ADVERTISEMENT

Final Open Practice Observations...

abantony

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 12, 2006
Today's practice started with players coming out on their own. The first player on the field, with only about 20 fans and a couple of media guys there, was none other than NUMBER 15. He was out there a good 10 min before anyone else. What else would you expect though. I know some media guy has a sick picture of Tebow throwing alone with a ball boy under the lights at 5:30am.

Some things that stood out...

Tebow - His velocity was sharp. He definately has the arm strength for the NFL, I think the delivery/reads are really the only questions - but I'm not Mel Kiper Jr. He made great throws in the 7on7 scrimmage (pass skel?), including one touch pass over the top of the defense to Debose. Another bullet down the seam to Hernandez....Brantley was equally impressive, if not better. He threw deep balls on the money, and made good reads to check down in the scrimmage thing.

RB - Jeff Demps worked the first unit the most I think. He is noticably faster than anyone else on the field. He looked stronger than Rainey too. Mike G is fast too. Moody on the bike again. There were offensive plays that were designed to get Demps in space which look pretty nice. Brandon James worked at reciever. He had a nice route/catch on Major Wright.

WR - Debose looked like he belonged with the other recievers that played last year. He looks like he can get open, and he had the best play of the day on the deep ball from Tebow. Hammond/Hines/Lawrence all pretty much looked to be about equal. Cade Holliday looked solid, catching nice timing route from Brantley. Thompson looked great today, as he threw Bushell to the ground when he was trying to jam him at the line. Coach Gonzales got hyped. Thompson also might have one of the better set of hands, as a lot of other recievers dropped balls today (Debose would have had another big play in the scrimmage, but he dropped it over the middle deep), but he did not. Thompson, Nelson, Coop, and Hernandez were the main recievers Tebow was working with - not a bad group at all for a position of weakness. Stephen Alli was out there too. He dropped a few balls, but he is huge for a WR, especially such young guy.

TE - Hernandez is gonna have to play a lot of snaps, which is ok by me. But still, Parks doesn't look big enough right now, but I guess he can add weight. Him and Stephen Alli have the same build.

OL - It was tough to see much of the OL, but Patchan is enormous. Pounceys were huge too.

DL - We are big, fast, and deep at DE. Okine and Green would be a nice set of ends for most teams in the country. Okine is the biggest DE we have, including Dunlap. Marsh and Sanders were the starting DT. Still waiting for Hunter to step it up. I would love someone who knows to explain his situation to me - is he just not good enough, or doesn't work hard, or what. He had so much hype coming in. Gary Brown's legs are massive. He has run-stopper written all over him.

LB - Spikes was his usual self. He also had an amazing one handed catch, where the ball just stuck in his palm like it had glue on it. He was first team, with Stamper and AJ Jones. I think Spikes and Stamper are locks to start, but the other LB spot could be a nice battle if Doe is out, or even if he comes back. Bostic is a bit ahead of Jenkins, but that is expected. They are both pretty big though. Jenkins was lost a few times in coverage, but he was getting special attention from Coach Strong.

DB - Will Hill looks like he is going to be impossible to keep off the field. He has speed/height/strength/hands. He was actually the second player out after Tebow. Haden and Jenkins have great chemistry, and they are both real strong. WPL looks great in drills, but coaches said he was holding the reciever both days. Josh Evans looked the best of the new guys by far today. He had a great pick in the one on one drills vs WR.

Both QB took snaps under center, and practiced handing it off to the RB, usually demps/rainey...The offense looked to be practicing the hurry up offense Oklahoma-style, alternating between zone read option and passes down the middle. Looked a bit sloppy at times, but could be a killer weapon for us if we use it....There was just overall a lot more intensity today than yesterday - coaches and players.....

One thing I noticed is that certain young guys get significantly more attention from the coaches than others....Coach Gonzales was in Debose's. Strong was on Jenkins just as much. Hope this means they will see more of the action this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.