ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

Starting Position Matchups:

C Micah Handlogten 7-1 235 So - 10.0 Pts / 8.5 Rbs / 1.0 Blk
C Federiko Federiko 6-11 225 Jr --- 7.3 Pts / 7.8 Rbs / 3.0 Blk

PF Tyrese Samuel 6-10 239 G-Sr - 12.3 Pts / 8.5 Rbs / 1.0 Blk
PF Blake Hinson 6-8 230 Sr ------- 20.5 Pts / 5.8 Rbs

SF Will Richard 6-4 206 Jr - 11.8 Pts / 2.8 Rbs / 0.25 Blk
SF Zack Austin 6-7 210 Jr --- 5.5 Pts / 5.5 Rbs

SG Riley Kugel 6-5 207 So ---- 13.0 Pts / 3.5 Rbs / 0.25 Blk
SG Ismael Leggett 6-3 185 Jr - 15.0 Pts/ 8.0 Rbs

PG Walter Clayton Jr 6-2 195 Jr --- 14.8 Pts / 3.5 Rbs / 5.0 Ast / 0.50 Blk
PG Carlton Carrington 6-5 190 Fr - 18.0 Pts / 5.5 Rbs / 6.2 Ast

I like the Gators size.
I like that all 5 Gator starters are averaging double digit scoring.
I really like the Gator's quality and depth off the bench.
CG Pullin 6-4 G-Sr ------- 15.0 Pts / 5.0 Rbs / Ast 4
PF Condon 6-11 Fr -------- 9.8 Pts 4.5 Rbs / 4 Blk
PF/SF Haugh 6-9 4.0 Fr - 4.0 Pts / 5.3 Rbs / 3 Blk
-----
Pitt likes to run with a quick tempo, and I believe that suits the Gators and their depth. This should be a really interesting contest to watch unfold....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicktheslick
Just a FYI if you're interested in the current rankings.....

362 Teams Rankings:

3. Miami 5-0 (Gators won the pre-season scrimmage @ ScUM)
5. TX 4-1

8. UA 4-0
15. TN 4-1
16. aTm 4-0
23. UK 4-1
28. AU 4-1
29 Ark 4-1
31 MsSt 5-0
39. OK 4-0
56. Mizzou 3-2
59 VU 3-1
76. FLORIDA 3-1
105 LSU 3-2
112 FSU 4-1 (Gators 89 - 68 FSUcks)
116 Miss 4-0
117 SCa 5-0
139 UGly 2-3

https://theresourcenexus.com/college-basketball-rankings/

Starting Position Matchups:

C Micah Handlogten 7-1 235 So - 10.0 Pts / 8.5 Rbs / 1.0 Blk
C Federiko Federiko 6-11 225 Jr --- 7.3 Pts / 7.8 Rbs / 3.0 Blk

PF Tyrese Samuel 6-10 239 G-Sr - 12.3 Pts / 8.5 Rbs / 1.0 Blk
PF Blake Hinson 6-8 230 Sr ------- 20.5 Pts / 5.8 Rbs

SF Will Richard 6-4 206 Jr - 11.8 Pts / 2.8 Rbs / 0.25 Blk
SF Zack Austin 6-7 210 Jr --- 5.5 Pts / 5.5 Rbs

SG Riley Kugel 6-5 207 So ---- 13.0 Pts / 3.5 Rbs / 0.25 Blk
SG Ismael Leggett 6-3 185 Jr - 15.0 Pts/ 8.0 Rbs

PG Walter Clayton Jr 6-2 195 Jr --- 14.8 Pts / 3.5 Rbs / 5.0 Ast / 0.50 Blk
PG Carlton Carrington 6-5 190 Fr - 18.0 Pts / 5.5 Rbs / 6.2 Ast

I like the Gators size.
I like that all 5 Gator starters are averaging double digit scoring.
I really like the Gator's quality and depth off the bench.
CG Pullin 6-4 G-Sr ------- 15.0 Pts / 5.0 Rbs / Ast 4
PF Condon 6-11 Fr -------- 9.8 Pts 4.5 Rbs / 4 Blk
PF/SF Haugh 6-9 4.0 Fr - 4.0 Pts / 5.3 Rbs / 3 Blk
-----
Pitt likes to run with a quick tempo, and I believe that suits the Gators and their depth. This should be a really interesting contest to watch unfold....
We have the guard depth to run...Kugel, Clayton, Richard, Pullin, Aberdeen....all can play the 1 or 2...

We have the guard depth to run...Kugel, Clayton, Richard, Pullin, Aberdeen....all can play the 1 or 2...
Actually, those guys can also play SF. (1-2-3)
He could put 3 of them on the floor at the same time with Han & Sam or Con and Haugh.
As I've said previously, the Gators only have two positions imo, the Bigs and the Smalls.
Bigs can play the 3-4-5 and the Smalls can play the 1-2-3...

Reactions: Countygator1
Pitt is a huge and deep team. Their best player is a 6'8" PF from Deltona, FL. But they have a 7 footer and 2 6'11 guys and their starting guards are 6'5" and 6'3" and they go 9 deep. Our bigs need to stay out of foul trouble and we have to limit turnovers. Good test.

Good close to the first half. Down 9 and we clawed our way back into it. Feels like once we tied it up for the first time we settled down some. Hate our big dude got hurt. Hope it's not serious. We need his big 7 foot body.

Good solid win over a very good team. Held our composure after the injury. We have 5-7 minute stretches every game where we look like a top 10 team. Had one of those tonight and that was the difference. Aberdeen needs more than 4-5 minutes. He has great energy and is good on D. We can really rest our guards.

UF also took advantage of Pitt and their lack of patience to look for good shots from beyond 3 point land.
Pitt hadn't been in a close game all year. Their closest margin was 14 but they were up double digits most of that game. Basket gets smaller when the score gets tighter.

Good solid win over a very good team. Held our composure after the injury. We have 5-7 minute stretches every game where we look like a top 10 team. Had one of those tonight and that was the difference. Aberdeen needs more than 4-5 minutes. He has great energy and is good on D. We can really rest our guards.
Yep - my thoughts as well. This year's team is much more athletic than last year...3-4 guys can get a shot off at any time if needed.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Friday 5:30 PM on ESPN vs Baylor

By The Numbers

86 UF vs Pitt 71

20 Samuel

11 Condon
10 Pullin
7 Haugh
5 Kugel
5 Richard

Field Goals
9-11 Samuel
11-17 Clayton
4-8 Condon

3-8 Haugh
2-9 Kugel
1-5 Pullin
1-6 Richard
0-1 Handlogten
0-1 Aberdeen

Shooting 3's
6-8 Clayton
1-3 Haugh

1-6 Kugel
0-4 Richard
0-2 Samuel
0-1 Aberdeen

Free Throws
3-3 Richard
8-10 Pullin

3-5 Condon
2-6 Samuel

Rebounds
10 Samuel - 3-7

6 Condon - 1-5
5 Clayton - 0-5
5 Haugh - 1-4
4 Richard - 0-4
2 Kugel - 1-1
2 Pullin - 0-2
1 Aberdeen - 0-1
2 Team - 1-1
Totals 7-30

Minutes - PF's
31 Clayton - 2
30 Samuel - 1
30 Kugel - 3
29 Pullin - 1

28 Richard - 4
24 Condon - 2
22 Haugh - 5 (fouled-out at 1:47 left in game)
5 Aberdeen - 0

Assists - TO's
8 Pullin 1
6 Kugel 2
3 Samuel 0
1 Aberdeen 0

2 Clayton 2
2 Richard 1
1 Condon 1
1 Haugh 1
24 Total 8

11 Steals
3 Samuel

2 Clayton
2 Kugel
2 Pullin
1 Richard
1 Condon

Blocks
3 Samuel

1 Clayton
1 Condon
1 Haugh

Pitt hadn't been in a close game all year. Their closest margin was 14 but they were up double digits most of that game. Basket gets smaller when the score gets tighter.
Stop blowing smoke up Pitt's ass, UF was the first power conference team they played all season, all their prior stats were against inferior scrub teams.

UF is a top 15 team with a lot of upside. One of the biggest differences with this team vs teams of the past, is that they challenge every shot and are super aggressive. Golden really has an eye for talent and idea of how he wants to win. This team can beat you in a lot of ways and give it to you any way you want it.
That began after the Va loss. I believe that they lost to Va because they let Va set up their half court offense, instead of pressuring them at or before they crossed mid-court and I said so then.

Congrats to their continued development and playing for each other instead of trying to be a star individually. The assists (24) to TO's (8) vs Pitt was excellent imo, as was their rebounding team wide (37)....

GoooooooooGATORS, now beat the snot outta Baylor the same way.....

What we're seeing with Golden is what we've been waiting on for a UF football coach. Here's hoping Billy Napster can be Golden too. Basketball is such a smaller roster than football that structural changes from the coach can be done much quicker since impact can be done with just a few players. Golden has not wasted time and the current roster components are vastly improved from prior years. Football roster changes, structural program improvements, and getting players up to speed is slower in football compared to basketball. Our secondary and O-line are well behind the other position groups so far under Billy boy.

Several of us originally thought Matt McMahon would have been Stricklin's first choice but I'm impressed so far.

I think this team may be more competitive in the SEC than I thought. If Kugel can ever start hitting some shots I think this team can compete with the top SEC teams.

Cg1, sorry dude, but that's a little off, if I'm understanding you?
Pitt never had a single moment in that game where they lead UF by double digits...

Due to starting cold, Pitt went on a 7 pt run to begin the game.
UF made it 4-7 and then Pitt went on another run to make it 7-14 (+7)
Gator's fought back before Pitt got it to 10-19 for their largest lead in the game, a +9
Pitt NEVER had a double digit lead on the Gators in the entire game....

By the 10 minute mark, the Gator's had it tied a 20-20.
The rest of the first half was back and forth until near the end of the half when UF made the last 3 buckets (3-2-3) to take a +5 half time lead at 39-34.

Pitt came back in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half to take a 1 Pt lead, before UF again took the lead, and then never lost the lead again for the rest of the game.

By 10 minutes into the 2nd half, it was UF with a double digit lead which they kept for the rest of the game, and they finished the game at +15,
==========

However as I've said before, I agree on Aberdeen getting a little more time, because I've always advocated to play the roster whenever that's feasible. I'd give him 2-3 minutes time off of Kugel's time, and off Richard's playing time, with that being flexible depending on who is have the best game on any given day...

Cg1, sorry dude, but that's a little off, if I'm understanding you?
Pitt never had a single moment in that game where they lead UF by double digits...

Due to starting cold, Pitt went on a 7 pt run to begin the game.
UF made it 4-7 and then Pitt went on another run to make it 7-14 (+7)
Gator's fought back before Pitt got it to 10-19 for their largest lead in the game, a +9
Pitt NEVER had a double digit lead on the Gators in the entire game....

By the 10 minute mark, the Gator's had it tied a 20-20.
The rest of the first half was back and forth until near the end of the half when UF made the last 3 buckets (3-2-3) to take a +5 half time lead at 39-34.

Pitt came back in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half to take a 1 Pt lead, before UF again took the lead, and then never lost the lead again for the rest of the game.

By 10 minutes into the 2nd half, it was UF with a double digit lead which they kept for the rest of the game, and they finished the game at +15,
==========

However as I've said before, I agree on Aberdeen getting a little more time, because I've always advocated to play the roster whenever that's feasible. I'd give him 2-3 minutes time off of Kugel's time, and off Richard's playing time, with that being flexible depending on who is have the best game on any given day...
Not in our game, I meant all their games prior to playing Florida. Pitt had double digit leads in all their games prior to playing florida.

I really love this Gator team. Walter Clayton, Jr. played sick and had an off night. Micah Handlogten was out due to a sprained ankle and Baylor was just insane shooting 3's. Yet we only lost by 4. We were solid shooting from the field and the foul line, outrebounded them, had more fast break points by a wide margin and Riley Kugel was awesome on both ends of the court. But the difference was the 3 point arc. Great game and like one of the announcers said several times, Florida is a Top 25 team. Go Gators!!

If we take Bay

I really love this Gator team. Walter Clayton, Jr. played sick and had an off night. Micah Handlogten was out due to a sprained ankle and Baylor was just insane shooting 3's. Yet we only lost by 4. We were solid shooting from the field and the foul line, outrebounded them, had more fast break points by a wide margin and Riley Kugel was awesome on both ends of the court. But the difference was the 3 point arc. Great game and like one of the announcers said several times, Florida is a Top 25 team. Go Gators!!

I haven't watched a whole lot of SEC teams playing this year but I think we should be pretty competitive. I don't think there is any team in the SEC that looks like they are a cut above the other good teams in conference.

If we take Bay

I haven't watched a whole lot of SEC teams playing this year but I think we should be pretty competitive. I don't think there is any team in the SEC that looks like they are a cut above the other good teams in conference.
Apparently, UT is a final four caliber team per tv commentators. They lost a close one to #1 KU.

The iG's where they lost the game against Baylor thoughts:
UF 91 - 95 BU

3's -- UF 8 of 26, 30.8% -- BU 14 of 25, 56.0%
Plus the calls and the no-calls from the game Officials.

Baylor basketball has players with better stiff-arms than their football team....
They have mastered the art of the elbow and/or forearm to the chest on their drive moves...
Credit where due, they were red-hot shooting their 3's

Like Va, the thug team won,,, with the aid of the officials.
Until our guys learn/decide to return the thug favors, this will not stop.
And until the HC is willing to confront the officials, nothing will change.

I don't care if the officials call a game tight or loose.
But I do very much care if they call it fair/even on both teams.
==========

Gator's Shooting of 3's:

Condon >>> 0-2
Zyon >>>>> 0-1
Total >>>>> 0 of 3
Make 2 of those 3 shots and they win.

-----
Clayton >>> 1-8 (coaching decisions, he should not have played 30 min. when sick)
Richard >>> 1-5 (was Richard sick too???)
Total >>>>> 2 of 13 for 15.4% --- WTF???
If they had just gone 4 of 13 they win the game....

==========

Aberdeen > 2-4 (still needs even more playing time)
Kugel >>>> 4-6
Total >>>>> 6 of 10 for 60%

Grand Combined Total 8 of 26 for 30.8%
By just going 10 of 26 they'd win.
Why are the cold shooters taking way more shots than the hot shooters?
Cold went 2 of 16, while Hot was going 6 of 10.... (that's on the coaching)

Credit improvement where it's due:
They went 21 of 27 for 77.8% at the FT line.
===============

For Extra Credit: WTF happened to Clayton's shooting? And IF sick, then why was he left in the game?
30 Mins. FG 3-12 -- 3's 1-8 -- FT 4-6 = 11 Pts
In this game, Denzel needed to get about 1/2 of Walter's minutes of play. -- Coaching decisions...

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT