ADVERTISEMENT

Gators Basketball NCAA Tourney Bound

I will be real happy if we can make the Sweet 16 this year.

That's what I projected at the start of the season, but I thought that they would have either Egbunu or Stokes, maybe both back by Jan/Feb.
So far, Mike and the team have been out-doing themselves in my book. :cool:

That's what I projected at the start of the season, but I thought that they would have either Egbunu or Stokes, maybe both back by Jan/Feb.
So far, Mike and the team have been out-doing themselves in my book. :cool:

I think everyone understands that losing those two obviously limited our ability to matchup against larger teams very well and would cause us to struggle in the paint.

Most people take issue with the inconsistency of this team, specifically in the second half of games where we have pretty good leads.

Why?

Because it appears that White is slowing down the offense and we get out of rhythm and suddenly go 8 minutes with only one basket.

It’s second half collapses that have poor coaching written all over them that frustrates people and makes them raise an eyebrow.

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

Not having those 2 big men, obviously limited the team a lot. But what I've seen is that too many games, or stretches during games, when they simply take stupid shots. And after they miss a few they get lazy on defense. When they play defense with intensity they look very good and end up with easier shots on the other end. But in the games we've lost to lesser teams, I agree with Danny. The coach's decision to slow the game down in the 2nd half after building nice 1st half leads has killed them. It takes their momentum away and they get lazy on both ends. I still think Mike White is a solid coach who has a chance to be excellent. He did a great job last year, IMO. But this year he tried and failed on those 2nd half slowdowns, got burned and just keeps doing it over and over and they've lost those 1st half leads and the games almost every time. At times this team looks almost unbeatable. Other times they look confused, totally out of synq and really bad. The ultimate blame has to fall on the coach.

I think everyone understands that losing those two obviously limited our ability to matchup against larger teams very well and would cause us to struggle in the paint.

Most people take issue with the inconsistency of this team, specifically in the second half of games where we have pretty good leads.

Why?

Because it appears that White is slowing down the offense and we get out of rhythm and suddenly go 8 minutes with only one basket.

It’s second half collapses that have poor coaching written all over them that frustrates people and makes them raise an eyebrow.

Yep White drives me crazy with that slow down stuff. This team needs to stay on the gas pedal most times.

Davidson beating Rhode Island just took a spot from someone. Hopefully FSU but it will probably be someone else.

Not having those 2 big men, obviously limited the team a lot. But what I've seen is that too many games, or stretches during games, when they simply take stupid shots. And after they miss a few they get lazy on defense. When they play defense with intensity they look very good and end up with easier shots on the other end. But in the games we've lost to lesser teams, I agree with Danny. The coach's decision to slow the game down in the 2nd half after building nice 1st half leads has killed them. It takes their momentum away and they get lazy on both ends. I still think Mike White is a solid coach who has a chance to be excellent. He did a great job last year, IMO. But this year he tried and failed on those 2nd half slowdowns, got burned and just keeps doing it over and over and they've lost those 1st half leads and the games almost every time. At times this team looks almost unbeatable. Other times they look confused, totally out of synq and really bad. The ultimate blame has to fall on the coach.

Yep White drives me crazy with that slow down stuff. This team needs to stay on the gas pedal most times.

And I really don’t understand it. White has to know that it’s killing us and I keep waiting for him to adjust.

It reminds me A LOT of Muschamp going into ground and pound mode in the second half with a lead. The only thing I can reason is that he doesn’t think that slowing down the offense is the reason for what’s happening in the second half. And maybe he’s doing that because we don’t have the size...but man you would expect at some point he would try something different.

And I really don’t understand it. White has to know that it’s killing us and I keep waiting for him to adjust.

It reminds me A LOT of Muschamp going into ground and pound mode in the second half with a lead. The only thing I can reason is that he doesn’t think that slowing down the offense is the reason for what’s happening in the second half. And maybe he’s doing that because we don’t have the size...but man you would expect at some point he would try something different.
He might be concerned about our depth, not realizing he should put the game away early in the second half. I don't know, but whenever you have the opponent in a confused state I would not slow down the pace. Let them burn their timeouts if they want a break.

Looking at the Brackets you really can't complain. I could see another Elite 8 run but I haven't watched Purdue this year.

91CojPTqKjL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: MJWilliamson
I say the big deal is that the Mike/Gators are in the Big Dance again. :cool:
NIT - Elight-Eight / SEC CoY - Dancing Again
After that, any team that can go 6-0 is the National Champ. ;)
(feel free to compare that to BillyD's 1st 3 Gator seasons)

And Mike has done it this year without C Egbunu - PF/C Stokes - PF/SF Johnson. How good could they have been if both Egbunu and Stokes in particular had recovered from their ACL's and played? o_O

There is zero promise for the future right now from White, his teams look exactly as the same every game with what they are bad at and never fix it. No matter how many games in a row they keep doing the same negative things, that is signs of bad coaching.

I have said for over a month or more now and week after week they just keep showing what they are, and that I expect them to lose in the first round no matter who they play. The same every game in the 2nd half and out coached, everyone knows no matter what the score is in the first half they will have a 10 plus possession brick fest drought every game. Like mac and the football team doing nothing to change the miserable offense game after game, week after week and year after year. There's nothing to look forward to going ahead forward for UF basketball to have any faith in. He's been out coached by the worst coaches the conference has to offer that don't even have jobs anymore.

I also watched the 2011 teams tournament games earlier this week, and I was thinking that somehow they always pair us with UCLA.. and then I thought if they do it again this year, it's finally time for Bruins to get payback after four losses. This is the team to break all the streaks in the tournament, first team to get dropped in first round in 8 years, and the first in all those tournaments since 06 outside of the 2010 season not to make it at least to the Elite Eight or Final Four all those years in the Tournament.

If anyone has confidence in this team doing anything next week, then its either false fake hope or they haven't watched this team lose every game the exact same way with bad coaching and a team full of launch clankers that panic in anything remotely close to a tight game. If the games in the balance, well, we all know.

The last time we were a 6th seed was in 1999. Billy Donovan's first time coaching in the NCAA Tournament. We made it to the Sweet Sixteen, beating Pennsylvania and Weber State before losing to Gonzaga. In 1988 we were a a 6th seed and made it to the round of 32. This the year after the 6th seeded Gators made it to its first sweet sixteen in in 1987.

So, 6th seed three times, with a record of 5-3

Reactions: rdgtr
Looking at the Brackets you really can't complain. I could see another Elite 8 run but I haven't watched Purdue this year.

For a month or so this year, Purdue looked like the best team in the country. Effectively, teams were double-teaming their massive bigs which allowed for a ton of open looks from 3. Starting around the 2nd half of the Big Ten season, though, teams figured out how to make them less formidable (but still really good).

Izzo decided to not double team and force Haas to beat them, which he almost did, but that strategy dramatically slowed what made Purdue so dangerous at their peak. Since then, everyone has been playing Purdue that way and, frankly, Haas is a bit soft and not the type of premier big man who could win a championship. They'd be a really tough out (if both UF and Purdue got there), but I think we could give them a fight if we defended the perimeter.

Could somebody give me a link to any interview where White says that he slows down the offense in the 2nd half when they have a lead?

My own ignorant perspective in action:
~ White's 1st 3 season results, compared to BillyD's 1st 3 seasons?

~ 2017-18 - Without Egbunu - Stokes - Johnson :oops:
Any season - BillyD without Noah - Richards - Brewer???? :confused:

Those are just some of my own clueless/foggy musings....
:cool:
=========

And now, 'Just the facts ma'am.' o_O

Mike White is now just the 2nd active SEC head coach to earn an NCAA Tournament bid in 2 of their first 3 seasons. He’s the 1st in UF history to do so. :eek:

~ Cal-Cheat is 3-3 vs. UF teams coached by White, who has beaten the Cats in 3 of their last 4 games.
~ The Mike White 2017-18 undermanned Gators have 10 "Quadrant 1 wins, which are tied with N.C. for 2nd-most Nationally, Kansas has 11. :cool:

1st year he takes the previous season's 16 win loser team to a 20 win NIT.
2nd year he takes them to an Elite-8 as the SEC CoY.
3rd year, without Egbunu-Stokes-Johnson, he takes them back to the Big Dance again...
(now, where did all of those White 'haters' disappear off to?) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is zero promise for the future right now from White, his teams look exactly as the same every game with what they are bad at and never fix it. No matter how many games in a row they keep doing the same negative things, that is signs of bad coaching.

I have said for over a month or more now and week after week they just keep showing what they are, and that I expect them to lose in the first round no matter who they play. The same every game in the 2nd half and out coached, everyone knows no matter what the score is in the first half they will have a 10 plus possession brick fest drought every game. Like mac and the football team doing nothing to change the miserable offense game after game, week after week and year after year. There's nothing to look forward to going ahead forward for UF basketball to have any faith in. He's been out coached by the worst coaches the conference has to offer that don't even have jobs anymore.

You realize this is a team that won 20 games without ANY big men, right?

The bad sign was they were hitting plenty of 3's last game and they still got pretty much owned overall. The defense and especially rebounding is so bad, teams just keep getting shots up until they get a tip in or tap out for 3 ball on about their 4th attempt offensively in one possession.

And I never had any doubt we would get invited to the NCAA Tournament!
We all had total faith in this team, I know I did after the Vanderbilt loss and Alabama blowout at home.

What could have been without those freaking injuries. I love people saying UCLA or St. Bonaventure will beat us. Prove them wrong boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT