ADVERTISEMENT

Florida @ Tenn

Napier's play calling is awful as usual, as are some of his in game decision making. Vols are not as good as their ranking. Feel horrible for Mertz. Career is over I afraid.

Reactions: NavigatorII
Well, @sadgator was almost right. I was surprised at the play and effort of our guys tonight. The game was lost in the first half and to me the loss came down to 2 things - Mertz going out for the game in the 3rd quarter and Billy Napier's consistently awful playcalling. I thought we would get blown out, but it actually should have been the other way around. We dominated them until midway through the 3rd quarter. But it seems Heupel made some adjustments, we didn't and then Lagway (or the coach) forgot about our tight ends, who Mertz had killed UT with, and kept trying to force it to the wide receivers. I was proud and pleased with the team's effort, but it's hard to overcome terrible play calling.

Last edited:
One major problem, Karl has never successfully converted a two point conversion.
He's got a lot more problems than needing just a little bit of gas. But I'd still take my chances with Lagway running around with a chance to run or pass. I knew this would end badly in overtime, because BILLY. :mad:

Napier's play calling is awful as usual, as are some of his in gamThise decision making. Vols are not as good as their ranking. Feel horrible for Mertz. Career is over I afraid.
I feel bad for both QBs. They didn't sign up for this shit. I feel bad for every Gator player (maybe not so much for the defensive backs). This team played their hearts out tonight and got let down by the coaches. (singular). Slingblade has got to go.

I agree 100% but the suffering would have swiftly ended.
That was my point exactly. You got a shot with one wild play. Have to script out a few more and Slingblade would tilt the scales to nearly zero, We had a 500% better chance winning the game on a lucky 2 point conversion than play out overtime. I was correct, as much as I hate that. We deserve a better coach than this. :mad:

I thought it was a "given" in football to go for the two point conversation at the end of the game if you're on the road....
I think that would be doubly true if facing a much higher ranked team.
I think it would be triple-ly true when your offense isn't that great. Coaching sucks balls.

I guess most people think Mertz probably messed up his ACL being that he had a knee brace on afterwards.
It really doesn't take a lot to screw that up, freak accidents happen. I slipped on wet tiles back in June, didn't fall on my knee cap or anything, just stretched tendons and ligaments in a weird way. I could barely walk for 2 weeks. It's still not 100%.

I would have tried for the 2 point conversion
Times eleventy. But given that this coaching staff calls the most bizarre plays when the chips are down, hard to have confidence in that. But with Lagway being a duel threat running or throwing, I'd like my chances no matter how shitty the play call might be. Napier put Lagway behind the chains so many times tonight Lagway threw a TD in that situation, but still, it's stupid.. Running up the gut twice and then making a freshman have to make laser precision throws on 3rd and long is just effing retarded. And he did it repeatedly.

2:30 mark
This loss is 100% on Billy. Four redzone trips and only 3 points to show for it. A competent coach wouldn’t run a jet sweep on 4th and inches. A competent coach would have put the 240lbs Lagway in for the sneak on the goal line. A competent coach would not have had 12 men on the field for the field goal to close the half. These issues are recurring failures under SunBelt Bill

sadgator will only say:

1. Some of you didn’t do what the oracle asked…and you know who you are….sadgator expects better next time….:mad:. When sadgator asks you to believe in the oracle…and sadgator doesn’t request it often…believe.

2. Criticize all you want, but the game plan was lights out. Defense was absolutely incredible and the pre-snap motion we were using on offense was mesmerizing. It is incredible that they were able to do that while making very few presnap mistakes in that environment. Florida was in a position to win, which few thought even remotely possible.

There's no reason to let this guy coach another game.. there is no upside to watch him lose to Kentucky for the fourth time in a row and in the Swamp again. It's over, cut him loose and take responsibility

Reactions: gatordad3
sadgator will only say:

1. Some of you didn’t do what the oracle asked…and you know who you are….sadgator expects better next time….:mad:. When sadgator asks you to believe in the oracle…and sadgator doesn’t request it often…believe.

2. Criticize all you want, but the game plan was lights out. Defense was absolutely incredible and the pre-snap motion we were using on offense was mesmerizing. It is incredible that they were able to do that while making very few presnap mistakes in that environment. Florida was in a position to win, which few thought even remotely possible.
Defense from the front 7 was incredible. Secondary sucked just as much as usual, we should have been burned for TDs TWICE but their QB sucks. Other than that, the Gators were on fire tonight. Sadly, their play caller was a POS, just par for the usual course. Billy set our guys up for failure in SPITE of their valiant attempt to steal a game from a better coached team. It is what it is. FIRE HIS ASS!

Holy shit that was tough to watch.

We had so many miscues. Such a shame because the defense came to play. Did we even have any defensive penalties?

Even if we somehow pulled off the win via 2 point or OT…Something is just MISSING from this team.

If Montrell and Mertz are out for a while, we are not looking good. We have CRAZY games ahead of us.

TEXAS IS GOING TO EMBARRASS UF.

Last edited:
Whatever you think of Billy this team fought to the bitter end. His play calling is suspect AT BEST. But there is no doubt a culture change is evident. We never got down despite multiple red zone failures. There is so much good in this man. I wish he would wise up a just hire an OC.

sadgator will only say:

The coach was even worse than usual this game.

There's no reason to let this guy coach another game.. there is no upside to watch him lose to Kentucky for the fourth time in a row and in the Swamp again. It's over, cut him loose and take responsibility

I was thinking a KY loss would probably get him fired after the game but I think the Lagway situation complicates that a little bit and they may let him stick around longer just because of that hoping there is a chance to keep Lagway with the next coach.

2:30 mark
This loss is 100% on Billy. Four redzone trips and only 3 points to show for it. A competent coach wouldn’t run a jet sweep on 4th and inches. A competent coach would have put the 240lbs Lagway in for the sneak on the goal line. A competent coach would not have had 12 men on the field for the field goal to close the half. These issues are recurring failures under SunBelt Bill
💯.

I hate to play the results, but be honest, Tennessee fans. When DJ Lagway threw the best pass of his young college career on a dart to Chimere Dike to make it a 17-16 game with 36 seconds left, the Vols were praying that the Gators would kick the PAT. And when Florida came out in a trick-play formation that didn’t fool Tennessee, only to then send out the kicking team, every Tennessee fan on planet Earth breathed a sigh of relief.

That’s the problem with that decision.

Napier had Tennessee dead to rights. One correct play call and he’d likely celebrate a road win against the top-10 Vols in a potential job-saving victory. But Napier opted to play it safe, and he watched his offense go in reverse in OT. You know how the rest went.

Sure, Napier could point to the struggles that Lagway had after stepping in for the injured Graham Mertz. Up until that NFL throw to Dike, it wasn’t a banner showing from Lagway. But at the same time, 1 play for all the marbles was a scenario that no Florida fan could’ve dreamed of as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Instead, the Gators let a golden opportunity slip away. There are no more victories in rivalry games. There are only defining moments. That felt like one. Tennessee — on a night in which it was shut out again for the second consecutive week — took advantage of that decision.

One can’t help but think that’ll haunt Napier.
"scared money dont make money" and yes Billy was scared

The Vols offense sucks balls. Their QB is major garbage and they'll be lucky finish 8-4. No way we played a team that's CFP material.

Just like last season, we looked good on defense against Tennessee then we make the remaining QB's look like Heisman candidates.

It's only going to get worse if Napier is still coaching next week.

I'll just let others do the talking.....

Wait, did Billy Napier just bait Tennessee into a timeout knowing all along that he was going to kick? Or did Tennessee's timeout really change his mind? https://t.co/T2mCbSh1FQ
— Jacob Rudner (@JacobRudner) October 13, 2024
Back-to-back special teams penalties on the #Gators between the 1st and 2nd half.

Illegal blind-side block on a kickoff that isn't returned. Impressive stuff.

Billy Napier with an absolute master-class on why he should be fired if Florida doesn't win this game.
— Abe Gordon (@AbeGordon) October 13, 2024
It’s pretty clear that Billy Napier had his team ready to play tonight. He absolutely fulfilled that part of his job description tonight. I do acknowledge that.

Unfortunately, he also stacked a lot of damaging stupidity and incompetence on top of that— and that’s just not an…
— InAllKindsOfWeather.com (@AllKindsWeather) October 13, 2024
Billy Napier deserves to be FIRED after this loss.
— Dan Thompson (@DKThompson) October 13, 2024
Florida looked like it had a field goal as time expired to give it a 6-0 lead at the half against Tennessee.

Instead, the Gators had 12 players on the field, ending the first half on a 10-second runoff.

Here's Billy Napier's reaction to the call. pic.twitter.com/a5HIQdq97e
— John Sartori (@JohnSartoriTV) October 13, 2024
Don’t know how anybody can see how well players are playing tonight but still losing and thinks “Yeah, Billy Napier is the guy”
— Brandon Olsen (@WNS_Brandon) October 13, 2024
Not surprised. Just an absolute failure and finding ways to lose. It's systemic.
— David Waters - Gators Breakdown (@GatorDave_SEC) October 13, 2024

The coach was even worse than usual this game.
Call sadgator crazy, but sadgator thought Napier did a great job of having the team ready to play. Some questionable in game moments, but anyone could have that. The offensive play calling was fine. In fairness to the guy, you have to let the season play out before any decisions are made. Like it or not, that is what they are going to do.

• Sad
Reactions: ocalaman
Call sadgator crazy, but sadgator thought Napier did a great job of having the team ready to play. Some questionable in game moments, but anyone could have that. The offensive play calling was fine. In fairness to the guy, you have to let the season play out before any decisions are made. Like it or not, that is what they are going to do.
And the Gators won the game anyway, just like you said,,,, right sad?

Your comments live up (or down) to your name, my man. His play calling was/is/has been pathetic. You were admirably correct is thinking the Gators would win the game, except for the fact that they didn't. They should have, though. It wasn't due to lack of game planning from the coaches or effort from the kids. They lost because Billy Napier is a horrible in-game coach, has no offensive imagination, calls plays like a high school coach and doesn't know how to make in-game adjustments. He's awful and proves it more and more every week that goes by. I do agree that there's no point in firing him until the season is over, but if he AND Scott Stricklin aren't replaced after the FSU game, the football program is going to continue to languish in mediocrity. It is very SAD indeed!

And the Gators won the game anyway, just like you said,,,, right sad?
Well, no they obviously didn’t (woulda coulda shoulda). However, a week ago everybody thought Tennessee would completely blow Florida off the field. Now the argument is, “well, Napier didn’t do enough to win.” You have to be objective and fair when you look at it. He did enough to make the game incredibly competitive and he did it with a loss of the primary QB and running back. Losing is never easy to accept, but let’s see if the team continues to give competitive effort. It’s only fair to both Napier and the team that they be allowed to do so.

Your comments live up (or down) to your name, my man. His play calling was/is/has been pathetic. You were admirably correct is thinking the Gators would win the game, except for the fact that they didn't. They should have, though. It wasn't due to lack of game planning from the coaches or effort from the kids. They lost because Billy Napier is a horrible in-game coach, has no offensive imagination, calls plays like a high school coach and doesn't know how to make in-game adjustments. He's awful and proves it more and more every week that goes by. I do agree that there's no point in firing him until the season is over, but if he AND Scott Stricklin aren't replaced after the FSU game, the football program is going to continue to languish in mediocrity. It is very SAD indeed!
Look, sadgator ain’t no expert football mind, but sadgator honestly saw some pretty decent play calling during that game all things considered. Tennessee’s defense is very good, and we were moving the ball very effectively with both QB’s notwithstanding the red zone mistakes.

At this point, sadgator isn’t arguing for Napier, he’s just trying to be objective about it. It wasn’t some incompetent mess like some want to suggest. It was a competent effort that fell just short.

Questionable in game moments? 4 trips to the red zone, 3 points. Too many dumb decisions and undisciplined penalties there to even mention. This is not a bug of Napier coaching, it is a feature. As long as he is our coach, you know he will lose 3-4 games a year that we should win just by his inability to put a disciplined team on the field and just general stupidity.

Look, sadgator ain’t no expert football mind, but sadgator honestly saw some pretty decent play calling during that game all things considered. Tennessee’s defense is very good, and we were moving the ball very effectively with both QB’s notwithstanding the red zone mistakes.

At this point, sadgator isn’t arguing for Napier, he’s just trying to be objective about it. It wasn’t some incompetent mess like some want to suggest. It was a competent effort that fell just short.
Competent effort? Look at our last drive in the first half and our possession in OT. They are the exact same possession. 3 points basically handed to us and we give it back with bad penalties and piss poor game management.

I would say that Napier has shown that his roster is a good SEC roster, probably within range of competing for a playoff spot. And now he has shown he can get guys to play with some attitude and purpose. The defense the last 2 weeks is the best for a long long time.

But he is always always always going to screw things up with lack of organization and discipline. He’s done it consistently for 3+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT