ADVERTISEMENT

Defense this year

Bull Gator
Sep 22, 2003
ok, so with the guys coming back, and Randy Shannon calling a defense for the first time in years.. What are we expecting, it's never our issue so we don't really go into it much but it's always our best unit..

First of all, thank God it's not Minister of base 4 front anymore.. I was far over with that in games we couldn't just out talent people with no attack scheme at QB's or forcing them into hurrying plays and give up 4 yards a carry in certain situations each time..

Although it was Iowa, Shannon certainly made a difference in the bowl game, you'd be silly not to have noticed or seen it coming that day. We kept it simple but not in the way like sideways hat was, we came after their QB and didn't make it obvious when we did with extended delay zone blitzes with Safeties, Will Backers etc... and you know what it did? Caused sacks and turnovers.. Shannon hasn't been a perfect DC in the past and has been accused of being a bit conservative in some deep safety coverage 2's of his own, but I still expect it to be better situationally and let our good players go out and be aggressive and make plays, I expect the players to play harder for him..

What do you guys think are our strengths that the rest of the football world might not know about yet, newcomers that might shine early, rising sophomores to step in... or even guys to drop off the unit?

Two words, Vosean. Joseph.

the defense is going to take a step back this year, our starters at DT aren't as good as last years and we're relying on freshman for depth(rotation). At DE we're elite, at safety we bring everyone back, but they were both average players imho. We're going to take a big hit at corner. This is a top 20 defense this year, but not elite like the past few imho.

I really like our d and like the apparent upgrade at DC. My only concern is our cornerbacks. We've basically had a pair of NFL corners for the last five years. Dawson and Gardner are good players, but it seems like there has to be a drop off there. I think we will be a tough d, but we will need more help from our offense than we've got the last two years, if we are going to win the East again.

gardner is going to be a great player here, think Reggie Nelson though, his natural position is free safety. When we can move him back there next year he's going to be a monster.

It'll still be a top 15-25 unit. The elite depth we've had the last few years won't be there anymore though. Nor will they be capable of winning us 17-14 type games against the better teams on the schedule like they've done in the past.

I too love V Joseph.

I worry about our DT and CB positions.

And depth, we are a couple injuries away from being in a lot of trouble.

Healthy, its still pretty good, but if we field another Nussmeir Speciial O in the 100s, this could be ugly.

Excited to see Randy Shannon in control

Top 25 sounds about right, but I think with the departures to the NFL and the loss of the CBs will hurt the overall defense. As mentioned before, depth is an issue too, but your schedule is favorable this year and I don't see very many juggernaut offenses you play in the SEC.

I think the "D" will carry its own weight, but still need to see some production from the QB position.

I really like our d and like the apparent upgrade at DC. My only concern is our cornerbacks. We've basically had a pair of NFL corners for the last five years. Dawson and Gardner are good players, but it seems like there has to be a drop off there. I think we will be a tough d, but we will need more help from our offense than we've got the last two years, if we are going to win the East again.
This is basically my position also. Our defense may not be top five this year, but I expect it to be, at worst, top 15. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I expect our offense to be vastly improved.

I think we win the East this year again

I think we win the East this year again
Yep, you, me, and Spurrier... :cool:

2014 - #8 Total-D
2015 - #8 Total-D
2016 - #6 Total-D

2017 - Still Top 10 Total-D,,, imoho.

CB Dawson led the team in 2016 with 7 Pass Breakups
He also had a pick-6 Int.
He had 24 Tkls, with 3.5 Tkls for loss, and a FF.
Played in 12 games (injuries), and had 7 starts.
He was a 2nd Team All-SEC selection by Pro Football Focus.

CB/S/Nic Chauncey Gardener - 13 games, with 3 starts against the toughest opponents to end the season.
He led the team with 8 ST's tackles. He totaled 9 Tkls vs UA in the SEC-C game.
He had 32 Tkls, 1 TFL, 3 PBU's, and 3 Ints, 1 vs FSU and 2, including a pick-6, as the Outback Bowl MVP.
At 5-11 204 and with his athleticism, he could play anywhere in the back 7 if needed, (CB/S/OLB)
He became just the 2nd true Fr in program history to win a Bowl MVP Award, joining Emmitt Smith (1987). Then he was named to ESPN’s, Sports Illustrated’s and the AP’s All-Bowl Team.

As far as the DT's go, I'm really not worried about the experience or the very solid young depth.
DT's routinely play and do well as true Fr.

DT Taven Bryan 6-5 293 rsJr (coming on big-time since the Outback)
DT Khairi Clark 6-2 319 rsJr
DT/DE CeCe Jefferson 6-1 261 Jr
DT/DE Luke Ancrum 6-5 262 rsSo
DT Jachai Polite 6-2 271 So
-------
DT Kyree Campbell 6-3 323 Fr
DT Elijah Conliffe 6-4 312 Fr
DT/OL Tedarrell Slaton 6-4 349 Fr
Where Slaton plays will depend on him, and on the needs of the team.

They are lay-O-ded at both DE and LB, with several that can play either position.

Yep, you, me, and Spurrier... :cool:

2014 - #8 Total-D
2015 - #8 Total-D
2016 - #6 Total-D

2017 - Still Top 10 Total-D,,, imoho.

CB Dawson led the team in 2016 with 7 Pass Breakups
He also had a pick-6 Int.
He had 24 Tkls, with 3.5 Tkls for loss, and a FF.
Played in 12 games (injuries), and had 7 starts.
He was a 2nd Team All-SEC selection by Pro Football Focus.

CB/S/Nic Chauncey Gardener - 13 games, with 3 starts against the toughest opponents to end the season.
He led the team with 8 ST's tackles. He totaled 9 Tkls vs UA in the SEC-C game.
He had 32 Tkls, 1 TFL, 3 PBU's, and 3 Ints, 1 vs FSU and 2, including a pick-6, as the Outback Bowl MVP.
At 5-11 204 and with his athleticism, he could play anywhere in the back 7 if needed, (CB/S/OLB)
He became just the 2nd true Fr in program history to win a Bowl MVP Award, joining Emmitt Smith (1987). Then he was named to ESPN’s, Sports Illustrated’s and the AP’s All-Bowl Team.

As far as the DT's go, I'm really not worried about the experience or the very solid young depth.
DT's routinely play and do well as true Fr.

DT Taven Bryan 6-5 293 rsJr (coming on big-time since the Outback)
DT Khairi Clark 6-2 319 rsJr
DT/DE CeCe Jefferson 6-1 261 Jr
DT/DE Luke Ancrum 6-5 262 rsSo
DT Jachai Polite 6-2 271 So
-------
DT Kyree Campbell 6-3 323 Fr
DT Elijah Conliffe 6-4 312 Fr
DT/OL Tedarrell Slaton 6-4 349 Fr
Where Slaton plays will depend on him, and on the needs of the team.

They are lay-O-ded at both DE and LB, with several that can play either position.
It's been a long, long time since anybody claimed that Florida is loaded at linebacker. We've been really thin at that position for years. I think people are worried because there will be so many new faces, not only as starters, but as back-ups. But IMO this could potentially be the most balanced and overall talented a team as we've had since Meyer left. There's always doubts and skepticism leading up to the first game, but I honestly think McElwain has done an excellent job of cleaning up the mess that Muschamp left behind, while winning 2 SEC East titles in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
It's been a long, long time since anybody claimed that Florida is loaded at linebacker. We've been really thin at that position for years. I think people are worried because there will be so many new faces, not only as starters, but as back-ups. But IMO this could potentially be the most balanced and overall talented a team as we've had since Meyer left. There's always doubts and skepticism leading up to the first game, but I honestly think McElwain has done an excellent job of cleaning up the mess that Muschamp left behind, while winning 2 SEC titles in the process.

It is amazing for all the defensive talent Chump brought in he could never really recruit super elite LB or worse any depth at the position. I worried day one when he ran off Shazier for being 'too small.' Kid was a stud in college and a first round pick. Then again I am a fan of gathering as much speed as possible, not worrying about what the tape measure says.

I worry about DT as that may be the most important position outside QB in all of football. And the CB need to be near where they have been. But we also have a much better DC that we have so hopefully that can cancel out much of the other stuff.

It's been a long, long time since anybody claimed that Florida is loaded at linebacker. We've been really thin at that position for years. I think people are worried because there will be so many new faces, not only as starters, but as back-ups. But IMO this could potentially be the most balanced and overall talented a team as we've had since Meyer left. There's always doubts and skepticism leading up to the first game, but I honestly think McElwain has done an excellent job of cleaning up the mess that Muschamp left behind, while winning 2 SEC East titles in the process.

Like I said in another thread about a month or so ago or less, that first game I could possibly see as our coming out game that Mac takes off in a way that Saban's team did over a higher ranked overrated opponent with the LEAST amount of returning starters of anyone in the NATION... Saw that Phil Steele had them ranked dead last 130 of 130 teams with players coming back, that's rough, especially on offense in the first game against our defense and Shannon with the entire off season to prep for a pro style run first offense that has ZERO qb play if that's still the kid playing from last year in the Orange bowl, he is miserable and looks more like what we have become accustomed to seeing on our side for about 7-8 years consecutive now... We absolutely have the most talented team especially on offense that we have had since like the 07 team when all the young guys emerged and you could see what we had for a few years to come and build on/develop...

It is amazing for all the defensive talent Chump brought in he could never really recruit super elite LB or worse any depth at the position. I worried day one when he ran off Shazier for being 'too small.' Kid was a stud in college and a first round pick. Then again I am a fan of gathering as much speed as possible, not worrying about what the tape measure says.

I worry about DT as that may be the most important position outside QB in all of football. And the CB need to be near where they have been. But we also have a much better DC that we have so hopefully that can cancel out much of the other stuff.

Shannon, I hope will make a massive difference for us if he does what im expecting, he's certainly done miracle work with recruiting and what he's brought in for us on the roster already from the South Florida area in ways we have NEVER seen.. or at least in my lifetime I know, for SURE... and added with Zaire with the offense with his experience and the time off to learn more about playing QB and get better, he's gotta be somewhat of a smart kid playing for Brian Kelly in that offense and in the system learning it for years, similar to the style attack we are wanting to get to at the very least, just a less advanced passing tree obviously, which makes it even easier boding well for the Gators to get him going faster with the playbook.. I really think Zaire is much better than people think or are giving credit to in our fanbase.. He doesn't have to be great, we have a kid that throws for 200 yards and a few TD's, be it rushing or passing with it... and Gators are in good shape with that defense behind it, if there's ever a time we should finally be able to afford the defense inevitably dropping off a bit from the elite level, it's now.. Thank GOD Randy is the DC now too or we would be straight f***ed with Collins out there again having the defense out there so many snaps never blitzing and not enough depth as he was gifted to easily be able to look good with, and did LESS with anyway.. Randy will get more out of them and we will be more aggressive than Collins at the very least, as anyone damn near in the country is. That guy was miserable and single handedly gave us zero chance to win the Bama and FSU games against equal and greater talent with that shit he was pulling, it was pathetic and impossible for me to watch.. Running the same exact defense every snap of football games like Grantham did wasting UGA's talent for years that was NFL ready, at least he was blitzing every play to cover most of it up and aggressive.. When I saw us in the same exact defense after choking at the Goal line and not scoring on Bama from their own half yard line FOUR straight plays which I knew was coming once Powell got targeted OOB and didn't score, Collins trotted us out there in the exact same defense from their own one as they were at our 1 yard line, and gave up a f***ing 3rd and 20 something because of it the same drive to where I had to turn the game off to keep my sanity for the first time ever in my lifetime... Again, THANK GOD he is gone and Temple took another black hole of shit from UF that are losers off our hands again.. Not gonna waste another second on him the rest of my life, until I see what happens to temple because of him to clown on his shortcomings with awful talent level and that piss poor scheme he's climbed up the latter on in coaching because of talent, even like he did at MSU..

Randy Shannon is a huge addition to our staff and has continued to be, especially in recruiting, the thing now is how long can we hang onto him if he wants to be a head coach again? Because after this year, he will be recognized again and some teams will come calling and want him, that's for sure, always does after you go to a big school and re build your name as a big time coordinator/head assistant coach.. Can't wait to see his D calls this fall for this young, fast and hella athletic scrappy group, along with an offense that MIGHT actually be decent and not make us wanna throw up then throw things at the tv set... We could be much better than people think because of Zaire, Toney and the new approach we look to be heading towards on offense.. Excited for this year more than any since 2009, don't know if that's sad or great..

It's been a long, long time since anybody claimed that Florida is loaded at linebacker. We've been really thin at that position for years. I think people are worried because there will be so many new faces, not only as starters, but as back-ups. --- I honestly think McElwain has done an excellent job of cleaning up the mess that Muschamp left behind, while winning 2 SEC East titles in the process.

LB Cristian Garcia 6-1 231 rsSr - Miami, FL - 13 Gms, 1 Start in Outback
Reserve LB and ST's. 7 Tkls, 5 vs Iowa replacing Reese. Former W-O.

Off the field: The Gainesville Police Department credited Garcia for preventing a sexual assault during the summer of 2016 and he appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America to discuss the story. Later, he was honored at the Vice Presidents House by former VP Joe Biden with one of the administrations inauguralIt’s On Us” Courage Awards.
* But the rivals just talk about AH,who came to UF from New England, not Miami. :rolleyes:

OLB Kylan Johnson 6-1 231 rsSo - 13 Gms, 6 Starts.
Reserve LB and ST's, starter for the last 5 games in place of injured Anzalone.
39 Tkls, 5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 PBU, 1 QBH, 1 FR.
Season high in win @ LSU with 8 Tkls and 1 sack.
~ As Dallas Skyline's QB, he was 14-1, throwing for 2,456 yds and had 36 TD's without throwing an Int. his Sr year. He also rushed for almost 400 yards and 10 TD's. --- I'd take him over Zaire as the Gator QB, IF he wasn't becoming such a great LB.... ;) -- :p -- :D

MLB David Reese 6-0 244 So - 12 Gms, 4 starts while replacing NFL 1st Rnd Jarrad Davis. Reserve LB and ST's. Missed the Outback with an injured wrist.
49 Tkls, 2 TFL - SEC Def Player of Week with 12 Tkls, .5 TFL in win @ LSU.
On a DE Zuniga blocked UA X-Pt, Reese recovered and returned it for a 2 Pt conversion. Named a Fr All SEC by Gridiron Now, and AA by Pro Football Focus and FWAA. :eek:

OLB Vosean Joseph 6-1 226 So - 13 Gms, 1 Start in Outback Bowl.
Played on all 4 ST's. 13 Tkls, 1 TFL, 1 PBU, 1 FR
Outback Start - 6 Tkls, 1 TFL, 1 PBU
===========

Others that will be 'Chomping at the Bit' for playing time in the rotation:

OLB Rayshad Jackson 6-0 226
- Miami, FL, 9 Gms as Reserve and ST's.
2 Tkls, 1 vs Iowa in Outback.
2014 Miami-Dade N vs S All-Star game. 2014 All-Dade County 2nd Team…

OLB Jeremiah Moon 6-4 218 rsFr - Hoover, AL, 2 Gms, 3 Tkls, then injured out for season. 2015 MS-AL All-Star Game - AL Class 7A 1st-Team All-State
-------
LB Lacedrick Brunson 6-2 220 Fr - Miami, FL
Named to the Class 5A All-Dade First Team Defense in 2015 and 2016

LB Nick Smith 6-1 213 Fr - Orlando, FL
In the 2016 FHSAA Class 8A State Championship he had 4 Tkls, 1 PBU.
Named to the Florida All-State Class 8A 3rd-Team Defensive.

LB Ventrell Miller 5-11 222 Fr - Lakeland, FL
2016 Florida All-State Class 7A 2nd-Team Defense - Polk Co. PoY
2015 Florida All-State Class 7A 1st-Team Defense

LB James Houston IV 6-1 233 Fr - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - ACL, missed Sr season. HS Jr - 37 Tkls, 20 solo, 1 sack, 1 Int, 1 FF.
-----------
LB Jahim Lawrence 5-11 223 rsSo - Hollywood, FL - W-O
LB Danny Weldon 6-1 223 rsSo - Tampa, FL - W-O
LB Brendan Ackerman 5-11 221 Fr - Ocala, FL - W-O (Brady's son)
Never know, one of those W-O's might turn out to be the next Cristian Garcia. :cool:
===============

BTW, Clemson Jr X-fer OT Jake Fruhmorgen didn't last a week at UF before bailing out.... :confused:

too much actual relevant football talk for insta, noted...

Not at all dumb-azz, I just posted that to give one of you twits a dose of your own.... :p

However, it was a whole lot of disconnected drivel, loaded with your own idiot opinions imo.
Nothing wrong with that though, because you are entitled to your opinions, even when you're FoS... :cool:

whenever you wanna enlighten us with anything we can't find copy and pasted from our own Gatorzone sight you let me know and we can engage in football discussion and see who knows what they are talking about any day bud...

I'm still waiting on your professional evaluation of Kyle Trask, taken from his Hudl highlights film, but for some reason you don't seem able to even manage that much.... :rolleyes: -- all go, no show... o_O

i've watched all of his small sample size film from HS all the way through and both spring games... Would be able to get a better gauge if I was on the staff and could watch actual practices in pass scale and 7 on 7 periods in person... From what i've seen though, I certainly do NOT see whatever it is you see or what the staff that really can't be trusted to date on pulling the trigger on a guy that doesn't start in HS which is about the rarest thing I've ever come across and as a 3 star talked up and offered on the spot by no big school but only UF on the spot like a 5 star hidden gem talent...

but to act like from the HS, and small college samples from Zaire to act like he is so awful like you have stated numerous times is quite, backwards... He has plenty of size, talent, arm strength as a cannon for an arm... Can run against anyone and is fairly elusive for his size with it... He will be our starter, and if he's not then it just shows he's either not good at all or Franks has separated himself somehow in fall camp... Will be a catch 22 situation if he's not named the starter for the opener in the way to view it for anyone that doesn't get to watch practices...

So, that's you idea of a solid, point by point QB evaluation is it? :confused:

Just as I thought, a totally clueless mouth runner with nothing but excuses to offer for being unable to give a proper QB evaluation. You instead attempt to fall back on 'but he wasn't a HS starter' BS, instead of just giving a point by point eval of what he actually did when he was on the field. o_O

But don't worry about it though, because I won't bother to ask you for any other player evaluations in the future, now that I've seen what you don't have to offer... :cool:

And why should anybody take any evaluations from you seriously? Where and when have you played anything? Or coached? Don't you tell us all the time we're not coaches so our opinions don't matter? Does that not apply to you also Mr. all knowing football observer?

Your confetti won't protect you from you own inability to give a point by point eval of Trask, while you make unqualified pronouncements on how great of a QB that your boy Zaire is... :rolleyes:

Ahhh, the jerkers dunny-goater pivot point has arrived to lick up the leftovers...
puke-smiley-emoticon.gif

And why should anybody take any evaluations from you seriously? Where and when have you played anything? Or coached? Don't you tell us all the time we're not coaches so our opinions don't matter? Does that not apply to you also Mr. all knowing football observer?

and he's jumping all over an actual coaches realistic view of the situation by simply saying I haven't seen enough of him to know in person or in practices, which is what any other coach would tell you... and they'd also tell you it's a problem that after high school and a year of college and two springs that I don't have enough to watch to really know anything about him...

Also, I should never say this here but I do know and talk to one of the guys on our current staff

I think Insta, to this day still doesn't even know that ive been a coach for years, and in the SEC for two of those years in the toughest and best division overall in college football... Im sure his explanation for MSU rising to #1 the next year I moved jobs was a direct result of my absence. Must have been that oustanding minister of tampa 10 cvg. Collins

Reactions: oozie7
Then you are the most over-qualified jerk, with the most undeserved arrogance, of any coach that I've ever seen posting day and night on this message board. :confused:

Collins was a freakin genius compared to the total chit that I've seem from you. If UF ever hires you, then the down-the-tubes transformation will surely be confirmed, parish the thought and rue the day, if that ever occurs... :oops:

Last edited:
just so you know, you'd be amazed the coaches that post on boards around the internet like me in their down time anonymously... right under your nose, I can guarantee you've called at least one UF coach a twit too...

We're all clueless while the guy making definitive evaluations based on two series a game on a highlight tape is the genius. Brilliant.

And guess what, being a UF coach does not exempt anyone from being a twit or a chump like you.

There are 2 kinds of coaches in the world:
The ones that have been fired for being twit chumps,
and the ones that are going to be fired for being twit chumps.
(a minor twist on a quote from a real Bum of a coach)

And guess what, being a UF coach does not exempt anyone from being a twit or a chump like you.

There are 2 kinds of coaches in the world:
The ones that have been fired for being twit chumps,
and the ones that are going to be fired for being twit chumps.
(a minor twist on a quote from a real Bum of a coach)

So what are you?

We're all clueless while the guy making definitive evaluations based on two series a game on a highlight tape is the genius. Brilliant.

While you couldn't even get your own head outta your butt long enough to make any kind of Eval at all, but you know all there is to know about Zaire, who has less than 100 snaps as a college QB.
Moronic, like always. o_O

but iv'e never been fired, iv'e just been promoted as a young up and comer.. thank God the people that actually know what the f*** they are doing in the football world evaluate my expertise and resume...

it's only a matter of time with my ties before I end up at UF, prepare yourself...

but iv'e never been fired, iv'e just been promoted as a young up and comer.. thank God the people that actually know what the f*** they are doing in the football world evaluate my expertise and resume...

it's only a matter of time with my ties before I end up at UF, prepare yourself...

Ties and chin wipin' go together you know... :rolleyes:

And it's twits like you that make me kinda look forward to my coming dirt-nap... :cool:

Not as bad as Hillbillery being elected President, but in that neighborhood... :oops:

Ties and chin wipin' go together you know... :rolleyes:

And it's twits like you that make me kinda look forward to my coming dirt-nap... :cool:

Not as bad as Hillbillery being elected President, but in that neighborhood... :oops:

Why does everything go back to homosexuality with you?

While you couldn't even get your own head outta your butt long enough to make any kind of Eval at all, but you know all there is to know about Zaire, who has less than 100 snaps as a college QB.
Moronic, like always. o_O

I've already asked you once to link all these pronouncements about 'my boy' Zaire I've supposedly made. Or was that just another in a long line of lies from you on this board?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT