ADVERTISEMENT

Gators Basketball NCAA Tourney Bound

PlutoDroid

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 16, 2015
After thrashing Kentucky, and sweeping the season series, Florida has clinched the three seed in the SEC tourney. A double bye which will help us in the tournament that begins in St. Louis next week. 21-11 (11-7).

How high of a seed is the only question now.

Reactions: sadgator
After thrashing Kentucky, and sweeping the season series, Florida has clinched the three seed in the SEC tourney. A double bye which will help us in the tournament that begins in St. Louis next week. 21-11 (11-7).

How high of a seed is the only question now.

I think we are locked in to at least a 6 seed probably even if we lost our first SEC tourney game.

If we win the conference tournament I think we could get as high as a four, although that may be to high considering our league isn't that highly regarded.

Funny how everybody slobbers over the Big 12 though.

If we win the conference tournament I think we could get as high as a four, although that may be to high considering our league isn't that highly regarded.

Funny how everybody slobbers over the Big 12 though.

Yeah, some of the basketball gurus I know think that Florida is locked for a 4 if we win the SECT (unless skenweird things happen).

And I love how they’re talking about “is Oklahoma on the bubble?” That team should firmly be on the bubble and out unless they do some serious work in their tournament.

All they have is toddler hair and he’s a mess.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Yeah, some of the basketball gurus I know think that Florida is locked for a 4 if we win the SECT (unless skenweird things happen).

And I love how they’re talking about “is Oklahoma on the bubble?” That team should firmly be on the bubble and out unless they do some serious work in their tournament.

All they have is toddler hair and he’s a mess.
Just think about the fact that 80 percent of the Big 12 could get into the tournament. Outside of Kansas, who else is a viable contender. I just don't see Oklahoma, Texas Tech, West Virginia or anybody else being that great. 8-10 in conference and they should be considered safely in?

All I see is a bunch of evenly matched aberage teams beating each other. As inconsistent as we have been, I think we would finish with at least a 9-9 record in that conference.

Just think about the fact that 80 percent of the Big 12 could get into the tournament. Outside of Kansas, who else is a viable contender. I just don't see Oklahoma, Texas Tech, West Virginia or anybody else being that great. 8-10 in conference and they should be considered safely in?

All I see is a bunch of evenly matched aberage teams beating each other. As inconsistent as we have been, I think we would finish with at least a 9-9 record in that conference.

I agree. And my buddy is a big Kansas fan and their game right now is ugly.

Oklahoma is a one trick pony with a turnover machine as their pony.

I’m concerned about a rematch with Auburn. They started off 3-20 and down big and came back pretty big, whereas Florida once again had a big lead, slowed it down, and did our damndest for a good stretch to give it up.

Don’t get me wrong. Huge win for us today, but damnit if we didn’t show the same bizarre habits in the second half that we’re known to do.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator

I’m concerned about a rematch with Auburn. They started off 3-20 and down big and came back pretty big, whereas Florida once again had a big lead, slowed it down, and did our damndest for a good stretch to give it up.

Don’t get me wrong. Huge win for us today, but damnit if we didn’t show the same bizarre habits in the second half that we’re known to do.
I wouldn't be shocked if Vanderbilt beat us in the conference tournament. Then we go on a run in the NCAA tourney.

Streaky shooters, sometimes the offense runs the full set and gets great shots. Sometimes our guys turn it over way too easily or just jack up ill conceived threes way too early.

I wouldn't be shocked if we blew the doors off everyone and win the conference tourney, only to get bounced by a twelve seed in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

I am just hoping to enjoy this postseason. I have no idea what is going to happen, I doubt our coach does either. Heres to betting on the powerball.

Hasn't Kansas won like 12 straight conference titles?

Anything can happen in the SECT. This is the deepest, most balanced the SEC has been in as long as I can remember. And I'm old and remember a lot!! The NCAA tourney is all about match-ups. If we run up against a team that has a strong inside game, we're in trouble. But if we play together, play smart on defense and hit a decent percentage of our outside shots, we can play with and beat anybody. We are also capable of losing to just about anybody.

In the Big Dance, just as I said at the beginning of the season... ;)

Defense is the real key, and the entire team seems to have finally realized that what Mike has been preaching/teaching all season, is in fact the basis for them winning their games. o_O

And as long as just 1-2 of them have a good day shooting, with the solid defense they are playing now, they might make it to the Sweet 16.
After that, it's whichever team gets hot the rest of the way.

I based Dance prediction on getting at least Big John back by no later than early Feb, hopefully by middle to late Jan. That didn't happen. Also, Stokes has not become available either. IMOHO, the rest of the team has actually out-done themselves without any real big men in the post.
============

Hayes seems to have regressed since last year. Dumb fouls are eating up his playing minutes. What the heck has happened to him, did he get a hot new girlfriend or sumptin? :rolleyes: He reminds me of JJ's Soph slump. But JJ came back strong in his Jr season, and now even stronger in his Sr season, so maybe Hayes can too... (iG crosses his fingers)

I like Gak as a student/athlete and as a person. That said, his only skill seems to be, being 6-11. Not being mean, just sayin.... :cool:
He's like the big goofy kid in Jr High that is the center on the team, only because he's the tallest kid on the court. He has weak slippery hands. He can't jump as high as the 6-6 forwards, or sometimes even the guards. He often looks lost and he gets pushed around by everyone on the other team. IMO, he desperately needs both agility training and some serious work in the weight room. I hope he does those things between now and the start of next season, because I really do wish him well. If not, then he better study real hard and get a good UF Degree, because like he is now, I don't think that he'll ever play in the NBA.

Last edited:
I guess Palm at CBS really doesn't like us. He now has us only a 7 seed and KY a 5 seed after that game. I have a feeling all the others will have us a 5 or 6 seed right now.

I guess Palm at CBS really doesn't like us. He now has us only a 7 seed and KY a 5 seed after that game. I have a feeling all the others will have us a 5 or 6 seed right now.
Lunardi is generally better, he has us as a 6. I don't see us falling lower with a sweep of Kentucky( the latter being by blowout), and wins over Cincy and Gonzaga.

Hudson and the Russian were awesome today...they are coming on at just the right moment...such a great way to end.

Chris Chiozza ---- 9 Pts, 4 Asts, 3 Rbs, 1 Stl.
KeVaughn Allen -- 11 Pts, 7 Asts, 7 Rbs, 3 Stls
~ Allen ended the 1st half again with a 3-ball.
Combined - 20 Pts, 11 Asts, 10 Rbs, 4 Stls.

Jalen Hudson ---- 22 Pts, 1 Ast, 1 Rb, 2 Stls.
Egor Koulechov - 16 Pts, 3 Rbs.
Combined - 36 Pts, 1 Ast, 4 Rbs, 2 Stls.

* All Eight Gators that checked in the game scored, the other 4 combined for 22 pts.

It obviously takes an awesome TEAM working together, to get to where you want to be. :cool:

Chris Chiozza ---- 9 Pts, 4 Asts, 3 Rbs, 1 Stl.
KeVaughn Allen -- 11 Pts, 7 Asts, 7 Rbs, 3 Stls
~ Allen ended the 1st half again with a 3-ball.
Combined - 20 Pts, 11 Asts, 10 Rbs, 4 Stls.

Jalen Hudson ---- 22 Pts, 1 Ast, 1 Rb, 2 Stls.
Egor Koulechov - 16 Pts, 3 Rbs.
Combined - 36 Pts, 1 Ast, 4 Rbs, 2 Stls.

* All Eight Gators that checked in the game scored, the other 4 combined for 22 pts.

It obviously takes an awesome TEAM working together, to get to where you want to be. :cool:

Yep, and Hudson and Egor had great scoring games especially at the right moments in the second half.

They deserve recognition for that.

How in the absolute hell is kentucky still not only a 5 seed, but better seeded than UF? They certainly don't have more top "quadrant 1" wins than Florida.. and of course after getting swept by them and whipped just yesterday.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Just keep winning...
f0e22d39145f1b9cfe9bbabf7ce16edda111045e75ef0f343ff69aabfa397d1b.jpg

Reactions: PlutoDroid
This team is very streaky, if they're cold they could lose to anyone, if they're on they could beat anyone. With that said, they seem to be playing a bit more effectively defensively, which will mitigate that somewhat, but not even close to entirely.

One of the things that sparked this recent 3 game winning streak was giving Basset(he really helped with interior defense, Achilles heal for this team), Okauru, and Ballard significantly more minutes. Basset is likely out for the rest of the year, so that's a concern.

But again if this team shoots well and can get some steals and transition baskets they can play with anyone, so let's hope that happens.

One of the things that sparked this recent 3 game winning streak was giving Basset (he really helped with interior defense, Achilles heal for this team), Okauru, and Ballard significantly more minutes. Basset is likely out for the rest of the year, so that's a concern.

But again if this team shoots well and can get some steals and transition baskets they can play with anyone, so let's hope that happens.

Bassett went out vs Bama with a concussion (only played 5 Mins). How bad was it?
He DNP vs Kensucky. (last 3 games?)

Concussion protocols are usually only 1 week, unless it was really severe.
I doubt he's back for the SEC-T, but he very well could be for the Dance.
Any return update on him would be appreciated by all I'm guessing....

#23 UF 20-11, 11-7 SEC. while knocking then #23 kensucky out of the Top 25.
A Top 25 Finish to the regular season, with a #3 Seed for the SEC-T in White's 3rd year.

Note: ESPN projects UF as an NCAA #5 Seed.

FSU could get left out of the tourney now. Louisville probably moved just ahead of them and if a few more teams work their way in FSU will miss the tourney.

White has an opportunity to silence a little of the criticism from the last two months in the next two weeks..

but, this team is by far the most unpredictable that's been at UF by tournament time since maybe the 01 to 03 teams that had talent but were more finesse oriented and got dropped early in tournaments.. and never quite got to their full potential.

I hope for the best this year, this week and if we are lucky the next few weeks. But my gut tells me this is one of those first weekend knock outs for the first time since 2010.

FSU could get left out of the tourney now. Louisville probably moved just ahead of them and if a few more teams work their way in FSU will miss the tourney.
Yea but they beat the Gators, so it is all good.

Last edited:
White has an opportunity to silence a little of the criticism from the last two months in the next two weeks..

but, this team is by far the most unpredictable that's been at UF by tournament time since maybe the 01 to 03 teams that had talent but were more finesse oriented and got dropped early in tournaments.. and never quite got to their full potential.

I hope for the best this year, this week and if we are lucky the next few weeks. But my gut tells me this is one of those first weekend knock outs for the first time since 2010.

Mike White doesn't need to worry about that, two tournament berths in two seasons with an elite 8 under his belt. He's doing as well as anyone could possibly have hoped for. I know i didn't expect the past two years after Donovan's last season and resignation. The guy is a very good young coach.

Most places think we will get a # 6 seed in the East and maybe playing Michigan or Michigan State if we win that first game.

I say the big deal is that the Mike/Gators are in the Big Dance again. :cool:
NIT - Elight-Eight / SEC CoY - Dancing Again
After that, any team that can go 6-0 is the National Champ. ;)
(feel free to compare that to BillyD's 1st 3 Gator seasons)

And Mike has done it this year without C Egbunu - PF/C Stokes - PF/SF Johnson. How good could they have been if both Egbunu and Stokes in particular had recovered from their ACL's and played? o_O

ADVERTISEMENT