ADVERTISEMENT

FOURTH CONSECUTIVE LOSING SEASON FOR HOLES!!’

As funny as today’s development may be for F$U, it is a growing problem to which one day there will be no solution.

You can recruit a player for years, he flips at the last second, and you can simply blame it on “the other school paid him more” but now that corporations are involved in that paying how can you battle that as a coach? How can you prevent a certain someone with deep pockets from swooping in and undoing hundreds of hours of hard work? By recruiting players of character? Hell everyone has a price. This kid said it himself playing for F$U was a dream but he must let go of that childhood dream because adult money came calling.

I will forever be a UF fan, but NIL and the portal have pretty much killed my excitement for college sports.

As funny as today’s development may be for F$U, it is a growing problem to which one day there will be no solution.

You can recruit a player for years, he flips at the last second, and you can simply blame it on “the other school paid him more” but now that corporations are involved in that paying how can you battle that as a coach? How can you prevent a certain someone with deep pockets from swooping in and undoing hundreds of hours of hard work? By recruiting players of character? Hell everyone has a price. This kid said it himself playing for F$U was a dream but he must let go of that childhood dream because adult money came calling.

I will forever be a UF fan, but NIL and the portal have pretty much killed my excitement for college sports.
Yes agreed

Reactions: fsu939913

That OSU QB kid milked the system...went to OSU to get $$$, then transferred to the school he wanted to. While I understand NIL, it's killing this sport. A 5-star athlete just went to a bottom-feeder school for $$$. Let that sink in. Yes, it's a HUGE blow to FSU (worse than losing to JSU, IMO), the implications of it will promulgate throughout all of college football.

tumblr_ptui4u01y31r2pp2to1_500.gif
While my post was pretty much tongue and cheek (you know...winning the recruiting battle, but still sucking during the regular season), FSU is still out recruiting UF and scUM. We'll see how it all plays out by Feb.

Losing Hunter sucks, though (see above post).

• Haha
Reactions: PacoGator19
That OSU QB kid milked the system...went to OSU to get $$$, then transferred to the school he wanted to. While I understand NIL, it's killing this sport. A 5-star athlete just went to a bottom-feeder school for $$$. Let that sink in. Yes, it's a HUGE blow to FSU (worse than losing to JSU, IMO), the implications of it will promulgate throughout all of college football.

Agree 100%.

It would have been very courageous to sign with an HBCU with no NIL deal involved. This kid wasn’t recruited, convinced, or courageous of anything. He was straight up sold. But hey in the age of NIL everyone has the right to get what is theirs.

He will now dominate inferior competition. May not even make the NFL.

Another point is that a lot of these NIL deals won’t pan out for the reasons players don’t pan out: injury, loss of desire, bad luck, etc. Investors will want to recoup lost investments, which means passing the costs on to consumers

In a decade a Gator game will take up 6 hours of my time and it will be mostly prima donna player infomercials and commercials for crap I neither need nor want.

While my post was pretty much tongue and cheek (you know...winning the recruiting battle, but still sucking during the regular season), FSU is still out recruiting UF and scUM. We'll see how it all plays out by Feb.

Losing Hunter sucks, though (see above post).
It’s Norvell’s 3rd recruiting class and UFs and Miami’s transition class. Not an apples to apples comparison at all. Norvell’s bump class wasn’t very good and it looks like he came up short on his 3rd class. I would hope you know better than that.

It’s Norvell’s 3rd recruiting class and UFs and Miami’s transition class. Not an apples to apples comparison at all. Norvell’s bump class wasn’t very good and it looks like he came up short on his 3rd class. I would hope you know better than that.

As much as I rag on the Holes, how did Norvil fail here? He put in the work only to be outdone by a corporation. Deion doesn’t pull this off without Barstool Sports.

Coaches will now become brokers for corporations.

As much as I rag on the Holes, how did Norvil fail here? He put in the work only to be outdone by a corporation. Deion doesn’t pull this off without Barstool Sports.

Coaches will now become brokers for corporations.
I’m not blaming the Hunter deal on Norvell. I believe FSU had some other misses today that were unexpected and his class didn’t fill a lot of needs. For it being his 3rd class it is pretty average by National standards, although a good class for the ACC. Don’t forget his bump class was pretty bad as well.

I’m not blaming the Hunter deal on Norvell. I believe FSU had some other misses today that were unexpected and his class didn’t fill a lot of needs. For it being his 3rd class it is pretty average by National standards, although a good class for the ACC. Don’t forget his bump class was pretty bad as well.

Some truth there but also how do we know some of their misses aren’t due to NIL? No one expected the #1 class after going 5-7 but this kid who signed with Deion was solid to F$U all through the process……until today.

I kind of think what will happen will be schools lining up with sponsors like this ASAP, or some kind of limitation being put on it, like they do with a luxury tax in the MLB or something along those lines to try and keep things from getting too out of hand. Otherwise yeah, jump on that Disney train and get guys their own reality show on ESPN.

I don't think the (currently) #11 class is coming up short; especially coming off a 5-7 season. Now, if he goes sub .500 again next year, recruiting will take a huge hit. I'm sure the selling point is immediate starting opportunities.

Some truth there but also how do we know some of their misses aren’t due to NIL? No one expected the #1 class after going 5-7 but this kid who signed with Deion was solid to F$U all through the process……until today.
Unfortunately NIL is a part of the game now. It is what it is. In some instances it may not even matter how good of a recruiter you are now. Unfortunately for FSU it worked against them and Norvell’s bump class was bad and his 3rd class didn’t meet expectations either (missed needs).

• Sad
Reactions: alaskanseminole
Unfortunately NIL is a part of the game now. It is what it is. In some instances it may not even matter how good of a recruiter you are now. Unfortunately for FSU it worked against them and Norvell’s bump class was bad and his 3rd class didn’t meet expectations either (missed needs).
Hunter was the biggest miss, but great pic ups in needed positions like QB (Duffy--unsigned), OL (Early & Sapp), & Secondary (McCall-5 star in other sources). Azareyeh Thomas was a solid pick-up too.

Biggest holes are WR & LB, IMO. We need big-time playmakers at both positions. Mortimer was a good get, but he's tiny at 5'9". Hopefully that 4-star kid CMN picked up last year can be a deep impact next season...kid's 6'5".

EDIT: Duffy just signed. Whew.

• Haha
Hunter was the biggest miss, but great pic ups in needed positions like QB (Duffy--unsigned), OL (Early & Sapp), & Secondary (McCall-5 star in other sources). Azareyeh Thomas was a solid pick-up too.

Biggest holes are WR & LB, IMO. We need big-time playmakers at both positions. Mortimer was a good get, but he's tiny at 5'9". Hopefully that 4-star kid CMN picked up last year can be a deep impact next season...kid's 6'5".

EDIT: Duffy just signed. Whew.
LOL. You aren’t paying much attention to recruiting I guess. Mortimer flipped from FSU to Louisville. FSU whiffed big time at WR and LBer.

PS - I could be wrong but Duffy sucks and just handed the ball off.

• Wow
Reactions: gatordad3
LOL. You aren’t paying much attention to recruiting I guess. Mortimer flipped from FSU to Louisville. FSU whiffed big time at WR and LBer.

PS - I could be wrong but Duffy sucks and just handed the ball off.
No, I just saw it. I was on a conference call when he flipped to Louisville.

We can survive on WR with our current roster, but LB is hurting badly!

No, I just saw it. I was on a conference call when he flipped to Louisville.

We can survive on WR with our current roster, but LB is hurting badly!
Not sure if there is any truth to the rumor that McCall is already asking out of his LOI and FSU has told him to give it a few days to think about it.

Not sure if there is any truth to the rumor that McCall is already asking out of his LOI and FSU has told him to give it a few days to think about it.
Who knows. NIL is changing the game.

Hunter grabs the FSU hat and says "this is a real good team but I'm going to save that for later."
After what Quinn Ewers did, I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter his transfer portal. 5-star kid can't do all 4 years at an FCS school.

Who knows. NIL is changing the game.

After what Quinn Ewers did, I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter his transfer portal. 5-star kid can't do all 4 years at an FCS school.
The McCall rumor doesn’t have anything to do with NIL. He was close to Hunter and thought they would be teammates and now is unhappy that Hunter won’t be there and FSUs class kind of fell apart.

I agree. If a kid transfers after he was given or promised a NIL what happens to all that money they were given. Like what happened to the NIL Ewers was promised? Did he get some upfront payment?

Right, but from where...twitter feeds, friend of a friend convo...FB stalking...etc., Who's making the rumor claim? I know you didn't just make it up, that's not like you.
Friend of a friend. I didn’t make it up but to be fair I don’t know the validity of it either.

Norvell had classes ranked 22-22 and currently 17

And from this point forward he has Billy and Mario to deal with.

Still think the extension was silly.

And with NSD still to come in Feb, I am not sure F$U finishes as far ahead as they should with this being class 3 for Norvell and transition for the other two

This could be very concerning

Norvell had classes ranked 22-22 and currently 17

And from this point forward he has Billy and Mario to deal with.

Still think the extension was silly.

And with NSD still to come in Feb, I am not sure F$U finishes as far ahead as they should with this being class 3 for Norvell and transition for the other two

This could be very concerning
Terrible recruiting. Very Mullen like. He’s lucky he’s not in the SEC or he’d be out of a job. Billy and Mario are going to eat his lunch on the trail.

Reactions: CallmeKG
Terrible recruiting. Very Mullen like. He’s lucky he’s not in the SEC or he’d be out of a job. Billy and Mario are going to eat his lunch on the trail.

Problem is, even in the ACC they want you to be the top ACC dog in Florida and I think Mario will exceed his talent very shortly

Reactions: ih8f$u
Problem is, even in the ACC they want you to be the top ACC dog in Florida and I think Mario will exceed his talent very shortly
Yep agreed. Billy & Mario are going to put together a better staff than Norvell. Norvell has some dead weight on his staff.

Reactions: ih8f$u
Yep agreed. Billy & Mario are going to put together a better staff than Norvell. Norvell has some dead weight on his staff.

That is one thing I will give Billy, our staff thus far is young, energetic, hungry guys wanting to move up and one extremely elite coach. And those types are never dead weight.

get a Sale or Tosh and then keep with the energy.

And Mario is an elite recruiter and his OL coach is supposedly a huge St Thomas Aquinas guy.

Yeah, not ideal for Norvell

That is one thing I will give Billy, our staff thus far is young, energetic, hungry guys wanting to move up and one extremely elite coach. And those types are never dead weight.

get a Sale or Tosh and then keep with the energy.

And Mario is an elite recruiter and his OL coach is supposedly a huge St Thomas Aquinas guy.

Yeah, not ideal for Norvell
With everything that went down yesterday and if and when Norvell gets fired in a few years will FSU fans be wanting Prime Time and will all this be water under the bridge??

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT