure deals are legal or do they coordinate with something like the Gator collective and/or boosters to try and outbid others even if it's not technically doing that on paper?
Both and I think Darren Heitner also is responsible for legal.

NIL is a gold rush right now. Boosters are throwing money at recruits thinking this is the way to buy titles. But no matter how much money they spend, there aren't any more wins. Still just one team per game. And still the same number of champions, just one each year (shut up UCF). I wonder how many boosters, after increasing their donations 10 fold, 20 fold, or more, and seeing their team do pretty much the same as they always have, are going to realize they are getting little return on investment. I don't think this is going to be a game for millionaires for very long. When you are worth 20M, and the school wants you to go from giving 50K to 500K, that's just not going to fly for long. This may ultimately become a game for the billionaires. So which schools have billionaire alumni that care about college sports enough to give away their money?

Those are the schools that are going to, in the short run, rise to the top. However, billionaires like to be in control, so I don't think it will be long before the big schools split out some or all of the sports into a separate corporation, and the school is only providing the name for a fee.

It will be truly interesting to see where this all leads. But one thing is for sure, the days of the Bammers, UGalys, Bucknuts, etc of the world thumbing their nose at the rules are over. Largely because there aren't any rules anymore.

NIL is a gold rush right now. Boosters are throwing money at recruits thinking this is the way to buy titles. But no matter how much money they spend, there aren't any more wins. Still just one team per game. And still the same number of champions, just one each year (shut up UCF). I wonder how many boosters, after increasing their donations 10 fold, 20 fold, or more, and seeing their team do pretty much the same as they always have, are going to realize they are getting little return on investment. I don't think this is going to be a game for millionaires for very long. When you are worth 20M, and the school wants you to go from giving 50K to 500K, that's just not going to fly for long. This may ultimately become a game for the billionaires. So which schools have billionaire alumni that care about college sports enough to give away their money?

Those are the schools that are going to, in the short run, rise to the top. However, billionaires like to be in control, so I don't think it will be long before the big schools split out some or all of the sports into a separate corporation, and the school is only providing the name for a fee.

It will be truly interesting to see where this all leads. But one thing is for sure, the days of the Bammers, UGalys, Bucknuts, etc of the world thumbing their nose at the rules are over. Largely because there aren't any rules anymore.

3 years. They'll invest in the current model for that at max to see what their return is.

The system will correct itself.

Its hard to say and though not at this level some boosters were already buying top players with no real monetary returns for them at places like Bama and Georgia and its worked out great for Bama and finally got Georgia a national championship.

Not sure how A&M came out so strong last recruiting class with this after not having a reputation of doing that illegal paying big time like others such as Bama and them.

A&M and Texas would be the 2 teams to watch and see how quickly this strategy could pay off for the really rich boosters. It should likely start kicking in for the 2023 season as those guys would be 2nd year players fighting for starting spots then.

The non-rich fans also will come into play a little bit with things like the Gator collective etc. helping to fund some deals.

four-star quarterback Eli Holstein will visit the Swamp on Wednesday.

The Zachary, Louisiana, native is ranked as the 54th best player overall and as the eighth-best quarterback prospect, according to the 247Sports composite rankings.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/19/florida-football-recruiting-eli-holstein-visit/

I like Holstein's size - 6-4, 220. We have struck out on all the other top 2023 QBs; hopefully Napier's Louisiance background helps him to land this one.

Scott Holstein, Eli’s father, punted at LSU in the early 1990s and was a teammate of Gators’ defensive backs coach Corey Raymond.

Its hard to say and though not at this level some boosters were already buying top players with no real monetary returns for them at places like Bama and Georgia and its worked out great for Bama and finally got Georgia a national championship.

Not sure how A&M came out so strong last recruiting class with this after not having a reputation of doing that illegal paying big time like others such as Bama and them.

A&M and Texas would be the 2 teams to watch and see how quickly this strategy could pay off for the really rich boosters. It should likely start kicking in for the 2023 season as those guys would be 2nd year players fighting for starting spots then.

The non-rich fans also will come into play a little bit with things like the Gator collective etc. helping to fund some deals.
The way I see it, NIL has increased the number of bidders in the bidding war. When it was just a couple, Bama could offer (just making up numbers here) 25K to a player and he was glad to get it. Now that player has a dozen cash offers and is looking at 100K. Bammer boosters will start squawking if they triple their donations and then watch Bammer finish #7 in recruiting.

Florida Gators QB Carlos Del Rio-Wilson Entering Transfer Portal​

Florida Gators redshirt freshman quarterback Carlos Del Rio-Wilson plans to enter the transfer portal, according to Gators Online of On3Sports.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...arlos-del-rio-wilson-entering-trabsfer-portal

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/del-rio-wilson-to-reportedly-enter-transfer-portal/

Not sure how much opportunity Del Rio-Wilson & Kitna got in the Spring Game. Neither one made the box scores.

Every OSU transfer QB is not Gold; Miller didn't impress; his offense held scoreless; his stats non-existent. Not sure he is a keeper.

Obviously, other than AR-15, Napier was not impressed by the QB room he inherited.

He grabbed Miller as a semi-experienced backup because of AR-15's injury problems.

Not sure how long Kitna will stay; now that Del Rio-Wilson is gone, he may go too.
Probable that Miller transfers out after this season.

Thoughts below come from an Excellent article By David Wunderlich on Napier's terminology.
https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/an-initial-glossary-of-billy-napiers-florida-football-program/

Napier has talked about needing to “begin with the end in mind”.

In a football context, it means he’s got a clear vision of what he thinks a championship program looks like, and he’s working to reach that vision. He will adapt to immediate realities as needed, but that vision is his north star.

Napier knows exactly what he wants (in a QB & all other players).
Getting there is hard, but the goal is clear.

“it takes what it takes”

We are over the 85 limit & as several observers have pointed out, the spring practice, exit interviews, will be painful for numerous players currently here on scholarship.

Not sure if immediately filling the roster back up via the transfer portal is the way to go.

Might be better to hold the schollies open & issue them to walk-ons for the short term until the next signing class.

If, I understand Early Entry Count Back Math correctly, if 5 or 6 recruits qualify academically for EE, Napier could probably sign 30 players in 2023 if he saves the scholarships.

Last edited:

Florida Gators QB Carlos Del Rio-Wilson Entering Transfer Portal​

Florida Gators redshirt freshman quarterback Carlos Del Rio-Wilson plans to enter the transfer portal, according to Gators Online of On3Sports.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...arlos-del-rio-wilson-entering-trabsfer-portal

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/del-rio-wilson-to-reportedly-enter-transfer-portal/

Not sure how much opportunity Del Rio-Wilson & Kitna got in the Spring Game. Neither one made the box scores.

Every OSU transfer QB is not Gold; Miller didn't impress; his offense held scoreless; his stats non-existent. Not sure he is a keeper.

IMO, Napier not impressed by the QB room he inherited.

He grabbed Miller as a semi-experienced backup because of AR-15's injury problems.

Not sure how long Kitna will stay; now that Del Rio-Wilson is gone, he may go too.
Probable that Miller transfers out after this season.

Napier has talked about needing to “begin with the end in mind”.

In a football context, it means he’s got a clear vision of what he thinks a championship program looks like, and he’s working to reach that vision. He will adapt to immediate realities as needed, but that vision is his north star.

Napier knows exactly what he wants (in a QB). Getting there is hard, but the goal is clear.

“it takes what it takes”
We are over the 85 limit & as several observers have pointed out, the spring practice exit interviews will be painful for numerous players currently here on the roster.

Not sure if immediately filling the roster back up via the transfer portal is the way to go.
Might be better to hold the schollies open & issue them to walk-ons for the short term until the next signing class.

Excellent article By David Wunderlich on Napier's terminology.
https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/an-initial-glossary-of-billy-napiers-florida-football-program/

He said he wants quite a few portal guys but I doubt he takes ones that he doesn't think can at least be 2nd string here. Kind of crazy we haven't heard more rumors about the portal guys who may be looking to come here.

As far as QB maybe Miller is better than what he showed but just going by the spring game we may be in trouble if AR15 goes down. I think we need a talented QB like AR15 to score enough points with these skill guys we have on offense. The starters aren't bad but don't appear to be good enough to make a QB look better than he actually is either.

On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Alabama big leader for Eli Holstein​

Even though he was on an unofficial visit with the Florida Gators on Wednesday, there’s been a significant shift in the race to land four-star quarterback Eli Holstein out of Zachary (La.) High.

According to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine, the Alabama Crimson Tide now has a commanding lead in the battle to land Holstein. Alabama has an 81.3% chance of landing Holstein ahead of Texas A&M at 12.1% and Florida at 2.8%.

Alabama’s major move to the top spot with Eli Holstein is a big development, especially since it comes at the same time that Texas has taken over as the leader in the recruitment of No. 1 recruit and Five-Star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning. The Longhorns now have a 38.1% chance of landing Manning, while Alabama fell to 27.2% with Manning.

https://www.on3.com/news/on3-recruiting-prediction-machine-alabama-big-leader-for-eli-holstein/

Gator program currently doesn't have what it takes to romance / sign a 5* QB.

Napier needs to focus on developing AR-15 & Max Brown & the lines of scrimmage instead of chasing after other 2023 QBs.

Last edited:
After you listen to this Adam Gorney interview with Eli Holstein, you will realize that Napier & the Gators have NO chance at signing him !

According to Holstein, Saban & Bama's record of success - defined as developing QBs & getting them drafted in the 1st Round of NFL Draft, is so far beyond any other coach / team, that going anywhere else if Saban calls you is unthinkable !

If you don't believe this - LISTEN to the Vid !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT